Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I have iPads that receive sms as well. What I said was that a second iphone does not work the same way. A second iphone used like an ipad (without a second line) cannot receive sms messages (nor make phone calls, and I believe other Continuity features) via the primary phone like an ipad (or ipt) can. It can only make/receive imessages.

Again, I’m not sure, but I believe your second phone was able to receive sms from your primary phone because the second phone had it’s own number/line and it was set up to receive forwarded sms messages. An iphone without its own number/line can’t do that.

Forwarding is to the device, not to the phone number. SMS forwarding to an iphone works the exact same way as it does to an ipad or a mac.

I just tested it by enabling airplane mode (then reenabling wifi) on my 2nd phone. After that, I turned on SMS forwarding. Then i sent a text to the primary number. They received the test SMS within 1s of each other. It was also capable of sending a message the opposite way.

The "other" continuity features are things like airdrop and handoff, and in no way related to having a phone line or any particular device being primary or secondary. If you were having problems with any of these, it's more likely your phone had an issue or that bluetooth was disabled.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Forwarding is to the device, not to the phone number. SMS forwarding to an iphone works the exact same way as it does to an ipad or a mac.

I just tested it by enabling airplane mode (then reenabling wifi) on my 2nd phone. After that, I turned on SMS forwarding. Then i sent a text to the primary number. They received the test SMS within 1s of each other. It was also capable of sending a message the opposite way.

The "other" continuity features are things like airdrop and handoff, and in no way related to having a phone line or any particular device being primary or secondary. If you were having problems with any of these, it's more likely your phone had an issue or that bluetooth was disabled.
I don’t really know how to respond to this. I don’t have a second iphone anymore to confirm, but back when I did, I researched extensively, talked with people on multiple forums (possibly even apple support), and found a second iphone could not do these things. Admittedly, it was awhile ago (ca. 2015), and I can’t specifically remember which aspects of Continuity worked and didn’t, but I specifically remember SMS was not functional, which was the main deal breaker. Maybe it has changed.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Admittedly, it was awhile ago (ca. 2015), and I can’t specifically remember which aspects of Continuity worked and didn’t, but I specifically remember SMS was not functional, which was the main deal breaker. Maybe it has changed.

It has. It's much better 4 iOS versions later. For one, in the past a confirmation message was needed to set it up and sometimes didn't send and things got wonky - whereas now, they changed something in regards to SMS messages and the handshaking is done without user interaction as long as you're signed into imessage.

It's kind of like telling people cut and paste doesn't work on iPhones based on experiences in iPhoneOS.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It has. It's much better 4 iOS versions later. For one, in the past a confirmation message was needed to set it up and sometimes didn't send and things got wonky - whereas now, they changed something in regards to SMS messages and the handshaking is done without user interaction as long as you're signed into imessage.

It's kind of like telling people cut and paste doesn't work on iPhones based on experiences in iPhoneOS.
Except cut and paste was an early basic feature everybody clamored for and it was big news when it was added. Syncing sms on a second iphone via wifi is a niche feature that I’ve seen maybe one or two other people ask for—and I keep up with new features on every ios version and this addition has never been mentioned by Apple or any tech blog or anyone other than yourself that I’ve seen. For that reason, I’m rather skeptical (perhaps there is still some miscommunication between us going on), but if it was added, that’s superb and I would gladly go buy a second iphone to use as an ipt. In what version was sms forwarding added to 2nd iphones, or fixed as you say (though I’m still certain sms was not functional in this way at all before)? And could you point me toward any article that mentions this? I did a quick search and all that came up was another person who ran into basically the same issue I did
[https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...which-1-not-connected-to-cellular-without-sim],
and articles that only mention non-iphone ios devices for sms forwarding. Apple’s own continuity article [https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681] still doesn’t talk about the iphone for sms forwarding. It does specifically mention using a 2nd iphone for hotspot, and general iphones for other continuity features. But when it comes to sms forwarding (and call forwarding), it leaves iphone off the list while explicitly listing only the ipt, ipad, and mac.
And again in another Apple article [https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349], it says a phone number can be added to messages on ipt, ipad, and mac—no mention of iphone.
I would love to go out and buy another iphone for this, but I’m going to need more than your word to go on, in light of my experience, past research, and these current online results.

edit-
Looked into this further, and found this article from apple:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201422
“If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime.”

