Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
That’s interesting. Audio has worked OOTB for me on every PowerPC laptop I’ve tried OpenBSD on. Confirmed working on an IBook Dual USB 500 MHz, Dual USB 800 MHz, Dual USB 900 MHz, PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz, and PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz.

Worked on both an iBook clamshell and Mac mini with 0 configuration for me as well. Sndio rocks.

sqeeezy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
spain
A week ago I installed 6.7 on my Titanium Powerbook 3,5 1GHz DVI. Multi partition, Tiger, Leopard, and borked scraps of void and adélie. Made USB stick as per instructions and booted in OF as usb0/disk@1.
Installation smooth except I was bemused by how to point the installer to the files on the stick and wasted time with unnecessary stalling downloads before I engaged cerebrum and restarted the install and let it find the files.
Not glaringly obvious, but I'm not complaining.
To boot from the installed partition required me to locate an obscure [SOLVED] forum query, what's new...it was the only place which said I'd have to specify the partition number, well, ok, yeah, sort of obvious.
My boot prescription turned out to be boot hd:13,ofwboot, determined by sequentially advancing through the wastelands of my hd.
The desktop is refreshingly archaic, (archaic=good, I love Plan9), with xterm's spidery font, but last night I stuck xfce on there and I'm in the process of seeing how useable my lovely old, excellent build quality TiBook can be.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The desktop is refreshingly archaic, (archaic=good, I love Plan9), with xterm's spidery font

I don't know if CDE even compiles on OpenBSD/macppc but it sure is archaic. Ran it on my Debianised iBook for the LOLs.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
These past 2 weeks I picked up my iBook G4 12" 1.07 Ghz with OpenBSD 6.6 again.

Got a recent GNS3 2.2.7 installed via pip3.7 (packages only have the older 0.85 release).
Source-compiled ubridge, with the package installed Qemu 4.1.0 and almost able to boot a Cisco vIOS QEMU image.

One strange thing GNS3 2.2.7 doesn't recognize the local GSN3 server, I have to run it as a Remote server on 127.0.01 LOL.

How easy or difficult would it be to clone my 6.6 install onto another iBook G4 (14" with more RAM and higher CPU speed) ?

Use DD as explained here ?

k24a1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
louisville, KY
i wasn't able to install xfce due to an issue with packages, and otter browser segfaults when i try to to search something in it. can anyone help me out? the computer is a PowerBook G4 from 2004 running openbsd 6.7

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Replaced GNU Nano with Pico (smaller size with less dependencies), sudo with doas, added the Surf Web Browser, and changed installing the sets to pull from server instead of CD (this will make USB installation easier).

@superlions16 If it's the 503 error, just try installing it again. As for the browser, a Segmentation fault is (to my understanding) due to a compilation issue. Right now, you can either try recompiling it from source, or try a different browser, like Surf, NetSurf, or Links.

There is also Firefox, but that segfaults on PowerPC too, last I checked.

Reactions: dextructor

backyardvoodoo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2016
Just installed 6.7-release on a Powerbook G4 12". Not having any luck with the browsers: surf and Epiphany display blank pages, while otter-browser segfaults. Is 6.8-current any better?

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Just installed 6.7-release on a Powerbook G4 12". Not having any luck with the browsers: surf and Epiphany display blank pages, while otter-browser segfaults. Is 6.8-current any better?

6.7 broke all of the above, 6.6 works fine. I never looked deeper into why this happened, I was quite disappointed since so much stuff broke.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
6.7 broke all of the above, 6.6 works fine. I never looked deeper into why this happened, I was quite disappointed since so much stuff broke.
That’s due to the base default compiler on macppc being switched from the elderly gcc to clang. Lots of ports seem to have been broken when that happened.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
For whatever it's worth, I don't bother with otter-browser anymore. I just use Dillo and if I need better rendering than Dillo can offer, I connect to a remote Web Rendering Proxy setup. I'm much more satisfied with this. Netsurf is another option.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
For whatever it's worth, I don't bother with otter-browser anymore. I just use Dillo and if I need better rendering than Dillo can offer, I connect to a remote Web Rendering Proxy setup. I'm much more satisfied with this. Netsurf is another option.

Otter-browser ran really well on my 300MHZ G3, even on this site.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Otter-browser ran really well on my 300MHZ G3, even on this site.

It would be nice if it worked. Might be worth grabbing a core dump and filing a bug report. Though I always found webkit based browsers very buggy, on both OpenBSD and Linux. I'm not surprised it broke.

Reactions: alex_free

backyardvoodoo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2016
I have now upgraded to 6.8-release. Actually the upgrade process has become really simple, all you need to run is sysupgrade -r, then pkg_add -u upon the reboot.

In 6.8-release both midori and otter-browser work with JavaScript OFF. Both crash otherwise. Surf still displays a blank screen.

