Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Displaymate says its the best display theyve ever tested. I believe them and my own eyes over a rando on the internet.

Maybe they got one of the good panels. If you notice, many are not getting the good panels. But even so, displaymate is trying to compare it to a yellow-casted standard. What they call "perfect" is a man-made standard that leans yellow in tone. I personally think it looks terrible and artificial, so anything that they say is good I know will look like crap. The X is no exception.

Reactions: Simacca

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
The iPhone 8/8+ reeks of Apple being afraid to commit to their vision for the future. 8/8+ are inferior in every way to the X. These compromise devices should not exist.

8 is too small.
8+ is too big.
They both have inferior displays.
They both have inferior cameras.
They both have an inferior UX.
TouchID is harder to use than FaceID.

You have to be a truly be afraid of change to use either of those compromise devices. Why pay nearly $1000/US for what is essentially the same phone you already have? Are people just wanting to give a trillion dollar company almost $1000/US as it makes them feel better about themselves?

8 is too small - There was a thread earlier saying the X was for 8 users because of it's size. Do you mean screen size?
8 + is too big - Plenty of people waiting for a X +
They both have inferior displays- which one of the two display a green line coming down the side? Blue tint? Burn in?
They both have inferior cameras- Maybe the 8, but I thought the 8+ had the same camera as the X?
TouchID is harder to use than FaceID - Are we really in a world were putting your thumb or index finger over a button considered "hard"?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
8 is too small - There was a thread earlier saying the X was for 8 users because of it's size. Do you mean screen size?
8 + is too big - Plenty of people waiting for a X +
They both have inferior displays- which one of the two display a green line coming down the side? Blue tint? Burn in?
They both have inferior cameras- Maybe the 8, but I thought the 8+ had the same camera as the X?
TouchID is harder to use than FaceID - Are we really in a world were putting your thumb or index finger over a button considered "hard"?

Might as well not bother, this guy wants the X to show the world he's super cool, so he has to convince everyone that his X is super cool so he can get those society points.

The X just doesnt hold up under scrutiny, though, so thats too bad.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Even with that 'look at it' functionality disabled, you still have to pull the phone out and aim it at your mug to unlock it.

I can unlock my iPhone 7+ BEFORE it's even out of my pocket. By the time I have the phone out, it's ready to use.

Yup, with my old iPhone I loved just being able to unlock it and type out messages/e-mails without ever having to look at it!

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
At least they pay their taxes, to be fair to them.
That has to be the most tongue in cheek post ever after the release of the Bermuda papers show how Apple avoided paying tax on an industrial scale.

Last edited:

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I went to the store and played with an X. My first feeling on touching one was: This is the X? What's so different? Sure, screen looks nice, but I never complained about my 7 Plus screen. Looked at a few photos, none of them really popped out at me. Watched some videos, not that noticeably different. Took me a while to figure out how to multi-task without closing an app. Kinda felt naked without the home button. All in all, sure the screen is nicer compared to my 7 Plus, but not worth paying $1150 for a new phone when my 7 Plus is running just fine.

I guess 7 Plus is powerful enough for me at this time and I like Touch ID enough to want to keep using it. I'm happy to invest my money in a 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB LTE instead.
You've obviously managed to get into the store bypassing security and thus missing the hyperbole injection. Shame on you. ;)

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
If all these people were super secure in their purchase decisions with the iPhone X, they wouldn't feel the need to post threads every 2 minutes going "LOL IPHONE 8 WHAT IS THAT". Food for thought.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
They 8 should have been called 7s and be released back in March with A10X chip. Might tick off 7 owners but Samsung, LG, Sony, OnePlus, Xiaomi, and many more are guilty of releasing two flagships per year.

This would have given those phones enough time to sell before the X is released. This would also give Apple enough time to improve the X's specs and differentiate itself internally like giving it A11, 4 GB RAM, and upgraded cameras.

The 8 is another lazy product design. A smaller company like LG at least tries to change it up every year. The X feels like a rushed product without enough differentiating features from the 8 Plus because it was announced the same day and released only six weeks apart.

Apple's timing was off on both. They could have made it easier and never release an 8 in the first place. Too many SKUs, confusing naming, and too much overlap in specs cannibalizing each other.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I wouldnt buy anything at all if it was just the 8/8+. Those are barely upgrades at all. If someone told you the 8 was a 7 no one would question it. They couldve gotten away with an iPhone 7s name tbqh.

Lets be honest. People should stick with a 7/7+ if they are on a budget. Nothing wrong with the 7/7+. It does everything the 8/8+ does minus the wireless charging which literally no one needs and most will barely use if ever use. We have a wireless charging pad at home and we havent used it once since my roommate got his galaxy S8+.

People think they are doing something by buying an overpriced 8/8+ that is barely distinguishable from the 7/7+. There is nothing new being brought to the table.

Bolded made me chuckle. I use wireless charging every night. Setting my phone on the little red light is easier than looking for a cable in the dark and WAY easier than trying to line up the tiny lightning port on Apple's s****y dock.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Touch ID is harder to use than Face ID???? Really??? I’ve read numerous comments about having to have it at right angle while swiping up and having difficulty opening the device while Touch ID is one finger click that’s it. No coordinating face and swipes etc.

Touch ID wouldn't read my fingerprints sometimes especially after I had just washed my hands and they were still barely moist. Face ID is just as fast. All you're doing is going off of what others are saying but unless you try Face ID for yourself after a few days you won't really miss Touch ID.

