Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
And it can be changed back to Optimize iPhone Storage for full-res pics if you change your mind?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And it can be changed back to Optimize iPhone Storage for full-res pics if you change your mind?

Optimize Storage downloads the low quality versions.

Keep Originals downloads the full-res versions.

You can switch between the two anytime. Of course you need to have enough free space for Download and Keep Originals.

Reactions: Dealmans

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Optimize Storage downloads the low quality versions.

Keep Originals downloads the full-res versions.

You can switch between the two anytime. Of course you need to have enough free space for Download and Keep Originals.
Thanks! Super helpful thread from beginning to end. I’ll be getting an iPad Air M1 as a result. Maybe a July 4 deal?

Reactions: Ponylover52

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Now it’s a week or so later - and virtually all of my computing has moved over to the iPad. Again, as I stated in the OP, my computing needs are not as intense as many people’s - therefore I’m hesitant to “proclaim” that the M1 iPad Air is a true replacement for a PC for everything. However, for moderate spreadsheet creation/use, word processing, recordkeeping, social media, internet research and website maintenance, and moderate gaming (i.e. Roblox & Minecraft) the iPad Air Gen 5 is quite capable and has replaced my PC.

EDIT: I will add that when switching computing tasks to the iPad Air, Google is Apple’s best friend.
And now, four days after this post, I have completely transitioned from the PC to the iPad Air. I’m happier than snot - my new M1 powered PC (formerly known as “iPad Air Gen 5”) is smooth, fast and strong. It is performing all of my PC work detailed in the OP, plus (Bonus!) doing everything “Apple” to boot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.