Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
munkle said:
These threads always seem to pop every once in awhile but I'm a fan of them so I'll play along :)

AirStumbler: wireless network discover tool. I prefer it to MacStumbler.
Backlight: allows screensavers to be used as desktops, works great with MarineAquarium ;)
WClock: menu bar clock with pop down calendar, now that Calendarclock/MenuCalendarClock has become shareware.
iCal Birthday Shifter: takes birthdays from Address Book and makes them into events in iCal.
iGetMovies: copies Quicktime movies from the iTMS and Safari to your desktop.
iPhoto Buddy: allows you to make multiple iPhoto libraries. Indispensible app which makes iPhoto that much better.
JAlbum: generates photo galleries for your website. Who needs .mac? ;)
Quicksilver : application launcherx10. Closest thing to Spotlight at the moment. Greatest freeware app full stop.
TinkerTool: gives you access to additional preferences settings.
VLC: for all your multimedia needs.
Onyx: maintenance app.
MacUpdate: last but not least, the place to get all your freewares/sharewares!

That should be do for now! ;) :p I'm a big fan of the Mac developer scene, and am constantly amazed at the quality of the freeware/shareware apps available. Download and support them people! :)

Screensaver on my desktop?? I just installed it and it is awsome!! Thx

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Since it reacently became freeware I have to include TextWrangler from BareBones, an exellent free alternative to BBEdit, also from Bare Bones. This one doesn't suck,® either... ;)

Also second, Adium X, which is so much better than Adium was... best multi protocol IM software I've found so far...

HydroMan

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2004
Luton. Lutonshire.
stepbasin said:
Ok, here you go, my list of "Must Have" free apps: .......
Gimp: A very poor man's photoshop.

Anyway, thats all. Let me know what you think of my list.

I'd have to disagree Gimp is a powerful app I love it and compared to PS it's a steal. It's free and if your a hobbyist like me that alone is unbeatable, I could never justify spending $649 for just touching up the odd photo, Gimp is invaluable if you like to make your own calendars, invites, birthday cards, spoof pictures etc, I used to use Corel Draw/Photo-Paint8 until I upgraded to OSX and can say Gimp is far superior to them, I'm not having ago at you I just think the term "very" would put off a lot of non/semi pro's from trying it.
System optimizer is shareware-$12
Cocktail is a demo prices start from $14.95 - $699-(ok thats for a worldwide licence :D )
Konfabulator is shareware-$24.95

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
what about this?

iPulse is a nice little app. I use it as a clock/system monitor.

"Using its concise and pleasing user interface, iPulse graphically displays the inner workings of Mac OS X on the desktop or in the dock. The entire user interface is completely configurable so you can turn off gauges you don't want, leaving only what you are interested in for easy viewing."

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
camomac said:
iPulse is a nice little app. I use it as a clock/system monitor.

"Using its concise and pleasing user interface, iPulse graphically displays the inner workings of Mac OS X on the desktop or in the dock. The entire user interface is completely configurable so you can turn off gauges you don't want, leaving only what you are interested in for easy viewing."

It's not free.........

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I use VLC, Gimp, and SKYPE and Wiretap, altough streamRipper (which i discovered here) Seems much better cos it breaks up the tracks for you. I bought AirFoil, cos its a great concept. but there is a delay, so its sux for dvds and stuff.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
the other synergy

synergy
Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).
thx to markoibook for directing my attention to it in this thread.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't know if this was listen but i was browseing the apple downloads page and came across this
it puts a mini ical icon in the task bar. Once clicked, a mini calender pops up and u can hover over the dates and it shows whats scheduled. I like because it shows the real date in the task bar for easy refference. Check it out

MacBandit

macrumors 604
puckhead193 said:
I don't know if this was listen but i was browseing the apple downloads page and came across this
it puts a mini ical icon in the task bar. Once clicked, a mini calender pops up and u can hover over the dates and it shows whats scheduled. I like because it shows the real date in the task bar for easy refference. Check it out

Not free.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I don't think this one has been mentioned.... I think Microsoft's Remote Desktop is a wonderful app. I have had my iBook for almost a year now and Remote Desktop was one of the major reasons I decided to delve into the Mac world. I go to a college with abundant wireless access and I can basically use my Mac as both a Mac and PC (Remote Desktop allows you to remotely log in to a windows machine). And don't just on me for this.....there are some programs at school we have to use that are Windows only.... :rolleyes:

Microsoft Remote Desktop: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...ate_103.xml&secid=80&ssid=10&flgnosysreq=True

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
DaveP said:
I think Microsoft's Remote Desktop is a wonderful app.
Agreed, this is a very handy app. Unfortunately, when I tried it a few months ago, it wouldn't work for me. It took me a while to figure out why. The answer: All the PCs I wanted to connect to have Symantec pcAnywhere installed, and that prevents Microsoft's app from working, whether by design or for some technical reason. So I can't control the PCs as I'd hoped.

Sox

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Wiretap

I'm looking to copy a NPR feed tomorrow (Saturday) night, so I checked out the Wiretap link from the first page. Times have changed, it seems, and now there is only Wiretap Pro, which costs $20. Is there another (free) program available that will allow me to record a netradio feed?

Thanks.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Disctop Light
Normally when you insert a CD in your Mac it disappears, but where does it go? They simply pop up on your desktop! After installing Disctop, your inserted CD or DVD slides in from the side and neatly fades back into your desktop picture. Now you always know if there's a disc inside, and what type it is.
The lite version is free.

I learned about it from forum member Lau.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Bluephone Elite

Haven't seen this mentioned although maybe I missed it -

Bluephone Elite - it's beta; let's you control your bluetooth phone from your mac. Many useful features.

Bluephone Elite

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.