Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Fact is even the iPad Pro 11 + Magic Keyboard weighs more and is more bulky than my 2017 MacBook 12. The 12.9 iPP + Magic Keyboard is even worse with weighing more than the M1 MBA.
Fact of the matter is, that while the MacBooks and MacBook Airs are focused on weight (being light), the iPad Pro is not

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Also, I find it strange how much the 12” MacBook was **** on on release, and yet somehow it’s a beloved product.
The first gen 12" was basically a tech demo. The Broadwell chip in it was so underpowered that I recall OSX stuttered quite a lot. When the second gen introduced Skylake chips there was then sufficient power to have a good experience. If Intel hadn't had all their node shrink issues, the 4th gen 12" would have had Cannonlake which would have been light on battery but pretty powerful.

I think a 12" is going to be a tough sell. I get the feeling that larger devices give Apple more profit margin (A bigger Mac/iPad/iPhone costs Apple for a larger screen and battery, but uses the same components as the smaller versions). Thus 10 million iPhone Mini sales probably made less profit that 10 million iPhone Plus sales. This points to the fact that Apple can't introduce a 12" priced below the 13" MBA without taking a hit on profit margin, thus they would have to pitch a 12" MacBook as being a premium item. which lowers the target market.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I think a 12" is going to be a tough sell. I get the feeling that larger devices give Apple more profit margin (A bigger Mac/iPad/iPhone costs Apple for a larger screen and battery, but uses the same components as the smaller versions). Thus 10 million iPhone Mini sales probably made less profit that 10 million iPhone Plus sales. This points to the fact that Apple can't introduce a 12" priced below the 13" MBA without taking a hit on profit margin, thus they would have to pitch a 12" MacBook as being a premium item. which lowers the target market.
Unfortunately, I sadly agree.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
One needs only about 30 seconds with a current 13" MacBook Air to conclude that no 12" MacBook should ever exist again. The Air is light, highly portable, large enough to actually be usable (for some), lasts forever, highly performant, with decent I/O for its size. And the price isn't bad either.

The last thing Apple needs is MORE tiers in their product lines. There are too many already. The current MacBook line is the only one even slightly organized (2 consumer models, 2 pro models....ish). Please don't advocate for mucking that up.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

christcc2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2020
I think the idea of an education focused MacBook is, to be blunt, ridiculous on its face.

New college students grew up on iPhones and iPads. To the point where many don’t understand file systems (https://m.slashdot.org/story/390777)

Outside of chromebooks, the only option that makes sense for education is iPads. Children are already very familiar with it (whether that’s good or bad I won’t comment) and nearly every iPad model is cheaper than a potential “low cost MacBook” could be. And Apple already has a program to provide iPads for education.

And before someone says “kids need to learn how to navigate a normal OS” First, I agree. Second, that’s what computer labs are for, and has been their purpose since my school years.
I have to disagree. I'm a parent of a couple of those "new college students" who yes, did have iPhones and an iPad. And they both immediately loved and did just fine with Mac OS - way better than Windows - both in high school and now in college.

Reactions: Saturn007

christcc2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2020
As a poster said earlier, there's something about this being for someone who travels more - and just the "home laptop". I LOVED my 11 inch MBA. If they did release a 12 inch model again, with an M3 - as long as it has more than one Thunderbolt port (please not just USB-C 3), it will sell like crazy if it's well under $1k.

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
I have to disagree. I'm a parent of a couple of those "new college students" who yes, did have iPhones and an iPad. And they both immediately loved and did just fine with Mac OS - way better than Windows - both in high school and now in college.
I understand what you’re saying here, but I should’ve specified that I was speaking of high school and elementary school, where chromebooks are widely used. Not necessarily high school students entering college. Though I did use that as an example to illustrate my point.

From a market perspective, the best “chromebook fighter” in Apple’s product range is the iPad, and not a potential cheaper MacBook. After all, children today grow up in a world of smartphones and iPads, and as such, the ideal choice for k-12 education would be along those lines.

