Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I think instead of "bazar," you mean "bizarre." Bazar means "a place (area) consisting of rows of shops or stalls selling miscellaneous goods." Bizarre, on the other hand, means "unusual" or "strange."
Auto-correction on iOS šŸ˜

Reactions: skardvin

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
To each their own. Jelly Scrolling did not bother me. I noticed it yes, but it was something that I could forget mentally when using the device for some time. Probably didnā€™t help I came from an 11ā€™ iPad Pro when I was using the mini.

What made me give the mini away was the size. My iPhone 13 PM text size was almost the same as the mini for most applications I used - it was just too small. The iPad Pro 11 was better so I kept that. The people that bought my mini ended up selling it because it was too small for them too.

So for me - the size of the mini is just too small for me. But I know people who think it is the greatest thing in the world. Variety is the spice of life. What works for me may not work for others, and what works for them may not work for me. Learning about what does work for people is fun to read here on Macrumors.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just because you have great experience doesnā€™t mean experience experienced (heh, just want to have some
Fun saying that -_-) by others is invalid. You cannot see what other people see, and vice Versa. For me, I can immediately notice the jelly effect and itā€™s quite apparent, so much so that iPad mini 6 is not a device Iā€™ll ever purchase myself. But, for people who barely notice it, good for you.

Whatā€™s actually bad is, if Apple sees the iPad mini 6 selling well enough, they will automatically assume they can get away with it, and either end up wasting 3 more generations of iPad mini before accepting defeat (ahem, butterfly keyboard), or keep jelly scroll effect forever, sort of creating an icon for iPad mini, but not a good one.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Cool but itā€™s not a myth and is easily proven
it is normale behaviour in may LCD, but users decided it is a iPad mini issue. This mentality (usually negative) influence users, as the thread starter said: try it by yourself.

Reactions: KeithBN

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
it is normale behaviour in may LCD, but users decided it is a iPad mini issue. This mentality (usually negative) influence users, as the thread starter said: try it by yourself.

I have numerous LCD phones and tablets from the past 10 years, all 60hz, and none of them display jelly scrolling characteristics to the naked eye.

ā€¦yet my iPad Mini 6 does. I find the laggy keyboard and wobbly hardware buttons more disappointing from a daily use perspective though.

Reactions: klasma and BB1970

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
I read about this jelly scroll and have yet to see it on my ipad mini, and im one that notices small stuff on tvā€™s all the time. I watch a lot of tv and I always like to get the best tv. Right now I have the samsung s95b.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I have wanted an iPad Mini for some time. It seemed the perfect form factor for reading in bed, one of my favorite uses of an iPad. But I didn't buy one, because I made the mistake of listening to the folks in this forum complaining bitterly about the dreaded Jelly Scroll problem, or loudly proclaiming that they would never buy a Mini until Apple came to its senses and corrected it. What finally got me was a 20% off sale on Amazon, but even then I was dubious and ready to send it back.

Jelly Scrollers, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. I read in portrait orientation, scrolling back and forth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. It functions perfectly, as does the rest of the 6th generation iPad Mini. I'm delighted I bought it, and only wish I'd done so earlier.

Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.
Do you realise that it's only noticeable when the screen is in landscape. In portrait you can barely see it if at all.

Landscape is another matter altogether.

Turn your iPad round, try again, then see if you still think its a myth.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have wanted an iPad Mini for some time. It seemed the perfect form factor for reading in bed, one of my favorite uses of an iPad. But I didn't buy one, because I made the mistake of listening to the folks in this forum complaining bitterly about the dreaded Jelly Scroll problem, or loudly proclaiming that they would never buy a Mini until Apple came to its senses and corrected it. What finally got me was a 20% off sale on Amazon, but even then I was dubious and ready to send it back.

Jelly Scrollers, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. I read in portrait orientation, scrolling back and forth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. It functions perfectly, as does the rest of the 6th generation iPad Mini. I'm delighted I bought it, and only wish I'd done so earlier.

Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.
It's not a myth as it is already shown technically and factually why it exhibits such behavior. It's whether you notice it or not. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's a myth.

Congrats on the purchase. The iPad mini is a very unique device (the fact that Apple has three different 10-11" ipad models, but only 1 mini). It seems like a really neat device for on the go note taking.

Reactions: klasma

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
I agree, never really noticed the jelly scrolling and I did try to reproduce it. I love the Mini. I also bought it for the same reason, to read and travel. I donā€™t do a lot if work on the iPad. My only regret is I got the entry level and would like to have more memory, and cellular, maybe next time. When the Air came out I figured Iā€™d trade up but it didnā€™t retain a lot of value for trade, and ultimately I couldnā€™t part with it (so of course I have both) and I use the Mini more. My only criticism of the Mini is that the screen formats more like a larger iPad than like an iPhone which it is closer to in size. So sometimes the experience of web browsing is not so great, elements are too small in screen. On an iPhone web pages format to the small screen but on the mini then format to a large screen, but many pages are too small to read without a lot of zooming and panning. Amazon for example, very difficult on the Mini. That said, it functions perfectly, itā€™s feather light and easy to use at home or traveling. Enjoy your new device!

