Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarTeROn

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
Respect your privacy?
Yes. But it's not all rainbows and unicorns after that Triangle malware gave us the smoking gun for the baseband backdoor.

This is a genuine question but I've always been curious as to what people with a 256gb+ phone actually stuff it with to require the storage. This isn't a 'I don't need it so why would anyone else?' post: I genuinely want to understand.
1) 20GB of WhatsApp messages that we can't delete one by one.
2) Photos that don't offload to iCloud properly.
3) A massive anatomy study app for University
4) Genshin Impact's 50GB.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
At any rate if a base iPhone comes with 128gb storage than a base MacBook Air or iMac should have 512.
Agreed, a base MBP comes with 8GB RAM. Unacceptable today. My Lenovo workstation has 128GB. Can you imagine how much that would cost if Apple started offering that!

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I agree that iPhones especially the pro’s have become more costly over the years. Hence i try to hang onto my phone for as long as possible until something comes out that makes me excited & happy to cash out my wallet.

I am still using a iphone 12 pro max, which is still running like a dream. I do not understand this urge to update a phone every year.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA and geta

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
This is a genuine question but I've always been curious as to what people with a 256gb+ phone actually stuff it with to require the storage. This isn't a 'I don't need it so why would anyone else?' post: I genuinely want to understand.

I like to keep my photos and some of the movies I purchased on my device and not rely on iCloud. I’ve had a bad experience using the iCloud backup for photos back in 2016.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I like to keep my photos and some of the movies I purchased on my device and not rely on iCloud. I’ve had a bad experience using the iCloud backup for photos back in 2016.
There are more cloud options, in addition there are also USB sticks, but having so much memory is slowing down a device, Use storage devices other than the iPhone, because if it breaks or you lose it, you stop having everything stored.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
There are more cloud options, in addition there are also USB sticks, but having so much memory is slowing down a device, Use storage devices other than the iPhone, because if it breaks or you lose it, you stop having everything stored.

I don’t get you. USB sticks have a higher failure rate than iPhones. At this point you’re just digging down the barrel to convince yourself there is no worth in getting iPhones with larger storage.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
My recommendation to a lot of people, besides backing up your device periodically, is to keep what you use everyday or often on your device and store everything else you rarely or almost never look at off the device.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I don’t get you. USB sticks have a higher failure rate than iPhones. At this point you’re just digging down the barrel to convince yourself there is no worth in getting iPhones with larger storage.
Well, I have an iPhone 14 Pro with 128 Gb, and I take it of this size because of the apps that weigh more and more, and save some data, file or image, but I like to download it in the cloud, since it will always be there, but Al Rukh, you know that all this is personally based opinions.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Well, I have an iPhone 14 Pro with 128 Gb, and I take it of this size because of the apps that weigh more and more, and save some data, file or image, but I like to download it in the cloud, since it will always be there, but Al Rukh, you know that all this is personally based opinions.

Oh no I totally understand where you’re coming from - about there is no need for higher storage due to iCloud services. But to suggest USB drive to someone who doesn’t want to use iCloud and is happy to use an iPhone with higher storage, is not accurate and does not make sense.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Unlike you, I have an excellent experience on iCloud, but it is logical that not all people have the same experience.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Oh no I totally understand where you’re coming from - about there is no need for higher storage due to iCloud services. But to suggest USB drive to someone who doesn’t want to use iCloud and is happy to use an iPhone with higher storage, is not accurate and does not make sense.
Using a USB drive is an intermediate step, from my point of view, it is not the ideal solution. I agree with you, and... where do you think I come from?

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I’m using a 13 Pro and have no lag at all, so not sure what it is OP is experiencing.

I agree though that the “latest” iPhone is not worth the price anymore, simply from the point of view that difference between generations (especially looking at 13,14,15) are so incremental, as well as irrelevant to my specific use case (mostly based around camera improvement and gaming) that buying the latest gen is not good value with previous gen available for much less.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Using a USB drive is an intermediate step, from my point of view, it is not the ideal solution. I agree with you, and... where do you think I come from?

Why is there a need to have an intermediate step? Explain that and maybe we would go somewhere.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Why is there a need to have an intermediate step? Explain that and maybe we would go somewhere.
They are ways of talking, and a USB can be an intermediate means, depending on the data you have, but let's go, I don't want to convince and I'm delighted to use my iCloud.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Son formas de hablar, y un USB puede ser un medio intermedio, en función de los datos que dispongas, pero vamos que no quiero convencer y estoy encantado de usar mi iCloud.

