Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
… bought a Nintendo Switch for 200 - oh boy, this is the best money spent ever and i teleported back right into my childhood. 200 wouldn’t be even enough to upgrade my 14pm to something similar from the 15 series.
What kind of comparison is this? A Switch is not a phone…

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I used to get a new iPhone every year. It’s not about being rich - some of us just want to hold something different after every September. It’s silly but it brings a smile to my face.

What kind of comparison is this? A Switch is not a phone…
A comparison to those of us who are looking to buy things to make us happy. I was able to get more emotions from a switch than my yearly iphone upgrades. Just throwing it out there if it helps anyone else.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
iPhones (and Android) devices are the least expensive products vs. how much are they used and how much value they bring that you can buy on the planet Earth right now. Let's say you buy most expensive and top of the line iPhone. It's $1,600 + tax in US. You can keep it for at least 3 years (possibly 6-7 but let's say 3). So, per mont including tax you are looking at around $50. You can sell it for half that after 3 years so basically for around $25 (and if you don't buy the latest model you are probably spending around $10-15/month) per month you get something that you use all day long for multiple things and functions. Boarding passes, navigation, calls, texts, emails, pay bills, shopping, ordering food, keeping track of your kids, employees, etc., video camera, still camera, online banking, use it for work, and on and on and on. Compare this to one meal at even the cheapest restaurant and it more than breaks even. While people smoke, gamble, go wild at restaurants, bars getting drunk and spend hundreds or thousands of $. How much is one pack of cigarettes? Maybe $10. how much is a bottle of wine at restaurant? $50 or $100 or even multiple hundreds of dollars that you finish at dinner and then you have nothing. And people still complain how iPhones are expensive???

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
a 13 Pro Max with 17.2.1 is simply too laggy (feel like the "not athorized underclocking" fiasco all over again).
Do yourself a favor and do a full OS restore using a computer (assuming you update OTA) then restore from your iCloud backup. I bet money your device will run faster, esp. once everything reindexes.

Got my 14 Pro replaced the other day (it was beat to shreds) and I’ve been amazed how much faster it is.

In your case my 13 Pro has been in my GFs possession for 2 years now and is blazing fast. Pre replacement it was faster than my 14 Pro. The A15 is still a really fast chip.

Also if you have less than 20-30GB free at any time your device is probably going to lag. Pretty much guaranteed.

I’m not here to sell you snake oil, I’m really trying to help.

EDIT: as a last ditch effort; signing out of iCloud then resetting all settings generally fixes a lot of problems and speed issues as well.

Last edited:

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Isn't the 1TB 15 ProMax $1599?

I tend to keep my devices for a long time, so did buy the 13 mini with 512GB as I lived a long time with 64GB and just didn't want to deal with storage left any longer. But in all honesty, 256 might have been enough and that'd consider a sweet spot, especially with the inflated EU price.

If someone cannot live without the latest gadget then perhaps a compromise in storage might be the only solution if all the data doesn't necessarily need to be on device. So with the 512 GB 15 ProMax we are now looking at $1399.
I don't buy devices with a lot of capacity, I play with the cloud, the most I have are 128 Gb + the cloud

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
The exact opposite experience here. Think my iPhone 11 Pro will get to 5 years before it gets replaced. Phone feels as awesome as when it was new. Good value.

Reactions: ledzep1

taliz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
Yes it's gotten way too expensive. I bought an XR new in 2018, still using it.
But just cracked the sceen and battery is down to 80%, so looking at maybe buying a used 13 mini. A new iPhone is just too much money nowadays.

Also I don't understand what people are using so much storage for? Apps I don't use get uninstalled, videos get archived on private YouTube channel.
Never managed to fill 64gb even.

Reactions: geta and 3Rock

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
If you only have 40 gigs left out of 512 that is gonna severely affect the performance of your phone. I would personally make more storage available and possibly look at a new battery.

