Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
32ACAAC5-279A-475B-A7D7-CDDE350B1DF3.jpeg

The Outer Worlds for PC and Console is reported to be very Fallout 4 like, it reminds me of a Borderlands visually. Is anyone playing this? I just purchased this, but wrapped up in Fallout 76, have not yet started it.

Epic Mega Sale till June 11: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/ I purchased the game for $38 plus got a coupon at the website for an additional $10 off, $28...
Coming to Steam 2020: https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds

C04C6E81-D4D6-4BDD-8D7F-C3E01535C68A.jpeg

EE449ECE-DA77-4E6B-AD8A-5FF2F8DB4562.jpeg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
is reported to be very Fallout 4
Actually its more like Fallout New Vegas, not FO4. There's no karma system in FO4, and in many respects your decisions won't shape the game - at least until the end and you finally decide to side with a faction, where as New Vegas and Outer Worlds your decisions do matter.

It's a great game, and I love playing it, its both visually stunning and has engaging game play. Kind of a short game, and the developer has promised a DLC, though who knows when we'll see that with this whole coronavirus stuff.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, I’m officially into this game, Other Worlds and loving it, the atmosphere, the music, and the dialog acting is great and makes me chuckle every so often. It reminds me in atmosphere of a solo Star Wars RPG, from years ago where I was on a planet maybe Corsicant, and there was an under city, (not an MMO) but I can’t remember the name.

In this game on the starter planet Talos 2, it is very forgiving, some might say combat is too easy, but it gets more challenging as you progress or so I’ve been told. ;) The story requires you to make choices that effect characters and their lives. And you can get two companions from the first planet to crew your ship.

My critique so far is no third person view, and no way to hide the HUD/interface.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It looks awful on Switch:

I have it for the PS4, but have not finished it. I think it loses too much steam after the first world and the ship to keep me engaged. Admittedly, I was never a fan of Fallout-style games, they are just too ‘lifeless’ and open to me. I much prefer RPGs like Mass Effect or The Witcher.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Any Firefly fans here? One of the characters Parvati, who you pick up on the first world as a companion talks just like Kaylee, with a best described folksy manner of talk'n. :)

It looks awful on Switch:

I have it for the PS4, but have not finished it. I think it loses too much steam after the first world and the ship to keep me engaged. Admittedly, I was never a fan of Fallout-style games, they are just too ‘lifeless’ and open to me. I much prefer RPGs like Mass Effect or The Witcher.
It's been a while, but Mass Effect seems to me to be similar to a Fallout Game, no? Maybe not as much action or story driven action in Fallout?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Obsidian, or Private Division (I'm not sure who produced the DLC) is all but done with the DLC and should be landing shortly.

I actually didn't watch much of the video, as I concerned about spoilers.

Juicehead was able to get some early access

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The second and last DLC is due to arrive shortly. I've reinstalled the game and started playing. I'll probably buy the game pass which gives me access to both DLCs at this point.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I started playing this on my PC and I forgot about well this game is designed and written. I took advantage of the sale and got the entire package, game and DLC. If I still had my PS4, maybe could have saved some money and bought the DLCs but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the PC, I cannot set the game to my native resolution (3440 x 1440), but I get close 2560 x 1440. After doing a bit of googling, there's the typical fix of editing the ini file, but results seem to be less then ideal. I can live with 2560 x 1440

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I started playing this on my PC and I forgot about well this game is designed and written. I took advantage of the sale and got the entire package, game and DLC. If I still had my PS4, maybe could have saved some money and bought the DLCs but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the PC, I cannot set the game to my native resolution (3440 x 1440), but I get close 2560 x 1440. After doing a bit of googling, there's the typical fix of editing the ini file, but results seem to be less then ideal. I can live with 2560 x 1440
I've been playing on the Steam Deck. Native resolution very high dips into the mid 20's when doing conversations.

Fun game (not very far into it I guess).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been playing on the Steam Deck
Enjoyable on the steam deck?

