Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millserd

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I tried changing the host file and still getting same error! I changed host file by following the istructions by adding a "space then #"

I'm loosing my s#*@!

Completely removing the apple entries (backup hosts file first) and restarting itunes will allow you to restore ios5.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
No. It points your host file in the correct direction, so you can upgrade. I can never remember how to edit it manually, so I use tiny umbrella. TU also saves your blobs, to help you downgrade your ios.
Go to the advanced tab to correct any possible misdirection of the host file.
Im confused, is there a way to update through tiny umbrella rather than iTunes?

mluman83

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Florida
It seems to be working now!

I followed the instructions via the following video.

It did not work at first. So I went back to the hosts folder and saved it again."text edit / file / save" then put it back into "hosts". Somehow that did the trick!

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_IWgJ7VNM&list=FLjV9D-rCe5IZf9bWxxKM16g&index=1

Again... this did not work the first time. I went back and saved it a second time and it worked.

Last edited:

J-Bone

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011

It did not work at first. So I went back to the hosts folder and saved it again."text edit / file / save" then put it back into "hosts". Somehow that did the trick!

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_IWgJ7VNM&list=FLjV9D-rCe5IZf9bWxxKM16g&index=1

Again... this did not work the first time. I went back and saved it a second time and it worked.

Dude it worked like a charm! THANK YOU A BAZILLION TIMES!!!!

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Well this is the damnedest thing. Jailbroken iPad -> iOS5 = No problem, worked first time. Jailbroken iPhone -> iOS5 = :( :mad:

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've gone to the /private/etc/ folder on my mac, and I've dragged the host file onto my desktop, replaced the line with the gs.apple.com with #

But when I try to drag the host file on my desktop into the folder to replace it, it won't let me because it says the host file is in use. I've tried restarting my mac and iPhone several times, and nothing seems to work.

J-Bone

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I've gone to the /private/etc/ folder on my mac, and I've dragged the host file onto my desktop, replaced the line with the gs.apple.com with #

But when I try to drag the host file on my desktop into the folder to replace it, it won't let me because it says the host file is in use. I've tried restarting my mac and iPhone several times, and nothing seems to work.

Follow the video above it worked for me.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Follow the video above it worked for me.

I did, but once I drag the hosts file back into the folder to replace it and "authenticate" I get a pop-up message that says:

"The operation can't be completed because the item 'hosts' is in use."

J-Bone

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I did, but once I drag the hosts file back into the folder to replace it and "authenticate" I get a pop-up message that says:

"The operation can't be completed because the item 'hosts' is in use."

delete the original file first then drag fixed file in if that doesn't work restart your computer and try again that's what I did

P.S.

Don't forget you might have to do it twice for it to work I had to.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
delete the original file first then drag fixed file in if that doesn't work restart your computer and try again that's what I did

P.S.

Don't forget you might have to do it twice for it to work I had to.

It still wouldn't let me replace the file, and I tried shutting my computer and phone off and on several times and trying to restore on iTunes. But for some reason, I tried restoring again and iTunes finally let me.

Not sure exactly what I did right, but my phone is now restoring from backup on iTunes. Seems to be going smoothly so far.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008

I don't have that line of code from the video in my "hosts" file.

fgarvin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Dang... This stinks!!!

I have tried all the above... for 12 hours now...

Still get the same error.

Please help...

Got Macbook Pro, Lastest iTunes, iPhone 4 that is jailbroken, and ios 5 downloaded.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
It still wouldn't let me replace the file, and I tried shutting my computer and phone off and on several times and trying to restore on iTunes. But for some reason, I tried restoring again and iTunes finally let me.

Not sure exactly what I did right, but my phone is now restoring from backup on iTunes. Seems to be going smoothly so far.

Im getting this same issue! Any news on how to solve this?

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Ok, finally replaced the file, I deleted the original and then put the edited one into place..

Will try yet again and see what happens!

Jordan

adace55

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
ive lost all hope

hey ive been looking on all sorts of forums and solutions and none seem to work for me... also im terrible with computers.

-i have the iphone 4 with version 4.2.6 (8E200)
-i have a macbook pro
-i have the latest version of itunes adn by computer software is up to date
-i have restarted my computer
-i looked to see if in that /etc/ thing for that apple. something in the host file and its not even listed in there

please help me im going crazy. any ideas would be amazing. thanks!

BigMountainB

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Host file issue

Is your host file point to the correct server? I jb, so mine is pointed to cydia. Even if you don't jb, it still may be pointed incorrectly.
After I corrected in tiny umbrella, it installed fine.

I just ran into this problem. How do you direct the host file properly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.