Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I’ve just completed 3 weeks with the 2022 iPad Air (256gb), and wanted to comment on its strength in practical use, apart from its obvious abilities in videos/graphics/sound etc. I got a Magic Keyboard along with the device, which I picked up together at an Apple Store on April 25.

Will it replace my i5 HP Pavilion PC? Almost, and if I apply another couple of weeks to my learning curve, probably yes. Would it be a PC replacement for most other people besides myself? Probably not, because I think my computing needs are not as complicated as many others, especially “power users” and gamers. I am retired and don’t need integration into work networks, too.

Here’s where I’ve found the Air to be strong:

1. Spreadsheets. Utilizing Google Sheets with the Google Drive as the cloud server, I have been able to write and use several personal spreadsheets, including a Check Register, a weight-loss tracker, a semi-complicated workbook to track Blood Pressure and other health-related issues, etc. I have 7 or 8 active spreadsheets in use. The primary reason I chose Google products is because of the amount of free memory in the cloud (15gb) as opposed to the 5gb available on iCloud. I imagine that using Apple’s Numbers app in conjunction with the iCloud would be just as effective. The iPad handles spreadsheets with ease, no lagging, no problems and with a very intuitive UI.
  2. Word Processing. I am able to maintain my personal diary, sermon notes from the Church I attend, and other personal documents with ease using the Google Docs app again in concert with Google Drive. My learning curve here is in translating keystrokes from a Windows PC into “MacLanguage”: for example, copy on a PC is [ctrl]-C; paste is [ctrl]-V — and on the Magic Keyboard [ctrl] is replaced with [cmd]. Over the next few weeks my learning curve will extend to other types of documents besides Word format and Text (PDFs, etc.) so I can keep more personal information and documents on the device.
  3. Research, Documentation and Website Maintenance. I spend a lot of time studying and documenting the histories and architecture of late-1800s and early 1900s Southwestern USA buildings, especially in El Paso, TX. It’s really just a personal hobby. I utilize several sources for research, including University digital libraries (like https://texashistory.unt.edu/), the Library of Congress, and (my favorite) newspapers dot com. I travel to photograph extant buildings, then write articles detailing their history. My research is posted primarily in two places: my website, the El Paso Sketch Club (linked to below in my signature) and at the Trost Society’s Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/TrostSociety) where I have a little over 10,000 followers. I’ve discovered the iPad to be very capable in my studies and documentation. One of the nicest aspects is that Google Chrome displays as a full PC version rather than a watered-down “mobile” app. This helps immensely, because maintenance of the websites on the Air is identical to how it is done on the PC.
  4. Games. I would not classify myself as a “gamer” by any stretch, but I do play a lot of Roblox and Minecraft, especially with grandchildren (of which I have 6 now!). The iPad Air with the M1 even outperforms my A15 iPhone 13 on these games, and (frankly) blows the PC to pieces.
So the iPad Air has been able to pick up most of my PC tasks, while doing “Apple” (AirDrop, Find My, etc) expertly. Again, this may not be everyone’s experience, because computing needs vary from person to person. But the Air has a small footprint, has a lot of speed and power, and - at least for now - looks like it’s going to become my main PC squeeze. It is, officially, “da bomb”.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
Can you comment on battery life? I see conflicting messages about whether it is good or worse than Air 4?
Or how many others can you get before you need to recharge?

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Can you comment on battery life? I see conflicting messages about whether it is good or worse than Air 4?
Or how many others can you get before you need to recharge?
I can get through an entire day of use and have about 33% left at the end of day. I’ve never used an Air 4, so can’t compare the two. The Air 5, however, is not even close to the iPhone 13, which sees about 70% remaining at the end of a long day.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Don’t see the value in these, better off with the 11” pro imo. Better screen, pro motion and FID, quad stereo speakers easily worth the extra $.
Just a bigger mini 6 with a M1 and same stupid TID button in a shocking position, would be a nightmare to use with the magic keyboard.

Reactions: nikster0029

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Research, Documentation and Website Maintenance.
That was most interesting to me - your use of the iPad for this. Because it's so mobile, plus you can take photographs of buildings and if you are in an archive, scans of documents. I had an early gen iPad back in the day but found its functionality rather a hindrance. It's the OS that is the biggest obstacle I find: iPadOS can do things like basic multitasking but you simply don't get the control over the file system, plus the apps are much more specialized and confined compared with macOS apps.

With the power of the M1 I was hoping that a fuller version of iPadOS would be unleashed, as otherwise it just seems a waste of a great screen and super fast processor. If only there was a full-fat macOS available for the M1 iPads, a lot of us would be happy and could then ditch our laptops. Oh and another big beef: yes, you can plug your iPad into a monitor for a while now, but this is unusable as there no simple duplication of screens, or screen extension options - there are big black bands either side of the display. WHY??!!!

