Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Those attributes, strength, intelligence, etc, can’t be added to with XP accrual? In comparison with CP77, as you know, there are 6 attribute categories, out of 6, I maxed out 3 and dumped all the perk points in those attributes too, the vast majority based on XP accrual.
Some perks (and skills) can change the outcome of base stat allocation (like if your strength is too low you get encumbered more easily, there is a perk to improve that). But otherwise, no your base stats don't get improved via leveling (or at least I don't recall that being the case).

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will say XP does scale up as you level up, beginning of the game you may only get 100XP for a kill, and in some cases on Monarch, I'm getting like 600. Of course the more you level up, the more XP it takes to achieve the next level

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I will say XP does scale up as you level up, beginning of the game you may only get 100XP for a kill, and in some cases on Monarch, I'm getting like 600. Of course the more you level up, the more XP it takes to achieve the next level
What are you getting for your XP? I honestly don’t remember. :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What are you getting for your XP? I honestly don’t remember. :(
I'm on Monarch currently, and I'm getting about 300 to 600 per kill, and anywhere between 15,000 to 27,000 for quests

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been chugging along with Outer Worlds. I decided to do one of the DLCs - you need to do both DLCs before finishing the game.

There's two DLCS, the first is quite short I believe (I could be wrong) but the second is very involved. The Perils of Gorgon, has been very entertaining, its involved well written, doesn't break the lore and quite deep.

Just googling around, it seems that Outer Worlds sold 4 million, compare that to Fallout 4's 12 million you can see it's a decent number but not a great number. I think if they made Outer Worlds as large as fallout 4, the numbers would be higher, but that's just a wild guess.

Still, its been a fun game, and there's still a decent chunk for me to go through.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I finished the Perils Of Gorgon and that was a lot of fun, it added a richness to the overall lore of the game and it was generally quite engaging.

I just started the second DLC, and I can tell already its a completely different play through. Its more of a whodunnit, and so you need to gather clues and what not. I'm not really jazzed up about this, and it hasn't grabbed me but since I have it and I'm already invested in the game, I'll finish the DLC.

As for general game play, I'm disappointed to see that that the max level of Outer Worlds is 36. In some ways I went out of my way to shoot through situations, and use various speech checks because I got XP. Now that XP is just going off into the ether. I still need to complete the main quest line, but there's no more level up for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So I finished the Perils Of Gorgon and that was a lot of fun, it added a richness to the overall lore of the game and it was generally quite engaging.

I just started the second DLC, and I can tell already its a completely different play through. Its more of a whodunnit, and so you need to gather clues and what not. I'm not really jazzed up about this, and it hasn't grabbed me but since I have it and I'm already invested in the game, I'll finish the DLC.

As for general game play, I'm disappointed to see that that the max level of Outer Worlds is 36. In some ways I went out of my way to shoot through situations, and use various speech checks because I got XP. Now that XP is just going off into the ether. I still need to complete the main quest line, but there's no more level up for me.
That happened to me in CP2077 at 50/50- level/street cred and I was still a bad ass. :D

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That happened to me in CP2077 at 50/50- level/street cred and I was still a bad ass. :D
For me, character progression is an important part of the game - maybe its because I'm used to Bethesda games, but I like the idea that I'm always improving. A for instance, prior to hitting the max level, I'd explore a little more and basically shoot everything in sight - I gain XP for both. Now, I just skip that, since there's no benefit.

I understand given the game mechanics that you only have a set of amount of points to add to your skill tree and only handful of points for perks, but what's the harm in loading up the skill tree, its a fun part of the game.

As for game play, I'm not really enjoying the second DLC, its quite different then the game, and first DLC. The writing is good, the game play feels forced and the depth seems a bit shallower then the Perils of Gorgon. That is, its a smaller DLC. I'm like 80% through most of the game outside of the DLCs. I'll finish up the DLC probably later today or tomorrow, depending on my free time.

Overall I've really enjoyed the Outer Worlds and it was a good decision to buy it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For me, character progression is an important part of the game - maybe its because I'm used to Bethesda games, but I like the idea that I'm always improving. A for instance, prior to hitting the max level, I'd explore a little more and basically shoot everything in sight - I gain XP for both. Now, I just skip that, since there's no benefit.

I understand given the game mechanics that you only have a set of amount of points to add to your skill tree and only handful of points for perks, but what's the harm in loading up the skill tree, its a fun part of the game.

