Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is 100% correct. It's a bit frustrating that so many people fail to see this, they always resort to the easy but insufficient answers like "underpowered", "kiddy", "gimmicky" etc. The 3DS proves that it is the games that sell the hardware, not the specs.
And yet the Wii U is languishing sales wise despite launching a year earlier.

The Nintendo faithful will support a device, but not in the numbers that make it an attractive proposition for 3rd party developers or mass consumers.

Likewise the 3DS exists almost in a bubble, it isn't competing with a rival Sony or Microsoft device. It has carved out a niche for itself and is very successful in that, but handheld and home console success are not mutually inclusive.

That's the difference.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

The Nintendo faithful will support a device, but not in the numbers that make it an attractive proposition for 3rd party developers or mass consumers.

Likewise the 3DS exists almost in a bubble, it isn't competing with a rival Sony or Microsoft device. It has carved out a niche for itself and is very successful in that, but handheld and home console success are not mutually inclusive.

That's the difference.
The 3DS's only rival at the moment is iOS.

The rest of what you said is totally correct. The numbers were not there at launch because of the Nintendo screw up I mentioned earlier. Once bitten, twice shy. The Nintendo faithful even baulked at buying the WiiU at launch. As you can probably guess I am a Nintendo fan. But even I did not buy the WiiU on launch. No games I wanted. I only bought a WiiU later on when there was a deal with a free pro controller. I did go to the midnight WiiU maunch though. Enjoyed the free Krispy Kremes and pizza. Came home with no WiiU console and was happy with that decision. The WiiU was the first Nintendo console that I purchased later then launch day. The NES, my folks bought for me, the SNES I won, the N64/GC/Wii I bought all on launch day. The WiiU on the other hand I bought months later.

At least a few of the 3rd parties are rumoured to be in for the NX launch. That is a start.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010

That's the difference.

The 3DS is (or at least was) competing with Sony's much more powerful PS Vita and it's been completely crushing it, which is why I pointed out how it proves that specs aren't what sell devices. There's nothing odd about thinking that can be true for consoles too, especially since it historically has been. The current console generation is the first since at least the fourth where the most powerful console is the most successful and the weakest console is the least successful.
I don't even understand what your points about the Wii U (which are all valid btw) has to do with my post.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I was a huge Nintendo fan a couple of years ago, and I'm actually pretty pumped for this. I've got a few wishes for this:
-VR support. VR is supposedly the future of gaming, and if Nintendo deliver something like this, it would be awesome.
-Oculus touch style controllers. I think what Oculus are doing is pretty cool. Instead of having one controller, have half a controller for each hand, giving you the freedom to move them wherever you want. Kinda like remote and nunchuck, but better.
-Some form of portability. I heard a rumour saying that this was going to be a replacement for the 3DS and Wii U. Not sure how, but it would be nice.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
All I ask is new system does not truly need the monster controller to play the system. Its WiiU's biggest downside to me. Too many game require it for solo play. Some yeah I see the need. Kirby needs the pad for the stuff you do in claymation land. Some other games though.....just let me run the damned normal controller I have please as the pad offers nothing to add beside aggravation.

I personally hate it. So does my son. So when we do split screen playing like say splatoon sometimes it sucks being a good dad. I let him have the "normal" controller.

Besides that I actually like the WiiU. I see some innovation and risk taking on it. Like splatoon, I actually find it a refreshing entry into the FPS realm. And its not the rehashed crap EA pushes out. So what I am this time...oh wait it doesn't matter, its just a reskin and engine tweak from the last game.

Now the cash money grab of Mario creator.....well this is why I hate consoles in general. Coming from PC gaming you see the dev tools in part or even whole some time after release. You can work your magic for free. Or use other modders stuff.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was a huge Nintendo fan a couple of years ago, and I'm actually pretty pumped for this. I've got a few wishes for this:
-VR support. VR is supposedly the future of gaming, and if Nintendo deliver something like this, it would be awesome.

We're years off VR being amazing. Right now it's good for simpler looking games. Which is good! But a huge pull for VR is being immersed in games and that's going to take some serious hardware. It won't even happen this gen with the PS4, but in a few years when todays high-end GPUs are cheaper and can be shrunk down for console use is when VR will likely take off.

(I say this as a VR enthusiast. The tech is incredible but it's very very early days still)

Now the cash money grab of Mario creator.....well this is why I hate consoles in general. Coming from PC gaming you see the dev tools in part or even whole some time after release. You can work your magic for free. Or use other modders stuff.
Well yeah, console games generally don't allow modding and don't offer tools. Consoles are more closed systems. But then again those tools aren't as user friendly as Mario Maker or LBP which also come with full games included, and networking features.

