Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbode0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Anyone else getting this error message? I did everything it told me to do on Apple's website if you got this message, and I'm still getting it.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I got the error message, and then I remembered I had altered the host file in the /etc/ folder on the mac when I jail broke the device and removed the Apple server from list and the update finally went through.

Hope that potentially helps.

bbode0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I've never had mine jailbroken or messed with any of the files. Very frustrating

billy123

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2005
Getting this also! VERY annoying! tried the iFix it thing with editing the host file!
Still nothing ........

bbode0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Same here, I've tried everything and cant seem to get it to work.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Backup you phone. Click Restore instead of Update. Then restore from you back up.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Is your host file point to the correct server? I jb, so mine is pointed to cydia. Even if you don't jb, it still may be pointed incorrectly.
After I corrected in tiny umbrella, it installed fine.

mluman83

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Florida
Well I just found out a freind of mine downloaded 10.5 beta itunes on my computer at some point a while ago. Not sure why he did this or where he got it from as he is not a developer. But I have downloaded the new 10.5 itunes and deleted the beta. I am not a dev. I am trying to update my iphone to ios 5 and it says "phone not eligible for requested build".

I dont know what to do to fix this. I have a feeling that by me using that downloaded beta itunes that it has messed something up.

Please help!

J-Bone

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Is your host file point to the correct server? I jb, so mine is pointed to cydia. Even if you don't jb, it still may be pointed incorrectly.

How do I make sure my host file is correct?? I'm not sure what to do

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Can anyone help me? I upgraded iTunes and my iPhone to os 5.0 and I'm at the stage of recovering from my backup, except it wants a password, and I know what I'm typing is correct, but it won't have it! :(

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I have the same problem with my iPhone when trying to update. Mine is jailbroken however, and it won't let me restore.

I already checked off the box in TinyUmbrella that it says I must do to perform a clean restore, but still no luck.

bbode0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011

Im confused, is there a way to update through tiny umbrella rather than iTunes?

mluman83

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Florida
I tried changing the host file and still getting same error! I changed host file by following the istructions by adding a "space then #"

I'm loosing my s#*@!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.