As for game play, I'm not really enjoying the second DLC, its quite different then the game, and first DLC. The writing is good, the game play feels forced and the depth seems a bit shallower then the Perils of Gorgon. That is, its a smaller DLC. I'm like 80% through most of the game outside of the DLCs. I'll finish up the DLC probably later today or tomorrow, depending on my free time.

Overall I've really enjoyed the Outer Worlds and it was a good decision to buy it.
As far as capping out, I remember when I hit L60 in World of Warcraft when that was the cap, asked myself why was I still playing this? ;)

A difference in a game like Cyberpunk2077 is that the story is finite, the story is structured to be resolved one way or another and then end, so at 50/50 (even less than that) you are well prepared to take on the best adversaries at hard difficulty. I think it would feel unrealistic if adversaries got harder, say average street thugs, just because you got better.

So personally I like that putting in the hard work early, allowed me to more or less sail though the ending, enjoying it, not gnashing my teeth on my 10th attempt.

Now for any DLC, I would think that character caps would rise, because leveling up seems to be an important mechanism contributing to player motivation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now for any DLC, I would think that character caps would rise, because leveling up seems to be an important mechanism contributing to player motivation.
The caps actually did rise.
I found out the game originally had a cap out at 30, then the Perils of Gorgon was released and the max was upped to 33, then the murder on eridanos came and again it was upped to 36.

As for the murder on eridanos. I completed that DLC as I posted, I was largely underwhelmed.

Murder on eridanos is just a bland who dunnit that had you running from place to place asking the canned questions. Combat was forced . And most frustrating is that you had to keep traveling to the penthouse to talk to the admin. That is, every time you questioned a person and/or found a clue you had to back to the penthouse and talk with himl. Then on leaving you had to endure two loading screens - one to get the main level of the hotel and then leave the hotel. That got old very quickly

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just finished the game this morning, and I wanted to say that the game was really fun, and I was pleasantly surprised that the ending cut scene that details the result of your actions included the DLC characters. A nice touch that is a rarity in the game world.

I played the game as I normally do, i.e., be the good player. I think it might be fun to play it and make all of the "wrong" decisions and be the evil player and see how things turn out, particularly with the ending cut scene :)

Reactions: Huntn and diamond.g

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Did anyone grab Spacers Choice DLC?

Spacers Choice isn't a DLC. It's a "Special Edition." And it is strongly recommended you do not buy it. Spacers Choice is absolutely cooked. They're charging full price for an objectively worse "remaster" that runs worse, is loaded with technical problems, and is just the same game but with some leveling adjustments.

The only reason Spacers Choice exists is because as you know Obsidian was bought by Microsoft years ago and is now a Xbox studio, which means Private Division the original publishers are about to lose the publishing rights to Outer Worlds as it expires and goes to Microsoft, so they're trying to make a quick buck on the game while they still can.

Just buy the regular Outer Worlds. It's miles cheaper, and the Steam Spring Sale is on right now so it's even lower right now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Spacers Choice isn't a DLC. It's a "Special Edition." And it is strongly recommended you do not buy it. Spacers Choice is absolutely cooked. They're charging full price for an objectively worse "remaster" that runs worse, is loaded with technical problems, and is just the same game but with some leveling adjustments.

The only reason Spacers Choice exists is because as you know Obsidian was bought by Microsoft years ago and is now a Xbox studio, which means Private Division the original publishers are about to lose the publishing rights to Outer Worlds as it expires and goes to Microsoft, so they're trying to make a quick buck on the game while they still can.

Just buy the regular Outer Worlds. It's miles cheaper, and the Steam Spring Sale is on right now so it's even lower right now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/
If you already have Outer Worlds it is a ten dollar upgrade, but yeah I saw the reviews about the worse performance. I was just more curious to see if anyone took the plunge.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
If you already have Outer Worlds it is a ten dollar upgrade, but yeah I saw the reviews about the worse performance. I was just more curious to see if anyone took the plunge.

I am nearing the end of a playthrough of Spacer's Choice edition on the Steam Deck. Initially there was stuttering on Edgewater in a few places and a memory leak on Groundbreaker (but honestly still better than initial Switch release!) ... all of this was taken care of by the first patch.

I'm on the second DLC now and still have the final 10% or so of the main game remaining, and am at level 44! The added perks I am finding useless at this point, but the additional skill points (max 2-handed and Science, strong speech, stealth and decent leadership skills).

