Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
This isn't anything new.

Remember when Apple "offered" to sell us a software patch to enable the 802.11n compatibility that we already had on our hardware?
Funny you mention this i remember that for the Macs which was bad enough, what was funnier was when the iPod touch 3rd gen had the 802.11n hardware (iPhone 3GS did not) but was never enabled

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
The moment they make 16GB/512GB the base model, I think 99% of complainers will go away, even if every other ram/SSD upgrade costs the same (or even more).
This will be in 2036 so by then everyone will be complaining why it doesn‘t have 32GB/1TB as standard :p

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Just because Apple makes the hardware and software doesn’t make it any less complex. I mean just a couple months ago or so Final Cut Pro was updated to make more use out of the M1 and M2 Ultras extra media encoders/decoders.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I don't think it would cannibalise Pro sales. The markets are very different and Apple should just acknowledge that.

I have no intention of buying a heavier laptop and have no use for any of the ports on the Pro or the GPU grunt, so won't be buying a Pro. Just like travelling executives probably have no need for the Pro features, except maybe additional screens when at a desk

Others have a need for those ports and more GPU power for rendering, etc. They would never buy the Air as it is not capable of running long, high load tasks or would require a load of cables/dongles to attach to whatever it is they are tied to

A similarly specced Air and MBP should sell for the same price -- some value portability and others performance. Why should one be "more valuable" than the other? Apple could do with an "SE" to take the place of the non-retina Air and let the Air shine as what is, rather than cripple it
You suggest "A similarly specced Air and MBP should sell..." But that premise fails due to the wrong presumption that MBA and MBP are ever "similarly specced" when they never are. MBP always includes superior display, heat management (fans), better speakers, etc.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
But I disagree with classifying things as artificial software limitations because the resources haven't been spent on developing something. Developing software for a living I can also say that there's plenty of times we decide to cut a feature or limit a feature, not to spite people, but because we believe it is optimal for the product experience. That's not as applicable in this particular discussion, but sometimes, simplifying things for the more mainstream products and only having advanced options on the more niche products, is about giving the more mainstream customers a less cluttered, easier to use experience more-so than it is about limiting it. But remember, as mentioned, it's usually not a "if (not Pro) { limit() }" situation either, but rather a case of the features simply not being prioritised and developed for a specific product and it's quirks and characteristics

What you just mentioned is entirely not applicable to this discussion because the Mac by default is already a niche product. And support for multiple external displays is not even a new feature. It has been a standard feature for years that some people have come to just expect. Hence the outcry when M1 and M2 Airs were released with support for only 1 external display regardless of resolution.

Furthermore, you don't have to mention doing software for a living. I do too. Features can get cut, but definitely not something that has been a part of the SRS for at least 12 years. If you are not matching SRS of an existing product line and not even communicating the omission properly, either someone's head should be on the chopping block or you mention to your customer why an omission took place. If neither happened, the decision to omit is indeed intentional and related to something other than effort that must be spent on R&D.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Just because Apple makes the hardware and software doesn’t make it any less complex. I mean just a couple months ago or so Final Cut Pro was updated to make more use out of the M1 and M2 Ultras extra media encoders/decoders.

It's super complex for this to be achieved on Mx chips but it's super easy, barely an inconvenience with the Mx Pro/Max chips?

This is also not to mention the community was able to "hack" in support for 4K120 properly to HDMI, something Apple does indeed artificially limit via software and requires an EDID override to force DisplayPort to work.

Reactions: Timpetus

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The new Macbook Air supports 2 external displays in clamshell mode, compared to just 1 on the M1/M2 Airs.
There was nothing that the M3 added that would've enabled this; the M1 and M2 already had plenty of raw CPU/GPU power to do this.

It's purely a software decision.
Apple uses software to make their entry models worse.

Yeah, they've actually done this for decades now, but it's still sad. It's 2024, we should be living in the future, and instead we get artificial roadblocks.

(On that note, Apple's noise-cancelling software for the Airpods Pro could easily be brought to regular Airpods, and even to wired Earpods... would be nice to have a wired option.)

I hope the two monitors can display different contents.

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
quoting Marcan from asahi linux:

Apple's display controllers are quite sophisticated and large - a single one is larger than two performance cores on these chips (almost half of it is cache memory, to keep power usage down while the screen isn't changing). The M1 Max has more silicon for display controllers than CPUs. It is not a trivial amount of silicon area. The baseline chips can't physically fit more than one external display controller without making them significantly larger and more expensive.
DisplayLink of course works, but it's an ugly virtual screen thing using compressed data over USB3, not a true directly connected external display.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

Also quoting Marcan:

Ah, you see, that's a different story. On M1 machines, no, that routing is hardwired as far as we know. On M2 machines, yes, in principle you can route both display controllers to external outputs (and disable the internal panel). That's how it works on desktops. However, it's unlikely that the firmware supports this, since the internal panel is treated specially in many ways and it's unlikely you can just yank it out from under the primary display controller firmware without making everything go wrong. So no, unless macOS starts supporting this (which would mean the firmware supports it too), don't expect this to work on Asahi.

