Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah we need at displays. It's annoying when using the S pen and it slides off the screen.

I also REALLY WANT a Tempered Glass screen protector. These cheap Zagg hybrid ones are no bueno.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah we need at displays. It's annoying when using the S pen and it slides off the screen.

I also REALLY WANT a Tempered Glass screen protector. These cheap Zagg hybrid ones are no bueno.
I hate glass screen protectors. Decent film ones all the way for me. Sadly they're increasingly hard to find thanks to you tempered glass fans.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
My biggest hope is that they stick with Snapdragon and don't bring back Exynos! Will the S24 Ultra get a redesign? obviously we can't know for sure until it's announced, However Samsung have used the same design for the last couple of years. Could next year be the biggest upgrade?

Reactions: winxmac

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Galaxy S24 series could come out even sooner and bring with it a brand new product that could steal the limelight away from the phones.

I would actually buy a Galaxy ring, since I carry an iPhone and Samsung device. I refuse to wear two watches at once. But at least with a AW and a Galaxy ring, I can have health stats from both platforms. Even sleep.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I would actually buy a Galaxy ring, since I carry an iPhone and Samsung device. I refuse to wear two watches at once. But at least with a AW and a Galaxy ring, I can have health stats from both platforms. Even sleep.
Experiencing both worlds is the way to go these days otherwise you risk the stagnation especially that is now so evident with

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

That is a good point, I have the Apple Watch Ultra because of exercising and competing in marathons. But as a general health device a Galaxy ring could be useful, being able to wear both Apple Watch and a Galaxy ring could be a good compromise.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

It appears the S24U will use Snapdragon worldwide after all… but the S24/S24+ is rumored to be using Exynos in Europe

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Crazy because it literally takes away the differentiator between Samsung and Apple for me. As someone who's been waffling since switching to Samsung, 10x has been one of the biggest strong points for me staying on Samsung.

Now I'm considering either switching to foldables or going back to Apple.

Reactions: aggie99

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Crazy because it literally takes away the differentiator between Samsung and Apple for me. As someone who's been waffling since switching to Samsung, 10x has been one of the biggest strong points for me staying on Samsung.

Now I'm considering either switching to foldables or going back to Apple.
to me the sensible thing to do here is stick with the S23u

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It really does make me wonder what the selling point of this phone will be. If they're taking away the 10x Optical, there are going to have to be some other improvements. Unless the flat display is the big improvement this time.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Technically, the rumored 50MP 5x sensor is bigger than the 10MP periscope shooter that Samsung currently uses on the Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Coupled with a wider aperture, the 50MP camera should take in more light and capture more detailed photos, which could be useful in poor lighting conditions. Samsung can then rely on the additional details and its AI prowess to offer 10x zoom with almost no visible decline in quality.

Google already does something similar with the Pixel 7 Pro, using its bigger 48MP 5x periscope shooter and Super Res Zoom to offer up to 30x digital zoom. While image quality takes a big hit at higher zoom levels, the phone can capture more than usable pictures between 6-15x zoom range.

ref: Android Police

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Technically, the rumored 50MP 5x sensor is bigger than the 10MP periscope shooter that Samsung currently uses on the Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Coupled with a wider aperture, the 50MP camera should take in more light and capture more detailed photos, which could be useful in poor lighting conditions. Samsung can then rely on the additional details and its AI prowess to offer 10x zoom with almost no visible decline in quality.

Google already does something similar with the Pixel 7 Pro, using its bigger 48MP 5x periscope shooter and Super Res Zoom to offer up to 30x digital zoom. While image quality takes a big hit at higher zoom levels, the phone can capture more than usable pictures between 6-15x zoom range.

ref: Android Police
Thanks for this info! I was curious about that.

Reactions: Tulani

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Hoping if the S24 Ultra does go titanium, they have the QC under control. I'm reading some threads in the iPhone forum. Sounds like there are reports that where the glass back hits the titanium frame, there are sharp edges and it's very uncomfortable to hold without a case.

Reactions: Dave245

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Hoping if the S24 Ultra does go titanium, they have the QC under control. I'm reading some threads in the iPhone forum. Sounds like there are reports that where the glass back hits the titanium frame, there are sharp edges and it's very uncomfortable to hold without a case.
More fingerprint magnet than stainless steel as well

Samsung will have more time to learn from this

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

Glad I cancelled my 15 Pro Max 😬

Reactions: JohnRckr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah think they will stick with feb/march

if they really wanted to fight apple with release dates they would release in October/November

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.