Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Glad Apple put USB-C on iPhone as it can be more useful than lightning cable did.
Yep, a lot of the USB devices (such as keyboards and Ethernet adapters) would work with the Camera Connection Kit, but sometimes you needed to have it plugged in to power for higher-draw devices. This simplifies all of it so much (and cuts down on the amount of cables I have to carry between my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Rather niche, but I can confirm the usb-c version of the butterfly iq+ ultrasound is compatible with the 15 pro max. Not super surprising since they call out iPad Pro compatibility, but still.

Reactions: ecschwarz

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
SanDisk Extreme SSD isn't detected most of the time. Need to keep reconnecting until it mounts. Doing big file transfers can freeze the Files app. Tried different cables with same result.

No problem on macOS, although sometimes Sonoma takes longer to mount it than Ventura did.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
SanDisk Extreme SSD isn't detected most of the time. Need to keep reconnecting until it mounts. Doing big file transfers can freeze the Files app. Tried different cables with same result.

No problem on macOS, although sometimes Sonoma takes longer to mount it than Ventura did.
same problem here when connecting sandisk ext ssd to iphone 15. I guess it's power issue. On the other hand, my caldigit tuff nano 1TB works with iphone 15. no problem so far. captured prores 4k60 HDR and LOG without issues. so far so good.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for the update. Can we turn off the iphone screen while playing video? Do we get full screen on tv? I am planning to use this setup in my vacation in hotel room. Can we use this setup to watch downloaded videos from above mentioned apps? If I have hdmi 2.1 certified cable, do i get youtube and Netflix as well?
So, did some more testing.
Netflix seems to be a no go. It seems they do not support external display at all.
Plex, Disney+, Amazon Video, & Hulu seem to work well. Prime, Plex and Disney were full screen with controls on the phone screen. Phone screen would dim. Some Hulu was like this, some mirrored.
YouTube and YouTube TV are proving problematic. Most time they go to a blank screen with just sound on the TV when rotated landscape.
I bought the official Apple multi-port AV adapter, and it is the same.
All apps worked perfectly over the Lightning AV adapter. I verified on my son's iPhone 13 Max running iOS 17 it still works great. Seems USB-C is a step backwards here.

On edit, I have reached out to Youtube TV support to see what they say. Seems to be an app issue as other apps work fine over the usb-c adapters, and the app works fine over the Lightning AV adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ysvsr1

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Netflix seems to be a no go. It seems they do not support external display at all.
Plex, Disney+, Amazon Video, & Hulu seem to work well. Prime, Plex and Disney were full screen with controls on the phone screen. Phone screen would dim. Some Hulu was like this, some mirrored.
YouTube and YouTube TV are proving problematic. Most time they go to a blank screen with just sound on the TV when rotated landscape.
All apps worked perfectly over the Lightning AV adapter. I verified on my son's iPhone 13 Max running iOS 17 it still works great. Seems USB-C is a step backwards here.

On edit, I have reached out to Youtube TV support to see what they say. Seems to be an app issue as other apps work fine over the usb-c adapters, and the app works fine over the Lightning AV adapter.
Thank you. Please keep us posted with your findings. I got mine today and will share my findings too. I do have anker usb c to hdmi adapter and subscriptions to almost all streaming services.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Thank you. Please keep us posted with your findings. I got mine today and will share my findings too. I do have anker usb c to hdmi adapter and subscriptions to almost all streaming services.
I have heard some of the cheaper usb-c to HDMI adapters may work.....I can get the Anker to work on Youtube TV if I plug it in with the video horizontal. If I ever move the phone portrait, I have to unplug and re-plug, sometimes more than once.

I can order more adapters from Amazon and return those that don't work, but that is a pain.
The Anker 518 I have is the newest. The 318 is a bit older. Wish I had that one to try.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Youtube TV support got back to me. They basically said they do not guarantee it will work with physical hardware connections and suggested I use a streaming device. Sort of defeats the purpose for my use cases. They did say they would pass along my feedback.......for what that is worth. I get the feeling nothing will be done unless more folks complain.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

So on my end, trying with a monitor that supports USB-C as well as trying a different monitor with a USB-C to displayport cable, youtube seems to work fine. I don't have Netflix so I can't really confirm anything there. Haven't tried a USB-C to HDMI adapter yet

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
All my apps are now up-to-date

Netflix in 4k works great with controls on phone via USB-C to USB-C 4k monitor
Hulu 4k and controls on phone.
YouTube didn't work last week(was simply mirroring phone resolution and AR)... but with update I am playing full 4K now
AppleTV is GD amazing and beautiful of course - zoomable to fill screen
MAX in 4K controls on phone - zoomable to fill screen
Prime in 4k and controls on phone
Disney+ in 4k and controls on phone
Peacock... not 4k. 720p and looks terrible
Paramount+ 4k and controls on phone

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Nikon z8.

