Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
I have wanted an iPad Mini for some time. It seemed the perfect form factor for reading in bed, one of my favorite uses of an iPad. But I didn't buy one, because I made the mistake of listening to the folks in this forum complaining bitterly about the dreaded Jelly Scroll problem, or loudly proclaiming that they would never buy a Mini until Apple came to its senses and corrected it. What finally got me was a 20% off sale on Amazon, but even then I was dubious and ready to send it back.

Jelly Scrollers, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. I read in portrait orientation, scrolling back and forth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. It functions perfectly, as does the rest of the 6th generation iPad Mini. I'm delighted I bought it, and only wish I'd done so earlier.

Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have wanted an iPad Mini for some time. It seemed the perfect form factor for reading in bed, one of my favorite uses of an iPad. But I didn't buy one, because I made the mistake of listening to the folks in this forum complaining bitterly about the dreaded Jelly Scroll problem, or loudly proclaiming that they would never buy a Mini until Apple came to its senses and corrected it. What finally got me was a 20% off sale on Amazon, but even then I was dubious and ready to send it back.

Jelly Scrollers, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. I read in portrait orientation, scrolling back and forth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. It functions perfectly, as does the rest of the 6th generation iPad Mini. I'm delighted I bought it, and only wish I'd done so earlier.

Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.
I agree whole heartily with your moral/advice, and I like your post as a whole, but using “myth” in your title strongly implies that your experience is the overruling reality. Other people’s experiences are just as legitimate because experience is subjective. And there seems to be evidence that the effect objectively exists, though that doesn’t mean everyone will necessarily experience it, as we can see from your example. (Just like how people notice Promotion to varying degrees, some not at all.)
So I would just change that title, unless it was your intention to start controversy.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
This is a bit like someone saying a high-pitched sound is a myth because they can't hear it.

Anyway, if you do not notice the jelly-scrolling you are lucky - I suggest do not go looking for it, because once you see it, it can be difficult to unsee it.

I absolutely agree with "check it out for yourself."

Last edited:

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009

here you go

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
It certainly is there, it is much more noticeable when viewing text in something like safari, but how it affects a person varies. There is also a thread about pwm on iPhones which affect people differently so you shouldn't discredit people such as myself who have noticed the jelly scrolling in the mini. I know I have always said my experience, and that if one wants to know if it will bother them first just stop by a store and see in person if it will bother them before spending hundreds and possibly dealing with returns.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I have to agree with the OP. “ jelly scrolling” comes up so often it’s like the boy who cried wolf.
“Stuttering” is another biggie. Posting on it today. Geez, went back to check it out on my 14 PM, nothing.
Not one complaint like these things have I experience in every day usage on MacOS, iOS, iPadOS.
After 35 years you’d think I would have encountered on of these.
That said, maybe the problems are eyesight issues not software/hardware issues.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This is exactly true. You have a bunch of people here trying to look at everything Apple does with negativity. If I believed all the negativity about the M2 MacBook Air overheating and running slowly, I would’ve never bought it. It’s an outstanding computer. It’s the same thing with any other Apple product. If you’re worried, you have two weeks to return it. Don’t depend on someone else’s negativity to influence your purchase decision.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
Well no one talked about jelly scrolling for previous iPads or maybe there was "jelly scrolling" but it wasn't that bad. But if so many people notice it on the new iPad mini and made comments about, then it is definitely a problem. Yes, all LCD displays have this side effect, but the one on the iPad mini is more noticeable. The problem here is, Apple is using a cheaper display to compensate for the new design and to reduce costs. If you don't mind it, then keep using it, no one is stopping you. But it is apparent for some people including me.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
here you go

OP uses the word “myth” which delegitimises their claim, should have replaced “myth” with “personal experience” which would be more accurate.

Moral of the story is that either OP is scrolling really slowly while reading which would minimise the jelly-scrolling effect, either has poor eyesight due to age or otherwise or simply is suffering from cognitive acceptance to justify the purchase.

Even Apple confirmed it placed the particular component in the opposite direction compared to prior iPad mini’s and it’s proven by the experiment you listed and by personal observation.

