Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Yes it does.
I wish Apple would have spotlighted this. I originally ordered a 13”, 1TB nano texture iPad Pro, hoping for some “texture” with the PencilPro, but it had a 1 month ship date in my area so I cancelled and ordered a standard display that I could pick up on the 15th after hearing one of the Apple event attendees (I think Federico Viticci) state that the screen still felt smooth. At the Apple Store I was offered the option of switching to the nano texture as they had them in stock. I refused because of the reporting that the PencilPro still felt smooth on glass and thought this was not worth the trade off in screen clarity. I’m surprised that you’re reporting that the nano-texture display is indeed textured with the Apple PencilPro. Why wouldn’t Apple state this significant feature?? 🤔

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I tried writing and drawing on the nano texture demo unit in my local Apple Store, and cannot imagine how someone finds it less slippy than the vanilla glossy glass. With glossy, the pencil tip would have a sort of friction against it, like how you can't slide a cellophane across smooth surface easily. With the nano texture I feel that friction is just gone.

Reactions: heretiq

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
I tried writing and drawing on the nano texture demo unit in my local Apple Store, and cannot imagine how someone finds it less slippy than the vanilla glossy glass. With glossy, the pencil tip would have a sort of friction against it, like how you can't slide a cellophane across smooth surface easily. With the nano texture I feel that friction is just gone.

Its the actually opposite of that for me. I've used the pencil on the glossy display and the nano display and the nano definitely offers more of a grip to it.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Its the actually opposite of that for me. I've used the pencil on the glossy display and the nano display and the nano definitely offers more of a grip to it.
I guess I probably didn't try throughly. For instance I didn't take the iPad off from the Magic KB and lay it flat on the table to try. Also we may be describing this in language way too general, like, perhaps the nano texture gives less initial friction when the pen tip goes fast, but offers finer detail when the tip is moving slowly. On my M1 when drawing I some time do feel more texture is needed when doing strokes repeatedly in an area, like shading. Perhaps the nano can help with that a bit.

Doug2

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I brought both versions of the iPad Pro 13 home yesterday. I wanted to love the nano texture but if you have good eyesight the difference in image sharpness is stunning, especially when reading a textbook on it. The image quality tradeoff is massive for the few times that you can’t angle a display away from glare…

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I brought both versions of the iPad Pro 13 home yesterday. I wanted to love the nano texture but if you have good eyesight the difference in image sharpness is stunning, especially when reading a textbook on it. The image quality tradeoff is massive for the few times that you can’t angle a display away from glare…
That is interesting. I thought for reading newspapers, textbooks, etc, the nano would be better. When I use a matte screen protector on the iPad Pro 12.9, I think it makes reading newspapers, etc. better. Thanks for the feedback.

DMG35

Contributor
Original poster
May 27, 2021
Because it is very subtle. Do not expect a pronounced "paperlike" effect.

No it’s not like using a paperlike (which is overpriced trash). But it gives enough grip that it feels. Noticeably better than sliding around on the glossy display.

Reactions: the future

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
This reviewer is impressed with the drawing experience on the nano screen. I've ordered the glossy unit, but this is making me reconsider my original decision.

Reactions: the future

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I don’t think it will be as delicate as Apple’s previous attempts at nano texture. Clearly they designed it for use with the Apple Pencil and as a touchscreen.
Agreed. Apple reps have said that this is not an etched glass like the nanotexture on the Studio Display. This is a chemically treated glass. It is not depending on a rough surface to diffuse the reflections. It should be much more durable than the etched glass.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Here it is with the spigen protector over the nano display (I would say this screen protector fits perfect and looks great).

But it defeats the purpose of the display.
IMG_4738.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I can tell you all now that where I am sitting in Starbucks now I would be looking at reflections and getting annoyed.

I can tell that the nano-display makes the display look different, it doesn’t look as contrasty. But what is more important? A deep black or being able to see the display :)

Doug2

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I have both in direct sun right now in my backyard and whatever coating they have on the standard glossy is great. The matte just looks more washed out.

Reactions: Tagbert

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I have both in direct sun right now in my backyard and whatever coating they have on the standard glossy is great. The matte just looks more washed out.
Intersting - so in sunlight the glossy looks better? I would have thought the opposite. Good to know.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
I spent a good amount of time with both…

In sunlight, the standard display does surprisingly well because the coating is quite good (it‘s not magic, you’ll see a reflection still) and the brightness of the display goes to Max and you can see way better than on previous generation Ipad Pro’s. If you have an iPhone 15 Pro, you’ll know the improvement that you can expect.

In sunlight, I prefer the nano-texture. The image quality is crisp, and it makes things easier to read and see.

But if you’re not in a bright environment that often, the trade offs aren’t worth it IMHO. The nano-texture display just sucks up all the light in the room and takes away the advantages of this amazing OLED screen. I found fingerprints difficult to remove with the nano-texture glass too because the oils I guess are in all those little holes - I guess that’s why they give you a special cleaning cloth (don’t expect to just “huff huff” on the display and wipe it away with a t-shirt, like you can on a standard glass display).

Anyways - you can’t go wrong with either depending on what your daily use is. Im standing in sunlight now with A standard display and can see my reflection a bit, but the screen is so good that it doesn’t bother me much at all and I still enjoy the dark blacks and crispness of the OLED display.

