Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I managed to put a few hours into it tonight. Just started Seattle Day 1.

God damn. Heavy and sad. Intrigued to find out what this is all about.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I also finished a couple hours ago.

First 8 chapters were as good as it gets IMO, but I now understand some of the complaints regarding the ending. Although I don't agree with most of them, I do have 1 complaint. I've never been a huge fan of introducing another group of baddies at the end of a story with no backstory or anything.

That said, the game is still a solid 9/10 IMO with part 1 being an easy 10. They were never going to top part 1, but they still did a great job for about 90% of the game.

I'll be looking forward to the HBO series and the possibility of part 3 if there is a good story to be told.

Last edited:

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I also finished a couple hours ago.

First 8 chapters were as good as it gets IMO, but I now understand some of the complaints regarding the ending. Although I don't agree with most of them, I do have 1 complaint. I've never been a huge fan of introducing another group of baddies at the end of a story with no backstory or anything.

That said, the game is still a solid 9/10 IMO with part 1 being an easy 10. They were never going to top part 1, but they still did a great job for about 90% of the game.

I'll be looking forward to the HBO series and the possibility of part 3 if there is a good story to be told.
I'm looking forward to the series as well. I don't sit and play games much, but The Last of Us REALLY pulled me in, so I definitely have high hopes for the show. I want to say I heard it's expected in 2021...?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I'm looking forward to the series as well. I don't sit and play games much, but The Last of Us REALLY pulled me in, so I definitely have high hopes for the show. I want to say I heard it's expected in 2021...?

Generally HBO is about a year and a half from picking up a show to premiere. So late 2021 is probably the target, but COVID may delay it into 2022. This and House of the Dragon around the same time will definitely have me subscribing.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Generally HBO is about a year and a half from picking up a show to premiere. So late 2021 is probably the target, but COVID may delay it into 2022. This and House of the Dragon around the same time will definitely have me subscribing.
Ahh ok! Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, if the show is as well done as the games...it would be well worth the wait, in my opinion!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I find the game utterly depressing and not all what I expected after the first game. I have reached the part where you play as Abby again after the confrontation at the theatre and feel a lack of motivation to continue playing this game. The gameplay is too dull without the story moments and interactions the first game had and I am just not sure what I will be getting out of this.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm in 20 hours and still loving it, my only problem is that I can't leave a place until I've searched every single corner and sometimes you go one way thinking the story wants you to go the other way and then you advance to a next part and can't go back AND I DIDN'T GET TO SEARCH ALL DRAWERS YOU MOFODIJFOUIRHGIOUR. *breathes*

So yeah, that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: benshive

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Just finished the game yesterday and absolutely loved it. Tough to get through at times but I expected as much going into it. A very commendable sequel to the first game in my opinion.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I'm in 20 hours and still loving it, my only problem is that I can't leave a place until I've searched every single corner and sometimes you go one way thinking the story wants you to go the other way and then you advance to a next part and can't go back AND I DIDN'T GET TO SEARCH ALL DRAWERS YOU MOFODIJFOUIRHGIOUR. *breathes*

So yeah, that. :)

I've just finished and started on an NG+ run. I did miss a few things that I know of (missed a few rooms before cut scenes cut me off), and when I realised it was too late to go back. Looking at the chapter menu after finishing, I've missed a lot more than I thought. Going to need to look a lot harder than I did the first time, and I thought I was looking hard enough then.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlankStar

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Let’s take away the gameplay elements/graphics for a second, and pay respects given this is the most detailed storyline from any developer in the last five years. It’s very evident Naughty Dog worked very hard to not just immerse the gamer into the gameplay itself, but the storyline just syncs together so well how all the characters have such unique personalities.

G.O.T.Y without contest.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Finished the game and still don't understand why loads of people are/were criticizing the game. The only reason I can think of is that people didn't give
Abby
a fair chance and never got over the fact that
Joel dies
. I applaud Naughty Dog for they way they've brought us this story. I've experienced loads of different emotions during the playthrough, from laughing to getting tears in my eyes, from empathy to disgust and from feeling proud to feeling WTF did "I" just do. Looking forward to the PS5-remaster ;-)

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
Finished the game today. I see where the criticism is coming from. However, I'm glad I went into the game without having knowledge on any of the spoilers. There were definitely shocking moments that threw my emotions all over the place. But the final message that the game is trying to convey makes sense and is well formulated. To me, the story is more understood by a more mature audience.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Finished the game today. I see where the criticism is coming from. However, I'm glad I went into the game without having knowledge on any of the spoilers. There were definitely shocking moments that threw my emotions all over the place. But the final message that the game is trying to convey makes sense and is well formulated. To me, the story is more understood by a more mature audience.

