Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cybermook

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
I binge-watched the whole series, which started off great but then drifted into feminist fantasyland. The production values are first rate as are the performances, but story line eventually ranges between bad and awful. It is obviously framed by a "progressive" viewpoint, but it is so overdone, creating its own stereotypes that it doesn't resonate. All males are evil, ruthless, power-hungry individual or wusses and losers. The "powerful female leads" are conflicted but ultimately virtuous. When it began I thought it was nice that for a change to see people working together without identity badges, but that disappears as minorities in privileged media positions (and actually overrepresented) are deemed to be victims of "institutional racism," which even this ideologically-laden vehicle fails to provide any evidence for apart from fairly innocuous verbal faux pas.

Assumptions are also ridiculous. The news division is conflated with the entire network I can't name one host on a current network morning show and I doubt many others can either. Nevertheless we are supposed to believe that the main host (albeit played very well by Jennifer Aniston) is a sort of a renown, all-powerful, and influential individual that can determine the fate of the organization, or even just the news division. By the third season all pretense of "professional journalism" goes down the drain as their abortion position becomes bedrock gospel for all. Whatever your issue-position may be on salient issues, you have to be really dense not to recognize propaganda for what it is.

Given all the money that went into this, the first rate production values and cast, it could have been a great show with a more sophisticated, nuanced script. Instead it comes across as a freshman womens studies comic book that develops into an ideological sledge hammer. I'm sorry I wasted so much time on it. There's a lot to be said for skimming.

Reactions: HMI and gigatoaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.