So there's the hard evidence of "artificial software limit".

Reactions: Timpetus

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
My gods, I can't take this place anymore... Apple puts in the effort to add a feature and the response is still negative...

There's two display controllers in a laptop with an integrated display. Not surprising that the first thought would be to apply one of those controllers to the display that's inseparable from the chip. Now Apple added a feature that lets you repurpose that controller for another external display if, for some reason, you choose to disable the integrated display. Rather than respond with a "hey, Apple found a way to address the concerns of a small subset of users", we get another wave of bile and hate.

I can't imagine what it must be like spending my time tabulating lists of ways I can present myself as a victim of minor conspiracies.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
My gods, I can't take this place anymore... Apple puts in the effort to add a feature and the response is still negative...

There's two display controllers in a laptop with an integrated display. Not surprising that the first thought would be to apply one of those controllers to the display that's inseparable from the chip. Now Apple added a feature that lets you repurpose that controller for another external display if, for some reason, you choose to disable the integrated display. Rather than respond with a "hey, Apple found a way to address the concerns of a small subset of users", we get another wave of bile and hate.

I can't imagine what it must be like spending my time tabulating lists of ways I can present myself as a victim of minor conspiracies.

See above. Same mechanism should be possible with M2 too.

If we will eventually get the same "new feature" (mind: it had been available in MacBook Airs for 12 years prior to M chips) in M2, then sure. I can concede at that point that Apple did not make this an artificial limit. If it is indeed possible also on M2 and there are no significant change between M2 & M3, then not backporting this to M2 just reeks of Apple being forced to give us this "feature" right after Mac sales dropped 34%.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
See above. Same mechanism should be possible with M2 too.

If we will eventually get the same "new feature" (mind: it had been available in MacBook Airs for 12 years prior to M chips) in M2, then sure. I can concede at that point that Apple did not make this an artificial limit. If it is indeed possible also on M2 and there are no significant change between M2 & M3, then not backporting this to M2 just reeks of Apple being forced to give us this "feature" right after Mac sales dropped 34%.

This is more of what I mean. Apple is being forced to add a second display in clamshell mode because that's going to recover 34% in sales?

I read those comments above and saw "yep, not easy to do".

You read those comments from someone who is not an Apple employee saying that it might be possible in principle but would also take substantial effort because the integrated panel is treated specially, and decide that if they don't but put in the effort and cost of back porting it to previous generations it's all because they have malicious intents.

Reading this thread, I'd say that if Apple provides this feature it's because they're dedicated to providing the best products they can, not to please the thankless hoards.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
This isn't anything new.

Remember when Apple "offered" to sell us a software patch to enable the 802.11n compatibility that we already had on our hardware?
Yes, it was a $2 fee they needed to charge in 2007 under accounting rules in the Sarbanes-Oxley act and how it defined certain accounting practices. Other manufacturers had to do the same when the new Wi-Fi standards were approved, though manufacturers knew the standards were coming soon, so the hardware in some products was capable even if the firmware wasn't at the initial time of sale. More here.

Can't blame Awful Evil Apple for this one. But speaking of evil, I love your Marathon-inspired profile pic.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
It doesn't "prove" any such thing. This software update adds the ability for the MacBook to run differently in clamshell mode than it does while open, and support an additional external display in clamshell model. Something no other Mac does. It's entirely possible that this software update was simply not ready 4 months ago when the M3 MBP's released, and they made sure it was ready by the time M3 Air was released. It's not nefarious. It's just development prioritization.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Until everyone feels 32GB/1TB is the minimum! I was very happy that my 2016 Macbook M3 retina came with 8GB base RAM, but now I want 16GB in my M3 MBA.
Underneath the current debate about specs I think there is a genuine current of wanting Apple to provide its customers with more value for money, as there always has been when people debated Apple's stock configurations. But I feel like the 8 GB/16 GB and 256 GB/512 GB wars are just a reflection of the same rehashed debates over specs that never ends when discussing Apple hardware.

I'm happy with the base model config on my MacBook Air; it feels plenty fast for what I need it to do, which admittedly isn't all that much compared to working with 8K video, high-res Photoshop images, large 3D rendering workloads or huge ML data sets.

I find a lot of the complaining around the base specs of the MacBook Air to be somewhat puzzling. It leaves me asking about what people are genuinely expecting out of Apple's lowest-end laptop line. It reminds me somewhat of the early-mid 90s, when reviewers would complain that a home-oriented PPC 603-based Performa didn't benchmark as well as a pro-level PPC 601- or 604-based Power Mac.

It is possible that that was a license issue, and they weren't allowed to freely release the update. It was such a minor fee that anything else didn't make sense, and Jobs was not known for nickel and diming it like Cook. They also had to sell OSX at an extremely low price for a couple of releases because of licensing Issues, which, after that got fixed, OSX became free. So it was not without presedence.
It was mainly due to Sarbanes-Oxley as others have been so quick to mention. But I'm sure that if Apple really wanted a way to give out that update for free, they could have legally figured something out.

