Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It’s great in my office. I have fluorescent lights on the side that were really noticeable with my old iPad but I hardly see them (except on the bezel) on the iPad Pro.

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I love it and am so glad I went with the nano screen. I love the look of it and the way the pencil feels on it. I really hope they make the next iPhone with one. Its awesome.
Do you feel like it’s picking up less fingerprints thank a normal glossy display?

Reactions: motulist

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
That’s actually another wonderful part of this display. There are literally no fingerprints.
Damnit- I was kind of hoping you wouldn’t stay that…

I have zero need for 1TB of storage or 16 gigs of ram (or 1 more performance core in the M4), but being less fingerprint prone is making me want to spend $700 more than I should just because I’m weirdly OCD about constantly wiping fingerprints off all my devices…

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010

I have zero need for 1TB of storage or 16 gigs of ram (or 1 more performance core in the M4), but being less fingerprint prone is making me want to spend $700 more than I should just because I’m weirdly OCD about constantly wiping fingerprints off all my devices…
Funny - I am exact same way. Going to get a nano display when I see one in stock.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
On my older iPad pro 11 I added a "paper feel" screen protector, and I really like it. Now that I have finished my MS degree, I may remove it. :)

There was no way I could take notes on a glossy screen. My handwriting was bad enough...

R

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Could anybody test how and if the Nano Display Field, different for writing with the Pencil … is it similar to the remarkable2?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I added a spigen screen protector to my nano and totally expectedly I now have glare 🤪

I really want to protect this display - but I think the only thing that will work here is a matte screen protector which then makes me wonder why bother with the nano screen…

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I added a spigen screen protector to my nano and totally expectedly I now have glare 🤪

I really want to protect this display - but I think the only thing that will work here is a matte screen protector which then makes me wonder why bother with the nano screen…
I don’t think it will be as delicate as Apple’s previous attempts at nano texture. Clearly they designed it for use with the Apple Pencil and as a touchscreen.

athenodorus

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015

Are u able to show some photos? Darn, so nano users will have to really use it naked uh.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Spent some time with both being all ocd at the Apple Store. For reading in bright light, the nanotexture will be amazing.

The only downside I could really see was the loss of the jaw dropping blacks, contrast ratio, on the standard glass models.

It really just depends what you value more. There’s a clear trade off, but image clarity / text crispness didn’t seem to be one of the trade offs which is impressive.

I went with a 1TB standard glass model.

Reactions: motulist and KPOM

jonatious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2016

Just get Paperlike. I have 0 fingerprint issues. Also nano display really messes up with the contrast of the OLED display

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
Just get Paperlike. I have 0 fingerprint issues. Also nano display really messes up with the contrast of the OLED display
This is what I want to know, since I will certainly be using it to read in bright sunlight.
I love sitting outside in the summer during office hours when I can. But screens outside in bright sunlight are often difficult to see. The screen gets washed out and tends to be full of reflections.

I used my 13 Pro nano in bright outdoor sunlight today and the results were awesome. I had a bunch of technical articles I needed to read and the nano display made the job easy on the eyes. The 13” Pro had more than enough power to keep the screen bright enough, and the nano textured display kept the reflections away. I have to say, it was a pretty new experience. You don’t realize how much our brains do to filter out so to speak all the reflections we read/watch through. To have the reflections neutralized and be able to focus on what I was looking at was worth the investment.

When I was standing in the Apple Store trying to decide if I was going to pull the trigger on the nano texture or not I noticed several things. For one, the standard glass iPad Pro 13” in the lightning environment of the Apple Store had slightly deeper blacks. I think at this point everyone can agree on this. However, the screen was completely filled with reflections from every light source in the area. I could easily see myself. But this is what we’re all used to and conditioned to. We expect it and just naturally look through it, but the reflections, they’re always there. Now on the other hand, the nano textured iPad, it’s different than what most of us are used to. There was pretty much near zero reflection coming from it. But it’s diffusing the light and in the way it’s done, you lose the deep contrast of the OLED. But maybe you don’t always lose that deep contrast - that was the hope.

So what I’ve personally noticed so far about the nano texture display on the iPad Pro. The brighter the light, not as deep on the contrast as standard display. However, standard display would be swimming in reflections whereas nano texture display would basically have none. Personally I’d say that’s a tie between the two, as neither is perfect in that situation. Unless, you really need to work on that iPad in that light and you just don’t want to deal with the reflections. Then I think the iPad Pro with nano display squeaks out a win. But what’s interesting is when there’s no real bright light source. This from my short experience is where both displays are on par with each other in terms of contrast. In my experience using the iPad Pro with nano texture display with diffused lighting in the evening in my home, has brought those deep deep blacks we all want to the screen. I personally think the blacks appear the same in both nano and non nano textured displays in this scenario. This is why in the end I will be keeping the nano textured iPad. I think it’s just more versatile to the way in which I use my iPad. Having said that, this experience is completely my own and I understand that we all have our points of view and unique experiences. I wanted to take a moment to share mine in the hopes it helps someone else make for me what was a difficult decision a little easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.