Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I’m only two episodes but so far I think it’s great!! What does everyone else think? I especially like watching Melissa George since her great performance in The Slap!

Reactions: hodad66

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
First 2 episodes have been intriguing, but I wouldn't say I'm "bought in" yet. I still need to find out why these people are running and see if I can get invested in that story. The show has a pretty tunnel visioned plot line right now and it's one that will get old fast if it doesn't develop more.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Ya episode 3 was kind of a snoozefest, and I’m still looking for a reason to actually hope for this family to survive.

so far the critics are right.

Last edited:

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Enjoying it so far, but like said it the story needs to develop a lot more from here on in. Stunning picture quality as well.

I was all ready to watch episode 4 and then remembered its not till Friday.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Having seen the Harrison Ford film of the book years ago, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s come as a pleasant surprise. I notice it’s created by Neil Cross, a writer who has written a couple of Doctor Who episodes in the past. Really enjoying it. A great cast and a really gripping a story. loving some of the music that pops up like The Fall & Morrissey.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Two episodes in so far and the story has me hooked. I’m just as curious as the daughter to find out what skeletons in the closet father has!

I’m so intrigued by the story that I’m thinking of reading the novel or maybe seeing the film adaptation with Harrison Ford.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Well, episode 4 really upped the game a lot - tense and great performances by all. Still loving it especially Melissa George in this episode.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
It’s a tv show spread out over 7/8 episodes to tell a story. If you’re looking for instant thrills I recommend a popcorn film instead. ‘Slow’ is an opinion of the impatient.
After 4 hr long episodes, what exactly has developed plot wise that wasn't introduced in episode 1? There has been no substantial plot progression imo.

I would be curious to what you feel has developed...

Believe it or not, tv shows can suffer from bad writing.

Reactions: dmylrea and tkermit

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
give me a break

I know a good tv show from a bad one. After 4 hr long episodes, what exactly has developed plot wise that wasn't introduced in episode 1?

Believe it or not, tv shows can suffer from bad writing.
Well. I don’t want to spoil the show for anyone reading this thread but between us: where were the family during episode 1? Where are they now? Tense desert scenes, tense Mexican hideout of episode 4, the character arches, male/female role reversal. The list goes on.
Lets agree to disagree - you don’t have to watch it - you might enjoy Mortal Kombat more perhaps? If you think M Coast is slow - let’s hope you haven’t watched Servant! ? I’ll keep enjoying the show!

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
I'm enjoying it, I wouldn't say its slow paced at all. I'm intrigued to find out where the story goes, I guess the story hasn't evolved much yet but there is enough going on in each episode to keep me wanting more.

I like that the series doesn't hit in one go, gives me time to catch up on other things.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I had high hopes after the first episode but it turned out to be all style, no substance. Episode 4 was cringeworthy, to be honest, but at least it had some good music in it. Love Julia Holter!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
We’re enjoying the show too. As some said, I recall the Mosquito Coast movie from many years ago, and I really liked the nod to that movie in the opening scene of episode 1 when the lead character Allie is creating the ice machine. IF you haven’t seen the original Mosquito Coast move with Harrison Ford, this is one of the main plot lines from that movie. So, it was a nice touch.

But, the bigger touch point is that the lead character in this series, Justin Theroux is actually the SON of the writer Paul Theroux who WROTE the novel that was the foundation for the Mosquito Coast movie!.. okay, MIND blown.

Reactions: Alwis and ledzep1

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This is becoming one of those shows where I'll finish the season in hopes that the last 2 episodes are really good and set the show off on a good course, but at the moment this is a dud. I'm still waiting for a coherent plot line and a reason to care whether these people live or die.

The show is beautifully shot, but it's missing substance.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I have to agree a bit.. I think the show IS trying to be just a bit too esoteric and it risks losing a larger audience because of it. But, hopefully, no spoiler alert but the primary plot developments are that A) we’re sort of led to think that Allie is on the lam for something, probably gov’t related and that is why he’s tried to airgap his and his family’s life for many years and B) his wife, who seems to come from some wealth or status, went along with him for love and family, but C) it was already beginning to come clear by episode 2 that maybe it’s NOT Allie and more his wife that is the culprit or possible criminal? But, your’e right.. this needs to start to develop In more interest soon or it’ll lose what audience it does have.

re: the last episode.. what was interesting in the after action tailer, they apparently ran into COVID right about that time and it was clear that they were trying to continue to shoot, albeit very separate from others and such so many that is why it was more landscape and scenery than character dynamics.

GrampaJiiji

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2018
Overlooking The Bay
OK, I'm totally confused.
I thought "The glass sandwich" was the title of the book that the creepy hitman was writing, now it's the title of the final episode???
I think this whole story could have been condensed from a tortuous seven episodes into an hour of entertainment.
JMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: dmylrea

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I have to agree a bit.. I think the show IS trying to be just a bit too esoteric and it risks losing a larger audience because of it. But, hopefully, no spoiler alert but the primary plot developments are that A) we’re sort of led to think that Allie is on the lam for something, probably gov’t related and that is why he’s tried to airgap his and his family’s life for many years and B) his wife, who seems to come from some wealth or status, went along with him for love and family, but C) it was already beginning to come clear by episode 2 that maybe it’s NOT Allie and more his wife that is the culprit or possible criminal? But, your’e right.. this needs to start to develop In more interest soon or it’ll lose what audience it does have.

re: the last episode.. what was interesting in the after action tailer, they apparently ran into COVID right about that time and it was clear that they were trying to continue to shoot, albeit very separate from others and such so many that is why it was more landscape and scenery than character dynamics.

Really? I don’t believe it was clear at all part from the one shot of someone wearing a mask. I think you’re jumping to conclusions to satisfy your dissatisfaction. To me it looks like any other multi season slow burning show…now we wait to see how it continues. The characters have developed individually, as a family and in regards to the plot.
The finale was great. Very tense, especially the final jail scene. (Very creative i might add). It’s a family on the run - the fact the outwit and outpace their chaser/chasers is what keeps it fresh. Every episode was like a mini action drama. Roll on Season 2!

Reactions: mrsmith1

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I understand that for the show to continue, they need to keep running and getting out of situations... but it's feeling significantly contrived at this point ... the far-fetched escape in the season one finale reeked of Burn Notice or the A-Team.

Where did Allie get $15K for the boat? I was under the impression when Chuy left them at the bus stop (end fo Bus Stop episode), that he drove off with their money.

GrampaJiiji

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2018
Overlooking The Bay
9min 15sec into episode 5, the title of the novel being typed by Bill is shown, "The Glass Sandwich" by William Lee.
When asked by the cartel boss woman how the novel is coming along, Bill replies,"Well, I'll reach my dad...he's deaf...so...

I wonder if this snippet has any relation to the slow plot.

Last edited:

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I enjoyed the season but its a little bit frustrating for me that we still haven't found out what the mom/dad did in the past that is making them live like they currently are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.