You can transfer photos from the Z8 to the phone the same way as plugging in an sd card reader. Connect phone and camera, select photos to transfer, and done.

Have successfully recorded Apple pro res video to an sd card via the usbc sd card reader.

The usbc is actually the main reason I even upgraded this year.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Glad Apple put USB-C on iPhone as it can be more useful than lightning cable did.
It’s a big event that equivalent to the iPad getting the Smart Connector. In 1 year, there will likely be a floury of new use cases for iPhones that will be unlocked by bespoke USB-C accessories and software updates by Apple.

At the top of my list a filmmakers case that has a slow for a Samsung T7 with a flush USB-C connection to match.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Nikon z8.

You can transfer photos from the Z8 to the phone the same way as plugging in an sd card reader. Connect phone and camera, select photos to transfer, and done.

Have successfully recorded Apple pro res video to an sd card via the usbc sd card reader.

The usbc is actually the main reason I even upgraded this year.
Interesting. This majorly benefits users of dedicated cameras. Now they will be able to shoot, transfer photos and videos over to an iPhone and immediately share online, or edit on the phone. No need to wait until you get home where you would otherwise have had to power up the computer, transfer photos over and then maybe even sent exported photos to the phone and then share on Instagram/Messenger, TikTok etc.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Interesting. This majorly benefits users of dedicated cameras. Now they will be able to shoot, transfer photos and videos over to an iPhone and immediately share online, or edit on the phone. No need to wait until you get home where you would otherwise have had to power up the computer, transfer photos over and then maybe even sent exported photos to the phone and then share on Instagram/Messenger, TikTok etc.

Ya.

The only caveat is that you have to use JPEG right now with the Nikon Z8. The .nef(raw) files are not viewable on MacOS or iOS yet. Always been that way with new camera releases with Nikon and Apple. One day an update will just make it work. Importing into LightRoom or PhotoShop works well enough, but when you have thousands of photos to sort, visual verification is pretty useful in Mac Finder.

It's a great quick backup option to have, too. You can't view the RAWS, but the data is saved and open fine in LR and PS on both MacOS and iOS. Backup to the iPhone first. Then you can plug in a drive like a Samsung T7 SSD and drop the photos from the phone onto the SSD. Brilliant and seamless. Too bad the Samsung 980 Pro nvme doesn't work....yet.

This has changed the game enough to the point I feel like I don't need a laptop on top of an M2 Studio Ultra. It has streamlined the workflow quite a bit with a simple port change.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Ya.

The only caveat is that you have to use JPEG right now with the Nikon Z8. The .nef(raw) files are not viewable on MacOS or iOS yet. Always been that way with new camera releases with Nikon and Apple. One day an update will just make it work. Importing into LightRoom or PhotoShop works well enough, but when you have thousands of photos to sort, visual verification is pretty useful in Mac Finder.

It's a great quick backup option to have, too. You can't view the RAWS, but the data is saved and open fine in LR and PS on both MacOS and iOS. Backup to the iPhone first. Then you can plug in a drive like a Samsung T7 SSD and drop the photos from the phone onto the SSD. Brilliant and seamless. Too bad the Samsung 980 Pro nvme doesn't work....yet.

This has changed the game enough to the point I feel like I don't need a laptop on top of an M2 Studio Ultra. It has streamlined the workflow quite a bit with a simple port change.
Apple is pitching the iphone 15 pro as a professional camera.

To fulfill that purpose, they will have to listen to the community and roll out support for relevant accessories, file formats and work. Transferring, previewing or editing raw camera files from popular popular cameras, using the iphone, would be ideal.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY

To fulfill that purpose, they will have to listen to the community and roll out support for relevant accessories, file formats and work. Transferring, previewing or editing raw camera files from popular popular cameras, using the iphone, would be ideal.
There has to be support for some RAW files from popular cameras though. I’ve been transferring and viewing RAW files from my Canon for a while (at least the last year or two, when I started shooting in RAW) in the default Photos app on both iOS and macOS.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
All my apps are now up-to-date

Netflix in 4k works great with controls on phone via USB-C to USB-C 4k monitor
Hulu 4k and controls on phone.
YouTube didn't work last week(was simply mirroring phone resolution and AR)... but with update I am playing full 4K now
AppleTV is GD amazing and beautiful of course - zoomable to fill screen
MAX in 4K controls on phone - zoomable to fill screen
Prime in 4k and controls on phone
Disney+ in 4k and controls on phone
Peacock... not 4k. 720p and looks terrible
Paramount+ 4k and controls on phone
These are all usb-c to usb-c, correct? And to a monitor, not at TV using an HDMI adapter?

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
These are all usb-c to usb-c, correct? And to a monitor, not at TV using an HDMI adapter?
Correct... to this 15.6" 4k OLED portable Monitor via ThunderBolt 4 cable. I should have tested it to the HDMI port with the Apple Adapter but I was only thinking of doing that to my LG G3 TV.

