Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss Apple's rumored plan to refresh the entire AirPods lineup with a series of new models.

The fourth-generation AirPods will reportedly feature a new design with a better fit, improved sound quality, and an updated charging case with a USB-C port. For the first time ever, Apple is also apparently planning to offer a higher-end version of the AirPods with active noise cancelation and a speaker in the charging case to play a sound for easy location via Find My.

The second-generation AirPods Max are expected to be a minor refresh, simply swapping the Lightning port of the current model for USB-C and adding Bluetooth 5.3 support. New color options are also a possibility, but it looks like Apple's most premium audio device will continue to miss out on the H2 chip, Adaptive Audio, improved Active Noise Cancellation, skin-detect sensors, sweat and water resistance, the ultra wideband chip, Precision Finding, and support for additional charging methods.

Both the fourth-generation AirPods and the second-generation AirPods Max are expected to launch in late 2024. Further in the future, Apple is expected to launch the third-generation AirPods Pro with an updated design that is focused on improved comfort and a faster chip.

The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about Apple's upcoming iPad Air models, which are expected to be announced in just a matter of weeks.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the podcast, and let us know what subjects and guests you would like to se... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Apple's Four Upcoming AirPods Models

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Will be interesting to see which chips are deployed in upcoming audio accessories from Apple.

On another note… i sure hope they update the case design so that they are not super slippy. I really dislike the white shiny plastic. I know its trademark Apple… but that they are only offered in white and no textured or matte option in black is ☹️

Airpod Pro in a matte black or midnight color would be so good.

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
I have the AirPods Pro 2nd Gen, and I'm okay with it. I rather get the Beats Studio Pro or Sony W5 headphones for longer battery life. As much I like the AirPods Pro. I don't want to lose them. I see people lose them all the times. All I do is shake my head.

Reactions: icanhazmac

Polinsky

Suspended
Oct 7, 2023
As much I like the AirPods Pro. I don't want to lose them. I see people lose them all the times. All I do is shake my head.
I certainly have never had one accidentally slip out of my ear. And I've never seen anyone else lose them. I was just in the market and no one lost their APP.
I'm curious as to know how you "see people lose them all the time"?

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I really don’t understand the neglect for AirPods Max when Apple pushes Spatial Audio so hard.

context: when Spatial Audio first came out, I (along with many others) thought it was a farce, a cheap attempt at creating something new for the sake of being new. recently, I got extremely into a “new” album (SOS by SZA if anyone’s curious), and I decided to take the Atmos mix for a spin on my newly-positioned bedroom HomePods (went from both in one corner -> each positioned in a different corner of my room).

hoooooly sh*t, the difference Atmos makes now that mixing engineers know what to do with it is incredible. versus a stereo mix, it gives so much more—surprise!—space to the mix, allowing for so many intricate details and elements that simply weren’t easy to properly mix in stereo.

AirPods Max are the perfect vector for Spatial Audio, and yet, they get the short end of the stick on all recent AirPods innovations. H2, Ultra Wideband, skin-detect sensors, Adaptive Audio, improved ANC…(dust and water resistance I can understand a little more, not many people use over-ear headphones for workouts, but can it really be that hard?)

it boils down to this: is the components cost truly already so high that Apple thinks they can’t integrate these features without raising the price beyond its already somewhat-absurd $549 price point? I can’t imagine that. perhaps they feel they’ve 2013 Mac Pro’d themselves yet again: made a terribly overpriced product that they don’t know how to innovate further on. but that seems…incredibly odd to me when they are undeniably the market leaders in wireless earbuds [source, in case anyone wants to call BS] and have endless cash flow.

I’m confused. 🤷

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Rumors and “That said, Gurman adds that Apple's plans could "possibly" change between now and when the ‌AirPods Max‌ are released”.
Yes, but it’s the current state of rumors/leaks, so that’s what gets repeated in the articles. They don’t claim an unmovable fact about the release. We are on a rumors site here.

