Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I really must know, is there even one person out there that hasnt had any problems with their Mighty Mouse? And I'm not talking about a user that just got it a couple weeks ago because we've all been in that boat, when it seems like such an awesome mouse....I'm talking to the people that have had it for 5-6 months minimum and now have a clogged up scroll ball all the time.

Even if you can clean it out properly, once it happens, it's going to happen again and again. It never scrolls like it did in the beginning again.

I have 3 of these. And our office has a total of 3...out of the 6, one is flawless because the computer is 3 weeks old, one (mine at home) is starting to get stuck here and there, i can tell i'll be having problems soon...and the others are all in the same boat: Can barely scroll down, if you clean it it seems like it will scroll but then you flip it back over and it barely does without force.

Once this happens, is there basically no turning back? It seems like they get to that point where they may have a bit of dust/dirt in them and there is no way to ever get back to that nice smooth scroll you once had. I always make sure to have clean hands when using these things and that doesnt help.

I hate these things. I really do. When they are new, absolutely wonderful..but everyone I've talked to gets to this same problem eventually and I think that's crap. Apple has to know about this, have they done any kind of redesign on the inside to try and avoid it? Do they do anything for users in this situation?

Is there any way inside of these to clean them nicely? It seriously bums me out.

Take out your Mighty Mouse agression here, and share your stories.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Hmm, yes i agree the same problem occurs here. My solution was to turn it upside down and visciously scroll the ball around :) It still clogs up but the agression has built up just enough to fix it again! apple must provide a scroll ball cleaning device!!!!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
hellodon said:
I really must know, is there even one person out there that hasnt had any problems with their Mighty Mouse?

Yes, me. I have had mine since day one and it works wonderfully. Sorry to hear that you have had such issues, issues that I am aware exist.. guess I have been lucky or blessed with ultra squeaky clean hands... which is not true.. wouldn't even lick my mouse on a dare.. well maybe just once ;)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
My brand new one has problems. I am getting a replacement from Apple soon, the right click works sometime and sometimes it doesn't work.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
In this lab full of iMacs with Mighty Mice, a few are a little sticky, but most scroll pretty smoothly. The lab was set up in January, and wasn't used for most of the summer, but gets used pretty heavily during classes.

motomullet

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
I took my wired one apart and cleaned it out when it got bad.

My new bluetooth one is flawless... for now...

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Mhm, I'm still using mine because I like the look of the thing, but they feel cheaply made in general and I can understand the frustrations of those who have the ball problem - I hope mine doesn't go down that road.

Apple need to totally redesign their keyboard and mouse offerings.

da5id

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
If you're cleaning the mouse a lot, try cleaning the surface you use the mouse on. It's obviously picking the dirt up there, and as many desks are dark, they hide grim and dirt build up.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I was going to create a thread about this when I spotted this one in the Forum Spy.

I have had my new iMac for about a month. The mighty mouse recently has had difficulty scrolling upward. I thought about calling Apple but I figured maybe I had greasy paws or something. I sometimes eat at the computer, but I don't think I did anything in particular that would cause it to clog up.

For those of you who have said you cleaned it or taken it apart, how did you do so?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Macbook owner without a mouse's opinion: Having dirty stuff on your hands->mouse leads me to queiry what you guys have been using your computers for:rolleyes:

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
The day the MM was first announced, I ordered it.

So I have a first gen MM

and yes, I hate it.

After about two months or so the scroll ball stopped working. I posted a nasty thread on here like most people, and complained....then I took some paper towels, got them slightly damp...took my MM turned it upside down and rubbed the hell out of it on the damp paper towl. Then I waited for it to dry a bit and start scolling with my finger, really DIGGIng into the ball thing..and it has been good to go since then..

That being said, the mouse IMO is so poorly designed, the only good thing about it is that it looks cool.

Right clicking is not a quick and easy 'click...it's just not. I work on a nasty little Dell, slow as heck and the stock mouse is so nice compared to the MM..."why don't you just go get a mouse at Best Buy then?"

Because the MM looks cool, I paid out the Ass for it, and I'm stubborn.

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
had mine since april and its now knackered on the down scroll:mad: do apple just replace them, or is it considered a wear and tear item?

petite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
I have two MMs and I love them. I also have a bluetooth one but it is kinda laggy but I think it is because I have a crappy bluetooth dongle.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Using it since February, I guess I did a bit of cleaning only once since then, about a month ago. I cannot complain.

I don't use the right click, for some reason I prefer control-click. I feel single button is more ergonomic to avoid carpal tunnel and such, so I cannot say much about its right click sensitivity. However, I do use the scroll ball as the third button in Safari to open links in new tab.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
I dont even own a mac yet and I hate these biatch a$$ mice! Nearly every time I have used one in an apple store or a reseller thay have been broken! I know it could just be that many people mis treat it but I still hate them and have a new mouse ready for my new imac..

Lil Red

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
it would be alright if it didn't have that stupid ball in the middle of it. That thing is obnoxious!

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
I used to like it until it clogged. Now it's like a useless original Apple mouse. The scrolling function is disabled and now there's a useless ball on top of my mouse. It won't clean anymore.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've used one on a friend's iMac for about twenty minutes or so and found it incredibly frustrating as well feeling really flimsy. Really disappointing.

Give me the old-skool one-button mouse. They can take a beating; which is what they get day in, day out at work... should have stocked up on them 'cos I know everyone else would rather use them as well.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Zwhaler said:
My brand new one has problems. I am getting a replacement from Apple soon, the right click works sometime and sometimes it doesn't work.

(Quoting myself) Ihave since gotten the replacement and it works perfectly. I really like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.