When your phone is in your pocket and you want to pull it out to look at it this is what you do:

Touch ID: Place thumb on home button and unlock phone in one motion while pulling it out of pocket (or just simply pull out phone to look at notification before unlocking).

Face ID: Pull phone out of pocket and look at screen because you're going to look at your phone anyways. Swipe up because you're so used to Face ID now.

What's the freaking difference? None. Face ID works just as fast and is so damn seamless now.

jahin17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2016
London
I guess everyone has their own opinion regarding both phones. I like my X. I liked my 7 Plus as well, but I found it a bit too big for me to hold, the phone itself was brilliant, I miss the screen of the 7 plus, watching videos on that was amazing, but like every year, I tend to upgrade.

Eventually I have to learn to adapt. Do I miss touchID? yes, it was simple to use but it had its flaws (mainly with me, not sure about everyone else) it worked majority of the time but there were times where it just didn't recognise my finger, same with FaceID... when I look at it from a different angle it just doesn't recognise it.

Both phones are amazing imo, but for the future, Apple are most likely going with the X design so everyone has to get used to it EVENTUALLY.... Plus with the X size, its perfect for me, fits into my hand so I can use it with one hand.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You cannot be serious. How is it harder to use?

Yea, definitely not "easier' necessarily, but it is better in my eyes. After using Face ID for a few days now, it felt a little jarring going back to my 7 Plus and having to place my finger on the home button. They are both pretty easy, but I am already seeing advantages of Face ID. The attention aware stuff is awesome too.

Trojita

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
The iPhone 8/8+ reeks of Apple being afraid to commit to their vision for the future. 8/8+ are inferior in every way to the X. These compromise devices should not exist.

8 is too small.
8+ is too big.
They both have inferior displays.
They both have inferior cameras.
They both have an inferior UX.
TouchID is harder to use than FaceID.

You have to be a truly be afraid of change to use either of those compromise devices. Why pay nearly $1000/US for what is essentially the same phone you already have? Are people just wanting to give a trillion dollar company almost $1000/US as it makes them feel better about themselves?

8 is too small. - Subjective. Ask Steve Jobs sometime about it.
8+ is too big. - Subjective
They both have inferior displays. - The LCD are still really good LCD's. Displaymate gave the iPhone 7 an A for Excellent Display review last year, and the 8 is an improved version of that.. This was with OLED's already being on the market on other devices.
They both have inferior cameras. - You do realize that the cameras on both the plus and the X have virtually the same camera? The big difference is that the X has stabilization on the secondary camera which the 8 doesn't have. One is $200 less.
They both have an inferior UX. - Explain your ******** about the UX.
TouchID is harder to use than FaceID. - Are you a toddler?

The iPhone 8 is $699 and the iPhone $799, a decent chunk of change difference from $1000.

Your thread should have been aborted before it was submitted.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yea, definitely not "easier' necessarily, but it is better in my eyes. After using Face ID for a few days now, it felt a little jarring going back to my 7 Plus and having to place my finger on the home button. They are both pretty easy, but I am already seeing advantages of Face ID. The attention aware stuff is awesome too.
It was jarring to place your thumb on a button in the same place as where you would place your thumb to swipe up on the X?

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
My wife still wants and 8+ after seeing mine. Main reason is there is no scaling option on the iPhone X because she has problem seeing the small text (presbyopia). I had to refuse one this morning from local Telus shop that I was on a list for hers. So thanks Apple for saving me a few hundred dollars because you didn’t put that feature in!

I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to X and at first I questioned what I was doing going to this tiny phone. After a couple days I’m used to the screen and love the small size. The screen on it is surreal and Face ID works amazing for me.

Reactions: CVUSA

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It was jarring to place your thumb on a button in the same place as where you would place your thumb to swipe up on the X?

Yes, and having to press it. With no home button and the new gestures, going back to a physical buttons felt a little off. I am not saying it's a huge deal, just kind of obvious that Face ID is a step forward.
[doublepost=1510090338][/doublepost]
My wife still wants and 8+ after seeing mine. Main reason is there is no scaling option on the iPhone X because she has problem seeing the small text (presbyopia). I had to refuse one this morning from local Telus shop that I was on a list for hers. So thanks Apple for saving me a few hundred dollars because you didn’t put that feature in!

I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to X and at first I questioned what I was doing going to this tiny phone. After a couple days I’m used to the screen and love the small size. The screen on it is surreal and Face ID works amazing for me.

You can make the text larger in accessibility settings.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yes, and having to press it.

With Rest to Open enabled there's no need to press it. That was one of the worst "features" Apple ever implemented. With Raise to Wake and Rest to Open enabled it's a perfectly effort free process. Lift phone to check for notifications. Place thumb if you want to unlock.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, and having to press it. With no home button and the new gestures, going back to a physical buttons felt a little off. I am not saying it's a huge deal, just kind of obvious that Face ID is a step forward.
[doublepost=1510090338][/doublepost]

You can make the text larger in accessibility settings.
I was just coming to say this.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
With Rest to Open enabled there's no need to press it. That was one of the worst "features" Apple ever implemented. With Raise to Wake and Rest to Open enabled it's a perfectly effort free process. Lift phone to check for notifications. Place thumb if you want to unlock.

I actually never used it, but good that it's there for those with a home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.