I have a 13 pro max with 100gig free space, new battery and the latest update installed. Zero lag

Last edited:
Reactions: MacCheetah3

blj3303

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
I mean it is, but too expensive lol. $1800 for 1TB and a case, I already have my 512 at around 40 gigs left.

a 13 Pro Max with 17.2.1 is simply too laggy (feel like the "not athorized underclocking" fiasco all over again).

I think the last time you could hold an iphone for 3 years and still feel "like in day one" was the 5/5S era.

I experienced the very same story with 6S Plus, too lagy after the 2.5 year mark, XS Max even a bit worse. Then the 13 exactly the same. It's always funny how "amazingly fast" the new model feels when you buy it.

Battery health 88%.

Don't get me wrong, still the best phone in the world since 2007. I would tinker with Symbian S60 just to install an mp3 player on a 6600 so kids these days have absolutely no clue how much they take the iPhone quality for granted.

Yet, even so. If it was 10 times worse than Android, the app quality alone makes it a better purchase than a Samsung.

Bottom line, I am going to keep this phone until it does not support the latest software, like a 6S in 2023 sort of experience.

That money can be better spent on a Studio Display or even a macbook than thrown at a phone and boy we're not even discussing the EU prices.
I can see what you mean. I recently purchased a near mint 13 Pro Max with 256 GB for a great price and at the battery health was also 88%. Thought about getting either a 14 or 15 PM, but really prefer to still have the SIM tray for international travel and have a bunch of lightning cables, so USB-C isn't a motivating factor yet.

I upgraded from an 11 Pro Max that with a cracked back from an accidental drop and sold it for recycling while it was still worth something. Perhaps the newness hasn't worn off yet, but I'm finding the 13 PM to be a nice upgrade, especially with the 120 hz refresh rate, 5G and more RAM. I also just bought a new battery and have noticed that it performs more smoothly than before. There isn't any lag.

I was initially hesitant about purchasing a two year old phone, but it's been a nice upgrade and that I didn't have to purchase the latest model in order to have the experience of a nice upgrade.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I have a 13 pro max with 100gig free space, new battery and the latest update installed. Zero lag
I do wonder if 6GB RAM vs 4GB RAM would perhaps allow higher tolerance to lag. It is happening but only started being quite obvious once I went past iOS 17 on my 13 Mini (4GB) with the KB mainly.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
What lag on 13 PM? Mine works great with latest update. By the time I upgrade it will most likely iPhone 18 or iPhone 19. I can try to convince myself to get a new one for FOMO or use a newer model which may seem snappy. I saw huge jump from iPhone 7+ to 13 PM, but it wasn’t like iPhone 7 was bad before I upgraded.

Reactions: cableguy84

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I do wonder if 6GB RAM vs 4GB RAM would perhaps allow higher tolerance to lag. It is happening but only started being quite obvious once I went past iOS 17 on my 13 Mini (4GB) with the KB mainly.
My 14PM 256gb is sitting on ios 17.1 and also has this lagging kb issue, so i think you are fine from RAM standpoint.
Before that it would kick me out of photos on earlier ios 17.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
“It's always funny how "amazingly fast" the new model feels when you buy it”.

I mean, you can maintain that. Never update and you won’t lose performance or battery life.

It doesn’t have to be like that. I actually kind of agree with the premise: when degradation is significant, then users can feel as if their purchase was too expensive for what you get.

The tool to prevent this is there. It’s on the user to choose.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
My 14 Pro is fast as feck compared to my XS Max.. I was genuinely surprised that it cannot run the Resident Evil game. FFS lol.

Sport92

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2021
I think the last time you could hold an iphone for 3 years and still feel "like in day one" was the 5/5S era.
I don't know. Obviously it's not 3 years yet, but I'm about to get a new battery put in my launch day iPhone 13 Pro. Holding it for a few more years. This thing still feels new to me.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Gonna be honest here.. just for daily stuff there is not much difference in speed between my XSM and 14P. Games and updates is another thing though.. 14P mops the floor with it.

Reactions: I7guy

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015

I can't see or feel any lag on my 13 Pro, and the battery (86%) still lasts all day, and then some. Played with a coworkers 15 Pro and couldn't tell any difference moving around, opening apps or with keyboard/typing.

