Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Im not sure about that. I think that if Samsung came out with a notch they would of have been criticized heavier.

But we're not talking about the notch we're talking about 18:9 phones and they're all pretty much 18:9 this year. If we want to go back to 16:9 it has to be the customers of all major players.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iOS (2007) vs Android (2008)

2007-2017
First five years, iOS was more influential to Android. Last five years, Android has been more influential to iOS.

Display - Note7
Camera - Note7
Battery life - S7 edge
Value - OnePlus 3

Display - 5T or X or Note8
Camera - Pixel 2 / 2 XL
Battery life - Pixel 2 XL
Value - Essential PH-1

Best
Google Pixel 2 / 2 XL
LG V30
OnePlus 5T
Essential PH-1
Samsung Galaxy Note8
Apple iPhone X

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think I finally gave in to iOS permanently, well I say permanently but I really mean the foreseeable future. I had many reasons for going this route, but I had been leaning towards it more and more the past 2 years.

1) hardware design: Gone are the glory days of the Note series IMO, that was one of the major reasons I stayed on Android. The glorious huge, 16:9 phablet without curved edges is now gone, and I cannot stand the current Note 8. Other android phones are enticing, even without a 16:9 ratio, but very slow OS updates and a lack of a stylus won't win me over. Apple, IMO, really got the X hardware right, although it's too small and I can't wait for a X-plus version. Granted it has the same weird narrow aspect ratio and that's a negative, but with the non curved edges I can deal with it. I expected at least Google to give them a run for their money, but they released the piss poor pixel 2.

2) widgets: This was a big one for me, to be able to squeeze in several widgets in a home screen and see, at a glance, all of my information. After being on iOS for a while I've come to appreciate the organized and uniform look and feel of iOS widgets. Although iOS widgets are still far inferior to Android widgets, just something about android widgets turned me off after trying to get back on android this past year. They were just disjointed, different styles, fonts, padding, functionality, coloring, background, etc etc made me find my home screens ugly and inelegant. Don't get me wrong, iOS ultra boring icon grid doesn't exactly set me on fire, but at least its consistent.

3) ecosystem: There really is no easy replacement for Apple's ecosystem. My wife and kids have facetime, we have an apple TV at home, etc. Every single family member or other person we see has Apple, sometimes I wonder if android phones exist in the wild. So every time I'm over a family members house and want to put up my kids pictures/movies onscreen, there is always an Apple TV there. I really like imessage as well. I think Google is doing themselves a huge disservice by having so many overlapping apps that do the same thing, but don't mesh together. Google needs to just consolidate them all into 1 or 2 apps, messaging, video, google voice, etc. There are things in the google ecosystem I miss, with google voice integration being chief among them, and also things like having waze on android auto, but I've learned to live without them.

Also in terms of ecosystem, I prefer the apple watch and how it interfaces with iOS. I also didn't feel like selling my 2 SS watches and trying to figure out how to replace them on android.

So I'm pretty thrilled with my X, like I said my only gripe is how small it is and wish for a plus version. To me it's the most bezel free phone out of any other phone except maybe the Essential. I know in reality it's not if you add up the bezel percentage, but Apple really designed it to feel like no bezels. I don't love the notch, but it honestly disappears very quickly and it's also free space IMO because the status bar is up there.

What will pull me away? Well a 16:9 phone with no bezels and no curved edges would have a very good chance, but then it would have to have rapid OS updates and preferably a stylus. A foldable phone might, but we won't see one for 5-10 years and I don't include next year's "bendable" phones in that category, although I'm withholding judgment until I actually see one. It's actually a huge relief to just settle on one phone and not be constantly feeling anxiety when trying to decide on a phone.

You and I appear have very similar sentiments and personal use cases Doc. I also still don’t love the tall and skinny form factor but realize I just better come to accept it as I don’t think it’s going anywhere. As long as the display isn’t curved, I’ll cope with it.

I also prefer Apple’s implementation of widgets. Agree that overall they’re not quite as functional as may on Android but appreciate the consistent design and fact that they’re accessible from anywhere in the OS.