Also the Broadcom WiFi adapter in my Powerbook G4 12" started to disconnect randomly with no way to bring it up. It was rock solid in 6.6 and 6.7.

Reactions: dextructor

sqeeezy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
spain
I upgraded to 6.8 last night on my 1GHz TiBook. The sysupgrade -r process was straightforward but after rebooting twice, in open firmware as usual, and logging in as usual, my xfce desktop froze upon opening terminal: the terminal window outline was drawn and then froze, so I wasn't able to do the pkg_add -u. I rebooted and tried again, same deal. I haven't done a lot with openBSD macppc yet, especially as its GUI performance has been so sluggish to Tiger or Leopard, which I have on partitions on there, so I haven't got round to faultfinding, especially as the TiBook's in an unheated room and it's getting cold in my mountain shack. It's a low priority, I'm posting to inform as much as to request help, but if there's any out there, cheers.

barf

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Hi thanks for the documentation here, trying to install OpenBSD on an eMac 1GHz here but the Radeon 7500 in it is giving problems with both 6.8 and 6.7, about to try 6.6 for good measure. The screen goes blank when attempting to load the radeon driver. Can get a console working by booting with 'boot -c' and 'disable radeondrm' but X would be nice.

dmesg logs "Unable to locate a BIOS ROM" but I've run "fw_update -a" to install the firmware, checked the supposed firmware image was in /etc/firmware/radeon/R100_cp.bin but same problem and out of ideas :-/ any help appreciated!

from dmesg:
Code:
bootpath: /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:/bsd
root on wd0a (832a9c14c449f519.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
initializing kernel modesetting (RV200 0x1002:0x5157 0x1002:0x5157 0x00).
[drm] *ERROR* Unable to locate a BIOS ROM
radeondrm0: 1024x768, 16bpp
wsdisplay0 at radeondrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)

1deadhead

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I've just installed 6.8 on my Powerbook G4 12" and the fan runs constantly around 6000 rpm. I don't seem to remember having the same issue on 6.6.

Is anyone else having this issue or is there a way to control the fans ?

Thanks

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I've got a 2010 MacBook Air that has several OS bootable via rEFInd. I've always struggled to get WiFi working with BSD variants but have no problem with Linux, so I'm assuming I'm just missing some drivers?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I've got a 2010 MacBook Air that has several OS bootable via rEFInd. I've always struggled to get WiFi working with BSD variants but have no problem with Linux, so I'm assuming I'm just missing some drivers?
Yeah it's probably a Broadcom chip and that company is notoriously unhelpful to open source projects. What's the output of 'dmesg' and 'ifconfig'?

NathanJHill

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
I've just installed 6.8 on my Powerbook G4 12" and the fan runs constantly around 6000 rpm. I don't seem to remember having the same issue on 6.6.

Is anyone else having this issue or is there a way to control the fans ?

Thanks

I noticed this happened on a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo when I installed 6.8, and I ended up replacing the thermal paste. Fans have returned to normal now. OpenBSD evidently has no means to throttle or control fans.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I noticed this happened on a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo when I installed 6.8, and I ended up replacing the thermal paste. Fans have returned to normal now. OpenBSD evidently has no means to throttle or control fans.
Were you running apmd?

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2021
Hey all, appreciate any help... I can't seem to get xfce to work/run.

I followed the instructions in the first post... when I run

sudo rcctl start xenodm

I am told it needs to run with the "-f" option. Okay.

When I do that, I don't get Xfce, I get a logon to FVMM, not Xfce

When I run

sudo startx

I get this...

Mac-mini-G4$ sudo startx xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "Mac-mini-G4.eureka:0" in "add" command X.Org X Server 1.20.8 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0 Build Operating System: OpenBSD 6.8 macppc Current Operating System: OpenBSD Mac-mini-G4.eureka 6.8 GENERIC#790 macppc Build Date: 06 October 2020 02:06:55AM Current version of pixman: 0.38.4 Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org to make sure that you have the latest version. Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown. (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Aug 11 22:28:31 2021 (==) Using system config directory "/usr/X11R6/share/X11/xorg.conf.d" (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled. (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/root/.serverauth.nUq8sDQLTa": Permission denied /root/.xinitrc[1]: xfce: not found xinit: connection to X server lost waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file. xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "Mac-mini-G4.eureka:0" in "remove" command

I made my the .xinitrc file... I don't know what I am doing wrong.

The computer in question is a Mac mini G4 w/ 1GB RAM running OpenBSD 6.8

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@danielktdoranie I haven't used OpenBSD/macppc nearly as much as I have Debian in the past, and I certainly haven't tried the newer releases of the former, either. From what I recall though, I believe I may have had success with sudo startxfce4.

That said, how have you configured your .xinitrc file? Given the above message /root/.xinitrc[1]: xfce: not found, you might want to try changing your "xfce" entry to "xfce4" instead, and see what happens.

I hope that was helpful.

Reactions: galgot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.