Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgalakazam

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Germany
Considering the new Air and iPad pro announced and the Mini only getting a storage price cut, what are the chances of an actual refresh? I was hoping it was going to be at least announced in March. Now I might just have to settle for the current model.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Sounds about right for when Intel will have a new CPU in the socket the Mini uses available. :p

Can't upgrade when your suppliers (Intel) have nothing to upgrade to.
they could get intel to make them i9-9900 B variant, fits the envelope.
but yeah.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
The new Mac Nini has come, albeit a minor, but much needed update. Base model storage has been doubled to 256 GB, and 512 GB in the higher end model, with pricing unchanged, T, for one, would consider buying one now.... Either the high end model off the shop floor, or more likely the lower spec model custom ordered with 1 TB.....

Roll on the day when this transient phase of my life ends, and I can set up a Mac Mini on a desk again. My 2017 Air is OK for my needs for now, but I d0 prefer use a desktop with a decent sized monitor and better sounding speakers.... and a mouse.

The new Mac mini, with more substantial updates is almost certainly coming..... in a year or two or three.

Wouldn't "price drop" be more accurate than "upgrade"?

More than just better value for money now, the refreshed Mini gives people the idea that it has 18-24 months more life left in it rather than the forgotten product that the 2014 model became after year 3. The timing is welcome but makes you wonder what happens to it if the iMac in the next 6 months (as expected) goes to Comet Lake S.

For what it's worth there is scope for the 27" iMac to go all pro, and then the 21.5" iMac could go mobile - especially if ideas about the latter's stand could take inspiration from the iPad Pro trackpad stand.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not hating it. Any time that Apple drops prices, it's a good thing. And yes, it demonstrates their commitment to the Mini, which is also very nice. Apple did the same thing with the 13" MacBook Air about 5 years ago (?). They upped the RAM to 8gb in the base model without changing price.

My only point is, I don't think changing the base model configuration is an "upgrade", since you could get the exact same computer in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Considering the new Air and iPad pro announced and the Mini only getting a storage price cut, what are the chances of an actual refresh? I was hoping it was going to be at least announced in March. Now I might just have to settle for the current model.

A CPU/iGPU refresh is dependent on Intel offering a 10th Generation B-Series CPU. They did not make a 9th Generation B-Series and I have not seen anything definitive about them doing so for the 10th, but fingers crossed they do.

they could get intel to make them i9-9900 B variant, fits the envelope. but yeah.

They could, but at what price? People already feel the Mini is too expensive and if Apple needs to raise the price another $100-200 to cover the cost of a custom Intel CPU for it...

For what it's worth there is scope for the 27" iMac to go all pro, and then the 21.5" iMac could go mobile - especially if ideas about the latter's stand could take inspiration from the iPad Pro trackpad stand.
18 to 24 months? I plan on using my late 2018 model for much longer than that.

Also, with this COVID-19 crisis, folks being laid off, and folks working from home, I suspect any new developments will be "put on hold", so to speak. Yeah, while a speed boost, and other enhancements would be nice, it is probably better to expect to live with what we have now. And by taking care of one's machine (or machines), they will last a long, long time.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
My course was more certainly locked in for Linuxland today. It becomes quite clear Apple does not care much for desktops, and I don't need an expensive iPad simulator.
OTOH, There's fun to be had with an inexpensive 4GB Raspberry pi 4. Kinda reminds me of an old Apple II. I liked that machine.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
If the iMac Pro is getting new CPUs, mini LED screen, and maybe new GPUs in Q4 this year I'd say there's a decent chance that the iMac follows very soon and crucially before Comet Lake S comes out.

The 2020 Mini got a refresh 6 maths earlier than I thought (but I still predicted the storage doubling which has also happened with the iPad Pro and MacBook Air), and it's easy to think that Apple could exactly the same with the iMac - before the Comet Lake S CPUs emerge.

So if the iMac is getting a simple spec bump refresh:

a. Apple get to make the iMac better value with bigger storage options - Fusion drive stays because there's no need to go all SSD without a T2 CPU. 2Tb as standard in the 27" gives you better performing system.

b. Apple could also choose to simply hand out better GPU as standard instead of bump the CPU. Radeon Pro 5300M, 5500M and 5600M sound about right.

c. And keeping the Coffee Lake CPUs for a year gives the 2020 iMac Pro a nice performance differential for a while when it comes out.

d. And what if design considerations with the next iMac, especially after seeing the iPad Pro keyboard case, mandate a lighter case? For example - if the iMac was becoming an iMac Air - with the iMac Pro going upmarket to do the heavy lifting?

OTOH, There's fun to be had with an inexpensive 4GB Raspberry pi 4. Kinda reminds me of an old Apple II. I liked that machine.
Yeah, I started my personal computing days with an Apple IIE, back in 1982. I remember the excitement of enhancing that machine with various plug-in cards. Also, I was able to provide my on call duties using that machine at home. I used that machine for about 6 years, finally upgrading to an Apple IIGS.

In the meantime, the place I was working at that time was one of the first companies to get the original Macintosh. I got to play with it, but I still would relish getting home to use my IIE.

I again used the IIGS in a very productive manner until 1996, and that is when I purchased by first Mac, a Power Macintosh 6100. But those Apple IIs will always hold a special place for me.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Yeah, I started my personal computing days with an Apple IIE, back in 1982.