So, unlike an ipt, an iphone officially can’t even activate imessage in the first place without an active number that can send/receive sms messages.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
In what version was sms forwarding added to 2nd iphones, or fixed as you say (though I’m still certain sms was not functional in this way at all before)? And could you point me toward any article that mentions this

It's been there since the start in iOS 8.1 -> https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-use-sms-forwarding-in-ios-8.1-on-iphone-ipad-and-yosemite-on-mac/

A more recent example of it in action -> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/how-to-auto-forward-text-messages-from-an-iphone/

Towards the bottom it says "Oh and this also works great if you have multiple iPhones at hand, each with different carrier SIMs, in which case you also get the perk of receiving SMS / MMS from the other device to all your other devices, including iPads. In short, you don’t have to carry two iPhones in your pocket to reply to an SMS / MMS."

It wasn't great though, I remember going on a trip and my iCloud going haywire and struggling to re-set it all up with the codes for about an hour in the car.

i believe it was two-factor verification that "fixed" the setup process and seemed to make it just work better. I didn't start using it right away iirc, but it was definitely fine by iOS 10.

And again in another Apple article [https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349], it says a phone number can be added to messages on ipt, ipad, and mac—no mention of iphone.

technically that would be because you can't disable the number on the sim card in the iphone on that device, thus you can't add it - it is already there. i'm not sure how best to explain that one.

Looked into this further, and found this article from apple:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201422
“If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime.”

So, unlike an ipt, an iphone officially can’t even activate imessage in the first place without an active number that can send/receive sms messages.

I guess this is the difference that I'm not seeing, since I do have a sim card in there. That issue could easily be fixed though with a PAYG sim card.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It's been there since the start in iOS 8.1 -> https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-use-sms-forwarding-in-ios-8.1-on-iphone-ipad-and-yosemite-on-mac/

A more recent example of it in action -> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/how-to-auto-forward-text-messages-from-an-iphone/

Towards the bottom it says "Oh and this also works great if you have multiple iPhones at hand, each with different carrier SIMs, in which case you also get the perk of receiving SMS / MMS from the other device to all your other devices, including iPads. In short, you don’t have to carry two iPhones in your pocket to reply to an SMS / MMS."

It wasn't great though, I remember going on a trip and my iCloud going haywire and struggling to re-set it all up with the codes for about an hour in the car.

i believe it was two-factor verification that "fixed" the setup process and seemed to make it just work better. I didn't start using it right away iirc, but it was definitely fine by iOS 10.

technically that would be because you can't disable the number on the sim card in the iphone on that device, thus you can't add it - it is already there. i'm not sure how best to explain that one.

I guess this is the difference that I'm not seeing, since I do have a sim card in there. That issue could easily be fixed though with a PAYG sim card.
Sorry to bring this conversation up again out of the blue, but a year later I finally got a chance to test a second iPhone’s Continuity functions, and I remembered this conversation and thought I should update my findings.

In my tests, my main iPhone has an active line and is running iOS 14, and the second iPhone is not activated (WiFi only) and is running iOS 10.

I found that iMessage and FaceTime were fully functional on both and synced perfectly. Although for the second iPhone in FaceTime and Messages settings, it constantly said “waiting for activation”. Not sure if this affected battery life.

Calls and sms messages were successfully forwarded from the primary iPhone to the second iPhone. But I was not able to make calls or send sms messages from the second iPhone. Instead of going through the primary phone via continuity, the second phone seemed to want to make all calls and sms messages using its own cellular radio, which obviously failed as it doesn’t have an active line. Calls resulted in Verizon messages and sms messages failed to send.

Other continuity features were largely unsuccessful.

Handoff partially worked, but not to a useful degree. While my primary phone could open an app that was active on my secondary phone, it could not open the specific document or page. Ie. Notes.app would open but not the specific note I was working on, and Safari would open but no webpage would load. And while apps did partially handoff from the second phone to the primary phone, it did not handoff to either of my two iPads (also on ipadOS 14).

iCloud Safari tabs did not work.

Universal Clipboard did not work.

So those were the results. I couldn’t test all the continuity functions like Instant Hotspot, but I felt these were the most pertinent functions. ideally for the test, I would have had all the devices on the same iOS version just in case, but I have to keep the second phone on iOS 10 for the time being. But I could not find anything saying continuity features would not work across the two iOS versions, so the different versions were not likely the problem.

To conclude, unless apple has fixed this since iOS 10, a second iPhone has very limited continuity functionality. It seems using a second iPhone as an iPod touch is still too niche of a use case for Apple to make the effort to bring full continuity functionality to it. For me personally, I could probably deal with not having most of the continuity functions, but the dealbreaker is the inability to make calls or send sms messages.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I grabbed an iPhone 8 for 300 at target for the kiddo. Buying an iPod touch has always been silly.
Still waiting for a sale on IpT (mind you, not that I've been holding my breath on that :D). I've used my IpT primarly for gaming. At this point, for $300, I'd much rather just get a Nintendo Switch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.