Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Congratulations on not being able to see things from other points of view but your own.
It all depends on personal opinions. Some people are extra sensitive to weight and see 0.5 lb/p/whatever unit you're using as a big difference, while others, like me, absolutely do not care and could carry a maxed out 16'' Pro no problem.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Its kind of amusing to have people argue whether .5lbs matter. Just the fact that there are people who chose to buy the MB12 vs the MBA while both products are available proves that it does matter. It may not matter to you but it certainly mattered to some.

I personally would love to get a MB12 with Apple silicon. I doubt it will happen but thats a different story.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
its not for scholars, its a premium niche. Its 30% less in size and weight. I would pay 3-4 grands easy. Still use my 2017 model, other models are heavy and its always a pain to bring one to go.
Good luck with not getting more software updates (but tbh you should stay with ventura, Sonoma is buggy as hell especially .4)

boxrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Manchester
The 12" Macbook was the perfect size for me. Imagine a 2024 model, Apple Silicon, thin bezels and an improved keyboard.

I owned both versions of the 12" Machine. Had the 16gb m7 version later and it was reasonably quick. The only reason I sold it was to purchase Apple Silicon based Macbook Air M1. And now upgraded to M2 and just recently M3 variant. But they are just too big and heavy. 350g is significant on something which is only about 1kg.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I had the 2017 rMB i7/16GB/512GB for a few years. It was awesome but had too many compromises. The battery life was meh. It was slow. And annoyingly, the passive cooling was not up to snuff. On a sunny summer day working on the deck, it would shut off due to overheating (and I had the silver model! I imagine the dark gray/black was worse). It wasn't the i7 either, my wife had an 2017 rMB i3 with the same issue.

That wasn't my first tiny Macbook. Before that one, I had a 2013 11" MBA i7/16GB/512GB for a few years. Other than the screen and weight, it was better than the rMB in every way: faster, longer battery life, better keyboard.

I now have a 13" M2 MBA, and frankly it's the best laptop I've ever owned. No compromises as far as I'm concerned. The extra half-pound of weight is hardly noticeable.

Reactions: StoneJack

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’d pay MacBook Pro prices for a new 12 inch, sub 1kg model with the thin bezels M silicon etc.
Isn't that basically the iPad Pro? The 11" iPad Pro is 470 grams, the magic keyboard is 601 grams, making a total package weight of 1071 grams. Not quite 12" and sub 1kg, but dang close.

Of course, then you'd have to live with the useless iPadOS...

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't care….the M3 13" MBA is a lot lighter then the 2018 MBA 13".

I don't know exactly how much, but it feels a lot lighter to me. So I don't long for a 12" anymore -
M3 13" is great ♥️

Reactions: oneMadRssn

zeropoint88

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018
Isn't that basically the iPad Pro? The 11" iPad Pro is 470 grams, the magic keyboard is 601 grams, making a total package weight of 1071 grams. Not quite 12" and sub 1kg, but dang close.

Of course, then you'd have to live with the useless iPadOS...
Yes - if iPad Pro could run full Mac OS then it would be a substitute.

Mareest

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2023
tempImagewX9MM3.jpg

Bought a base 2017 12" Retina Macbook not long ago. As an owner of a M1 MacBook Air, here are my thoughts :

-The 12" Macbook feels drastically lighter in weight, and it takes much less space on a desk/lap.
-My battery says it has 190 cycles and 4500mAh capacity and I have like 6-7 hours battery life on safari which feels huge
-The infamous butterfly keyboard is actually pretty decent, so are the speakers. The touchpad is great
-No multi tasking possible, I would even say, no multi tabs in safari possible lol. It starts getting slow and takes too much time to load pages. But when there is only one tab open then it feels like my M1.
-I use "bigger text" resolution, and the screen is still big enough to display all the information of a page comfortably. The default resolution is workable as well but I feel some eye strain after 1 hour.
-The M1 screen feels GIGANTIC after spending some time on the 12"
-The 12" Macbook feels fragile. 13" feels like a brick after handling the 12" one.

Would I buy one brand new if it gets M1 ?

-Probably not, because I don't feel like I could do some real work on this machine even if Apple Silicon would allow easier multitasking. This screen size feels good for "consulting" only, not for "active working"

Would I buy one if it gets M3+ ?

-If this little machine would allow me to dock it to 2 big external monitors, that could be it. Because after using the 12", I am no longer considering my M1 Air as a "portable" device, but more of a "transportable" one. I can bring it anywhere of course but I need to settle somewhere before lightning it up. With the 12", I can literally fly with it, everywhere.

It is a whole new level of freedom, but still, 12" is not big enough to get things done on it. External monitors would help sometimes, but what would I do if I need to work in a hotel room or in the garden ? The 13" is big enough for that, not the 12".

So I don't know. 13" feels like the best compromise. And an iPad mini like a better "consulting only" machine (well not exactly, sometimes I want my desktop safari experience but I am too lazy to open up the 13". The 12" requires less "efforts" for that but does it justify to have one just to fill this narrow gap ? At the end of the day, you feel stupid having 2 little MacBooks).

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
Those of us who loved the 12” rMB are a bit of a niche market like iPhone mini users I guess!

