Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
You think? Guesses?

I can only imagine vast expansion of LookAround, cycle routing, maybe a list of upcoming countries…

Despite the slow rollout of Look Around and cycle routing, I don't think a sudden large expansion of those features to be noteworthy. Nor would a new country or region being tested or released.

My suspicion is that Maps will have a slightly updated look, and a few new features to better compete with Google.

My guesses:

-Offline maps.
-Official US rollout of ratings.
-More intuitive ways of reporting map errors or road changes.

Pipe dream:

-3D birds eye satellite view during navigation.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Well...If we are giving our dream scenarios for today (non-expansion related)...
  • Web-Based Apple Maps option for all platforms
  • USA Reviews/Photos options
  • Better/more detailed map error reporting options (kind of ties into web-based Maps)
  • Offline Maps
  • Release incident reporting option data to view...I'm assuming that since it is an option to "report" for all now, but no reports are showing up, that there is a data collection period they are working through. No one has been able to show me any! Maybe I'm wrong on this one?

Reactions: s0ur_lemon

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Also...there was a little discussion when we did this last year, but thoughts on creating an all new iOS 15 Maps thread later today after WWDC opening?

I'm for it as even though much of the discussion/options may stay the same, it seems like a good time to start fresh on possible new options as well as expansion data being released. Of course, I will copy over the first page to be the first page for the new thread and simply clear the data while providing links to the old Maps threads.

Sound good?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Also...there was a little discussion when we did this last year, but thoughts on creating an all new iOS 15 Maps thread later today after WWDC opening?

I'm for it as even though much of the discussion/options may stay the same, it seems like a good time to start fresh on possible new options as well as expansion data being released. Of course, I will copy over the first page to be the first page for the new thread and simply clear the data while providing links to the old Maps threads.

Sound good?
Maybe keep open points in the new topic though (like Photos / Ratings) so people start to venture there to discuss these features which are obviously continuing to roll out on iOS 15. I‘d hate to jump between 2 topics to find out about new countries being added / whitelisted for Photos & Ratings.

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Maybe keep open points in the new topic though (like Photos / Ratings) so people start to venture there to discuss these features which are obviously continuing to roll out on iOS 15. I‘d hate to jump between 2 topics to find out about new countries being added / whitelisted for Photos & Ratings.
The only issue with that, is that there hasn't been a solid list created for where that feature is available, only the legal portion of Apple's website that I referenced earlier in this thread to show where it COULD (and has been in some cases) implemented. We don't have it as a list in the first post now for this reason.

Hoping that there is a list created as part of iOS15 on Apple's website since it is probably considered a new feature in Maps still.

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
My expectations and hopes for WWDC:

New features
- Offline maps
- Multiple stops along a route
- More details about EV routing (I guess they are changing up the implementation compared to what was described last year since it still hasn't been released)
- Improved error reporting
- A list of all your reports and their status

Expansions
- A list of the countries/regions that will get the new data later this year
- Look Around will cover (at least) the entire United States by the end of the year or at least all the major cities
- Maybe a list of a few cities that will get cycling directions later this year
- Some new publishers that will provide Guides.

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Apple just announced at WWDC that Australia and Italy will receive Apple's own map data later this year. Spain and Portugal will be released today.

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Whoa...that's a FAR larger update than I anticipated. Yet still lacking basic things we want, like offline mode. lol

It seems the new "detailed" city experience will only be in select major cities at iOS 15's launch. But I'm in New York, so I'll tell you guys all about it. haha

The new details are on a similar scale to what Google put out in major cities like New York a few months back. Where the map now perfectly scales to the actual environment, with details like crosswalks and such. But Apple's gone a few steps further in actually integrating this information into navigation! A hi-res, digital implementation of road lane lines and junctions is far better than simply importing a sketchy satellite view.

Oh man, I'm salivating.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Whoa...that's a FAR larger update than I anticipated. Yet still lacking basic things we want, like offline mode. lol

It seems the new "detailed" city experience will only be in select major cities at iOS 15's launch. But I'm in New York, so I'll tell you guys all about it. haha

The new details are on a similar scale to what Google put out in major cities like New York a few months back. Where the map now perfectly scales to the actual environment, with details like crosswalks and such. But Apple's gone a few steps further in actually integrating this information into navigation! A hi-res, digital implementation of road lane lines and junctions is far better than simply importing a sketchy satellite view.

Oh man, I'm salivating.
Yeah...that was pretty amazing...can't wait to see it live!

