Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
If you didn't own a dozen Minis I'd think you were trolling.
  1. Where is the power supply for the Mini vs that NUC?
  2. It's a PC.
  3. You'd be better off comparing the size and capabilities of that NUC to, perhaps, an AppleTV HD.
I probably own more Mac Minis than the average person but I also own several NUCs. See how tiny the PSU is.

Attachments

• 51Pa3hJii0L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    51Pa3hJii0L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 102

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This looks like a third party high wattage PSU. The NUC PSUs are much smaller.

Bottom line is that when even Intel "out-Apples" Apple then you know Tim Apple isn't pushing his employees anymore.

Yeah it's a high-wattage 3rd party PSU.

I've read that NUCs need a lot of wattage for the two Thunderbolt ports as well as the mid to high-end Intel processors that are available inside those Thunderbolt-equipped NUCs.

So yes... the PSU in the image I posted might not be the typical NUC PSU.

Still though... it's kinda silly to say "look at how small the NUC is" without acknowledging the external PSU that is required.

Could Apple make a smaller Mac Mini? Absolutely. But they'd likely have to use an external power supply. Like the NUC.

:p

Reactions: Cape Dave

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Still though... it's kinda silly to say "look at how small the NUC is" without acknowledging the external PSU that is required.

Could Apple make a smaller Mac Mini? Absolutely. But they'd likely have to use an external power supply. Like the NUC.
Point is the NUC + tiny PSU is way smaller than the monster Mac Mini case. Apple design ideas died when Sir Jony Ive was chased out of Cupertino by Tim Apple.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
When he was at Apple, post-SJ, there was much complaining that most of his designs were too much form over function. Now that he's gone, he's missed. So, which is it?
I think the summation is that Apple have run out of design ideas which is why the Mini is based on a 15 year old aging design. The NUC slaughters it.

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
The NUC is so amazing and successful that Intel ended up dumping it from their lineup and selling it to ASUS lol.
It wasn't a core contributor to Intel's bottom line so it was a distraction to them. We don't know how many Mac Minis that Apple sells. But, clearly, Intel invested in the design of the NUC over the year, something which Apple never does.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Yeah it's a high-wattage 3rd party PSU.

I've read that NUCs need a lot of wattage for the two Thunderbolt ports as well as the mid to high-end Intel processors that are available inside those Thunderbolt-equipped NUCs.

So yes... the PSU in the image I posted might not be the typical NUC PSU.

:p
A lot of the newer mini PCs support USB C power delivery (e.g. Minisforum UM790 Pro). So if that's something you really care about when coupled with a capable USB C monitor, one cable can do video + power and no extra external PSU. You could also easily mount it on the monitor to have it even more out of the way.

There's so much empty space in the base model Minis these days and the PSU is overkill 150W leftovers from the Intel Mac Mini days that they could probably chop the size by a third or more if they really cared.

Reactions: Chuckeee

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
The NUC slaughters it.
And Intel dropped the NUC.

The NUC was so great ... that Intel ended it.

Sure, ASUS (and others) make small boxes, and ASUS is picking up the servicing of NUCs.

But again, you think the NUC is great... but Intel couldn't make it a profitable business.

And you have yet to comment on the noise of the NUC (and similar) devices.

Or the power consumption.

The fact is that many people and companies have made supporting devices for the Mac Mini form, and if Apple changed the masses would be screaming about it.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
The NUC is so amazing and successful that Intel ended up dumping it from their lineup and selling it to ASUS lol.
I gave an NUC a trial. It was the type shown, small and square. It had HORRIBLE fan noise. Insane. However, I now have the larger (slightly) Phantom Canyon box, and it is dead silent. A true thing beauty. Best computer I ever had, and I have had them ALL!

Bob_DM

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
Kessel-lo - Belgium
Point is the NUC + tiny PSU is way smaller than the monster Mac Mini case. Apple design ideas died when Sir Jony Ive was chased out of Cupertino by Tim Apple.
I’m glad Apple abandoned the 2006 Intel mini + external psu. Mini 2006 was bit smaller in his OWN but all the extra cabling and clunky psu, pffff … thank you very much!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Do
I’m glad Apple abandoned the 2006 Intel mini + external psu. Mini 2006 was bit smaller in his OWN but all the extra cabling and clunky psu, pffff … thank you very much!
While I agree with you that with such big, clunky psu brick it is preferable to have it all inside a compact Mac mini, I think that today, in 2024, especially with how efficient are Apple Silicon chips, the power supply can be much smaller, and it can either be integrated inside a slightly smaller Mac mini, or be external, as an adapter such as the one used with the iMac, which by the way, could integrate the Ethernet port.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Do

While I agree with you that with such big, clunky psu brick it is preferable to have it all inside a compact Mac mini, I think that today, in 2024, especially with how efficient are Apple Silicon chips, the power supply can be much smaller, and it can either be integrated inside a slightly smaller Mac mini, or be external, as an adapter such as the one used with the iMac, which by the way, could integrate the Ethernet port.
Annoying customers with an only „slightly smaller“ design that still renders existing addons and mounting locations (-> CoLo, computer farms) unusable, without significant benefit otherwise, is not worth the cost and hassle.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Those mac mini server farms kinda deserve to get disrupted as a reality check, because using consumer grade computers for servers is a bit of a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Luap and Cape Dave

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Annoying customers with an only „slightly smaller“ design that still renders existing addons and mounting locations (-> CoLo, computer farms) unusable, without significant benefit otherwise, is not worth the cost and hassle.
You don’t really know what I mean with “slightly smaller”, maybe what I have in my mind is even smaller than what you thought I was meaning. And no, I’m not doing a render to show you. The one that made Prosser back in the day looked nice.

Anyways, standing my ground, I disagree with you as well, but I’m not calling you “annoying customer”.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I’m not really pushing for a redesign as I’m happy with the way it is, but…

when the Mac mini was released in the form factor it has now, it had a SuperDrive and was designed for it. A new design could free up desk space, provide better port access and same or better cooling with integrated power supply.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I’m not really pushing for a redesign as I’m happy with the way it is, but…

when the Mac mini was released in the form factor it has now, it had a SuperDrive and was designed for it. A new design could free up desk space, provide better port access and same or better cooling with integrated power supply.
Why would a smaller form factor provide better port access? Apple could put front ports in a current mini if they wanted to. And you can get docking units (like Satechi‘s) if you absolutely need/want those and don’t want a Studio.

Better cooling in a (significantly) smaller form factor with still the PSU integrated is theoretically harder to accomplish. At least, as long as noise is still considered a relevant factor.

And the hypothetically freed up desk space is probably negligible. It may even be outweighed by the disadvantage that a smaller and lighter case would be more prone to be moved/pulled by attached cables, so you would need to countermeasure that (either Apple directly by artificially adding weight or by the customer, constructing some kind of bolted-down fence or something).

Sorry, but I still fail to see a benefit of changing the form factor for the sake of change. Of course there will always be something smaller, be it a NUC or even a Raspberry Pi. But IMHO the package as a whole is well-rounded in the current mini design - which might be why Apple didn’t see the need to change it for many years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.