Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Just an fyi for those that don’t know - Thunderbolt cables do not work with high speed usb c ports on windows machines. I had issues syncing my music via iTunes and it wouldn’t work with a thunderbolt cable.
That right sucks to hear. I hope Apple did something to make negotiate right on Macs as all of my usb-c data cables are TB.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
That right sucks to hear. I hope Apple did something to make negotiate right on Macs as all of my usb-c data cables are TB.
I can confirm that macOS recognises the iPhone as USB 3.1 10 Gbps with the Apple Thunderbolt cable

Reactions: dsteve

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
My iPhone 15 connects to my Pro Display XDR (at 4k) using the Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable. Now if only I could run full OSX on this phone my dreams would come true!
I have an XDR, can you elaborate on what you mean here? And maybe post in the XDR owner’s thread as well?

Reactions: uller6

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Just an fyi for those that don’t know - Thunderbolt cables do not work with high speed usb c ports on windows machines. I had issues syncing my music via iTunes and it wouldn’t work with a thunderbolt cable.
If you’re not using this port as thunderbolt for anything else, are you able to disable thunderbolt? Maybe it’ll negotiate to 10gbps usb 3.whatever-they-call-it-today after that.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Anyone check if Canon EOS EF or RF bodies like the 5D Mark IV or R5 will work with the iPhone?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have an XDR, can you elaborate on what you mean here? And maybe post in the XDR owner’s thread as well?
IMG_9027.jpeg

I plugged the iphone 15 into the Pro Display XDR using an Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable. It charges the phone and mirrors the screen, as you can see, but doesn’t use full resolution or screen space of the XDR.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
Curious if Beats Studio Pro connected with the usb-c cable allows listening to lossless audio in iTunes as it does with MacBook Pro.
Replying to my own post- Latest Beats Studio Pros connected to iPhone 15 with a USB-C cable does in fact play true lossless audio files. Confirmed 1) Trying it myself from picking up my iPhone 15 2) Posed the question in the iPhone subreddit, and a guy connected his DAC and the output from the phone did read as LOSSLESS.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Yes it will. Lower powered charge generates less heat, so it’s easier on any lithium batteries, e-cars included.

If we keep our gadgets for 1-3 years, it might not matter indeed, yet to make them last longer with their original battery lower powered charging is the way to go.
Well it certainly doesnt make a difference to the advertised battery health then. I had two iphone 12’s bought at the same time for work and personal use. My personal was charged via magsafe/every night and throughout the day and my work phone was charged using a 5w adapter wired every night/ throughout the day. Charged like this for 3 years and both ended up with 82% battery health as of last week. My personal phone was also drained all the way regularly while the work phone never went below 30%.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I plugged the iphone 15 into the Pro Display XDR using an Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable. It charges the phone and mirrors the screen, as you can see, but doesn’t use full resolution or screen space of the XDR.
Thank you! I had not done screen mirroring w our Mini, so I wasn't sure what the functionality was. I presume this works on a Studio display also?

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Reactions: sack_peak

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Fair point, I just saw the question and answered it since my camera was sitting there. I've used it with my iPad Pro before, too.
Yeah the transfer is pretty slow with the larger RAW files, so that’s a pretty big benefit with the USB-C port. I kind of wish I had more reasons to justify upgrading from my 14 Pro other than having that new port.

Reactions: Patcell

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
Replying to my own post- Latest Beats Studio Pros connected to iPhone 15 with a USB-C cable does in fact play true lossless audio files. Confirmed 1) Trying it myself from picking up my iPhone 15 2) Posed the question in the iPhone subreddit, and a guy connected his DAC and the output from the phone did read as LOSSLESS.
What DAC did he connect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.