I don't begrudge consoles for offering a more standardised and simplified experience I guess.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
We're years off VR being amazing. Right now it's good for simpler looking games. Which is good! But a huge pull for VR is being immersed in games and that's going to take some serious hardware. It won't even happen this gen with the PS4, but in a few years when todays high-end GPUs are cheaper and can be shrunk down for console use is when VR will likely take off.

(I say this as a VR enthusiast. The tech is incredible but it's very very early days still)

It doesn't have to happen immediately. The PlayStation 4 came out in 2013 and the PlayStation VR isn't coming out until 2016. And I don't think Microsoft are doing it at all with the Xbox within the next few years as they are against the whole VR future of gaming thing. There's no rush.
Anyway, I disagree. I'm getting a Gear VR for Christmas, and I'm pretty pumped. I guess I can't make any decisions until I've tried it for real, but I tried one back in June and I was blown away. Sure, it's incomplete, and it's not as good as it can be, but it's a huge step up from the conventional games we have today.
But I see where you're coming from. I can't wait to try out VR in a few years when we have monster GPUs and high-res displays.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It doesn't have to happen immediately. The PlayStation 4 came out in 2013 and the PlayStation VR isn't coming out until 2016. And I don't think Microsoft are doing it at all with the Xbox within the next few years as they are against the whole VR future of gaming thing. There's no rush.
Anyway, I disagree. I'm getting a Gear VR for Christmas, and I'm pretty pumped. I guess I can't make any decisions until I've tried it for real, but I tried one back in June and I was blown away. Sure, it's incomplete, and it's not as good as it can be, but it's a huge step up from the conventional games we have today.
But I see where you're coming from. I can't wait to try out VR in a few years when we have monster GPUs and high-res displays.
The headset tech itself is wonderful, it's just the rendering abilities. Because you're rendering the same image twice you're effectively doubling your GPU requirement. That, plus you really need AA with VR... it's very expensive. I think we'll definitely be getting more games like Rez for the remainder of this generation.

I don't think Nintendo will push for this tech just yet.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The 3DS's only rival at the moment is iOS.

At least a few of the 3rd parties are rumoured to be in for the NX launch. That is a start.

I just got a used 3DS XL at Gamestop on sale for $99 w/ a 1 yr warranty. I wanted to try it out and could return it within 7 days if I didn't like it. Turns out I love it (I had bought some games already as I am a collector).

I grew up with 3D Viewmasters so the 3D is really cool, as well as having real buttons I don't think it really is the same audience as iOS. I don't think people would give an average youngster an expensive iPhone or iPad for games.

I even downloaded the game, "Edge" which I had just bought on AppleTV. Playing it on an AppleTV in 2D with the Siri remote is abysmal. Playing it on a 3DS with real buttons AND in actual 3D is really cool.

Playing DS games on it with the larger screen is finally the way to play them (I have a DS Lite all these years).

I'm looking forward into 3D digital photography with it.

The 3DS is (or at least was) competing with Sony's much more powerful PS Vita and it's been completely crushing it, which is why I pointed out how it proves that specs aren't what sell devices. There's nothing odd about thinking that can be true for consoles too, especially since it historically has been. The current console generation is the first since at least the fourth where the most powerful console is the most successful and the weakest console is the least successful.
I don't even understand what your points about the Wii U (which are all valid btw) has to do with my post.

The Vita is a different audience. I got a Vita TV but only a few of my Vita games (again, a collector and wanted to get physical copies as Sony has discontinued a bunch of them) work with it. I'll probably get a Vita when they're $99 used on sale.

Sadly screams gimmick. Nintendo need a straight up home console sans gimmicks if they are ever going to recapture an audience and developer support. PS4 & Xbox One (but especially PS4) sales clearly indicate people just want a decent powerful home console.

Leading to the NX, Nintendo has been known for innovative features on their consoles. The Wii U was a bit ahead of its time as the controller, in my opinion, is way too big. I also heard that Nintendo should have released the Wii U with just the Pro controller instead, but then it would have just been another "standard run-of-the-mill" console (though it probably have more support, but just ports of XBox and Playstation games).

The original rumors had the NX with a handheld DS type of controller, but I don't think I would want that as I would rather just use an actual DS.

I like the latest one with the shaped screen as it would be cool to show what the buttons do for the different games and the cool physical buttons.

The latest NX rumors makes it look simple yet innovative. I hope they can get the costs down so that it will come in at $249 and the controllers around $60 (which wouldn't be too bad for a controller like that). I hope they keep the physical copies of games (cheap solid state memories maybe they can go back to cartridges or chips like the 3DS).

