Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CVUSA

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
My wife still wants and 8+ after seeing mine. Main reason is there is no scaling option on the iPhone X because she has problem seeing the small text (presbyopia). I had to refuse one this morning from local Telus shop that I was on a list for hers. So thanks Apple for saving me a few hundred dollars because you didn’t put that feature in!

I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to X and at first I questioned what I was doing going to this tiny phone. After a couple days I’m used to the screen and love the small size. The screen on it is surreal and Face ID works amazing for me.
Just a tiny smaller not so bad. I had used all iPhones except 3g and 5s. Hopefully Apple will release XPlus next year. Will see ! Face ID are fun to used.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Here we go again...

Since the “8/8+ owners must be too poor to afford the X” argument was resoundingly beat down in that other thread, we're getting the “8/8+ owners are afraid of change” argument.

For the slow:
1) The price was not justified by what was being offered.
2) Too small and screen ratio are valid reasons not to buy.
3) OLED doesn’t mean jack if I’m not satisfied with the way my content is being displayed. Given the tint, tilt, and other display issues that are being reported, I think I dodged a bullet there. I’ve owned Samsung phones before; I thought a few years would have cleared up those kinds of display issues, but since they didn’t, there’s no way I’m going back to ‘display lottery’ and all that went with it. I didn’t even pay half for my phone back then what the X is priced at now!
3) FaceID is not the end all, be all. Machines don’t train me. They are to be an extension of how I operate or help me be more efficient. If I have to get my right face on in the morning, be at the proper distance, be at the right angle, and all of that, then it’s not ready as I would use it. Why would I pay for something that’s not ready? Oh, I can turn it off, you say? Tell me why I should pay for something that I wouldn’t be using when the 8/8+ is available?
4) Animoji - Again, tell me why should I pay for something that I wouldn’t be using when the 8/8+ is available?
5) It’s the latest design! - And that design will be around for the next 3-4 years.
6) I want a bigger screen. I didn’t come to the iPhone until they got it with the 6 Plus. No way I am going backwards.... and yes, there will be a X Plus. Anyone here thinking there won’t is fooling themselves. People were calling for it before the keynote and they are being even more vocal about it now after hand-ons time with the X.
7) Same iOS. Nothing gained there.
8) I’m actually okay with the gestures and loss of the home button, the total experience just isn’t worth upgrading and the price of the X. I would like to have the dual OIS camera also. This just doesn’t outweigh my above issues.

Nothing above about being afraid of change. If Apple refines the X and introduces the Plus model next year, I will be on board, singing praises, and clicking ‘Place Order’ at 2am CST for my pre-order.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
The iPhone 8/8+ reeks of Apple being afraid to commit to their vision for the future. 8/8+ are inferior in every way to the X. These compromise devices should not exist.

8 is too small.
8+ is too big.
They both have inferior displays.
They both have inferior cameras.
They both have an inferior UX.
TouchID is harder to use than FaceID.

You have to be a truly be afraid of change to use either of those compromise devices. Why pay nearly $1000/US for what is essentially the same phone you already have? Are people just wanting to give a trillion dollar company almost $1000/US as it makes them feel better about themselves?

You my friend forgot to add one small disclaimer on your OP and that is “in my opinion”!

I am perfectly happy with the 8 Plus.. I have returned a X for your information..

I find the X too small.. X Plus would be interesting..

I like the screen ratio of the 8 Plus compared to the X especially the width..

You will find the main rear camera is the same as the X only the telephoto lens has OIS.. but the usefulness of that is debatable..

The UX is not that different as it’s the same old iOS minus a few gestures..

Also.. how you find TouchID harder to use than FaceID is comical to say the least and frankly stinks of trolling!

Furthermore.. wireless charging is my most common method for charging so I am grateful for Apple adding that to the 8 Plus!

Why can’t you just be happy with your choice and give the rest of us the credit to make our own choices in what iPhone we choose!

As the saying goes.. choice makes life more interesting..

Last edited:

J D A

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
- The X was not big enough. I'm waiting for a plus size screen -- I'm not going down to a "normal" sized phone. I don't care if the phone is $1500 or not.

- I needed a new phone today and can't afford to wait a month. Yes I'm impatient. If I decide I want an X well at least VZW has a 30 day return policy.

- Also the notch is ugly af. If I'm going to deal with it the screen better be bigger to offset it and I can view video at 16:9 proper without the smaller view.

Those were my only two reasons.

Last edited:

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't get this argument at all. I'm extremely happy with my 8+. The glass back and true tone alone make the 8+ a huge upgrade over the 7+. I confess to having a little FOMO on the X, but I'll get over it.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
At least my 8+ doesn’t have a butt ugly notch that takes away valuable screen real estate. I’m glad you’re happy with your decision. I too am happy with my decision.

LarryNyquil

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2017
Ohio
They hide behind stuff like its not ready yet. The truth is itll never be ready if no one gives it a chance and you learn the kinks and work through them.

Judging by how sold out the X is right now, I don't think that will be a problem. Personally I'd just rather not be part of the kink-workout process.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Judging by how sold out the X is right now, I don't think that will be a problem. Personally I'd just rather not be part of the kink-workout process.

Judging by the 3 AT&T employees I spoke to yesterday at 3 different stores that told me they had 4-5 X returns a day since release I'd say the X was a mistake.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Judging by the 3 AT&T employees I spoke to yesterday at 3 different stores that told me they had 4-5 X returns a day since release I'd say the X was a mistake.
Most with sealed boxes stained with scalper’s tears no doubt. Cool story though

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
People are still buying the 7 in large numbers, I've said it in other threads but the 7 is the best bang for buck iPhone apple makes. The 8 is a perfect design with all the kinks worked out and it is the best pick for most people that just want to be able to walk into a store and get an iPhone.

The X is "bleeding" edge when compared to every other iPhone model that apple currently sell on their website / in store. Apple can't just sell one type of phone that fits everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.