I don't play any games on my phone, so can't comment on that.

183gb free out of 256gb.

Money isn't concern, but upgrading yearly or even every two is wasteful at this point. There is little to no point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Kim

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
I used to upgrade the phone almost every year until the 6s came out. Since then it's been once in several years. I got the 13 mini after the 8 and skipped everything in between. Considering how long these phones last without compromising the performance, the cost is worth it. When it comes to the Pro line, however, it only makes sense to buy those for their features to use for work, for example content creation without having to use a standalone camera. Otherwise buying the Pro line is a waste of money and a greater drop in value. As for the software, I noticed that it's best to update max 2 versions and then stop.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Yeah, not my experience.

The iPhone has gotten expensive. So, I buy older models new. Right now I have the 11 Pro Max on iOS 17 and my older 6s Plus on iOS 15. Both do exactly what I need with no problems.

But I sit in front of multiple computers and large monitors for 16+ hours a day. I'm not using my phones for anything other than calls, emails and text messaging.
Wow I have the exact same set up— 11 Pro Max & 6s Plus on same iOS as described. Doppelgänger is that you?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My 14 Pro is fast as feck compared to my XS Max.. I was genuinely surprised that it cannot run the Resident Evil game. FFS lol.
After the battery replace last year in my Xs max, it felt like a brand new out of the box experience.

Fast forward to December of 2023 where I traded in my beloved max for a 15 pm. It was night and day.

For example, on my max macrumors loaded in two blinks of an eye. On the 15pm it loads before the blink finishes.

Of course it’s 5 years of improvements and not that the max was a slouch. But it took me a few days to get used to almost everything popping instantly.

As for the op unless there was an issue on ops’ 13pm, iOS 17.2.1 on my max had stellar performance and as new battery life (which to be honest wasn’t great to begin with)

Reactions: Sorinut

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I used to upgrade the phone almost every year until the 6s came out. Since then it's been once in several years. I got the 13 mini after the 8 and skipped everything in between. Considering how long these phones last without compromising the performance, the cost is worth it. When it comes to the Pro line, however, it only makes sense to buy those for their features to use for work, for example content creation without having to use a standalone camera. Otherwise buying the Pro line is a waste of money and a greater drop in value. As for the software, I noticed that it's best to update max 2 versions and then stop.
Yeah, typically the first major update is okay. I’d say the second one may introduce a slight battery life impact nowadays, but nothing too unusable.

Anything after that and you’re playing with fire that cannot be put out.

Reactions: antonrg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I mean it is, but too expensive lol. $1800 for 1TB and a case, I already have my 512 at around 40 gigs left.

I experienced the very same story with 6S Plus, too lagy after the 2.5 year mark, XS Max even a bit worse. Then the 13 exactly the same. It's always funny how "amazingly fast" the new model feels when you buy it.

Battery health 88%.

Don't get me wrong, still the best phone in the world since 2007. I would tinker with Symbian S60 just to install an mp3 player on a 6600 so kids these days have absolutely no clue how much they take the iPhone quality for granted.

Yet, even so. If it was 10 times worse than Android, the app quality alone makes it a better purchase than a Samsung.

Bottom line, I am going to keep this phone until it does not support the latest software, like a 6S in 2023 sort of experience.

That money can be better spent on a Studio Display or even a macbook than thrown at a phone and boy we're not even discussing the EU prices.
I suppose you call my ex-XS Max laggy compared to my 15PM, however the hardware within the two phones are not on the same planet.

I suppose "laggy" has different meanings for different people. My xs max didn't have random stutters, apps opened up reasonably fast, battery life was commensurate with how I remember it originally in 2018 (after a new battery). That said, all of this is anecdotal - at least on the Max you and I have different experiences.

My sons iphone 12, which I used the other day on 17.2.1 does not have lag or stutters. I cannot fathom how the 13 has lag or stutters, unless it is something unique to the iphone 13.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
yes the price is high but most carriers seem to offer "free" phones - with the credits extending the length of the contract. I think one if the approaches is to wait a couple of months after new availability and see what the offers are

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.