For those who haven’t played the first ‘Last of us’, won’t have as deep as an emotional draw, because they have to understand the character development from the side of Elle and Joel leading into the second rendition. For those who played both, they know exactly what I’m referring to right now without divulging any specifics.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I finished the game on the weekend, and have to agree with the last posts here: fantastic game, which has some very smart things to say. I can see some good reasons why someone wouldn't want to play and/or finish the game, though.

My only big gripe with the game is that due to the structure of the plot the game falls apart into two barely connected parts. I mean, the second half certainly achieves its goal, but it interrupts the flow of the story.
To me, the story is more understood by a more mature audience.
Unfortunately, the loud part of the "gamer" manbabies is anything but mature.

• Haha

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I finally beat the game :)

I will say it would have been a much much better game if the 2nd part was the first part. Also if you can then chose who lives and dies. So it ends more like the first one. Does Joel kill the doctors or not? I defiantly killed them :)in the 1st game

also not to knock this game but it has no replay value and is super linear. That being said it’s 25 hours of edge of your seat action. Like the dog biting my face off!!! Traumatic. First time you brutally kill a dog... damn...

I didn’t mind Abby but the way she is introduced and then what she does right away is unforgivable. She could cure cancer and that out break and I still wouldn’t like her. Does she have her reason. Yes. Do I hate her because she is a female and I have to play as her. No, they just should have made her story the first part of the game. Then let her (you) decide what happens in the blizzard. (Maybe multiple endings based on decisions during the game). I doubt we will get part 3

things I hear people complain about
Ellie being gay. First game shows it. She like kisses Dina 3 times. And they snuggle 2x..... like honestly barely noticed.

Dina is Mexican and Jewish? Her baby daddy is Asian.... Abbys friends are also diverse...... like it’s the USA not Norway or Alaska. You will run into Brown people and gay people. I guess the game has a trans character. I didnt notice it.

The main character of part 1 is Ellie and they let you play as her towards the end of the game. This time around they did the same switch. Difference is Ellie grows along side you and her first kill is emotional.You play as Ellie to save Joel. You play as Abby to try to not hate Abby and see things from her eyes. It just didn’t work as well.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Ok, so it's no secret that The Last of Us has a great soundtrack. Both games. But I decided to pull up the album for Part 2 and actually sit and listen to the whole thing. It was nice to just focus on the music itself without the game.

I have to say...WOW. I loved it in the game already, but listening to it on it's own was even better! Gustavo Santaolalla NAILED it. Again!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I played the game with my headset just because of the nice soundtrack... It's a masterpiece.
It's definitely one of those aspects of the game that I think everyone can agree was great, even if they didn't like the game itself. Downloaded the album! I could listen to this thing all day! I'll have to look back at it to make sure I have the title correct, but "Unbroken" in particular (I'm thinking of the song that was playing during the opening credits, if "Unbroken" isn't the title) is towards the top of my list.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Given the reviews I decided not to pay $60 and just wait to borrow the disc from a friend. Well he’s done and has offered it to me but I’m in no hurry to play it.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I came across a YouTube playlist of the "unreleased" soundtrack. Man, I wish it would be put on an album. I'd download it in a heartbeat. (And who knows, maybe that will happen eventually, since the first game had the original album and also has a "volume 2" album).

If you search for it, it is a playlist of something like 30-33 videos. One that has stuck out to me in particular is the video titled "Patrol". There is one segment in there in particular which was named "Searching the Houses". The track is a little under a minute and a half long, (wish it was longer)! I could easily sit and listen to it on repeat all day.

The music for this game is fantastic and I LOVE the album, but some of these unreleased tracks...WOW!

Reactions: Joshel

Joshel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
I came across a YouTube playlist of the "unreleased" soundtrack. Man, I wish it would be put on an album. I'd download it in a heartbeat. (And who knows, maybe that will happen eventually, since the first game had the original album and also has a "volume 2" album).

If you search for it, it is a playlist of something like 30-33 videos. One that has stuck out to me in particular is the video titled "Patrol". There is one segment in there in particular which was named "Searching the Houses". The track is a little under a minute and a half long, (wish it was longer)! I could easily sit and listen to it on repeat all day.

The music for this game is fantastic and I LOVE the album, but some of these unreleased tracks...WOW!
I've found the "Searching the Houses" part. It's quite relaxing, but too short. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I've found the "Searching the Houses" part. It's quite relaxing, but too short. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah that's my only complaint about it! Too short! When I first saw the video, I just kept clicking back to it!

It goes without saying, but Gustavo is a genius! Like I said before, I really do hope we get a soundtrack "volume 2" for this game!

Reactions: Joshel

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Think there will be a TLoU3? Maybe different characters but the same world/setting?

the game won't be the same if it doesn't have Ellie. there really shouldn't have been a part 2.... and if they had it then it should have been a different cast. I think the reason people hate this game so much is because of the cast

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.