Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
It's hard for me to understand why it takes them so long to offer a USB-C version of the regular Airpods. I was in the market for a pair now, but simply ended up buying something else. I have an iPhone 15 Pro, so really didn't want to get the old Lightning ones, and also didn't want to pay for the Airpods Pro (which are really expensive in my country).

Same with the keyboard and mouse, why is it taking them years and years to change the ports? USB-C versions for all accessories should have been available the instant they released the new macs / iphones with USB-C ports.
It's because they have to milk lightning for as long as possible. Additionally switching the connectors is not as simple as jamming a new part into the existing model. They have to re-do the moldings, PCBs and other parts, it is extremely expensive and time consuming to swap a connector out.

If Apple had not been so stubborn & greedy though they would have switched to USB-C several years ago. Other than being 1mm thinner lightning has pretty much zero advantages of USB-C and tons of disadvantages.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
It's because they have to milk lightning for as long as possible. Additionally switching the connectors is not as simple as jamming a new part into the existing model. They have to re-do the moldings, PCBs and other parts, it is extremely expensive and time consuming to swap a connector out.

If Apple had not been so stubborn & greedy though they would have switched to USB-C several years ago. Other than being 1mm thinner lightning has pretty much zero advantages of USB-C and tons of disadvantages.
I doubt its greed etc... basically logistics of changing over and probably development time for certain devices... they are just not a priority.

Sometimes their choices are just downright weird... like dropping MagSafe, then bringing it back...

There's nothing wrong with lightning... except for the part more likely to break being on the device side 😂

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I have the AirPods Pro 2nd Gen, and I'm okay with it. I rather get the Beats Studio Pro or Sony W5 headphones for longer battery life. As much I like the AirPods Pro. I don't want to lose them. I see people lose them all the times. All I do is shake my head.
Get different tips. I use Comply’s foam tips, they stay in beautifully

Reactions: boswald

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I really don’t understand the neglect for AirPods Max when Apple pushes Spatial Audio so hard.

context: when Spatial Audio first came out, I (along with many others) thought it was a farce, a cheap attempt at creating something new for the sake of being new. recently, I got extremely into a “new” album (SOS by SZA if anyone’s curious), and I decided to take the Atmos mix for a spin on my newly-positioned bedroom HomePods (went from both in one corner -> each positioned in a different corner of my room).

hoooooly sh*t, the difference Atmos makes now that mixing engineers know what to do with it is incredible. versus a stereo mix, it gives so much more—surprise!—space to the mix, allowing for so many intricate details and elements that simply weren’t easy to properly mix in stereo.

AirPods Max are the perfect vector for Spatial Audio, and yet, they get the short end of the stick on all recent AirPods innovations. H2, Ultra Wideband, skin-detect sensors, Adaptive Audio, improved ANC…(dust and water resistance I can understand a little more, not many people use over-ear headphones for workouts, but can it really be that hard?)

it boils down to this: is the components cost truly already so high that Apple thinks they can’t integrate these features without raising the price beyond its already somewhat-absurd $549 price point? I can’t imagine that. perhaps they feel they’ve 2013 Mac Pro’d themselves yet again: made a terribly overpriced product that they don’t know how to innovate further on. but that seems…incredibly odd to me when they are undeniably the market leaders in wireless earbuds [source, in case anyone wants to call BS] and have endless cash flow.

I’m confused. 🤷
SOS>>>

• Love
Reactions: phenste

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
AirPods Max being updated for the first time in four years and not getting the new chip that just the AirPods Pro have would be absolutely ridiculous
Agreed; and the fact alone that it's been 4 YEARS since they've been updated when the regular and Pro AirPods have been updated much more frequently

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get the new APM so I can finally get rid of Lightning for accessories that aren't my magic keyboard and mouse

Reactions: Ghost31

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
Crazy if they don't do a bigger upgrade than that for the AirPods Max. They low-key should've switched from stainless steel to titanium because they are so heavy after a while...

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
The AirPods Max...I know it sounds awesome based on what I've heard and read online via several social media platforms. But from a design standpoint, I don't like it. It looks fragile. I could be wrong. I never took the time to look at the AirPods Max in the Apple Store. I may have to take the time to check it out again. I like the Beats Pro design better because it still has that iconic look. Just slightly updated. I've been reading up on various tech specs on both headphones. I know they're both are outstanding headphones. Beats Pro are just as good as the Max for nearly half of the price. I'm about the bang for my bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.