If this is the NX system, I'm in line for one... :)

Nintendo+NX

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Leading to the NX, Nintendo has been known for innovative features on their consoles. The Wii U was a bit ahead of its time as the controller, in my opinion, is way too big. I also heard that Nintendo should have released the Wii U with just the Pro controller instead, but then it would have just been another "standard run-of-the-mill" console (though it probably have more support, but just ports of XBox and Playstation games).
I agree totally but the WiiU taught Nintendo so much. All the rookie mistakes came with the WiiU. Now Nintendo have learned from them and can make the NX amazing. Withouth the gamepad or the WiiU as it is now, Nintendo would not have learnt from it's mistakes and might have made them with the NX.

I do think Nintendo's recent patents are not exactly what we will see in the NX, just possibilites and ideas we could see in part on the NX. For me though, the NX hardware could be amazing but if there's no great 1st party on launch I will not buy it. There was none witht he WiiU, hence it was the first Nintendo console ever I did not bou at launch.

I do think the NX controller still needs physical buttons. Emulating buttons with a touch screen is just not the same. You can't rest your fingers on the screen like you can with physical buttons. But 3D/force touch is a solution. Only a force touch would register a virtual button press. So you could lightly rest your fingers on the screen. I do not think Nintendo will do force touch though. Too expensive to put into their controller and Apple have the **** patented out of force touch. I don't think anyone can use force touch without paying Apple royalty fees or get sued.

Overall though I like the way these Nintendo patents are going thuogh. The NX should be amazing. And ti should not be too long till we find out info about. Nintendo has said repeatedly that 2016 is the year of NX info. Probably E3 I guess. We do know a few 3rd partys like SquareEnix are on board with NX.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
haha, you could be waiting 2 years yet you know? But get yourself hyped :D

Will be veeerrrryyyyy interesting to see what Ninety come up with this time, I think we all know it will be powerful and have full HD gaming, well it better do for Nintendo's sake. But what other things will it offer?

I mean Sony have it's VR headset date for sale set, plus it's camera, Xbox has Kinect etc..

Yeah, will be watching with interest.

I am just hoping it comes with a power cord. :) . I admit the lack of ability to get another primary controller and the fact that they didn't put a power supply in with the New 3DS has turned me off on Nintendo, so might skip them this time around. It will have to be something I just can't pass up with better online ability and better 3rd party support.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I am just hoping it comes with a power cord. :) . I admit the lack of ability to get another primary controller and the fact that they didn't put a power supply in with the New 3DS has turned me off on Nintendo, so might skip them this time around. It will have to be something I just can't pass up with better online ability and better 3rd party support.

I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed.

According to this new article, Nintendo also has a mobile initiative going on:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165921-Nintendo-Boss-Discusses-2016-NX-Plans

The NX is supposed to position itself below the Wii U and come in around $199.

Maybe you can download the Nintendo games you bought on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet) and continue playing at home on the console? Use mobile devices as extra screens or controllers?

You may be able to get NX games that would be "upwards" compatible with the Wii U.... :eek:

That would be cool... :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed.

According to this new article, Nintendo also has a mobile initiative going on:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165921-Nintendo-Boss-Discusses-2016-NX-Plans

The NX is supposed to position itself below the Wii U and come in around $199.

Maybe you can download the Nintendo games you bought on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet) and continue playing at home on the console? Use mobile devices as extra screens or controllers?

You may be able to get NX games that would be "upwards" compatible with the Wii U.... :eek:

That would be cool... :)
As much as this seems like a good idea it does not feel very Nintendo at all.
Always in the past Nintendo's next console was an improvement on the past. Nintendo never has a new budget option for newer consoles. (re-releases of older consoles excepted). I see the NX replacing the WiiU as a hardware option. But the NX will still play WiiU discs though and will be compatable with the gamepad.
I don't think this will be a separate under clocked (to the Wii spped) partition like the WiiU has for Wii discs. I think the NX will play the WiiU discs using all of the NX's cpu and gpu grunt.

The big question is will the NX still work witht he wiimote? FOr the most part I will say there's no need, the Wiimote is dead. But games like the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the WiiU VC that require the Wiimote make me think that the NX might still support the Wiimote. I can't see the WiiU digital purchases not transfer over to the NX (like how many of the Wii digital purchases did not transfer over to the WiiU). I think Nintendo remade the digital arena for the WiiU specifically so it will enver have to be remade on future consoles . . . well for a long while at least.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This makes sense but also makes the wnole New 3DS a little baffling as very few games require a New 3DS and it's released so close to the NX portable part.

Yep 2 .... 2 excluding New 3DS titles since launch !!! Got to say other than improved 3D viewing the NEW 3DS is nothing but a disappointment for what it offers over the previous.