Listen I liked everything about the mini 6 and purchased it Day 01, but the moment I observed it, what a deal breaker for me I had to return it. Got the 11” iPad Pro and no regrets but really liked the compact size of the mini 6. Oh well mini 7 hopefully it corrects this along with ProMotion; mini Pro anyone.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
OP uses the word “myth” which delegitimises their claim, should have replaced “myth” with “personal experience” which would be more accurate.

Moral of the story is that either OP is scrolling really slowly while reading which would minimise the jelly-scrolling effect, either has poor eyesight due to age or otherwise or simply is suffering from cognitive acceptance to justify the purchase.

Even Apple confirmed it placed the particular component in the opposite direction compared to prior iPad mini’s and it’s proven by the experiment you listed and by personal observation.

Listen I liked everything about the mini 6 and purchased it Day 01, but the moment I observed it, what a deal breaker for me I had to return it. Got the 11” iPad Pro and no regrets but really liked the compact size of the mini 6. Oh well mini 7 hopefully it corrects this along with ProMotion; mini Pro anyone.
Mini Pro is an instant buy.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The fact that other people on this forum are okay with jelly scrolling is not okay. Apple will continue to make cheaper quality products which is bad for the consumer.
Plus an iPad mini is one of those products that is held in portrait mode vice landscape so what’s with the 180 degree decision by Apple engineers, really bizarre. iPad mini is rarely used in landscape mode unless watching videos or playing games and I suspect the jelly scrolling is not observable by many as prior mini’s had it and no complaints to my knowledge.

Video and games are more forgiving compared to reading text and scrolling, questionable decision by Apple tbh and hopefully it’s corrected in mini 7.

Last edited:

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009

Usug the test even my 12.9 has a jelly effect in portrait mode. Granted it's very slight and barely noticeable in real world usage. The mini on the other hand was VERY noticable. I couldn't justify the price even though I loved the form factor.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I played with one in an Apple store and noticed the jelly scrolling pretty instantly. I was never going to buy one so I don't care one way or the other, but it's certainly a real thing affecting that model of iPad.

If you don't notice it, that's great, but that doessn't mean it isn't there.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I agree — just a typical case of nothing that becomes something by being amplified on a forum.
There's certainly degrees of "nothing becomes something" (in my case, blooming on a iPad Pro mini led sceeen - a non issue really) but the jelly is noticable in any circumstance, though not in landscape mode.
It may not be a big deal to some, but it's most certainly there, enough so that I felt I needed to return it. It’s bothered me because I felt I was paying a premium for a device that was “defective” out of the box.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I take criticisms of new Apple products, here especially, with a grain of salt. As OP said, it's always best to judge for yourself and make your decisions based on your own perspective.

That said, I was absolutely going to buy a mini — I loved the new form factor, and was pumped. I went to the store and tried one out for a good while, going through a few things I typically do with my iPads (e.g. skimming websites, scrolling articles, reading comics), and found the issue to be a deal-breaker for me.

We don't need to choose a side on everything, or tie ourselves to an identity of people who nit-pick, or who make mountains out of molehills. I'm not a "jelly scroller", I'm simply one of the people for whom this issue mattered enough to pass on this particular model. If you don't mind, then enjoy your device! It doesn't mean you've got blinders on, or have inferior eyesight, just as it doesn't mean that I'm being too picky, or looking for issues where there are none.

There have been numerous issues outlined in these forums which couldn't matter less to me (e.g. notches), but there are others which certainly do; there's nothing else to it, really...

It's always nice to hear about people enjoying their tech, regardless what anyone else thinks. :)

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
Plus an iPad mini is one of those products that is held in portrait mode vice landscape so what’s with the 180 degree decision by Apple engineers, really bazar. iPad mini is rarely used in landscape mode unless watching videos or playing games and I suspect the jelly scrolling is not observable by many as prior mini’s had it and no complaints to my knowledge.

Video and games are more forgiving compared to reading text and scrolling, questionable decision by Apple tbh and hopefully it’s corrected in mini 7.
I think instead of "bazar," you mean "bizarre." Bazar means "a place (area) consisting of rows of shops or stalls selling miscellaneous goods." Bizarre, on the other hand, means "unusual" or "strange."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.