Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
I mean it is, but too expensive lol. $1800 for 1TB and a case, I already have my 512 at around 40 gigs left.

a 13 Pro Max with 17.2.1 is simply too laggy (feel like the "not athorized underclocking" fiasco all over again).

I think the last time you could hold an iphone for 3 years and still feel "like in day one" was the 5/5S era.

I experienced the very same story with 6S Plus, too lagy after the 2.5 year mark, XS Max even a bit worse. Then the 13 exactly the same. It's always funny how "amazingly fast" the new model feels when you buy it.

Battery health 88%.

Don't get me wrong, still the best phone in the world since 2007. I would tinker with Symbian S60 just to install an mp3 player on a 6600 so kids these days have absolutely no clue how much they take the iPhone quality for granted.

Yet, even so. If it was 10 times worse than Android, the app quality alone makes it a better purchase than a Samsung.

Bottom line, I am going to keep this phone until it does not support the latest software, like a 6S in 2023 sort of experience.

That money can be better spent on a Studio Display or even a macbook than thrown at a phone and boy we're not even discussing the EU prices.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Sorry but my experience has been completely different. Used my X for just shy of 6 years and besides the battery replacement at year 4 it gave me no issues at all. Matter of fact, if they would of given it iOS17 I most likely would have kept it for another year. That's $180 a year, completely acceptable IMO. My new 15PM is a significant upgrade in all respects and unless something fails prematurely, I expect it to last just as long.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, not my experience.

The iPhone has gotten expensive. So, I buy older models new. Right now I have the 11 Pro Max on iOS 17 and my older 6s Plus on iOS 15. Both do exactly what I need with no problems.

But I sit in front of multiple computers and large monitors for 16+ hours a day. I'm not using my phones for anything other than calls, emails and text messaging.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I have been an iPhone user for 12 years, before that I had an iPod :D

Anyways..

I have never owned a current phone. I usually buy last years model at a discount. Heck, my last phone was an XS Max 256GB Certified Pre-Owned. I swear it was a brand new phone when I got it though. I just replaced it last month with a 14 Pro 1TB.. great little phone. It is little haha :)

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I mean it is, but too expensive lol. $1800 for 1TB and a case, I already have my 512 at around 40 gigs left.
Isn't the 1TB 15 ProMax $1599?

I tend to keep my devices for a long time, so did buy the 13 mini with 512GB as I lived a long time with 64GB and just didn't want to deal with storage left any longer. But in all honesty, 256 might have been enough and that'd consider a sweet spot, especially with the inflated EU price.

If someone cannot live without the latest gadget then perhaps a compromise in storage might be the only solution if all the data doesn't necessarily need to be on device. So with the 512 GB 15 ProMax we are now looking at $1399.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Bottom line, I am going to keep this phone until it does not support the latest software, like a 6S in 2023 sort of experience.

That money can be better spent on a Studio Display or even a macbook than thrown at a phone and boy we're not even discussing the EU prices.
The funny thing is that I actually believe Apple prices their products with this assumption already built in. ie: people are holding on to their devices longer, so we will compensate by way of higher prices, more accessories and even more services.

So holding on to your device for longer isn't really going to impact Apple financially the way you think it might. Apple doesn't require people to keep buying their devices. They just need people to keep using them. :D

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
To be honest always thought that mac laptops gave more value per dollar spent even in the weight of metal you get.

But lately stopped chasing new iphones and bought a Nintendo Switch for 200 - oh boy, this is the best money spent ever and i teleported back right into my childhood. 200 wouldn’t be even enough to upgrade my 14pm to something similar from the 15 series.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Worth is subjective. The iPhone is expensive indeed. However there is no real competition for the iPhones. One may suggest brands like Samsung and to be honest, they are not priced significantly lower than their Apple counterparts either. Smartphones have gotten smarter over the last few years and they’re more than just devices - some see them as a ‘cool factor’ or a Veblen goods that gives them some form of social status. I don’t care about all that. I do value the consistency and outlook of Apple and the iPhones embodies their vision of what a daily tech product should be. I’ve come to terms to pay the premium for this. And if I choose not to, I know my iPhone will get at least 4-5 years of software support.

I had the 13 Pro Max on iOS 17 few months back and I ever had any lag issues at all. Are there milliseconds worth of lag? Maybe but my eyes aren’t sensitive to notice that. I believe those who complain that their iPhones of 2-3 years ago are laggy in 2024 are just exaggerating.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I believe those who complain that their iPhones of 2-3 years ago are laggy in 2024 are just exaggerating.
No, it's a real and noticeable issue when using the keyboard mostly. You can tell the letters are playing catch-up after selecting them and it's not something I had with iOS16, not with 17.0 but rather iterations following the new OS release.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
No, it's a real and noticeable issue when using the keyboard mostly. You can tell the letters are playing catch-up after selecting them and it's not something I had with iOS16, not with 17.0 but rather iterations following the new OS release.