Its funny, but one main reason I moved mostly only to PC gaming from console gaming is that I had hard time sitting far away from the tv and seeing the text or details. I say this, because that was one of the reasons I had in not choosing the Steam Deck. Truth be told, I'm not a huge gamer as well, and while the technology is really cool, and I think I'd enjoy playing/putzing with it, I don't play enough games to justify the $$

Back to Outer Worlds, I really do like the idea of consequences for your decisions. Unlike Bethesda titles, where your decisions really won't materially impact the game (fallout 4) This game it does.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Enjoyable on the steam deck?

Its funny, but one main reason I moved mostly only to PC gaming from console gaming is that I had hard time sitting far away from the tv and seeing the text or details. I say this, because that was one of the reasons I had in not choosing the Steam Deck. Truth be told, I'm not a huge gamer as well, and while the technology is really cool, and I think I'd enjoy playing/putzing with it, I don't play enough games to justify the $$

Back to Outer Worlds, I really do like the idea of consequences for your decisions. Unlike Bethesda titles, where your decisions really won't materially impact the game (fallout 4) This game it does.
Example? If you don’t mind.
Fallout 4- there are very significant choices regarding faction alliances. If you follow the playbook, as a generality, it is pick a faction and 2 other factions die. This can only be manipulated by not following Bethesda’s script and leaving certain quests hanging unfinished.

When i played Outer Worlds I never got that in-game cozy feeling, I got with F4 so I quit it. I will admit that one game vs the other, much depends on an individual perspective, as to how much I can project myself into the game. F4 was the right fit for me, I felt “game environment” affection for some of my companions. :)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Example? If you don’t mind.
In the outer worlds, where you have a choice to try to convince the deserters to go back to vale. If you don't work on your reputation there, they won't go.

In fallout 4, there's no reputation or karma system like there is New Vegas. Yes in FO4 you pick a faction but the game doesn't really change, where as in Outer Worlds, it does.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm about halfway done (I think), as I just got the nav key to Stellar Bay. I'm mostly, a rifleman build, though I started it as a handgun build. I have a decent weapon, and I'm pretty happy, but I am wondering how hard/easy the game will be if I just go all in with a handgun build.

So I created a new character and with three stars in Dexterity and Perception, with the rest being average.

The game is really good by having to make sacrifices in some areas if you wish to reduce your character to below average. For instance, dropping Temperament down you lose the ability to regain health when not in combat. Dropping strength down impacts your TTD as there's a 100% penalty (also you can only carry 60kg).

Its a fun game, and I have a higher amount of points in persuade/lie/intimidate then my first, so I think I'll have more options.

The game does open up and allow different outcomes with the ability to pass speech checks, I missed out on different dialogs and what not already.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In the outer worlds, where you have a choice to try to convince the deserters to go back to vale. If you don't work on your reputation there, they won't go.

In fallout 4, there's no reputation or karma system like there is New Vegas. Yes in FO4 you pick a faction but the game doesn't really change, where as in Outer Worlds, it does.
But if they don’t go back to the vale, is that it, they don’t go back or does something else result from that decision?

You mentioned a Karma System in Fallout New Vegas, which sounds interesting and I may spin that up. I’ve read there are no romances in that. I may also jump back into Outer Worlds, no romance there, but there are companions who interact with you and your choices In the story.

In Fallout 4 your faction choices* result in people who may have been your friends becoming enemies and they die.
* There is a way to mitigate this.

In Cyberpunk2077, you can choose an ending for your character, and you can romantically pursue who you choose, although as far as I know you can pursue all of the available gender specific options (not nearly as many as F4 characters seem to be straight or gay, not sure about bi), but in the end (my experience) you get to pick from 2.

