Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Do not care for Touch ID nor its placement. Love Face ID on my iPhone and don’t understand why it was not included in the mini 6.

Tjhe only thing annoying about FaceID is (1) masks (FaceID sucks fior IDing if you are wearing a mask) and (2) if it's on a desk, you can't use it to unlock, you have to use the code, since FaceID's scan range is not great. Not a problem with TouchID.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaLynn

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tjhe only thing annoying about FaceID is (1) masks (FaceID sucks fior IDing if you are wearing a mask) and (2) if it's on a desk, you can't use it to unlock, you have to use the code, since FaceID's scan range is nit grest. Not a problem with TouchID.
Just pull your mask down briefly. Face ID's scanning distance is further than your arm can reach which means that if you can touch your iPad you can unlock with Face ID.

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sure it's been mentioned ad nauseam: add my name to the list - minimum storage should be 128 Gb.

I'm fine with touch ID here. For what I use the mini for ( mainly reading downloaded books ) this device is virtually perfect for me.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Agree on 128GB base model. I don’t like to get even close to 80%. I think 20GB free is full.

My mini 5 is cramped with 3GB memory. I think 6 is sensible.

support wireless charging.

I only had new IPP 11” for two days but Face ID was a pain to use. The angel it needs, worse in landscape mode. Hello on Surface Laptop is easy to use as are iPhones

If they cut thickness and weight that would be nice.

I’ve had a couple of 7 and 8” tablets over the years, and Surface as well as old 10” iPad - the mini is great device and design, but a few tweaks would be nice.

I was appalled to see still came in 64GB / left over stock to unload on us?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just pull your mask down briefly. Face ID's scanning distance is further than your arm can reach which means that if you can touch your iPad you can unlock with Face ID.

I don't mean range, as in distance, I mean range as in angle.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
On the surface, this was the Mini I'd been waiting for for years. Bought the Pencil2 last year already in anticipation. But it's also the first one that, when I went to drop 80 more dollars than the last one on it, turned out to have more issues (already listed in this thread) than my last 5 minis. I'm sitting on this mini5 for now.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
On the surface, this was the Mini I'd been waiting for for years. Bought the Pencil2 last year already in anticipation. But it's also the first one that, when I went to drop 80 more dollars than the last one on it, turned out to have more issues (already listed in this thread) than my last 5 minis. I'm sitting on this mini5 for now.

Same.
Once I realized it was a lateral move (at best) from my Mini 5, I was out.

I’ll ride my 5 until the 7

Reactions: Digitalguy

kltmom

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
I was SO anticipating this year's mini. It was a day one purchase for me. But after using it for about a month or two, I ended up selling it. The main reason is the GUI and how it is not optimized for the screen size. I couldn't stand all the extra space around the apps on the screen, and how the apps at the bottom would become miniscule, etc. etc. I also detest Touch ID. I get that others love it and it works for them, fine, but for me personally Touch ID has never been reliable. I live in the Midwest where it's cold most of the year, and constantly have dry hands. Between constant handwashing, use of hand sanitizer, and use of hand lotion, Touch ID doesn't work for me, but Face ID always does.

I also wish it had ProMotion and better/higher storage tiers. I have the 12.9 and 11 iPad Pros --basically I wish they'd come out with an iPad Pro mini, and I'd gladly pay the higher price for it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I also wish it had ProMotion and better/higher storage tiers.

I agree

I hope they consider shortening the normal cycle this time and getting to that sooner rather than later.

They changed the body to "look" like a next gen, higher end, Mini -- but it really isn't one.

Ryatzu

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Not sure if i would like oled in its current state.
What i do miss is face id.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Not bothered about OLED or Mini-LED on such a small screen. Face ID is far superior to touch ID for me so would like to see this added in as another way to authenticate or log in.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
As an owner of an M1 11 Pro - I'm biased.

For me? 120hz, 128GB base storage, and Face ID - and I'd have been sold. Imo, it should have had those for the cost.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Do not care for Touch ID nor its placement. Love Face ID on my iPhone and don’t understand why it was not included in the mini 6.
I prefer Face ID, although as far as Touch ID implementation goes I think the Air 4 and Mini 6 both do a good job. Touch ID on Samsung devices have been hit or miss, but the A14 and A15 chips get it done quickly.

In future I would love Apple’s top tier and mid tier iPads to have both forms of biometric authentication, so all bases are covered.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Not sure if i would like oled in its current state.
What i do miss is face id.
OLED in its current state is better than ever and if you're talking about the iPhone 13 Pro display it's better than any miniLED display currently out in the computer world and even OLED TV's. If Apple could make bigger OLED panels that would be killer.

iPhone 13 Pro = OLED w/2M contrast, 1200 nits, and 2.4ms response time only OLED can provide which makes ProMotion buttery smooth.
IPP 12.9" 2021 = miniLED w/1M contrast, 1600 nits, and a terrible 45ms response making ProMotion almost a requirement to make up for it and isn't even in the same class as smoothness vs the 13 Pro. IPP ProMotion panels regardless of size are blurry compared to the new 13 Pro models. (IPP 11" has a 27ms response time btw)

Comparing these two, the only "benefit" of miniLED is the 400 extra nits which may or may not even be used so I'll take the much better and always in use contrast and response time vs the occasional 400 nit bump.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I don’t mind the camera bump but then again I always use a case. Camera bump = more smartfolio sales, I suppose.

it’s an improvement from the iPhone 6 style camera bump, which was an eyesore IMO.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I literally would not change anything about the Mini 6 except to switch the magnets for the pencil to the other side. I’m left-handed, so I either use my iPad Mini upside down (but then the buttons can accidentally be pressed) or else reach across my screen for the pencil with my left hand.

I don’t care about the jelly-scrolling. It’s a complete non-issue for anything I do with the Mini. (Mostly reading in portrait and watching tv shows in landscape.)

This is the first iPad I’ve had cellular on. I love being able to take it anywhere and still have internet.

I also love being able to swap the Pencil with my 12.9” iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.