Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
My 450mhz Sawtooth HATES Jaguar; at least, 10.2.8. Once I update, it panics on boot. I've got a Radeon 9000, 2gb of RAM, generic DVD-R, two old spinner drives- 80gb and 100gb, hooked up to my Cinema Display with the ADC -> DVI adapter. Firmware is up to date (I run Tiger on it as well). I tried swapping video cards, swapped displays to a VGA monitor, removing and swapping RAM, moving my USB connections to the tower itself, reset NVRAM and everything else, etc. Nothing works. I took the drive out, put it in my firewire enclosure, and booted it from there and it still panics. The same drive boots fine on my 667mhz VGA TiBook, so I'm doing updates from there for now. Hopefully, some update fixes this issue. I'm trying to put together a period-correct "pro" machine.

EDIT: I applied the security update and the graphics update, and it no longer panics. I wonder which one fixed it...

Videos converted with the conversion script that @Dronecatcher put together (G3V) play perfectly fine under Jaguar and Quicktime 6.5.3.

OperaEmu works fine as well, except that I had to unzip it on my Catalina machine and move the folder to the Jaguar machine. The resource forks get lost if you unzip it within Jaguar.

Last edited:

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I appreciate this thread so much right now, now that I discovered my minis were Jaguar-capable all along.

Woudn't it be a good idea to pin all these major Mac OS releases threads? They are extremely useful for pointing people into the right direction. Especially for the lesser-known stuff like 10.0 ~ 10.2.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Added Netscape, Opera and Opera Mini.

I found another browser that works with MicroEmulator and Jaguar- UC Browser 9.2.0.311, but only the Lite version (the full version stops as it tries to link to a text messages folder). It's linked here- https://www.mobiles24.co/downloads/s/581772-111-uc_browser_920311_lite

Download the JAR and not the JAD.

I played around with it a bit, but didn't get too far into it. I know MacRumors won't load without a useragent, but you can change it to either WEB or WAP in the settings of the browser. If anyone wants to play around with it, feel free. I'm too tired tonight and need sleep.

Perhaps there's a newer, Lite version of the browser somewhere (9.5.0.449 is the latest java version of the browser, and it's three months newer than Opera Mini)...?

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I found another browser that works with MicroEmulator and Jaguar- UC Browser 9.2.0.311, but only the Lite version (the full version stops as it tries to link to a text messages folder). It's linked here- https://www.mobiles24.co/downloads/s/581772-111-uc_browser_920311_lite

Download the JAR and not the JAD.

I played around with it a bit, but didn't get too far into it. I know MacRumors won't load without a useragent, but you can change it to either WEB or WAP in the settings of the browser. If anyone wants to play around with it, feel free. I'm too tired tonight and need sleep.

Perhaps there's a newer, Lite version of the browser somewhere (9.5.0.449 is the latest java version of the browser, and it's three months newer than Opera Mini)...?

This new search-for-a-new-Java-browser-to-emulate endeavor is a great win-win not just because it broadens the range of option for Jaguar and Panther, but because people living on Symbian in 2019 will benefit as well. :D

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Well, forget that POS then...
In all fairness, the article mostly talks about the Android version, not explicitly confirming the Java version also comes with nasty surprises. Nonetheless, this instills a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Reactions: z970

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
This new search-for-a-new-Java-browser-to-emulate endeavor is a great win-win not just because it broadens the range of option for Jaguar and Panther, but because people living on Symbian in 2019 will benefit as well. :D

Pickings are very slim for j3me browsers, though. Not many out there that still work, and all of them are extremely outdated.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I see that the first version of Keynote runs on Jaguar. Does the first version of Pages run on Jaguar too?

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I'll have to try it sometime. I wonder if I installed iWork '05 under Panther or Tiger and then copied Pages 1.0 from there to Jaguar if that would work...

Well I tried the above method and...It didn’t work. Looks like Pages won’t run under Jaguar.

Reactions: Amethyst1

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
So thanks to the OSX Jaguar God (ie. @Amethyst1) I have managed to network two Macs over Firewire 800, using OSX Jaguar 10.2.8. This (admittedly niche feature) is built into Panther and onwards, but was only available to OSX Jaguar (10.2.5 onwards) through a developer beta kernel extension. I'm using FW800 (to connect a 2012 Mini and my MDD) but I'm sure this would work over FW400 too. Potentially useful feature if your Ethernet ports are non-functional or already occupied.

@Amethyst1 impressively managed to dig it out from deep within a 2003 Apple Developer Connection CD. All credit to him! Here is the 'IP over Firewire Pre-Release'.

Attachments

• iofirewireip_prerelease-zip.zip
    189.5 KB · Views: 360

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
IP over FireWire Preview Release added to first post. Compatibility info on 15" and 17" 1.5 GHz PB added to first post.

Reactions: z970 and r6mile

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
If someone has Jaguar running, can you please list (or post screenshots) of the wallpapers installed by default? I know sounds silly, but I am trying to make a folder that has just the images that came with 10.2 I think I have the default (aqua blue, solid kelp, etc) but I am getting confused on the nature/plant/abstract/cosmos/jaguar fur/etc images.

Of if someone had a zip file with the Desktop Pictures and Screensavers folders that would also be great. thanks

PS, I have a jaguar install disc, and I have a 2005 12" Powerbook with 10.5. But when I try to install jaguar on the Powerbook i cant, I assume because it originally came with 10.3 I think. Is there a workaround?

Background to all this: my first mac was a 2003 Powerbook with 10.2. I would like to make a machine that was just like my first mac (os 10.2 and all) with this 2005 Powerbook I picked up.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.