Regarding romances in any RPG that includes romance, as far as choice in the story, it would be more realistic if there were ramifications at some level for having established a romantic relationship, and then pursuing another.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been playing the game with my second character - the pistol build, I just finished the Vale, and most of the side quests on Stellar bay. I'm finding that its really hard to stick with a pistol build. I got a decent one from vale but the sniper rifles (you can steal really good one in stellar bay) is still much better.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been playing the game with my second character - the pistol build, I just finished the Vale, and most of the side quests on Stellar bay. I'm finding that its really hard to stick with a pistol build. I got a decent one from vale but the sniper rifles (you can steal really good one in stellar bay) is still much better.
In essence sniper rifles are excellent for distance killing, in most games, even Cyberpunk 2077, I carry one, but the pistol buffs which I consider completely unrealistic in CP2077 allows me to use it most of the time, the biggy is the buff that removes distance penalties. Most of the buffs in CP2077 are fantasy buffs no relationship to reality, although you could argue that with cyber-augmentation, some abilities might be possible, therefore acceptable not to break immersion, and I’ve accepted and enjoy the framework, not much different than accepting magic in a game. :)

As far as Outer Worlds, I’m not remembering how much benefit, XP gained buffs provide, but I do know typically in all of these games, for melee or close encounters, I carry a blade/shotgun (preferred semi-automatic) for room to room, pistol for 1shot- head shots, and a sniper rifle for long head shots.

Back in Fallout 4 I rejected using assault rifles/machine guns because of their ammo requirements, using a stealth/assassin build there, I had a super sniper rifle, and an outstanding pistol, no blade, and the stealth buffs were also at the fantasy level. :)

If you could refresh my memory, would you describe the Outer Worlds XP buffs as pretty typical over the top abilities? And are you forced to specialize or can be an effective Jack of all trades? I’ve added no rifle buffs in CP2077, yet my sniper rifle usually is effective for headshot kills.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In essence sniper rifles are excellent for distance killing
Oh I understand the difference between the two. Having a so called "space cowboy" build presents a completely different way to play. I'm usually the sniper and doing most of my shots from a distance. A pistol build requires a more up close and personal touch. Some games provide decent pistol builds. From what I can gather, its hard to get to a point in Outer Worlds where a given pistol will have similar damage stats as a rifle.

If you could refresh my memory, would you describe the Outer Worlds XP buffs as pretty typical over the top abilities? And are you forced to specialize or can be an effective Jack of all trades?
Outerworld is very much a game of choices and living with the consequences of those choices. If you start the game out with a generic non-specialized build, you set yourself up for frustration. You cannot alter the basic attributes once you set them.

To refresh your memory, you define your character and you add stars to various attributes, i.e., strength, dexterity, intelligence, perception, charm and temperament. If you basically set all of them to good, then you'll be hard pressed improve the skills part of the character. For instance wanting to be a sniper, you need to have high intelligence and perception, so you need to set strength, dexterity to a lower value. Basically, you lock yourself into a build before you even start playing the game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh I understand the difference between the two. Having a so called "space cowboy" build presents a completely different way to play. I'm usually the sniper and doing most of my shots from a distance. A pistol build requires a more up close and personal touch. Some games provide decent pistol builds. From what I can gather, its hard to get to a point in Outer Worlds where a given pistol will have similar damage stats as a rifle.

Outerworld is very much a game of choices and living with the consequences of those choices. If you start the game out with a generic non-specialized build, you set yourself up for frustration. You cannot alter the basic attributes once you set them.

To refresh your memory, you define your character and you add stars to various attributes, i.e., strength, dexterity, intelligence, perception, charm and temperament. If you basically set all of them to good, then you'll be hard pressed improve the skills part of the character. For instance wanting to be a sniper, you need to have high intelligence and perception, so you need to set strength, dexterity to a lower value. Basically, you lock yourself into a build before you even start playing the game.
Those attributes, strength, intelligence, etc, can’t be added to with XP accrual? In comparison with CP77, as you know, there are 6 attribute categories, out of 6, I maxed out 3 and dumped all the perk points in those attributes too, the vast majority based on XP accrual.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
can’t be added to with XP accrual?
Except for companions, there is no buff to increase XP. Its the ol' you get what you get and you don't get upset type set up. The skills allow you to perform better in game, such as using heavy guns, or long guns, or pass language checks but it doesn't improve xp

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.