Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Thats expected. The main appwal of a switch versus a ps or xbox is that you can anywhere. No need to hog the tv or wait for it to become avaivlr OR anti socially abandon your family to play upstairs in a bedroom.
Some of us didn't think handheld mode would be favored THAT overwhelmingly though! That's the difference.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I actually only play in handheld mode ... for me the Switch is next in line from GameBoy/GBA, DS series, PSP, and PS Vita. 95+% of my gaming is either Switch or Steam Deck.

This is what I've become over the last few years. Makes me wonder if I'll just stick with next-gen Switch and a Steam Deck or one of the Windows-based handhelds (ROG Ally, Legion Go, etc.) going forward.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
This is what I've become over the last few years. Makes me wonder if I'll just stick with next-gen Switch and a Steam Deck or one of the Windows-based handhelds (ROG Ally, Legion Go, etc.) going forward.
I'm really not a fan of Windows and have done very well playing nearly every game on the 'vanilla' Steam Deck, so I'm skipping the Ally & Go.

But for me I am going to be about 90/10 Steam Deck to Switch ratio this year (and the Switch is entirely latest Legend of Heroes game and Zelda TotK), so my priority is clear!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Merry Christmas! Did anyone get anything cool? I got upgraded to an OLED Switch and got these cool retro controllers to play classic SNES and N64 games, I'm already cruising in Mario 64.

IMG_0437.jpeg

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Every way - newbies screaming "my pirated Roms don't work " across every forum" or " I have got permanent banned and now cant play Fortnite" - Nintendo chasing legal stuff, suppliers and distributors caught in the cross fire etc etc etc

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Not good -

"
Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS cartridges use NAND flash for storage , not mask ROMs. Like all Flash memory, they "leak" charge over time and eventually lose data.

The Switch and 3DS card reader tells game cards to "refresh" themselves periodically. https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-3ds-cartridge-lifespan.591607/

But, some users are reporting cartridges already dying, especially ones they haven't used for years. I wonder which of mine already don't work.

Just a reminder that you don't own any data you can't back up. Buying physical cartridges and game cards isn't enough if they're using technology that inevitably deteriorates over time."

From Ksitaro Windrider

Further -

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/12dh9hh

Last edited:

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Not good -

"
Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS cartridges use NAND flash for storage , not mask ROMs. Like all Flash memory, they "leak" charge over time and eventually lose data.

The Switch and 3DS card reader tells game cards to "refresh" themselves periodically. https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-3ds-cartridge-lifespan.591607/

But, some users are reporting cartridges already dying, especially ones they haven't used for years. I wonder which of mine already don't work.

Just a reminder that you don't own any data you can't back up. Buying physical cartridges and game cards isn't enough if they're using technology that inevitably deteriorates over time."

From Ksitaro Windrider

Further -

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/12dh9hh
I think this is known thing but thank you much for bringing this up. I mean i do know for a fact that usb sticks die out if you are not using them as well as people never recommend to backup into ssd for the same reason. I would never think the same for switch but here we are.

Fast access storage items do need to power on and read to keep them healthy. Hdd on the other hand do not need constant power on.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
That Prince of Persia is rather good - like a modern day Strider and some amazing combos with the fluid controls.
Surprisingly good return to beginning for Prince of Persia series. Great to have a dedicated game for a switch which looks no worse than bigger console versions.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
With that mig switch cart out in the wild now is the 2nd hand switch game market in trouble as how can you tell if N will ban you online for playing a 2nd game that someone has already cloned ?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
With that mig switch cart out in the wild now is the 2nd hand switch game market in trouble as how can you tell if N will ban you online for playing a 2nd game that someone has already cloned ?
Latest news is that Walmart is stopping the sale of physical xbox games rendering the disk reader useless in current gen xboxes as the new one is coming fully digital.

I think the world in itself is moving towards gating us to digital only form of gaming.

I can see the same happening in a 2nd hand world of N - places like gamestop just might stop accepting or selling used games at all and facebook marketplaces will still be a place with no guarantees assumed just like with any other purchase(cars especially) so people would have to calculate the risks.

For myself, I only buy on sales($30-$40) and new, because used prices are not better where am I. But interested to see how it all unfolds.

Reactions: txa1265

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I think the world in itself is moving towards gating us to digital only form of gaming.
It was just a matter of time. The PC/Mac/Linux gaming is already digital only. The games, that came out on DVDs in the past decade were already been connected to a Steam or other stores (EA, Ubisoft Store etc.), you could not install them/finish the install, if you didn't link them to an account. That did also mena, that one could not sell the used games anymore. The used PC games market after 2010s was more or less dead for these then new titles.

In the later years, there were no DVDs anymore in the package, just a printed code inside the small paper box.

And now the console gaming world is going that same route.

Reactions: ctjack

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
It was just a matter of time. The PC/Mac/Linux gaming is already digital only. The games, that came out on DVDs in the past decade were already been connected to a Steam or other stores (EA, Ubisoft Store etc.), you could not install them/finish the install, if you didn't link them to an account. That did also mena, that one could not sell the used games anymore. The used PC games market after 2010s was more or less dead for these then new titles.

In the later years, there were no DVDs anymore in the package, just a printed code inside the small paper box.

And now the console gaming world is going that same route.
Shame the lack of physical cost hasn't been translated to cheaper games !

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Shame the lack of physical cost hasn't been translated to cheaper games !

Not sure if you're old enough to remember the vinyl to CD transition - it was widely stated in the industry that the price parity at the beginning was due to recouping R&D and initial higher production costs that would ramp down from the normal ~$12-15 for a vinyl album to $10 ... which, of course, never happened. What DID happen was they got people used to paying the same, then slowly actually INCREASED prices to $15 for everything.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Just an update, people are expecting Nintendo to hold their next share holders meeting in May with fiscal results and projections for the next financial year, so IF they plan on launching their next console in this new financial year, they have to tell investors and their is a high chance they’ll announce it next month. Now weather there just a mention of predicting these sales as we are releasing a new console, or a full reveal is anyone’s guess. Or they may now announce it and release it in the next financial year starting in 2025, who knows, or maybe they’ll mention it at another investors meeting.
Its kinda time they announced something though really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.