And, to the counter argument that part of education should be using more advanced devices (a policy I wholeheartedly agree with), the solution is the same as it has always been: computer labs with desktops.

My concept is as follows:
For general k-12 education, students would use iPads as general purpose devices. And to teach students how to use devices running a desktop OS, they would have designated computer labs.

This would be a better solution, in my opinion, than to have a bespoke MacBook, that by necessity you’d have to teach younger students to use before they can use it for general coursework.

Since children already are familiar with iPads or similar devices, the faculty doesn’t have to spend time before their lessons, teaching students how to use a Mac. Which the teachers themselves may not be very familiar with themselves.

(Of course it doesn’t necessarily have to be Apple devices, but you get the point)

With that understanding, a potential MacBook that competes with Chromebooks in that market doesn’t make much sense.

This doesn’t preclude having Macs in schools though. Hence a better solution would be to have a lab with iMacs. Where a school can buy less devices and share them among students more effectively and be able to monitor them more easily.

That way, ideally, students would get the best of both worlds, a cheaper device that they’re already familiar with, and time on a more advanced computer when the need requires it.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
I wouldn't even mind if they bought out an Apple Macbook 12 "SE" in effect. IE an M1 or equivalent chip. That would be more than enough processing power for the easy, light traveler who prefers the form factor of the 12".

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have a son going to college in a couple of years and I know we're probably going to need to get him a laptop and I don't think I'd want to get him anything smaller than maybe a 14" MBA. 12" is just too little.

Then again, kids type papers on their iPhones these days, so.......

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I wouldn't even mind if they bought out an Apple Macbook 12 "SE" in effect. IE an M1 or equivalent chip. That would be more than enough processing power for the easy, light traveler who prefers the form factor of the 12".
Would you still be interested if it was based on an Ax chip instead of an Mx chip?

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
Would you still be interested if it was based on an Ax chip instead of an Mx chip?
I would. Almost. The problem here would be the RAM size... as we know Apple... 4GB MacBook Air / Mac Mini all over again... DOA.

Before they announced the M1 Air there were rumors about 12" MacBook comeback. I was a bit disappointed that they just slapped M1 into existing chassis of the Air and Pro instead of reviving the 12" with Magic keyboard.

Reactions: Chuckeee

christcc2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2020
I would not be surprised if there was an "SE" type laptop. It would be great if we could stay where we're at though - it's closer (at least with laptops) to the quadrant model Steve Jobs had - two portables (consumer, pro) and two desktops (though we have 4, you could argue two are consumer, and 2 are pro).

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Since bezel size has shrunken, I believe the for 12 inch MacBook would now host a 13 inch screen. The design of the new Air is however not impressive, the old one was as was the 12 inch model.

A Mac is not a iPad and vice versa so a 12 inch Mac make sense

Apple is not a company at the edge of bankruptcy but a trillion dollar company. They have the capacity to cater for many more tastes and needs regarding computers and iPads now.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
If the 12" comes it explains why I have been so uncertain in what I actually want in the portable area at the moment. I would so totally love a 12" or even an 11" with M-chip - wow 🤩
I've had smaller than 13" before, which I have now, but can’t recall if I had both 11" and 12" - it's very possible though.

I wait until it's a really clear deal for me, maybe to the fall/autumn if necessary and see what Apple has to offer. I can live with the 13" I have for the lighter and portable Mac use until that.

Reactions: Chuckeee

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Not at all seeing as the tasks I would carry out with a 12" Macbook would be pretty simplistic compared to modern day needs, ie Safari, Mail, Calendar, Notes etc. I see it as an iPad with a proper OS and form factor. C'mpn Apple get your finger out!!

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Apple is not a company at the edge of bankruptcy but a trillion dollar company. They have the capacity to cater for many more tastes and needs regarding computers and iPads now.
Hope you’re correct but looking at iPhone mini (which was even a larger market segment) I have serious doubts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.