Clearly it works for you, though. The M1 iPad Air is the one I'm most interested in actually, as the others are overkill for most people. The Air is a sweet spot between quality hardware and affordability.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
That was most interesting to me - your use of the iPad for this. Because it's so mobile, plus you can take photographs of buildings and if you are in an archive, scans of documents. I had an early gen iPad back in the day but found its functionality rather a hindrance. It's the OS that is the biggest obstacle I find: iPadOS can do things like basic multitasking but you simply don't get the control over the file system, plus the apps are much more specialized and confined compared with macOS apps.

With the power of the M1 I was hoping that a fuller version of iPadOS would be unleashed, as otherwise it just seems a waste of a great screen and super fast processor. If only there was a full-fat macOS available for the M1 iPads, a lot of us would be happy and could then ditch our laptops. Oh and another big beef: yes, you can plug your iPad into a monitor for a while now, but this is unusable as there no simple duplication of screens, or screen extension options - there are big black bands either side of the display. WHY??!!!

Clearly it works for you, though. The M1 iPad Air is the one I'm most interested in actually, as the others are overkill for most people. The Air is a sweet spot between quality hardware and affordability.
Indeed, control over the file system is an issue. However,in regards to documents, that’s where Google Drive’s integration is excellent.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Now it’s a week or so later - and virtually all of my computing has moved over to the iPad. Again, as I stated in the OP, my computing needs are not as intense as many people’s - therefore I’m hesitant to “proclaim” that the M1 iPad Air is a true replacement for a PC for everything. However, for moderate spreadsheet creation/use, word processing, recordkeeping, social media, internet research and website maintenance, and moderate gaming (i.e. Roblox & Minecraft) the iPad Air Gen 5 is quite capable and has replaced my PC.

EDIT: I will add that when switching computing tasks to the iPad Air, Google is Apple’s best friend.

Reactions: rui no onna

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
@Mark Stone I am surprised you are comfortable using google docs on the iPad. Do you run them in the app or browser? I have always found it to be a pain using the google drive app, not least due to its limited functionality.

Reactions: jamesrick80

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Glad to see the iPad is working well for you. I would consider myself a power user—software engineer by day and use Macs for the majority of my day. However, when I’m finished for the day my new iPad Air 5 becomes my personal computer and I can use it to ssh into my home servers using Prompt. I still keep a Mac mini around for when I run into iPad OS’s limitations but for the most part I’ve been quite happy.

Reactions: Mark Stone

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
@Mark Stone I am surprised you are comfortable using google docs on the iPad. Do you run them in the app or browser? I have always found it to be a pain using the google drive app, not least due to its limited functionality.
On the contrary, I have found Google Docs (and the other Google apps) to be quite intuitive and easy. If it has “limited functionality” I haven’t encountered it yet. I use the app versions of Drive, Docs and Sheets.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I’m not looking to replace my MacBook Pro. But as a PhD student, I see the iPad as being useful for reading, highlighting, and making notes in PDF documents (using Adobe Cloud). I’ll also be using it for web browsing, word processing, and light spreadsheet work. There will also be other work using apps such as Box, LinkedIn, and such.

Will the iPad Air 5 be my best option? Or should I look at the iPad Pro?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m not looking to replace my MacBook Pro. But as a PhD student, I see the iPad as being useful for reading, highlighting, and making notes in PDF documents (using Adobe Cloud). I’ll also be using it for web browsing, word processing, and light spreadsheet work. There will also be other work using apps such as Box, LinkedIn, and such.

Will the iPad Air 5 be my best option? Or should I look at the iPad Pro?

Performance will be the same. I don’t use Adobe Cloud (I use GoodReader) but it should work fine for your mentioned tasks. Even he iPad 9th can handle those tasks. It just has a tendency to reload more frequently.

Primary differences between Air 5 and Pro 11 are:
ProMotion
quad speakers
storage
cameras + LED flash
FaceID
colors

Difference in screen size is negligible unless you go bigger with the 12.9.

MSRP (US)
$599 Air 5 64GB
$749 Air 5 256GB
$799 Pro 11 128GB
$899 Pro 11 256GB

If I were in your shoes, I’d probably just choose based on storage. If 64GB or 256GB is your sweet spot, then the Air 5. If 128GB, then the Pro 11. Also note that System + Other takes 15-20GB nowadays so you need to factor that in when trying to calculate how much storage you need.

That’s assuming, of course, that you don’t go for the 12.9” model.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Performance will be the same. I don’t use Adobe Cloud (I use GoodReader) but it should work fine for your mentioned tasks. Even he iPad 9th can handle those tasks. It just has a tendency to reload more frequently.

Primary differences between Air 5 and Pro 11 are:
ProMotion
quad speakers
storage
cameras + LED flash
FaceID
colors

Difference in screen size is negligible unless you go bigger with the 12.9.

MSRP (US)
$599 Air 5 64GB
$749 Air 5 256GB
$799 Pro 11 128GB
$899 Pro 11 256GB

If I were in your shoes, I’d probably just choose based on storage. If 64GB or 256GB is your sweet spot, then the Air 5. If 128GB, then the Pro 11. Also note that System + Other takes 15-20GB nowadays so you need to factor that in when trying to calculate how much storage you need.

