Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
After having this since before Xmas I have decided I don’t find anything wrong with it. I hate Face ID so am please it does not have it and I always have problems with the PWM of the oled screens, they give me a headache.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I returned the Mini this morning. It's an awesome device. No question. But the screen isn't bright enough for my eyes. The text is too small for me in Safari and some other 3rd party apps. I purchased a refurbished 11" iPad Pro instead with cellular to replace my 10.5" iPad Pro. (It was only $110 more than the cellular Mini.)

Guapa2

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
I returned the Mini this morning. It's an awesome device. No question. But the screen isn't bright enough for my eyes. The text is too small for me in Safari and some other 3rd party apps. I purchased a refurbished 11" iPad Pro instead with cellular to replace my 10.5" iPad Pro. (It was only $110 more than the cellular Mini.)

This is what I did.Just wasn't impressed enough for the money of the mini 6.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm amazed how this iPad is still out of stock in the Apple Stores around LA, to this day. Either not enough was made or it's really popular.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Just bought mine and love it, but a few hundred more nits of available brightness would be so nice. I plan on using this thing outside on the patio when the weather warms up.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I am happy with the mini but would definitely change iOS, it’s just not optimised for this tablet.
The messages app layout is terrible in portrait if you have messages pinned.
Totally agree with you, iPadOS needs to be improved for this iPad.

Btw, we have the same gadgets in our signature ?

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Just returned mine.

I’m intentionally leaving out Mini LED, ProMotion, Face ID and 4 speakers since that’s a different class of iPad.

#1 iPadOS is horrific on it. Would be better to put vanilla iOS on that class of device. For those who say there are few differences between iOS and iPadOS, iPad mini really demonstrates how different it is from a usability point of view

#2 Placement of the volume buttons. Makes it hard to do screenshots in portrait mode, hard to turn device off, etc.

#3 This is really just a gut feeling more than anything else, but the price. It’s by far the cheapest A15 device, buT with 64gb of storage it feels $50 too expensive for what it is. For $399 for 64gb, id probably have kept it as a nice reading device, but I’m more apt to wait for a $899 XDR 11” iPad Pro whenever that comes out as my small iPad. Again, totally a visceral gut opinion on its value

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
Since my previous comments about how I am happy with this mini, I have since started using it for streaming video and I have noticed the battery takes a massive hit.
It is fine in day to day general use but any video kills it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
#1 iPadOS is horrific on it. Would be better to put vanilla iOS on that class of device. For those who say there are few differences between iOS and iPadOS, iPad mini really demonstrates how different it is from a usability point of view
My biggest issue with the Mini is the text size. Had they simply put iOS on it and given us the option to use display zoom like the iPhone it would have solved most of my gripes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.