Plus the 3DS is the Nintendo strong seller, should they replace it 2016 when its their console that is pretty much stalled and due a replacement.

With a 3DS, New 3DS, 2DS all competing - does nintendo's handheld market need diluting right now with another handheld this year ? I don't think so.

As for home console, by 2017 PS4 & XB1 sales levels will be so high & with such a large back catalogue that you have to query whether 2017 NX home console will have any real momentum, especially if it doesn't provide at least some power improvements over those. Something with a big ?? Likewise if they release 2017 - you know it's really 2018 before we see reasonable amount of content. Where will the PS4 & XB1 be by then ?

In fact there is still too much ambiguousness.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Yep 2 .... 2 excluding New 3DS titles since launch !!! Got to say other than improved 3D viewing the NEW 3DS is nothing but a disappointment for what it offers over the previous.

Plus the 3DS is the Nintendo strong seller, should they replace it 2016 when its their console that is pretty much stalled and due a replacement.

With a 3DS, New 3DS, 2DS all competing - does nintendo's handheld market need diluting right now with another handheld this year ? I don't think so.

As for home console, by 2017 PS4 & XB1 sales levels will be so high & with such a large back catalogue that you have to query whether 2017 NX home console will have any real momentum, especially if it doesn't provide at least some power improvements over those. Something with a big ?? Likewise if they release 2017 - you know it's really 2018 before we see reasonable amount of content. Where will the PS4 & XB1 be by then ?

I think that Nintendo still wants to support the Wii U and 3DS for a time.

The NX will be their new platform going forward. Plus, it will be positioned with a friendlier price (like when the Gamecube was launched in the US it came in at $200).

The mistake with the Wii U was the launch price ($350 for the one with enough memory). It was like the PS3 debacle at $500 & $600 (the joke was you could by a new XBox 360 for $300 and have money to buy a Wii for $250)

IMHO, the handheld NX unit will be $200, the console component at $99 a year later with the price of the handheld going down to $149.

We will see soon as time goes on - it will be interesting.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010

I actually think it's good that the New 3DS doesn't get much exclusive content. I don't see it as a completely new system, I see it simply as the new version of the current system, kind of like how the DSi wasn't a new system but just the last update of the DS system family.
As I see it, owners of the classic 3DS shouldn't feel like they now have an obsolete system and be forced to get the New (even though many, including me, did) and the New shouldn't be considered the successor to the classic but rather the market replacement.
In light of this, I don't consider 3DS, New 3DS and 2DS competing with each other, they're simply different versions of the same system sold at different price points (like Apple with iPhone 6S, 6 and 5S).

As for home consoles, the one and only chance for the NX to gain the momentum it needs is to have lots of strong launch titles, both 1st and 3rd party but 1st party is certainly the most important. If they have enough compelling exclusive 1st party launch titles to drive sales the 3rd party developers will stick around and continue supporting it, maintaining the momentum. This is where the Wii U completely failed and hopefully Nintendo has learned their lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wonder if we've already got the NX concept in the form of the Vita and VitaTV. A capable handheld system, but with a higher-res TV version.

I've been thinking on this split design, I don't think it'd be a case of the TV upscaling handheld content. Maybe, when a game is made, it's built for both platforms with the TV version having higher resolution assets. Maybe it's automated from a higher res source? Maybe a developer option could be handheld versions would running at 30fps and TV at 60.

If that's the case then we could get a Wii U-like experience but it now supports multiple connected systems rather than just 1 gamepad.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
How about just making a normal powerful console that connects to your tv, with regular controllers and some really strong 1st party Nintendo titles to launch with it? I would buy this in a heartbeat! Stop with the "innovative" gimmicks already! :eek:

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How about just making a normal powerful console that connects to your tv, with regular controllers and some really strong 1st party Nintendo titles to launch with it? I would buy this in a heartbeat! Stop with the "innovative" gimmicks already! :eek:
And going on sales figures that's exactly what people want.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
An interesting article:

"Nintendo NX: 5 Rumored Specs And Features That Can Destroy PS4 And Xbox One In 2016"

http://www.designntrend.com/article...nx-rumor-specs-features-ps4-xbox-one-2016.htm

With the XBox One and PS4 already out for a while, graphics on the NX can be on-par with those. Though I fail to see how the graphics on the Wii U were considered "horrible" with games such as Pikmin 3.

I find that going back to carts interesting - why not? I recently got a 32Gig SD card for $5. No optical drive to break down.

Heck the cheap laptop i'm writing this on has all solid state memory - boots lightning fast.

Latest rumor is that the NX will be unveiled at E3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.