Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Now just waiting for this Cable Matters DP to HDMI female adapter, because from the CalDigit Hub the HDMI 2.0b port is shot, i.e. distorted. But thing is HDMI output from the iPhone sucks because of the lack of features. I really want to see if I can get maybe 120Hz refresh! LOL.

But also DP will have HDR etc... so! Happy Hunting!
Just replying to my own post:

The Cable Matters DP to HDMI (came from Amazon), and from the CalDigit Hub, it's STUNNING, DolbyVision on my LG 4K 9 series 50+ inch. The DolbyVision (logo) pops up in the corner when connected. Sucks I can't get 120Hz tho.

But there's a consolation. I have a game I am working on, and while the screen mirrors to the television, my game is still running at 120Hz on the iPhone 15 Pro Max, but only displaying 4K60 on the LG.

So the logic & mechanics all still run at 120fps but can't mirror the 120Hz, because the limitation is 60Hz out I suppose... (extra, I also ran the video DP 1.4 to a DP 1.2 monitor and reported 60Hz sync there too).

Laters...

Yorkieray

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
Leeds UK
Thank you for flagging it up! I guess it depends on the adapter then. Some of them are only meant for charging and not for a signal transfer. These particular adaptors by Basesailor are confirmed CarPlay compatible by Amazon users. 🖐️

Can you tell us exactly which adapter you have tried with your Ford? Please send us a link or a picture, so others do not fall for it.
Apologies for the delay in replying. These are the adapters that I was using.
I have ordered the Anker cables for delivery tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/buy/tha...93904&ref_=chk_typ_browserRefresh&isRefresh=1

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Some cables that I've been using with SSDs and getting 10Gbps speeds, I'm only getting 480Mbps speeds on iPhone 15 Pro. It's incredibly bizarre. Does anyone have ideas as to why this may be happening? I have a lot of high-speed USB C cables but only a handful are working at optimum speeds.

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
when I'm not using my 15PM, it sits on the USB-C docking station that's connected to a Schiit DAC for music playing.
Oh my, standby mode works perfectly for this purpose too.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Just replying to my own post:

The Cable Matters DP to HDMI (came from Amazon), and from the CalDigit Hub, it's STUNNING, DolbyVision on my LG 4K 9 series 50+ inch. The DolbyVision (logo) pops up in the corner when connected. Sucks I can't get 120Hz tho.

But there's a consolation. I have a game I am working on, and while the screen mirrors to the television, my game is still running at 120Hz on the iPhone 15 Pro Max, but only displaying 4K60 on the LG.

So the logic & mechanics all still run at 120fps but can't mirror the 120Hz, because the limitation is 60Hz out I suppose... (extra, I also ran the video DP 1.4 to a DP 1.2 monitor and reported 60Hz sync there too).

Laters...

Apple had to save something for the iPhone 16 Pro with the incremental move to ThunderBolt 4 and ability to output via USB-C/TB to 4k @ 120hz or 8k @ 60hz.

The IP 15 Pros work great via USB-C/TB direct to my 4k @60hz OLED portable monitor. I just don't have(or need) a 4k 120hz device with a USB-C input. They make them and they are WAY cheaper than my 4k OLED monitor, but the contrast of OLED was way more important than an LCD/LED 4k display with higher refresh rate in a portable monitor used mostly for dual screen work setup while traveling.

For 💩 and giggles, I should connect the phone to my LG G3 and see what it do...

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I currently use a Pro-Clip mount that holds a MagSafe charger for my iPPM 14.
I only have one USB-C port in my car.
Can I plug my watch charger into the iPPM 15 while the phone charges via MagSafe?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Can I plug my watch charger into the iPPM 15 while the phone charges via MagSafe?
I never thought of that - I'll definitely try it this evening and report back (unless someone else does before me).

Reactions: andyw715

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Curious about that too… might be a reason to actually use it.

Am I the only person to have NEVER even tried MagSafe charging my phone? (Despite owning every Pro phone with that capability…)

I fast charge only, ever since iPhone X and usb-c to lightning. Threw out my old cables on that day.

Whether it’s a PD charger in the car or my MANY battery packs(Nitecore NB10000, smallest/lightest 10000 mAh PD pack on earth; or the new Anker 140w chargers with OLED displays and some others)

I used to have usb-c to lightning cables all over. Some tiny ones in my EDC kit with the Nitecore pack. I had emergency power all the time and they charged quickly. 15W or less seems too long and too inconvenient for my lifestyle and traveling like I do.

I typically want the quickest charging and then move on with not being attached or connected to power.