I don’t speak Spanish. Perhaps Tapatalk translated your posts hence I felt the need to response.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
When I consider how much I use and depend on my phone, it is worth it for sure! I trade it in every year for the latest model with no regret!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I mean it is, but too expensive lol. $1800 for 1TB and a case, I already have my 512 at around 40 gigs left.

a 13 Pro Max with 17.2.1 is simply too laggy (feel like the "not athorized underclocking" fiasco all over again).

I think the last time you could hold an iphone for 3 years and still feel "like in day one" was the 5/5S era.

I experienced the very same story with 6S Plus, too lagy after the 2.5 year mark, XS Max even a bit worse. Then the 13 exactly the same. It's always funny how "amazingly fast" the new model feels when you buy it.

Battery health 88%.

Don't get me wrong, still the best phone in the world since 2007. I would tinker with Symbian S60 just to install an mp3 player on a 6600 so kids these days have absolutely no clue how much they take the iPhone quality for granted.

Yet, even so. If it was 10 times worse than Android, the app quality alone makes it a better purchase than a Samsung.

Bottom line, I am going to keep this phone until it does not support the latest software, like a 6S in 2023 sort of experience.

That money can be better spent on a Studio Display or even a macbook than thrown at a phone and boy we're not even discussing the EU prices.
Very odd that you are experiencing lag. I gave my mother my 13 Pro Max when I upgraded to my 15 Pro Max and the 13 Pro Max on latest iOS 17.3.1 is incredibly fast and smooth, in our experience, same with a friend and his wife who both have 13 PMs as well, his 13 PM just feels like a 15 PM but with a Notch in terms of using the UI.

If anything the 13 Pro Max to me is probably the best value for money iPhone Pro Max, you basically get most of what 14 PM and 15 PM offer including high performance, at a fraction of the price.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I always pay for my iPhone in full up front without contracts and doing so every year is a bit more than I want to spend. The most frequent for me would be every two years. The biggest reason I like to upgrade is the camera, which is my biggest use beyond regular phone stuff. I have a 14 pro now and will probably wait until the 16 series at least.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
With my last purchase, an iPhone SE 3, I decided to not purchase it new, and instead go through the open box route. I was literally waiting on the Apple Store for my turn to either purchase one of the last 13 mini remaining on the store, which at 800€ weren’t discounted at all (funny enough they were more expensive than the iPhone 14 that had just dropped in price) or just get a new SE3 for 500€, or 600€ for the 128GB version.

While I was waiting, I had the idea of checking on a nearby phone store that sells open box and second hand iPhones. So I told the Apple Store guy that I was leaving until it was my turn, and went to this store.

When I arrived to this phone store, I asked the employee to see the SE 3 units they had in store, so he showed me three or four phones. One of them was… new. Literally new. And the screen was gorgeous (not all LCD screens are the same, even on the same model). So I paid 300€ for this new iPhone SE3, which after checking with Coconut, had only 2 battery cycles. I was so happy with this purchase!!

With this option, I was able to compare the screens of different units, side by side, something you’re not able to do at an Apple Store (we all know the screen lottery, which is even worse on OLED models), and save between 200 and 500€ with this purchase.

Now I have a perfectly capable iPhone SE 3, the same machine as the iPhone 13 (the 14 has more RAM, and RAM will be very important in future iOS versions, so I don’t include it), at a much, much lower price. With the added benefit that I prefer LCD screens over OLED because they are much easier on my eyes.

I plan to keep this SE 3 for as long as I am able, being very careful as for when to update the iOS taking into account performance and battery life. Unless Apple releases a smaller iPhone 17, or 18, or the upcoming iPhone 16 OLED screen is really comfortable to use, I will be using this SE 3 for many, many years. Being an A15 device, I really expect it to last. Best 300€ spent in a long time, for sure!

PS: my previous iPhone 8, purchased new at the Apple Store, was significantly more expensive than this SE3, and used it for at least 5 years!!!

TL;DR: yes, I agree that nowadays, it makes little sense, at least for me, to spend a thousand bucks for an iPhone. Maybe if you need a rare model, with bigger storage and you have the money, go for it! But for me, it isn’t worth it, especially when Apple doesn’t offer an appealing enough device for me: I.e. a more compact form factor and a more comfortable screen for my eyes.

Edit: Excuse me, I just read the title of the thread but not the original post. I think my point is slightly different from OP’s.

Last edited:

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I always pay for my iPhone in full up front without contracts and doing so every year is a bit more than I want to spend. The most frequent for me would be every two years. The biggest reason I like to upgrade is the camera, which is my biggest use beyond regular phone stuff. I have a 14 pro now and will probably wait until the 16 series at least.
Yes, sir!!! Yeah!!! :guay:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.