That’s assuming, of course, that you don’t go for the 12.9” model.
Thank you so much for the breakdown and it makes a ton of sense. After reading it, I sort of lean towards the iPad Air 5.

So I guess my question then is this: Is 256GB enough?

On my iPhone, I am currently using 120GB. About half of that are Photos.

I will have the iPad for 3 years or so.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thank you so much for the breakdown and it makes a ton of sense. After reading it, I sort of lean towards the iPad Air 5.

This is totally subjective. Personally, I have 1TB but that’s because I like keeping a bunch of offline videos and comics/manga on my iPad.

How big are the PDFs you’ll be keeping on the iPad? Assuming the PDFs aren’t gigantic and you don’t have hundreds or thousands of them, your mentioned usage sounds like it will easily fit on 256GB. Honestly, it sound like it could also fit on 128GB if you don’t include photos.

Do you use Download and Keep Originals for iCloud Photos? Do you want to have the full quality version of your iCloud Photo library on your iPad at all times?

I have ~38GB in iCloud Photos but with Optimize iPad Storage enabled, it only takes up 1/10th that space.

Also, what’s the other half on your iPhone and do you also need that data on the iPad?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

If you reached 120GB quickly then 256 probably isn't enough; however, if it has taken a while to amass 60GB of photos or you are willing to use iCloud photos, then 256GB is enough for the next couple of years..

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
This is totally subjective. Personally, I have 1TB but that’s because I like keeping a bunch of offline videos and comics/manga on my iPad.

How big are the PDFs you’ll be keeping on the iPad? Assuming the PDFs aren’t gigantic and you don’t have hundreds or thousands of them, your mentioned usage sounds like it will easily fit on 256GB. Honestly, it sound like it could also fit on 128GB if you don’t include photos.
I'm not sure how big each file will be. But right now, I have 20 files to go off of for a total of 33MB. This is largely skewed by a file the size of 13.5MB and one that is 12.2GB.

Do you use Download and Keep Originals for iCloud Photos? Do you want to have the full quality version of your iCloud Photo library on your iPad at all times?

I have ~38GB in iCloud Photos but with Optimize iPad Storage enabled, it only takes up 1/10th that space.

Also, what’s the other half on your iPhone and do you also need that data on the iPad?
No, I do not use Download and Keep Originals for iCloud Photos. What exactly does it do? I'm assuming it keeps lesser resolution photos on my iPhone. What happens to the full-version photos?

Photos uses 65GB. The rest of my iPhone storage is used on Messages (22GB), Apps, and System Data.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
If you reached 120GB quickly then 256 probably isn't enough; however, if it has taken a while to amass 60GB of photos or you are willing to use iCloud photos, then 256GB is enough for the next couple of years..
The 60GB of Photos date back to the early 2000s but mainly start when I got my first iPhone (iPhone 2). FWIW, I have 2TB of iCloud storage with LOTS of free space there.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not sure how big each file will be. But right now, I have 20 files to go off of for a total of 33MB. This is largely skewed by a file the size of 13.5MB and one that is 12.2GB.

Then 256GB sounds like it will be enough for your PDFs and other data for the next few years as long as your needs don’t drastically increase (e.g. filming more 4K videos and keeping those local).

No, I do not use Download and Keep Originals for iCloud Photos. What exactly does it do? I'm assuming it keeps lesser resolution photos on my iPhone. What happens to the full-version photos?

Photos uses 65GB. The rest of my iPhone storage is used on Messages (22GB), Apps, and System Data.

Download and Keep Originals keeps the full quality versions on your device.

Optimize iPhone/iPad Storage offloads the full quality versions to iCloud and just keeps low quality versions locally when your device is running low on space

I use Originals on my iPhone (128-256GB) and 512GB+ iPads, Optimize on 256GB and lower iPads.

iCloud Photos 2022-06-04 at 12.03.11 PM.png

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Download and Keep Originals keeps the full quality versions on your device.

Optimize iPhone/iPad Storage offloads the full quality versions to iCloud and just keeps low quality versions locally when your device is running low on space

I use Originals on my iPhone (128-256GB) and 512GB+ iPads, Optimize on 256GB and lower iPads.

View attachment 2013449
Where are the original, full-res pics? In iCloud?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Where are the original, full-res pics? In iCloud?

Regardless of which option you choose, original quality, full-res pics are stored in iCloud as long as you have iCloud Photos enabled.

The Keep Originals and Optimize Storage options just control the quality and storage used locally on your device.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Worst thing about using iCloud for photos/videos when away from wifi you have to hotspot to see them, if only have a wifi iPad.

Reactions: 81Tiger04

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Worst thing about using iCloud for photos/videos when away from wifi you have to hotspot to see them, if only have a wifi iPad.

Honestly, worst thing I find is that “streaming” from iCloud Photos sometimes fails. I’ve gotten error messages on occasion even with decent internet.

Keeping originals on local storage is more reliable for access (assuming the device doesn’t crap out, of course).

Reactions: Dealmans
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.