Its kind of amusing to have people argue whether .5lbs matter. Just the fact that there are people who chose to buy the MB12 vs the MBA while both products are available proves that it does matter. It may not matter to you but it certainly mattered to some.

Yes and Yes. 👍

We had the same debate about the first generation iPhone SE. "You just bought it because it was cheap!" No, I bought it because it was small. And I voted with my wallet and bought the iPhone 12 mini, later upgrading to the 13 mini. I would do the same with a 12" Apple Silicon MacBook. 👍

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Yes and Yes. 👍

We had the same debate about the first generation iPhone SE. "You just bought it because it was cheap!" No, I bought it because it was small. And I voted with my wallet and bought the iPhone 12 mini, later upgrading to the 13 mini. I would do the same with a 12" Apple Silicon MacBook. 👍
Tbh as a person with small hands I would prefer smaller devices

But the reason I lean to bigger, less ergonomic devices is that smaller has more compromises, and I learned it the hard way having the SE 2 before quickly jumping ship to the 13 pro max early 2022

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
View attachment 2362794

Bought a base 2017 12" Retina Macbook not long ago. As an owner of a M1 MacBook Air, here are my thoughts :

-The 12" Macbook feels drastically lighter in weight, and it takes much less space on a desk/lap.
-My battery says it has 190 cycles and 4500mAh capacity and I have like 6-7 hours battery life on safari which feels huge
-The infamous butterfly keyboard is actually pretty decent, so are the speakers. The touchpad is great
-No multi tasking possible, I would even say, no multi tabs in safari possible lol. It starts getting slow and takes too much time to load pages. But when there is only one tab open then it feels like my M1.
-I use "bigger text" resolution, and the screen is still big enough to display all the information of a page comfortably. The default resolution is workable as well but I feel some eye strain after 1 hour.
-The M1 screen feels GIGANTIC after spending some time on the 12"
-The 12" Macbook feels fragile. 13" feels like a brick after handling the 12" one.

Would I buy one brand new if it gets M1 ?

-Probably not, because I don't feel like I could do some real work on this machine even if Apple Silicon would allow easier multitasking. This screen size feels good for "consulting" only, not for "active working"

Would I buy one if it gets M3+ ?

-If this little machine would allow me to dock it to 2 big external monitors, that could be it. Because after using the 12", I am no longer considering my M1 Air as a "portable" device, but more of a "transportable" one. I can bring it anywhere of course but I need to settle somewhere before lightning it up. With the 12", I can literally fly with it, everywhere.

It is a whole new level of freedom, but still, 12" is not big enough to get things done on it. External monitors would help sometimes, but what would I do if I need to work in a hotel room or in the garden ? The 13" is big enough for that, not the 12".

So I don't know. 13" feels like the best compromise. And an iPad mini like a better "consulting only" machine (well not exactly, sometimes I want my desktop safari experience but I am too lazy to open up the 13". The 12" requires less "efforts" for that but does it justify to have one just to fill this narrow gap ? At the end of the day, you feel stupid having 2 little MacBooks).
Interesting opinion on the topic, but yes, 12 is too small to get work done. And the MBA/mbp 14 m3 has shown us that only the lid closed function for 2 external displays will work, so you have to get a keyboard and mouse, and the portability thing goes away.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
You are missing the whole point. It may be too small for YOU to get work done on the go, but for a lot of people it is a perfect size to get some work done on the road. Especially if you just need to check some emails and basic internet browsing / checking calendars etc.
You might be right, I check large spreadsheets, long notes and manage patients, things that require large screens, (one of the reasons my SE was so bad) others might not need all this space for basic internet functions

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Here’s a perspective that I think is relevant:

And please watch the entire video for his opinion, he ***** on the 12” MacBook pretty hard, but he also reasons why he bought it in the first place.

So I think we should take a typical user’s perspective into account.
Watched it a long, looooong time ago, but yeah, I think this should be taken into account

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
its not for scholars, its a premium niche. Its 30% less in size and weight. I would pay 3-4 grands easy. Still use my 2017 model, other models are heavy and its always a pain to bring one to go.
The 12” Macbook was clearly designed to replace the 13” MBA which at the time did not have a retina screen. The problem was that the retina screen was still too expensive for Apple to get the price down to Air prices so it ended up being more expensive. Between the price, the lack of ports, and the slow chipset, the MB just never could gain much traction over the MBA.

If they could bring out a device like a 12” MB, there is nothing that would make it more premium than a 13” MBA. The only benefit would be size and weight. It would have to also be cheaper to sell in any quantity that would interest Apple.

That would be nice, but I’m not sure that there is enough interest and enough price flexibility to make it happen and I had an iPhone 12 Mini and still have an 11.5” MBA.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
If they could bring out a device like a 12” MB, there is nothing that would make it more premium than a 13” MBA. The only benefit would be size and weight.

Small size and weight *is* more premium.

Electronic items like this follow a cost/pricing bell curve. In the middle size is the most cost efficiency. As sizes go up, so does material usage, statistical flaw rates, handling costs, etc, so prices go up. As sizes go down, complexity goes up - and the engineering costs for the miniaturization / layout / packaging efforts become significant.

OliveroNYC

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2020
NYC
This would be an instant buy for me.
I have a 13-inch M3, but would love something smaller and lighter again for travel. Not such a big fan of iPads so no sale would be lost for Apple.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.