Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
He posted that he connected a Qudelics 5k and it's lossless. Comfirmed within the app of the DAC by going between wired and Bluetooth.

Reactions: KurtWilde

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It's 72mins per TB of SSD according to iOS. The codec itself should be right around 330MB/sec or 20GB/min. Multiply * 8 for the bitrate.
thanks for this. Where do you see iOS reporting the storage size? Also, would you please link out to the codec spec you are referencing?

Based on the first number, the format requires 14.22 gb a minute. Or 242 mb a second.

A 128gb drive would fill up just shy of 9 minutes. Makes sense why Apple would not let this get stored on smaller devices. Seems like it could work ok on the biggest though.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
thanks for this. Where do you see iOS reporting the storage size? Also, would you please link out to the codec spec you are referencing?

Based on the first number, the format requires 14.22 gb a minute. Or 242 mb a second.

A 128gb drive would fill up just shy of 9 minutes. Makes sense why Apple would not let this get stored on smaller devices. Seems like it could work ok on the biggest though.
The camera app gives a time remaining anytime you are saving ProRes externally. You can use this calculator here http://colorlab.com/calculator.html

Also is audio to consider. Possible Apple doing some subtle variant of 422, resulting in bitrate differences. You get a much larger choice of formats with tbe Blackmagic camera app.

Reactions: - rob -

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
This UPERFECT 4k OLED 15.6" travel monitor, which is the perfect travel companion to my 16" M2 Max MBP, works amazingly with a single thunderbolt cable plugged into my iPhone 15 PM. The 4k playback is fantastic and is frankly better than all the blooming on the XDR display of the MBP.

Touch screen does not work like it does when connected to my Mac, but hey… playback is great. COD mobile is not 4k and is the same aspect ratio as the phone. Not sure what games(if any at the moment) can mirror at 4k. I guess I’ll wait for Assassin’s Creed.

Link here (Bought mine off amazon for much cheaper by "Innocn" but they can not be found anymore)

uperfect-oled-portable-monitor-4k-uperfect-o-156e13_1_1024x1024.png

Reactions: Ryan P

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
View attachment 2278171

I plugged the iphone 15 into the Pro Display XDR using an Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable. It charges the phone and mirrors the screen, as you can see, but doesn’t use full resolution or screen space of the XDR.
Not that it matters much to me… but can confirm this did not work on my LG 5k UltraFine monitor via thunderbolt.

It began charging the phone and then an error message popped up and said “Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this phone”

Connecting to my 4k OLED portable monitor via USB-C thunderbolt worked great however(which I might actually use), but can’t really think of why I’d want to connect the iPhone to my desktop monitors.

Reactions: - rob - and uller6

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
He posted that he connected a Qudelics 5k and it's lossless. Comfirmed within the app of the DAC by going between wired and Bluetooth.
Please add to the wiki
Not that it matters much to me… but can confirm this did not work on my LG 5k UltraFine monitor via thunderbolt.

It began charging the phone and then an error message popped up and said “Thunderbolt accessories are not supported on this phone”

Connecting to my 4k OLED portable monitor via USB-C thunderbolt worked great however(which I might actually use), but can’t really think of why I’d want to connect the iPhone to my desktop monitors.

So IIRC there’s something about the way LG UltraFines handle the image. IIRC it’s not DisplayPort Alt Mode over USB-C but actual thunderbolt, hence why it doesn’t work with your iPhone.

Reactions: mlayer and adam1080

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
I'd love to find a super compact USB-C 3.2 drive like this PNY 128GB Elite-X Fit, but in USB-C. Something I could plug in for ProRes recording without it sticking out 3". Has anyone found one?
This should work 🙂

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
This should work 🙂
I have that Samsung USB-C flash drive, be careful if your iPhone is in a case. I have mine in a Quad Lock case and the cutout for the USB-C port is too small for the Samsung flash drive to plug in. I have to remove the phone from the case in order to properly plug it in, which is a PITA.

