Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuyang Wu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
Now I have a MacBook with two thunderbolt 3 ports. My daily device are a thunderbolt-only external SSD and a LG Ultrafine 22’ monitor that have one USB 3.0 port and three USB 2.0 ports (all ports are USB-C) connect by a USB-C 3.0 non-thunderbolt cable. All ports are now full while I’d like to connect another Ethernet cable currently and maybe more USB-A device to join in the future (e.x. Printer).
Obviously there’s no spare port for it. Here’s the problem: is possible to find a hub/dock that could just satisfy my demand (I want the hub/dock that connect to the MacBook with one cable and provided a thunderbolt port, a Ethernet port, several USB-A ports and that’s it) in a nice price? Or find a USB-C to Ethernet and plug it in those USB-C 2.0 ports on the back my monitor is better?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Google best thunderbolt 3 dock - here's a result:

There are other options like this:
(It's a USB-C dock with one Thunderbolt 3 pass thru).
There are other similar looking models with different ports. A USB-C dock won't allow connecting 4K60 and USB 3.x though (it would be limited to 4K30 with USB 3.x or 4K60 with USB 2.0). Better stick with a Thunderbolt 3 solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.