Reactions: arkitect

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I am not buying it! What reason would Apple have not to replace the H1 chip with the H2? It would be stupid on so many levels.
I do not trust Mr Burmans predictions and especially this one. They can't let the Pros distance themselves even further from the Max's which price is more than twice the Pros. Doesn't make business sense and would create a nightmare for marketing department.
This is valid for a lot of what is expected of the Pro's as well like Adaptive Audio, improved NC etc etc

Reactions: decypher44

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
I certainly have never had one accidentally slip out of my ear. And I've never seen anyone else lose them. I was just in the market and no one lost their APP.
Because I watch them out of observation and see the AirPods fall out of their ears. There have been times where I even picked it up and go catch them and let them know. Sometimes, I will wave to get their attention to let them know that the AirPods fell out their ears. There will be time I will see one of the AirPods on the ground or floor that had been stepped on or crushed by a heavy equipment and what not. Actually, the main reason why I never bought the original AirPods design til the AirPods Pro came out. I like the Pro version better because of the design. I have the AirPods Pro 2 Gen and I like it way better than the original AirPods.

Reactions: RVanB

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I am not buying it! What reason would Apple have not to replace the H1 chip with the H2? It would be stupid on so many levels.
I do not trust Mr Burmans predictions and especially this one. They can't let the Pros distance themselves even further from the Max's which price is more than twice the Pros. Doesn't make business sense and would create a nightmare for marketing department.
This is valid for a lot of what is expected of the Pro's as well like Adaptive Audio, improved NC etc etc
Exactly, they need more of a selling point than USB-C and more colors after 4 years. That’s not even really worth an announcement. I‘m guessing the H2 chip will be the only real upgrade to them so they don’t want to play the card too early and have people disappointed. Now at least people will be pleasantly surprised when it includes it.

Reactions: arkitect

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I can speak only for myself, but my AirPods Pro are *constantly* falling out of my ears. From the moment I put them in, they start slipping out. I’ve even tried alternative memory foam tips and they still fall out. I’m guessing the difference in our experience has to do with ear shape, but it’s a super-annoying problem if it affects you.

Reactions: Zorori

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
First thing Apple should do is stop selling non-MagSafe cases. The line-up should simply be:
AirPods
AirPods Plus
AirPods Pro
AirPods Max

Let’s not complicate this.

Surely there is no chance AirPods Max (2nd generation) come with a 5 1/2 year old H1 chip.

And I expect all non-Max models to get a 15%+ battery improvement.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t understand why they’re shortchanging the AirPods Max with such a weak update. Unless the true next generation AirPod Max model won’t be ready until September 2025 and Apple was concerned that sales would slide this holiday season so they “updated” it with USB-C. No H2 chip is really despicable if true.

Last edited:

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
Airpods with low latency, that would be a big thing for all audio producers.
i know bluetooth is not ideal but apple is the company which can provide new protocols based on orher wireless technologies.

Reactions: Rodney Williams

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
While it's possible that they will do such a minor update on the AirPods Max I am finding it extremely hard to believe.

After a four year gap they do nothing but new color ways and a USB-C connector? For a very high price point product they make good margin on that won't see another upgrade for at least several more years?

Seems very unlikely.

Reactions: Razorpit

AppleFanBoyCAN

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
AirPods Max are an absolute joy! I was hesitant buying them given their high price point, but once I got them, I only regretted not buying them before. I'm excited for an updated model and I highly doubt it won't include all of the AirPods Pro's current features. That's very unlikely.

Reactions: citysnaps

bluedesert

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2020
Miami Beach
I’ve been waiting for an updated Powerbeats Pro with USB-C, a better case, and some other enhancements. I know they probably won’t come out with them which is a shame since that hook system is the best in the market.

wave84

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
It's hard for me to understand why it takes them so long to offer a USB-C version of the regular Airpods. I was in the market for a pair now, but simply ended up buying something else. I have an iPhone 15 Pro, so really didn't want to get the old Lightning ones, and also didn't want to pay for the Airpods Pro (which are really expensive in my country).

Same with the keyboard and mouse, why is it taking them years and years to change the ports? USB-C versions for all accessories should have been available the instant they released the new macs / iphones with USB-C ports.

Reactions: boswald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.