Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
for that price. Basically the same device with an older processor and $200 bucks for 32 go in 2019 sorry too much. $400 for 256gb in 2019, nope. About $100 too much at least, if the entry was $99 going to $299 maybe. C’mon Apple

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
for that price. Basically the same device with an older processor and $200 bucks for 32 go in 2019 sorry too much. $400 for 256gb in 2019, nope. About $100 too much at least, if the entry was $99 going to $299 maybe. C’mon Apple
I don't know why this is a surprise. Apple doesn't care about the Touch, they just wanted to continue sales so they did the quickest and cheapest upgrade possible. I don't imagine an a11 or a12 would fit in the thin chassis, and you know Apple refuses to make things thicker again.

Just give me an iPod touch using an enlarged version of the 2nd gens body and with modern specs.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
So how old/bad is that A10? My grandson has been wanting an iPod touch for a while, and I've been waiting for the new ones hoping to get him one. Stupid to buy?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So how old/bad is that A10? My grandson has been wanting an iPod touch for a while, and I've been waiting for the new ones hoping to get him one. Stupid to buy?

I would get one if the price falls within what you want to spend.

The main reason for the hardware update was to make it compatible with future iOS updates.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't imagine an a11 or a12 would fit in the thin chassis, and you know Apple refuses to make things thicker again.
What makes you say that? Both the A11 and A12 are smaller than the A10. The A12 was used in the 2019 Mini, which has the same thickness as the 5th, 6th and 7th Gen iPod Touch. I'm actually surprised they didn't go with an A12 so they can continue selling it as is for another 4 years.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
What makes you say that? Both the A11 and A12 are smaller than the A10. The A12 was used in the 2019 Mini, which has the same thickness as the 5th, 6th and 7th Gen iPod Touch. I'm actually surprised they didn't go with an A12 so they can continue selling it as is for another 4 years.
From what I've read it's a battery problem. Chips take more power so it drains the battery quicker. That could be wrong, I don't know how Apple's chips deal with power consumption.

Reactions: MarioPhone96

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nothing wrong with the A10 from a performance standpoint, it's just seems odd putting a close to 3 year old chip in a "new" device. I'm a little worried about how the battery life is going to be in this new iPod.
[doublepost=1559058206][/doublepost]
From what I've read it's a battery problem. Chips take more power so it drains the battery quicker. That could be wrong, I don't know how Apple's chips deal with power consumption.
Yeah true, the newer chips may use more power at peak if all six cores are in use, which may be more than the iPods tiny battery can handle. Then again, they had to downclock the A8 for the 6th gen, so I'm interested to see what they did with the A10 to make it work in the same chassis, and what battery life will be like. I imagine peak clock speed on the big cores will be lower than the iPhone 7 and 2018 iPad.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Just reduce the clockspeed

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
My 7 plus has that chip but it runs great, then again it's far more capable than the new Touch which to me is an expensive toy.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This spec bump without any other changes at all (same bluetooth chip and same colors even) tells me this was a fairly last minute change to lineup to get the A8 out before iOS 13 is announced. I kind of suspect they were planning a different iPod to be released along with their Apple Arcade announcement, but it ended up not being ready in time for whatever reason, and this iPod update is more of a stop gap.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
A slower clocked CPU will lead to it becoming slow quicker. Apps will be slower in the long run too. If they really did down clock it, the power level will be equal or slightly better than the 6S. Not good when there are rumors that iOS 13 will not support the 6S (probably will now) but it might not get 14.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This spec bump without any other changes at all (same bluetooth chip and same colors even) tells me this was a fairly last minute change to lineup to get the A8 out before iOS 13 is announced. I kind of suspect they were planning a different iPod to be released along with their Apple Arcade announcement, but it ended up not being ready in time for whatever reason, and this iPod update is more of a stop gap.
I kinda had the same thought - but based largely on the fact this one is unlikely to stick around for 4 years (A16 will be the latest chipset by then!) so either the line is discontinued, they do another lazy bump at the 2 year mark to an A12, or there's a redesign coming in the medium-term.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
A slower clocked CPU will lead to it becoming slow quicker. Apps will be slower in the long run too. If they really did down clock it, the power level will be equal or slightly better than the 6S. Not good when there are rumors that iOS 13 will not support the 6S (probably will now) but it might not get 14.
I thought you were going to say something like it would hurt the chip (I’m not a chip expert) — or at least bring something that made sense, but anyway...

Well the A10 is slower so they could just make them on par

Remember the A12 brings enhancements other than raw power over the A10

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I thought you were going to say something like it would hurt the chip (I’m not a chip expert) — or at least bring something that made sense, but anyway...

Well the A10 is slower so they could just make them on par

Remember the A12 brings enhancements other than raw power over the A10
I thought you meant the a10... The A9 is starting to feel somewhat slow for some, and probably will slow down a fair bit with iOS 13. An under clocked a10 would probably feel the same pains. An under clocked a12 might have been a decent choice, but I don't know if it would still effect battery life. I honestly don't know much about mobile chipsets, don't care enough to research them because they come pre-configured across the board. Every iPhone XS has the same chip.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I was a little disappointed that they did not go with the A12 chip, but since I am going to use the device primarily just for music it really doesn’t matter.

I would’ve like to see Bluetooth five, but I realize that this is just a minimum spec update to keep the iPod touch functioning because they are clearly selling enough to some market to justify his existence.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
When Phil Schiller stood on stage in 2013 and said "Can't innovate anymore my ass" as he previewed for us the Mac Pro. We all thought he was being sarcastic.

But it now seems to be a company mantra. Apple is not innovating when it releases products like the "updated" iPod Touch. This is the bare minimum they could do to extend the life of this device and it shows.

They may as well change their name from Apple to iPhone because that seems to be the only product this company cares about making anymore, it has become essentially an obsession and every other product they make suffers as they relentlessly pour resources into delivering an updated iPhone every year like clockwork.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
When Phil Schiller stood on stage in 2013 and said "Can't innovate anymore my ass" as he previewed for us the Mac Pro. We all thought he was being sarcastic.

But it now seems to be a company mantra. Apple is not innovating when it releases products like the "updated" iPod Touch. This is the bare minimum they could do to extend the life of this device and it shows.

They may as well change their name from Apple to iPhone because that seems to be the only product this company cares about making anymore, it has become essentially an obsession and every other product they make suffers as they relentlessly pour resources into delivering an updated iPhone every year like clockwork.

Don’t believe anyone is calling an iPod in 2019 innovative, i believe that’s why it launched with just a press release.

Don’t know why your comparing the launch of the old Mac Pro to an updated iPod either.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It will be on par with the 2018 iPad presumably (the chip is the same and I’m guessing it will have 2GB RAM to enable a 1GB cut off.)

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Don’t believe anyone is calling an iPod in 2019 innovative, i believe that’s why it launched with just a press release.

Don’t know why your comparing the launch of the old Mac Pro to an updated iPod either.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing that this company is no longer innovative outside of the iPhone. This is just one in a long line of products that Apple allows to stagnate. iMacs, MacBooks, Mac Mini, iPad, iPod Touch etc

They allow things to be sold for launch prices for years after release without any changes and when we finally get an update they put in a CPU from an iPhone 7 released in 2016. It's a joke. As is the Mac Pro, as is the iMac with its 6 year old design and bezels as thick as a CRT from the 90's.

As I said, all they care about is the iPhone.

Reactions: mr.steevo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.