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
I have that Samsung USB-C flash drive, be careful if your iPhone is in a case. I have mine in a Quad Lock case and the cutout for the USB-C port is too small for the Samsung flash drive to plug in. I have to remove the phone from the case in order to properly plug it in, which is a PITA.
Thanks. I avveksling have the QuadLock case in for a review. Great to hear that. I found the QuadLock case for the 14 Pro tip be a little slippery, and this one seems to be the same, but I have to try.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
This should work 🙂
Also, you should run Blackmagic disk speed test on that drive to confirm it can handle the sustained write rates you want - 220MB/s for 4k60.

Check this thread for unsuccessful results on an even faster marketed thumbdrive:

Reactions: torbjornhb

Youth in Asia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2023
Can someone help me understand why my 15PM does not transfer at full speed when connected to my M1 MacBook Pro 14?

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I got my Pro Max 15 plugged into the Rog ally Charger dock. The iPhone is passing is displaying video on my 40inch 4k tv (cropped sadly) and it is using both the mouse and the keyboard. For the mouse to work assistive touch had to be enabled that was all then the pointer showed up. If they allowed Mac OS on the iPhone and allowed it to show full screen I wouldn’t need a Mac.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
@Youth in Asia , @killawat has a good suggestion then. Make sure system information shows 10Gb/s.

But also, what are you trying to transfer and how are you measuring it? I noticed restoring a backup to the new iPhone took ages. Others have said the same thing but said they had good results transferring files.

Reactions: killawat

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I am using Thunderbolt 4 cable from Anker.
The cable is capable of 10GB/s when the device is hooked up to MacBook Pro M1 in system settings. However, with M1 macbooks they don't support 3.1. full 10GB speeds.The same probably goes for other USB C apple products. It is all quite confusing really.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
If they allowed Mac OS on the iPhone and allowed it to show full screen I wouldn’t need a Mac.

People complain their iPhones get hot just from charging and some usage, so imagine what a much larger OS would do to a phone.

1. macOS has a memory footprint much larger than iOS or iPadOS and the OS uses much more disk space.

2. macOS also manages memory differently than iOS/iPadOS. Background processes also consume more resources on macOS.

3. Mac apps are more CPU intensive than iOS/iPadOS apps.

4. macOS has two partitions, one for the system and one for the user. This would not be good for booting dual operating systems on a phone or tablet.

5. The directory structure of the user's home folder is completely different on macOS compared to iOS/iPadOS.

6. Finally, they will not put a system called 'macOS' on a non-Mac. That's like a restaurant putting beef strips in a vegan burger. Branding and naming matters.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I'm documenting my trials with a 4K60 ProRes rig on a gimbal here and @Ryan P also has a good thread going here.

I tried the fastest flash drive I could find - the Kingston DataTraveler Max - to see if that would help me avoid needing to rig up an SSD. Unfortunately, the 900MB/s advertised write speed is quickly throttled to under the 220MB/s requirement and results in stuttery footage. There are other reviewers stating this, so seems to be a fundamental issue/limitation of the thermals.

Have had no such issues with the SanDisk Extreme SSD - which has worked great thus far. Now just need to figure out how to get it attached when using the Osmo Mobile 6.

Reactions: dsteve

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
I'm documenting my trials with a 4K60 ProRes rig on a gimbal here and @Ryan P also has a good thread going here.

I tried the fastest flash drive I could find - the Kingston DataTraveler Max - to see if that would help me avoid needing to rig up an SSD. Unfortunately, the 900MB/s advertised write speed is quickly throttled to under the 220MB/s requirement and results in stuttery footage. There are other reviewers stating this, so seems to be a fundamental issue/limitation of the thermals.

Have had no such issues with the SanDisk Extreme SSD - which has worked great thus far. Now just need to figure out how to get it attached when using the Osmo Mobile 6.
No issues so far on the X9, but I haven’t tried to record for extended times. Also after a bit of research ProRes is a variable bitrate codec, so that could explain why there are conflicting numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.