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I can see it on mine if I look for it. Although the only time I notice is when I see a post about it. Otherwise it doesnā€™t bother me.
Exactly this. It's not a myth, it's just not present when using the iPad in a way that anyone would actually use an iPad. Who scrolls up and down incredibly quickly when looking at content?

Reactions: velocityg4

sailingHobbit

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Germany
I agree, never really noticed the jelly scrolling and I did try to reproduce it. I love the Mini. I also bought it for the same reason, to read and travel. I donā€™t do a lot if work on the iPad. My only regret is I got the entry level and would like to have more memory, and cellular, maybe next time. When the Air came out I figured Iā€™d trade up but it didnā€™t retain a lot of value for trade, and ultimately I couldnā€™t part with it (so of course I have both) and I use the Mini more. My only criticism of the Mini is that the screen formats more like a larger iPad than like an iPhone which it is closer to in size. So sometimes the experience of web browsing is not so great, elements are too small in screen. On an iPhone web pages format to the small screen but on the mini then format to a large screen, but many pages are too small to read without a lot of zooming and panning. Amazon for example, very difficult on the Mini. That said, it functions perfectly, itā€™s feather light and easy to use at home or traveling. Enjoy your new device!
Have you tried requesting the mobile site instead of the desktop site? I think since iPadOS 14 or 15 the default for iPads is to request the desktop version of websites, but you can change that under Settings->Safari->Request Desktop Website.

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
Have you tried requesting the mobile site instead of the desktop site? I think since iPadOS 14 or 15 the default for iPads is to request the desktop version of websites, but you can change that under Settings->Safari->Request Desktop Website.
No I havenā€™t, Iā€™ll try that. Thank you!

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Exactly this. It's not a myth, it's just not present when using the iPad in a way that anyone would actually use an iPad. Who scrolls up and down incredibly quickly when looking at content?
I clearly have sensitive vision as I cannot use OLED iPhones - regarding the Mini 6 I could see jelly scroll in portrait at any scrolling speed and noticed it out of the box without knowing this device exhibited this behaviour. For my vision/brain, it is awful to the point I cannot use it comfortably and if kept I would have to use it in landscape exclusively. The Mini 6 design screams to be used in portrait and I can one hand it like a large iPhone. Scrolling the web, take this forum for example, shows all the text and lines bending like a banana! This wasn't acceptable to me so it was returned, which was a damn shame as the size + weight are perfect.

It's not something I was looking for, it's not something I can unsee. I also now see jelly scroll on the Pro iPads but it's far less pronounced due to the 120hz refresh rate. Apple is cheaping out on LCDs and controllers. I am jealous of all of you who don't see it + can use OLED iPhones. Apple's hardware choices are pushing me out of the ecosystem.

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It definitely exists and is noticible if you know what you are looking for, and are looking for it. That said, it really doesn't matter as it has zero detrimental effect on the experience.

More than the jelly scroll though, I feel the iPad Mini itself just doesn't operate at a full 60hz all the time. Just swiping through app pages feels like it has a few hitches in there. I'm hoping the mini will get a ProMotion upgrade, but I kind of doubt it with how Apple has laid out the iPad lineup now.

Muscovite

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2020
Definitely there, putting my 5 right next made it really obvious. But hey, a) itā€™s def there bit no big deal at all in practical use, and b) whatever works.

ā€˜Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.ā€™
This bit quoted in its entirety ;)

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Different eyes see different things, this topic is quite subjective.

I am very sensitive to jelly scroll as I am used to 120 Hz screens that subjectively (maybe also technically?) lack it.

I can see XDR Blominā€™ā„¢ only when I lock myself at 3am in a cellar on a cold night, but some people went so far to create a stickied thread about it.

I respond differently to low PWM from other people, device to device, also very subjective.

I hated the 60 Hz AMOLED display of Galaxy Tab S5e for portrait mode jelly scroll I know for certain it suffered from, so I believe for some people iPad mini 6 Jelly Scrollā„¢ can also be a real issue.

One common denominator for both AMOLED Galaxy Tab S5e and LCD iPad mini 6 is a cheap display used, not LCD x OLED tech behind it.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
If only the screen refreshed vertically on a device thatā€™s primarily used in portrait mode šŸ¤”ā€¦ nah, that would be too obvious of a decision (same issue as Tab S5e).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.