And while I prefer many elements/services of Google’s ecosystem (Assistant/Home, Gmail, Maps, Android TV and Chromecast Audio to name a few), the synergies across Apple’s hardware and even some of their services are still just better overall. HomeKit, iMessage, Safari, Keychain, backup solutions are better than Google’s counterparts, as is the Apple Watch and their desktop OS, and how everything ties together. I certainly understand this won’t apply to everyone as most people don’t necessarily use Apple gear for most/all of their tech needs but it you do, the experience really is greater than the sum of its parts, IMO. That’s where I live right now and for all of Apple’s flaws, it’s still the best overall experience for me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The GS8 and NOTE 8 have rather subtle curves compared to the GS7. What dont you like about the curves?

They are less than on previous models, but still painfully obvious. You lose functionality and screen real estate in my experience. I think this is one of those things that is just very personal, but in terms of aesthetics and functionality it's a downgrade for me.

Reactions: 5105973 and tbayrgs

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
They are less than on previous models, but still painfully obvious. You lose functionality and screen real estate in my experience. I think this is one of those things that is just very personal, but in terms of aesthetics and functionality it's a downgrade for me.
Thats true, I noticed immediately how the Galaxy S8 screen felt narrower than the iPhone X even though both have a 5.8" screen.

Edit: I think Samsung uses the edge to differentiate from other phones. Similar to how Apple has embraced the notch.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thats true, I noticed immediately how the Galaxy S8 screen felt narrower than the iPhone X even though both have a 5.8" screen.

Edit: I think Samsung uses the edge to differentiate from other phones. Similar to how Apple has embraced the notch.
This is definitely the first year I have felt obligated to examine aspect ratios. Prior to this year, bigger screens were bigger screens. At least, that's how it felt.

Although, I suppose iPhone 5 was a stretch.
[doublepost=1512178491][/doublepost]The fact that the notch on iPhone X blocks the DND icon is annoying as hell. You can go a really long time not realizing DND is on.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Picked up a Pixel 2 XL yesterday to mess around with.

Having issues figuring out how to set up something similar to "iCloud" . My friend told me Google Drive, but does google drive save app settings / chat messages etc?

That has really only been my issue so far with android, I am on 8.1, haven't used android since 3.1 but I am loving it so far, and I could see myself hanging onto this and switching back and forth.

Reactions: nburwell

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Picked up a Pixel 2 XL yesterday to mess around with.

Having issues figuring out how to set up something similar to "iCloud" . My friend told me Google Drive, but does google drive save app settings / chat messages etc?

That has really only been my issue so far with android, I am on 8.1, haven't used android since 3.1 but I am loving it so far, and I could see myself hanging onto this and switching back and forth.

The Pixel has something close to iCloud backup but not quite as good. Go to Settings -> System -> Backup. Turn on Backup to Google Drive. You can see what's backed up there on that settings page.

Reactions: Ayemerica

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
LOL! Triggered. Read the comments. It's hilarious. This guy is clueless.

2007 - iPhone OS
2008 - iPhone OS2 > Android 1.0
2009 - iPhone OS3 > Eclair
2010 - iOS4 > Gingerbread
2011 - iOS5 > Ice Cream Sandwich
2012 - iOS6 > Jelly Bean
2013 - iOS7 < KitKat
2014 - iOS8 > Lollipop
2015 - iOS9 < Marshmallow
2016 - iOS10 < Nougat
2017 - iOS11 < Oreo

At some point in 2013, it shifted. Android 5/Lollipop wasn't prime time yet like iOS7 had its bugs early on. The last few years, Android has gotten better and iOS has been stuck on neutral or a step back.

My favorite iOS firmware is between 4-6 but I don't mind 9 and 10 either. I got accustomed to the current look. My favorite Android firmware is probably between Marshmallow or Nougat. Maybe Android 7 for split-view. It used to be KitKat.

Most of the X's weaknesses is related to iOS and not hardware. Beta project.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I use Android because even if it has some downsides the upsides far outweigh them. I like having control so iOS really is a non starter for me, I don't want Apple telling me how to use my device. I appreciate Apples Hardware quality and can see how the EcoSystem may appeal to some but with a small amount of knowledge you can get your Android phone integrated really well with a large range of devices. There was a time where Android was clearly behind iOS in almost all areas except customization but in 2017 they are basically on par which makes Android a very competitive choice.