Reactions: andyw715

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Am I the only person to have NEVER even tried MagSafe charging my phone? (Despite owning every Pro phone with that capability…)
Lol
I might be the only person to have NEVER plugged anything into my iPhone since iPP 11 :)

Ever since Apple introduced wireless charging I've either had a desk dock or a magnetic car charger (Anker/Socshe pre-MagSafe; now both are MagSafe.)

USB-C was defiantly not the reason for me to get a iPPM 15 :)

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
iPhone 15 Pro Max. Tested HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05913756
Everything works on it... charges, display to monitor using DP, USB keyboard works when connected, USB drive shows in Files when connected, Gigabit Ethernet works. Only thing was unable to test was audio out via speakers jack because I do not have any here.
I'll take your Thunderbolt Dock G2 and raise you a HP USB-C Dock G5! Similar capabilities on my iPhone 15, much like the HP Elite USB-C Dock G3 I tried earlier. If I had splurged on a Pro, I'd be trying the Dell Thunderbolt docks we have around here, but alas.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Holy crap this is amazing. This switch to USB-C has opened a whole world of peripherals that had been locked away from iPhone users.

I bet my USB-C to TOSlink adapter will work too. Lossless toslink from my phone to a nice sound system! WIN!!
In about 2002, I was stationed in Japan and had a cell-phone with a TOSlink port.

• Wow
Reactions: rezwits

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

I never thought of that - I'll definitely try it this evening and report back (unless someone else does before me).

Just tried—iPhone 15 on an Apple MagSafe charger, Apple Watch S4 connected via the phone's USB-C port worked. It also worked with my Anker 622 battery connected to my phone.

Reactions: adam1080

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Anker 518 USB-C -> HDMI adapter seems to work well with my Samsung QN90B TV.
Hulu, Disney+, Plex & Prime Video worked well.
Youtube & YoutubeTV required a HDMI 2.1 certified cable that supports HDCP 2.2 From some reading, these two are apparently picky on HDCP. With an old random cable, I would get sound but no video. I also had to have the video in landscape before plugging the usb-c adapter in. If vertical and then rotated I would get sound but no video.
Netflix doesn't work at all. I get an error that external displays are not supported.

Reactions: ysvsr1

a83859372

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Curious about that too… might be a reason to actually use it.

I fast charge only, ever since iPhone X and usb-c to lightning. Threw out my old cables on that day.

Whether it’s a PD charger in the car or my MANY battery packs(Nitecore NB10000, smallest/lightest 10000 mAh PD pack on earth; or the new Anker 140w chargers with OLED displays and some others)

I used to have usb-c to lightning cables all over. Some tiny ones in my EDC kit with the Nitecore pack. I had emergency power all the time and they charged quickly. 15W or less seems too long and too inconvenient for my lifestyle and traveling like I do.

I typically want the quickest charging and then move on with not being attached or connected to power.
I was able to charge my Apple Watch using my iPhone 15 PM while it was charging via magsafe..:-

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 67

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Has anyone been able to create a backup to a USB drive using USB C?
I have 128GB drive connected to a USB C adapter. But I can’t get IOS to see it for backups.

96d189c2f7c1e7916bd02c52a1cbceb7.jpg

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
So I was looking for something off the wall to try and was digging though old stuff and found a USB 2.0 Zip drive, yes the 100mb one, plugged in a USB-C adaptor and guess what it worked! Transferred a file off and on the drive, LOL!

Reactions: kyjaotkb

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Anker 518 USB-C -> HDMI adapter seems to work well with my Samsung QN90B TV.
Hulu, Disney+, Plex & Prime Video worked well.
Youtube & YoutubeTV required a HDMI 2.1 certified cable that supports HDCP 2.2 From some reading, these two are apparently picky on HDCP. With an old random cable, I would get sound but no video. I also had to have the video in landscape before plugging the usb-c adapter in. If vertical and then rotated I would get sound but no video.
Netflix doesn't work at all. I get an error that external displays are not supported.
Thanks for the update. Can we turn off the iphone screen while playing video? Do we get full screen on tv? I am planning to use this setup in my vacation in hotel room. Can we use this setup to watch downloaded videos from above mentioned apps? If I have hdmi 2.1 certified cable, do i get youtube and Netflix as well?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Thanks for the update. Can we turn off the iphone screen while playing video? Do we get full screen on tv? I am planning to use this setup in my vacation in hotel room. Can we use this setup to watch downloaded videos from above mentioned apps? If I have hdmi 2.1 certified cable, do i get youtube and Netflix as well?
It depends on the app, whether or not they support most of those things. Some will just mirror your iPhone screen, others will play full screen on a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.