Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Smart move.

The display is really nice. I said it was the best laptop screen on the market and I am not kidding. The MBP with Mini led gets brighter but not by much in SDR. The anti-reflective properties of the s24 ultra and galaxybook 4 series is a seemingly subtle difference but in my opinion it makes a bigger difference day to day than most people may think. On top of it because the effect is subtle most people might not even notice it. But it is a really big deal. Knowing me if Arrow Lake arrives early next year I will either sell or trade my GB4P360 and get it.

Arm is very interesting but I like x64 better for now.
The new QD-OLEDS by Samsung in 2024 also have some amazing anti-reflective coatings. Maybe they are the same across all their new products? That are getting a lot of praise.

I have the 2023 QD-OLED and for me Samsungs aggressive approval towards anti-reflective coatings has always drove my purchase decisions on TV's towards their lineup. I wish all manufacturers did the same. It's a pretty big deal for those of us with bright living rooms with lots of windows.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah I don't use them as the selection is bad
For me, they are enough for now. Most important ones that I need are there: reminders, weather, calendar events, alarms, battery, etc. But I do wish to get a wider selection, like sports scores for example.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Let's hope it's true and Bixby becomes better. I like how Samsung is rushing to stay innovative in the AI field. They are much quicker than Apple at bringing new tech to the masses, which is another reason I value their proposition, even though they still can get better at software integration.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Played around with the Ultra for a few hours. It's back in the box ready to return unfortunately. The experiment lasted way shorter than I anticipated. I'm glad I gave it a go.

Hardware is GREAT and I was surprised how much the S Pen was useful for some tasks like cropping and selecting text. The screen is amazing, I'm going to miss the anti glare stuff the most. I can't speak for long term durability but anyone saying Android phones can't match Apple's build quality haven't picked up an S24 Ultra. The only thing that was subpar was the fingerprint scanner, I had to add the same thumb three times to get a seamless experience.

I just can't get on with Android. Don't get me wrong I can see why people like it, I'm not a hater, there's so many adjustments and tweaks that are desperately missing from iOS. Being able to go back by swiping from the right side of the screen is really nice but the compromise is you can't swipe right to go forward in whatever app you're using (Chrome for example).

It's the overall polish and design language that's inconsistent for me vs. iOS. Font sizes are all over the place. In Twitter the font is massive, in Chrome the font is medium size, and in other apps the font is too small. I played around with the screen zoom and font size settings on the device but couldn't get everything to look consistent. I agree with MKBHD, even Google's own apps look better on iPhone. The system integration with my password manager didn't work so great either, I have to jump between the password manager app and the app I want to fill in with my credentials because not every app recognized the password manager for some reason. I didn't like the multitasking menu, it didn't feel smooth. Some of the animations felt very unnatural and disjointed. Overall so many apps felt like they were using totally different design and animation principles.

My conclusion is that Android has a lot of things I like but most of the prime advantages over iOS (specifically multi app split screen usage which is what I really had high hopes for) weren't enough to sway me. There was nothing on the S24 Ultra that could justify owning and using it over my iPhone. Now a folding phone where split screen apps make more sense might be a big enough feature boost over my iPhone...

You might think this is a sin but my takeaway is I want the S24 Ultra hardware with iOS as the software 🤷‍♂️

I might wait to see what the Pixel 9 Pro is like and try again with Google's stock Android. That or wait for the next generation of foldables. I really want a foldable iPhone but that's years away (or potentially never coming)

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Played around with the Ultra for a few hours. It's back in the box ready to return unfortunately. The experiment lasted way shorter than I anticipated. I'm glad I gave it a go.

Hardware is GREAT and I was surprised how much the S Pen was useful for some tasks like cropping and selecting text. The screen is amazing, I'm going to miss the anti glare stuff the most. I can't speak for long term durability but anyone saying Android phones can't match Apple's build quality haven't picked up an S24 Ultra. The only thing that was subpar was the fingerprint scanner, I had to add the same thumb three times to get a seamless experience.

I just can't get on with Android. Don't get me wrong I can see why people like it, I'm not a hater, there's so many adjustments and tweaks that are desperately missing from iOS. Being able to go back by swiping from the right side of the screen is really nice but the compromise is you can't swipe right to go forward in whatever app you're using (Chrome for example).

It's the overall polish and design language that's inconsistent for me vs. iOS. Font sizes are all over the place. In Twitter the font is massive, in Chrome the font is medium size, and in other apps the font is too small. I played around with the screen zoom and font size settings on the device but couldn't get everything to look consistent. I agree with MKBHD, even Google's own apps look better on iPhone. The system integration with my password manager didn't work so great either, I have to jump between the password manager app and the app I want to fill in with my credentials because not every app recognized the password manager for some reason. I didn't like the multitasking menu, it didn't feel smooth. Some of the animations felt very unnatural and disjointed. Overall so many apps felt like they were using totally different design and animation principles.