I started with an Apple ][ in 1978, went all out and got the 16k version. No disk drives yet, you needed a cassette recorder. No floating point BASIC in ROM, you had to load it into RAM from tape every time. At work, we got an Apple //e and Apple ///. My Dad had an Apple //c. My boss got the original Kaypro. Man, that thing weighed a ton! Later we got an Apple IIgs at work.

In 1985 I got a "Fat Mac" 512, and so it began. I used BSD unix in the 80's, had an AT&T 3B1 "unix PC" at home and later was an early adopter of Red Hat Linux, setting up a mail and web server for my company with it.

This was all a lot of fun, and very exciting at the time. But I don't want to go back. I'll stay with the Mac. :)

I started with an Apple ][ in 1978, went all out and got the 16k version. No disk drives yet, you needed a cassette recorder. No floating point BASIC in ROM, you had to load it into RAM from tape every time. At work, we got an Apple //e and Apple ///. My Dad had an Apple //c. My boss got the original Kaypro. Man, that thing weighed a ton! Later we got an Apple IIgs at work.

In 1985 I got a "Fat Mac" 512, and so it began. I used BSD unix in the 80's, had an AT&T 3B1 "unix PC" at home and later was an early adopter of Red Hat Linux, setting up a mail and web server for my company with it.

This was all a lot of fun, and very exciting at the time. But I don't want to go back. I'll stay with the Mac. :)
Fascinating! I never got as technical as you did, but I did understand the advantages of getting the upgrade "cards" that plugged into the slots inside the IIE (and later the IIGS). Still, though, both the IIE and IIGS served me well, and that included being able to use them for my on-call responsibilities. I distinctly remember getting called in the middle of the night, then logging onto the mainframe with either machine, and then being able to resolve the issue. It was fun! Plus, with folks always looking down at Apple products at that time, I of course felt a great deal of accomplishment by using such machines.

As I mentioned above, the place I was working at in the early 80's was one of the first companies to get the original Macintosh machines. This article, on page 23, mentions that employer, Seattle-First National Bank, and their decision to "connect" those Macs to the IBM mainframe (Title of article is "Bank Plans to use Macintosh to Interact With Mainframe"):

But shoot, I had been using my Apple IIE to interact with the mainframe machine, originally a Honeywell, then an IBM.

Like you, I won't go back (retired anyway). But I just relish those times!😃

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I really miss the old days of the constant small spec bumps like this as it made less important that you hold off on upgrading.

Still not enough to get me to upgrade my 2012 model, but hopefully we a real upgrade later this year sometime. Still really hoping for AMD 4000 series APUs, but seems like a pipe dream, I'd be happy enough with newer Intel processors with better GPUs and WiFi 6 support.

I really miss the old days of the constant small spec bumps like this as it made less important that you hold off on upgrading.

Still not enough to get me to upgrade my 2012 model, but hopefully we a real upgrade later this year sometime. Still really hoping for AMD 4000 series APUs, but seems like a pipe dream, I'd be happy enough with newer Intel processors with better GPUs and WiFi 6 support.
I had happily been using a Core i7 2012 model, but I suspect Catalina is the last OS that can run on it. So, I sold it, and purchased a 2018 model, with a 3 GHz Core i5 processor, 256 gig SSD, and 8 gig of Ram. I thought I'd be taking a step back in processors, but that is far from the case. The 2018 model is definitely faster, and a pleasure to use. Plus, I was able to sell the 2012 model for a good price.

Reactions: strawbale

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
There's not really much for them to bump to, until Intel get a desktop CPU out that isn't a refresh of a refresh of a refresh.
You could put in a 9th generation, or whatever their long name 10th gen 14nm parts are, but it would still be about the same IPC and come with those pathetic graphics.
It's nice to see 128gb disappear.

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
There's not really much for them to bump to, until Intel get a desktop CPU out that isn't a refresh of a refresh of a refresh.
You could put in a 9th generation, or whatever their long name 10th gen 14nm parts are, but it would still be about the same IPC and come with those pathetic graphics.
It's nice to see 128gb disappear.

3rd gen AMD APU would be nice.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
They could, but at what price? People already feel the Mini is too expensive and if Apple needs to raise the price another $100-200 to cover the cost of a custom Intel CPU for it...
i7 8700 B was practically a custom chip, it's the same chip except different socket. Not rocket science at all.

MSRP of i7-8700K is 303$,
MSRP of i7-8700B is 303$
MSRP of i9-9900K is 423$

They could keep the baseline mini the same i3, but 9300 instead of 8300, and bumped the CPU upgrade for 150$ instead of what it's now.
problem solved.

Yeah but if your getting more mac for same money, then it’s still a plus....;)
in the world of computing, if you're getting the same as 2 years ago for a 10% discount that's a pretty weak plus. :D

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Wouldn't "price drop" be more accurate than "upgrade"?
Nope, because the price has not dropped.
[automerge]1584636744[/automerge]
It’s not an upgrade, it’s a price cut.

NAND memory prices have fallen, the 15” MBP went from 256GB to 512GB (and 15” to 16”) with no price increase a few months ago. The armchair experts here at MR forums said the price would increase from $2,399 to $4,000 or more 🙄
It is an upgrade, albeit a minor one, offering better value for money. The price has not been cut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.