Some XP seem to have been bumped up, others down - and same for skill checks. (the critical 150 on DLC1 remains)

For me, totally worth the $10 and another unplanned playthrough!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve thought about giving TOW another shot. I readily compared it to Fallout 4 when I was playing it, and it just did not click with me the same way last time around. 🤔

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve thought about giving TOW another shot. I readily compared it to Fallout 4
The Outer Worlds is its own game, and while the studio is made up of people who worked on fallout it, it was Fallout New Vegas and not FO4. To that that end, its really quite different to FO4, and closer to FO NV.

Its a fun game, I love the look and feel, and the DLCs do add to the playability. I've been thinking of doing another play through. I'm still working on the FO4 play through currently, but I may swing around and do this after afterwards.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I’ve thought about giving TOW another shot. I readily compared it to Fallout 4 when I was playing it, and it just did not click with me the same way last time around. 🤔
I feel like each has pros and cons ... I'm from Boston so of course I love wandering around in FO4, but so many of the quests get incredibly grindy and repetitive - whereas in The Outer World I found things more unique and less repetitive. But TOW is smaller in size and scope even with both DLCs and the lack of level cap in the new version.

Reactions: Huntn and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love wandering around in FO4, but so many of the quests get incredibly grindy and repetitive
One of the major features of Fallout 4, is the incredible lore, there's just so much information, that a single play through barely scratches the surface. Even now, I cam across things that I hadn't even though I've played the game countless times.

I won't disagree without that the quests can and are repetitive, but here's where FO4 shakes things up. Tired of doing the minutemen quests, shift gears and do some BOS, or railroad. I'm not saying the game isn't grindy, but there's just so much depth.

With that said, I may pick up another play through of TOWs. That's just a fun game, though this time, I may opt for a companion-less play through - I almost always have a companion

Reactions: Huntn and txa1265

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I feel like each has pros and cons ... I'm from Boston so of course I love wandering around in FO4, but so many of the quests get incredibly grindy and repetitive - whereas in The Outer World I found things more unique and less repetitive. But TOW is smaller in size and scope even with both DLCs and the lack of level cap in the new version.
I am so assimilated to F4, nothing feels grindy, and I am someone who is typically bothered by grind. Now I have a reason for this, I cheat. :) Via the console I never run low on my favorite ammo, and I give myself building material and up my carry weight to a couple of tons, so I can treat settlement development as playing in creative mode. I also admit to having 2 high powered modded weapons. I love the main story, and most of the companion quest stories, and there are some excellent story elements that can be added to the game via content mods. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One of the major features of Fallout 4, is the incredible lore, there's just so much information, that a single play through barely scratches the surface. Even now, I cam across things that I hadn't even though I've played the game countless times.

I won't disagree without that the quests can and are repetitive, but here's where FO4 shakes things up. Tired of doing the minutemen quests, shift gears and do some BOS, or railroad. I'm not saying the game isn't grindy, but there's just so much depth.

With that said, I may pick up another play through of TOWs. That's just a fun game, though this time, I may opt for a companion-less play through - I almost always have a companion
In TOW I missed having a companion who would fall in love or at least like me. I liked the idea of experiencing this story with a personal relationship.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A bug bit me and somehow this was still installed on my computer so I cranked it up with a new game. I don’t know if it is because of an update, or my 4k monitor I did not have before, but the game is looking good, and I’m enjoying quests in the starter location.

My old critique still stands for now, that it seems to be all business with my first companion, although she does tell me some things about her, I’m not getting any kind of a friendship vibe, which I would think would be natural in any relationship of that kind. In Fallout 4 I loved that companions would ask you to help them with personal problems and grow to like, even love your character or you could piss them off. :)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
A bug bit me and somehow this was still installed on my computer so I cranked it up with a new game. I don’t know if it is because of an update, or my 4k monitor I did not have before, but the game is looking good, and I’m enjoying quests in the starter location.

My old critique still stands for now, that it seems to be all business with my first companion, although she does tell me some things about her, I’m not getting any kind of a friendship vibe, which I would think would be natural in any relationship of that kind. In Fallout 4 I loved that companions would ask you to help them with personal problems and grow to like, even love your character or you could piss them off. :)
Having played both FO4 and TOW in past year I actually fid the companions in Outer Worlds better written than Fallout 4 (well, Obsidian vs Bethsoft, so pretty much a given). Pavarti I would put as the best character in either game - but everyone has stuff to say throughout most of the game and each have multi-stage personal missions like in FO4 ... for me I actually felt the FO4 companions were more utilitarian than in Outer Worlds, but TOW is also a smaller game - I tend to be very completionist, so really got impressions from all my companions throughout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.