Reactions: improvemaps

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
New Maps features coming with iOS15:

Interactive globe - Discover the natural beauty of Earth with a rich and interactive 3D globe, including significantly enhanced details for mountain ranges, deserts, forests, oceans, and more.1

Detailed new city experience - Explore cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London with unprecedented detail for elevation, roads, trees, buildings, landmarks, and more.3

New driving features - An all-new driving map helps you see traffic, incidents, and other details that affect your drive at a glance. See incredible road details like turn lanes, bike, bus, and taxi lanes, medians, crosswalks, and much more. When approaching a complex interchange, Maps switches to a 3D road-level perspective to help you find your way.

Immersive walking directions - Get where you’re going with step-by-step directions shown in augmented reality.1

Redesigned transit - The transit map has been redesigned for the new city experience and now shows key bus routes. While you’re riding transit, a new user interface makes it easy to see and interact with your route with one hand. And when you’re approaching your stop, Maps notifies you that it’s almost time to disembark.

Nearby transit - Frequent transit riders can now get one-tap access to all departures that are near them. They can even pin their favorite lines so that they always show up at the top if they are nearby.

All-new place cards - Completely redesigned place cards make it easy to find and interact with important information for businesses, explore details about cities, and learn about physical features like mountain ranges.

Editorially curated Guides Home - It’s now easier to discover great places with the all-new Guides Home, an editorially curated destination where you can find Guides for places you’ll love.

Improved search - When looking for places like restaurants, you can filter your search results by cuisine or whether they offer takeout. Or you can choose to see only places that are open right now. When you move the map while searching, Maps automatically updates your search results.

User profile - Maps users can now find their most used settings all in one place, including their preferred mode of transit, reported issues, favorites, and more.

Redesigned Maps contributions - With an all-new design, it’s faster and easier to report an issue in Maps.

Some great new stuff not mentioned during the live event! And glad to see the new driving enhancements will not be limited to certain cities!!

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Wow! That’s a hell of a list! BTW, Spain and Portugal are live for me. But it doesn’t appear so when zoomed out too far. If you zoom in a bit more, more details appear.

CACFC977-BE98-4016-9507-CEB8560AD9CD.png

BC551315-726E-4FDF-BD37-B7721C9F9CD4.png

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Also, on a side note, I’ve discovered that reporting something *does* leave behind an icon on the map that supposedly other people can see.

I happened to encounter a slow speed fender bender on a local road heading to a friend’s house. I reported the accident. By luck, the route had me doubling back on a side road past the accident again, so I could see my handiwork.

E061625A-119E-4683-9201-9A55DE00C166.png

55526D0E-67E8-403F-8B87-C1AC65606DCD.jpeg

E49C2131-75AF-4423-9B1F-FC2259091209.png

095F1F9B-C5BA-41A8-B0C2-645A895E533F.png

Reactions: Speedman100

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Also, on a side note, I’ve discovered that reporting something *does* leave behind an icon on the map that supposedly other people can see.

I happened to encounter a slow speed fender bender on a local road heading to a friend’s house. I reported the accident. By luck, the route had me doubling back on a side road past the accident again, so I could see my handiwork.

View attachment 1788370

View attachment 1788371

View attachment 1788372

View attachment 1788373
But could others see that?? That's the question.

Based on the new Maps info above, seeing these (non-public works issued like accidents, road construction, etc.) will be available with iOS15....but again...I could be wrong...

Someone...anyone...please show a report (preferably speed trap or hazard since those are not used by government agencies) not issued by you!! Should I offer a reward?? Hah!

EDIT: Checking Apple's page on this, it only says reporting is available, but doesn't say anything about actually seeing the reports...hmmm. I would think most would assume that if they can report in the US and China (just not speed traps in China) that they and others would be able to see the reports.

Last edited:
Reactions: G1Ravage

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I no longer use a developer license and switched to the public beta many years ago. Developer beta should be released in a few minutes, so anyone able to download beta 1, please advise if you see any Maps updates.

I doubt you will since most of the graphical or functional updates to Maps are released in later betas, but you never know...thanks!

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
The new detailed city experience won't support CarPlay at launch. A software update will add that later this year. The detailed city experience will also require an iPhone or iPad with the A12 Bionic chip or later or a Mac with the M1 chip. The same goes for the interactive globe and the AR walking directions on iPhone. The Maps app on Apple Watch will now also use the always-on display which will be handy for cycling and public transportation directions.

Reactions: G1Ravage

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Apple Maps 2021 - your best up-to-date guide to the whooping 8 countries of the world! ?
Yes it seems like we will have to wait until 2022 before the expansions begin to speed up. Four countries this year is actually the same amount as they did last year (if you count the public release of the United States).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.