How far apart is the hardware and the software to notice this issue?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
iPhone is expensive but I don't mind paying extra. I prefer iOS (although it has been quite buggy for a while) but Android is still very good. In Apple's ecosystem I have the watch, Airpods, I use the iCloud services, and exclusively use Apple Pay. Also I like the customer service from Apple and if I have any problems then I can go into a store and get help. That was probably the biggest factor for coming back to iPhone. Maybe I'm too old now but I can't be bothered with the hassle if something goes wrong. Apple is easier to work with and more convenient.

I was looking at the latest Android phones because I was going to gift one to someone for their birthday. Could I get a phone with similar or better specs than a 15 Pro Max and for cheaper? Yeah. Honestly I'd not have much of a problem going back to Android for my next phone. I was thinking about this just this morning. It'd take some readjusting. I think I'd miss my Apple Watch and the customer service most if I left Apple. I used Android for years so it's not like it's impossible. I'm not loyal to any company so I'll ditch Apple if I feel like it.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I agree that they are expensive, but I don’t feel like it’s designed to upgrade every 1 to 2 years. So if you keep your phone for 3+ years and spread the cost over those years it’s worth it imo. I used to only use android because of the cost but ended up having to upgrade every year bc of lags etc. so in total more expenaive

Reactions: blkjedi954

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
When I see Android phones for 300,- it does make the iPhone look terribly expensive. The Androids might not be as fast, and the camera might not be as good, but they have 8GB or 12GB of RAM, huge storage, huge displays, and they get all the basics like navigation, web browsing, email and messaging done just as well. An iPhone that costs 4x or 5x as much does not give you a proportionally better experience. Better yes, but not 4x or 5x better.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012

a 13 Pro Max with 17.2.1 is simply too laggy (feel like the "not athorized underclocking" fiasco all over again).

I think the last time you could hold an iphone for 3 years and still feel "like in day one" was the 5/5S era.

I experienced the very same story with 6S Plus, too lagy after the 2.5 year mark, XS Max even a bit worse. Then the 13 exactly the same. It's always funny how "amazingly fast" the new model feels when you buy it.

Battery health 88%.

Don't get me wrong, still the best phone in the world since 2007. I would tinker with Symbian S60 just to install an mp3 player on a 6600 so kids these days have absolutely no clue how much they take the iPhone quality for granted.

Yet, even so. If it was 10 times worse than Android, the app quality alone makes it a better purchase than a Samsung.

13PM as well and had the 15PM used yesterday. No „real“ difference at all.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Looking at what people paid for their phones 20 years ago and now I wouldn't say its expensive. Add how much we use our devices I would rather say the contrary, its cheaper today than 20 years ago.

I use my phone a lot more than my gaming PC i bought for almost twice the price of my 13 pro.
And the 13 pro's still flying in terms of performance. (17.2.1).

Now, it would be nice with more options than just Apple and a Google OS, so I am hoping something new will be released soon. Maybe MS will have a go at the mobile market again...

Reactions: G5isAlive

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If one buys a new phone every year, it can be expensive (depending on one's budget)

If one buys the top of the line model, even though it isn't really needed, the phone can be expensive.

If one buys the iPhone as a phone instead of a 24/7 'one size fits all computer,' and keeps for several years, the expense is nominal.

The problem is too many people get caught up in the product release hype or due to envy, convince themselves they need the latest model with all the bells and whistles; and when payment reality sets in, there is a lot of remorse.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
When I see Android phones for 300,- it does make the iPhone look terribly expensive. The Androids might not be as fast, and the camera might not be as good, but they have 8GB or 12GB of RAM, huge storage, huge displays, and they get all the basics like navigation, web browsing, email and messaging done just as well. An iPhone that costs 4x or 5x as much does not give you a proportionally better experience. Better yes, but not 4x or 5x better.
If it is yearly or frequent updates, it may seem that way. No way I am using those Android phones for 5-6 years. If you don’t suffer from FOMO or make impulse yearly purchases, iPhone can last long, and isn’t too expensive on a yearly basis. And not to mention I don’t have to deal with Android crap at the same total cost of ownership.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

Not quite when you consider the after sales support from Apple, the ecosystem, the durability and longevity in terms of product support. I would argue it’s much better than the $200-$300 Android phones.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Base iPhone models have a much lower total cost of ownership outcome than Android handsets. I've actually modelled this against iPhone XR, 12, 15 and Pixel series phones. iPhone Pro - not so much so I won't be buying another one myself.

I still have my old 6s, XR and 12 in service with other family members. They get cleaned and get a new battery (from Apple) every couple of years.

Key data point was I got 14 months out of the Pixel 6A for my youngest (first smartphone so didn't want to go bananas on it) - complete hardware failure. Went to a repairer who told me it was liquid damaged (it's IP67 ffs and was NOT water damaged - they just do this because they aren't going to make any money on the repair) and sent me a repair bill which was the same price as a new phone. I just bought her a new iPhone SE instead.

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
Idk. I think if you take advantage of deals and promotions they are more affordable now than ever while still being the most expensive ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.