Reactions: koigirl

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
About ready to retire my Nexus 6p due to the intermittent touch problems and my Nexus 6 due to old age which has been surprisingly decent. May try out an 8+

How good are the content blockers on iOS? I'm sure there are no system wide ad blockers like on Android but something good for web browsing would help ease the sting.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
About ready to retire my Nexus 6p due to the intermittent touch problems and my Nexus 6 due to old age which has been surprisingly decent. May try out an 8+

How good are the content blockers on iOS? I'm sure there are no system wide ad blockers like on Android but something good for web browsing would help ease the sting.

the nice thing is safari allows content blockers like adguard, etc. that can be found in the app store.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So I loaded up my iPad mini after about 3 months sitting dead and was prompted to log back in from settings. I ended up locked out and had to reset my password.

After getting that fixed and my apps updated I was kind of underwhelmed with the whole device and couldn't find much use for it. My pixel was more reach worthy.

Is there really much of a difference between an iPhone and iPad mini? I mean besides calling and texting and having a larger screen?

If I can't get into the iPad mini then I seriously suspect I would be unable to do so with an iPhone? :confused:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So I loaded up my iPad mini after about 3 months sitting dead and was prompted to log back in from settings. I ended up locked out and had to reset my password.

After getting that fixed and my apps updated I was kind of underwhelmed with the whole device and couldn't find much use for it. My pixel was more reach worthy.

Is there really much of a difference between an iPhone and iPad mini? I mean besides calling and texting and having a larger screen?

If I can't get into the iPad mini then I seriously suspect I would be unable to do so with an iPhone? :confused:
Lol, I’ve tried to put some thought into how to answer your question because there is a difference but notifications keep sliding down over my iPhone X display telling me net neutrality has been killed and my brain keeps turning to mush. Doesn’t help I’ve got a bad cold or light flu. Anyway, for me it’s the cameras and whatever AR and/or VR capabilities that exist on the phone that add the excitement on a phone over a tablet. A tablet is just a basic workhorse. It’s supposed to be capable and ergonomic that it sort of disappears and your content or your work becomes your focus. It’s not the piece of art a beautifully designed phone is.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Lol, I’ve tried to put some thought into how to answer your question because there is a difference but notifications keep sliding down over my iPhone X display telling me net neutrality has been killed and my brain keeps turning to mush. Doesn’t help I’ve got a bad cold or light flu. Anyway, for me it’s the cameras and whatever AR and/or VR capabilities that exist on the phone that add the excitement on a phone over a tablet. A tablet is just a basic workhorse. It’s supposed to be capable and ergonomic that it sort of disappears and your content or your work becomes your focus. It’s not the piece of art a beautifully designed phone is.

I think more or less I was posting and questioning myself out loud about a possible iPhone purchase. I have also thought about an iPad pro 12.9 as a surface pro 3 replacement. The sp3 really didn't do it for me either mostly because it was just awkward to use and it well was Microsoft o_O

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

App wise they will be spacious on the iPad because they are designed for it. Reading is better also.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
IPP I could find use for the Apple pencil and the ability to leave it on unattended and attach or remove the keyboard at will.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
My mother just set up her iPhone 8 Plus today at the AT&T store and was willing to give me her mint condition 6 Plus which was upgraded to iOS11. Within 30 minutes, I gave it back to her saying I won't find any use for it.

That's why I rarely buy iPhones. My younger brother can give me his X within two years and I still won't find any use for it. I'm chillaxin' at the Brea Mall and went to check on the X again. Man, Reachability is NOT consistent. The apps on the top row would be a hassle to reach with your thumb.

If I wanted X, I would have it now. But every time I use it, something turns me off from it. My stepfather uses Samsung and he could always give me his gold S7 edge from Verizon once he upgrades to a Note9 within 9 months. Guess what? I would have no use for it.

So both iOS and Android or having TOO MANY phones just bore me to tears. I told my mother that I wanted to be like her older brother who has a cheap Nokia candybar phone with monochrome screen he still uses since 2002. My uncle would joke with us if it can do Facebook or take photos knowing it can't.

All these smartphones are fairly disposal. You know which phone I'm appreciating again? My Xiaomi Mi 3 from 3.5 years ago. Been watching Zootopia in spurts and the battery life is still excellent for it. A warrior. Maybe it's better off we try to keep our phones for as long as possible.

iOS or Android: Who cares, really? Just a temporary high and a temporary solution until the next one we plan to get once boredom of your current phone sinks in.

me-perfectly-working-iphone-7-plus-iphone-x-27674514.png

RIP new smartphone lust/envy

Reactions: timeconsumer

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I must say the keyboard on iPhone X is a lot narrower than the Plus. I am making a lot of typing mistakes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.