And for me, Apple has always been a company that's nickle-and-dimed customers, whether it was for RAM/storage upgrades or accessories. It's only been magnanimous with its products when it was to their market advantage...which is, well, what every other company does under Capitalism. 🤷‍♀️

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In the press release, Apple lists dual-display support as one of the top three major selling points. That pretty much guarantees Apple isn't going to backport the feature, regardless of how easy it might be.

It also tells you how desperate Apple is to recover from that 34% loss in sales volume. When was the last time you saw dual-display support as a headline feature for a notebook?

1709668506415.png

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
This is more of what I mean. Apple is being forced to add a second display in clamshell mode because that's going to recover 34% in sales?

Yes. Did you even look at their MacBook Air page? The fact that 2 displays can be connected is now mentioned as if it's a "new feature".

apple-ad.png

And in the press release, it's also headlined as mentioned above.

Why are we even kidding ourselves? Apple *is* pushing the dual-external-display connectivity "feature" as a differentiator between M3 vs M1/M2 in an effort to push old M1/M2 owners to upgrade. They even increased Mac trade-in value to make it enticing. It is very clear what they are trying to do.

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
The new Macbook Air supports 2 external displays in clamshell mode, compared to just 1 on the M1/M2 Airs.
There was nothing that the M3 added that would've enabled this; the M1 and M2 already had plenty of raw CPU/GPU power to do this.

It's purely a software decision.
Apple uses software to make their entry models worse.

Yeah, they've actually done this for decades now, but it's still sad. It's 2024, we should be living in the future, and instead we get artificial roadblocks.

(On that note, Apple's noise-cancelling software for the Airpods Pro could easily be brought to regular Airpods, and even to wired Earpods... would be nice to have a wired option.)
Your statements are baseless…

1) The number of displays supportable are a matter of bandwidth, not only of the chips themselves but also the various other mainboard chipset components. Do you have the full spec for all these components across all the MBA generations? Likely you do not…

2) Noise cancellation will only work with a proposer seal between your ear and whatever produces the audio. As regular AirPods to no offer such a seal, it would not work. Noise cancellation also requires outward facing mics to pick up the noise to be cancelled. That and the chips regular and Pro AirPods are likely different.

Nothing to see or discuss here, move along…

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Let's not pull a different product line (AirPods) into this. By limiting to one single external monitor does not make the product worse. While part of my day job is recommending and getting patrons the right Mac hardware, with MacBook Air I just suggest people to add one larger monitor over two smaller (24 or 27-inch) monitors. It's actually more cost effective and better cable management. For existing folks who have two monitors, we deployed DisplayLink docks as a workaround.

They could have gone back and enabled the M2 MacBook Air models for dual monitors support. On M1 MacBook Air or MacBook Pro without the MagSafe charging ports, it could be messy if one didn't have monitors with USB-C or Thunderbolt connectivity and docking station.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes. Did you even look at their MacBook Air page? The fact that 2 displays can be connected is now mentioned as if it's a "new feature".

View attachment 2355855

And in the press release, it's also headlined as mentioned above.

Why are we even kidding ourselves? Apple *is* pushing the dual-external-display connectivity "feature" as a differentiator between M3 vs M1/M2 in an effort to push old M1/M2 owners to upgrade. They even increased Mac trade-in value to make it enticing. It is very clear what they are trying to do.

Best thing is, Apple doesn't even hide behind marketing language. There is no, "because of the next-generation M3 GPU architecture, this clamshell mode is made possible on MacBook Air."

It's straight up, you want this feature, you need the M3 model. Pay up.

1709669805404.png

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Your statements are baseless…

1) The number of displays supportable are a matter of bandwidth, not only of the chips themselves but also the various other mainboard chipset components. Do you have the full spec for all these components across all the MBA generations? Likely you do not…

2) Noise cancellation will only work with a proposer seal between your ear and whatever produces the audio. As regular AirPods to no offer such a seal, it would not work. Noise cancellation also requires outward facing mics to pick up the noise to be cancelled. That and the chips regular and Pro AirPods are likely different.

Nothing to see or discuss here, move along…

M3 has the same memory bandwidth as M2, 100 GB/sec. Or maybe you mean M3 hardware ray-tracing is needed to drive a second display in clamshell mode? 😆

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Let’s say Apple added all the support to Air and that would cannibalize Pro sales. Apple would be “good guy” but the profits would go down. That’s a bad business decision. Apple is a business. Sometimes people forget that businesses are supposed to drive sales and maximize their profits…
When you have a loyal customer base, it's always more profitable to offer them two things that almost do what they want rather than one thing that actually does what they want.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
It’s interesting that the latest M3 MBP (none Pro) only support one external screen, while the new M3 MBA supports two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.