It’s not an easy decision!!!! I think apple knocked this hardware out of the park this year.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Man for me it’s the complete opposite.

I also brought both home, and after going back and forth, the clear and easy winner is the nano-texture. In a darkened room (living room with curtains closed), I can barely notice ANY difference between the two. In a room with bright light, the nano looks better because there are no reflections or glares to compete with the screen.

If there is any image quality trade off, it’s VERY minimal.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
I also brought both home, and after going back and forth, the clear and easy winner is the nano-texture. In a darkened room (living room with curtains closed), I can barely notice ANY difference between the two. In a room with bright light, the nano looks better because there are no reflections or glares to compete with the screen.

If there is any image quality trade off, it’s VERY minimal.
In a VERY dark room, I totally agree - I barely notice a difference. But even in a dark room with just "some" light (think just normal lighting conditions in your home or office), I do notice the difference. It's not like the nano-texture display looks bad at all, it just absorbs the light more I guess and makes the blacks on the screen appear more grey, and I just love the way the standard display makes those colours pop against the blacks on the OLED screen. If I'm not looking at an image with any blacks, then I probably wouldn't notice or care. If you don't care about having those deep dark blacks an popping colours (ie, if you use a matte screen protector on previous iPad's), then I think that person would be happier with nano-texture.

Agree with you that in a room with very bright light, or sunlight, nano-texture looks better.

Honestly, it's a pretty even trade off and you just have to pick what you like better... the black blacks of a glossy OLED display, or less reflections and glare.

It was the fingerprints on the nano-texture that pushed me more towards the standard glass. Ironically, the nano-texture doesn't get fingerprints as fast, but once they are there, they are harder to remove compared to the standard glass.

If you generally use your iPad Pro with dirty hands and wipe or clean the display frequently to remove smudges, I think that should be something people factor in maybe even more than the dark contrast vs. less reflection trade off. The oils and smudges really stick to that nano-texture pretty good, and I just got annoyed with that (I guess it gets all into those little holes and that's why apple gives people a special cloth - not so much for protecting the screen, more for just having something effective to wipe away those smudges).

Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
In a VERY dark room, I totally agree - I barely notice a difference. But even in a dark room with just "some" light (think just normal lighting conditions in your home or office), I do notice the difference. It's not like the nano-texture display looks bad at all, it just absorbs the light more I guess and makes the blacks on the screen appear more grey, and I just love the way the standard display makes those colours pop against the blacks on the OLED screen. If I'm not looking at an image with any blacks, then I probably wouldn't notice or care. If you don't care about having those deep dark blacks an popping colours (ie, if you use a matte screen protector on previous iPad's), then I think that person would be happier with nano-texture.

Agree with you that in a room with very bright light, or sunlight, nano-texture looks better.

Honestly, it's a pretty even trade off and you just have to pick what you like better... the black blacks of a glossy OLED display, or less reflections and glare.

It was the fingerprints on the nano-texture that pushed me more towards the standard glass. Ironically, the nano-texture doesn't get fingerprints as fast, but once they are there, they are harder to remove compared to the standard glass.

If you generally use your iPad Pro with dirty hands and wipe or clean the display frequently to remove smudges, I think that should be something people factor in maybe even more than the dark contrast vs. less reflection trade off. The oils and smudges really stick to that nano-texture pretty good, and I just got annoyed with that (I guess it gets all into those little holes and that's why apple gives people a special cloth - not so much for protecting the screen, more for just having something effective to wipe away those smudges).
Do fingerprints eventually go away and it just takes longer/more effort, or do you really need to do the 70% isopropyl alcohol thing to get rid of them all?

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Do fingerprints eventually go away and it just takes longer/more effort, or do you really need to do the 70% isopropyl alcohol thing to get rid of them all?
It was difficult to just wipe them away with my t-shirt the same way I wipe away fingerprints from standard glass. I unfortunately didn't test that out using the apple supplied polishing cloth though.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
In low light - I can't see the border of the screen at all.

The nano texture will not effect blacks or contrast in low light. But in light it makes the screen easier to see...

Sounds and looks perfect to me.

On the subject of finger prints - that should NOT be a factor to consider. If you have greasy hands or dirty hands then your prints will hang around more on any display. It’s no worse on the nano texture. And you get a cleaning cloth in the box.

IMG_4742.jpeg

Doug2

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I mostly read textbooks on it and the image sharpness loss was most problematic on small figures / text (where it becomes challenging to read without zooming in). I agree that for other forms of content it has a nostalgic friendly glow. I’ve taken both around for another few days and for me the glossy is the clear winner (though I would have thought this would be the opposite since I previously used my Kindle a lot to avoid reflections).

Reactions: Tagbert and klasma

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2014
I can tell you all now that where I am sitting in Starbucks now I would be looking at reflections and getting annoyed.

I can tell that the nano-display makes the display look different, it doesn’t look as contrasty. But what is more important? A deep black or being able to see the display :)
Deep black for sure, considering that there is also anti reflective coating and that the brightness could reach high level in such conditions… of course is a matter of preference, but i never had issues with ipads with glossy display.

On contrary, for few times one could benefit of nano texture anti reflective properties, you lose forever the main purpose of an OLED display you paid for, i.e. better contrast, real blacks etc…

just my 2 cents, i understand everyone has different priorities of course

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.