I'll try all those again on my LG OLED later today with the Apple "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" if I get REALLY bored or need a break from work.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011

Apple updated the raw format list for iOS 17 and Sonoma. Didn’t compare to iOS 16 for changes.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Yes it will. Lower powered charge generates less heat, so it’s easier on any lithium batteries, e-cars included.

If we keep our gadgets for 1-3 years, it might not matter indeed, yet to make them last longer with their original battery lower powered charging is the way to go.
I am not so sure about that. It depends on the level of the battery how to charge. If the battery is completely empty, charging faster can 'force' the electrons in the 'right row'. Which leaves more space for the next ones. And the more electrons are in the battery, the more they will 'reject' each other. That is the moment heat production resulting in damage, starts.

Luckely all modern chargers work according to this system. And the iPhone itself too. That's why you cannot charge at the fastest charging speed when your battery is almost 'full'. To add low capacity chargers to prevent damage to the battery, may in fact cause damage. Because the fast charge in the beginning of the charging proces may not happen.

Let the iPhone decide how to digest its' energy. But to do this give it at least enough....

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I am not so sure about that. It depends on the level of the battery how to charge. If the battery is completely empty, charging faster can 'force' the electrons in the 'right row'. Which leaves more space for the next ones. And the more electrons are in the battery, the more they will 'reject' each other. That is the moment heat production resulting in damage, starts.

Luckely all modern chargers work according to this system. And the iPhone itself too. That's why you cannot charge at the fastest charging speed when your battery is almost 'full'. To add low capacity chargers to prevent damage to the battery, may in fact cause damage. Because the fast charge in the beginning of the charging proces may not happen.

Let the iPhone decide how to digest its' energy. But to do this give it at least enough....

I understand the idea of a variable battery charging depending on how full or empty battery is, however would not a more powerful charger generate more heat to the battery still, thus wearing it out? Electric cars have battery cooling systems installed for the same reason and those kick in several times during the charging cycle. 🤔

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
So on my end, trying with a monitor that supports USB-C as well as trying a different monitor with a USB-C to displayport cable, youtube seems to work fine. I don't have Netflix so I can't really confirm anything there. Haven't tried a USB-C to HDMI adapter yet
I do have anker usb c to hdmi adapter and usb c to hdmi cable from 2022. I will try this week/weekend and share my findings.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I understand the idea of a variable battery charging depending on how full or empty battery is, however would not a more powerful charger generate more heat to the battery still, thus wearing it out? Electric cars have battery cooling systems installed for the same reason and those kick in several times during the charging cycle. 🤔
Maybe the word 'charger' is a bit misleading.
The classic concept is that you put a charge on a battery that is capable of re-charging. And the more powerful, the more difference there is between negative and positive, the faster the battery is 'full'. But charging your iPhone works a bit different.

It's your phone that is determining the charge. And your phone can do this at different speeds. But it does not mean that when you connect your phone to a 67 Watt 'charger' it will charge at a higher speed then it would when connected to a 20 Watt 'charger'. Still it will charge at the same speed by a 67 Watt charger as it would charge connected to a 20 Watt 'charger'. Both do charge faster then through a 15 Watt, 10 or even 5 Watt 'charger'. It's a bit like an old fashioned lamp. Your electric home netwrok may be able to deliver 5 KiloWatt, but still a 10 Watt lamp will burn at 10 Watt. The charger is able to deliver 67 Watt. But it does not 'push' this to the iPhone. The iPhone 15 Pro has its own optimum charge Wattage. And it simply does not accept more

The 'cherger' changes the current into a way that the iPhone can handle it. And the charger can do this at a maximum delivery of 5, 10, 15, 20 or 67 Watt. A 100 Watt charger could handle 5 iPhones at the same time. But one iPhone would only use a maximum of 20 Watt. (that is the iPhone 15 pro charging power when I am correct other phones handle only 15 Watt at maximum.)

These Watt rates have been figured out by Apple and they will simply not consume more than that.

To come to your electric car:

Generally speaking, most cars do not drive on iPhone batteries......

;-)

But more specific, car batteries must do different things than iPhone batteries. And as long as you don't drive a Long Black Electric Cadillac, that does a 1000 miles on a single charge, automobile drivers like to have their cars charged FAST. They cannot wait, they are used to the way gasoline works. So in this sense fast charging means real fast.
Besides the ratio between volume and surface in a car battery is completely different from the volume surface ratio in a phone battery. Thus at the same time a phone battery gets half full, to get a car battery half full it needs much more cooling. Not to mention other factors like the higher power that's needed to charge the battery etc etc. And the absolute necessity to avoid fire in a car battery.

Only drivers of a Long Black Electric Cadillac that does a 1000 miles on a single charge don't have to bother about this. Because they can go to sleep every night while their car gets charged at low speed. Just as my iPhone does every night charging at low 20 Watt while connected trough a 67 Watt charger.

Reactions: one more
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.