My conclusion is that Android has a lot of things I like but most of the prime advantages over iOS (specifically multi app split screen usage which is what I really had high hopes for) weren't enough to sway me. There was nothing on the S24 Ultra that could justify owning and using it over my iPhone. Now a folding phone where split screen apps make more sense might be a big enough feature boost over my iPhone...

You might think this is a sin but my takeaway is I want the S24 Ultra hardware with iOS as the software 🤷‍♂️

I might wait to see what the Pixel 9 Pro is like and try again with Google's stock Android. That or wait for the next generation of foldables. I really want a foldable iPhone but that's years away (or potentially never coming)
At least you gave it a try.

Android will never be taken seriously until Google demands that designers (including Google designers themselves) write polished apps that follow the Material You guidelines. This is Google's fault. They don't even care enough to ensure their own apps follow their own design language (some apps have a transparent status, others don't; some have a transparent home bar, others don't; some have a Material You icon, others don't [such as Translate, WTH??]).

Google doesn't respect its own ecosystem or phone. I don't know how other developers can.

Nonetheless, I really like Android. It has so much potential if Google would just care.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
At least you gave it a try.

Android will never be taken seriously until Google demands that designers (including Google designers themselves) write polished apps that follow the Material You guidelines. This is Google's fault. They don't even care enough to ensure their own apps follow their own design language (some apps have a transparent status, others don't; some have a transparent home bar, others don't; some have a Material You icon, others don't [such as Translate, WTH??]).

Google doesn't respect its own ecosystem or phone. I don't know how other developers can.

Nonetheless, I really like Android. It has so much potential if Google would just care.

Yeah all the Material You stuff is great and I really like it. Dare I say it's more aesthetically pleasing to me than iOS design language. I think I saw so many great examples of Material You from Pixel users that I expected something similar with One UI.

You're 100% correct.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I love Material You design, but don't like the subpar [H]ardware on the Pixel's. And I love the [H]ardware on the S24 Ultra, but OneUI isn't as consistent and beautiful as Material You.

To me a S24 Ultra type high-end spec'd phone running a stock AOSP type UI like Lineage OS would be the best smartphone on the planet.

But as a diehard Nexus / Pixel guy since 2010, I will say this S24 Ultra is mind-blowing amazing. I'm not a Samsung fan guy whatsoever, but I will admit the truth, I find the S24U to be the best Android I've ever used, and will probably be the top of 2024.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I love Material You design, but don't like the subpar [H]ardware on the Pixel's. And I love the [H]ardware on the S24 Ultra, but OneUI isn't as consistent and beautiful as Material You.

To me a S24 Ultra type high-end spec'd phone running a stock AOSP type UI like Lineage OS would be the best smartphone on the planet.

But as a diehard Nexus / Pixel guy since 2010, I will say this S24 Ultra is mind-blowing amazing. I'm not a Samsung fan guy whatsoever, but I will admit the truth, I find the S24U to be the best Android I've ever used, and will probably be the top of 2024.
Funny but this design aesthetics consistency across apps has never bothered me. I see it more conformity and boring if I could be bothered to pay any attention to it

Empowerment and functionality mixed with users choice is key to me and Samsung phones are full of that on top of great hardware

I'm too busy doing stuff on my phone to worry about transparencies etc :D

But each to their own

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Funny but this design aesthetics consistency across apps has never bothered me. I see it more conformity and boring if I could be bothered to pay any attention to it

Empowerment and functionality mixed with users choice is key to me and Samsung phones are full of that on top of great hardware

I'm too busy doing stuff on my phone to worry about transparencies etc :D

But each to their own

Same here... there are inconsistencies within every UI and associated app offerings. I tend to gloss over them and focus more on overall capabilities.

iOS to me has become more of a cattle chute on the way to making soylent green than anything else ;)

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
The system integration with my password manager didn't work so great either, I have to jump between the password manager app and the app I want to fill in with my credentials because not every app recognized the password manager for some reason.
What password manager are you using? Moot point now since you've returned the phone, but I've found Bitwarden to work very well on my S24+ and Android in general. You need to enable some settings and also accessibility settings but once done it works almost every time for me on websites and apps.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
That's a really well rounded review. I completely agree as well, even as an iPhone user. I wish Apple's ecosystem wasn't so sticky to be honest, it's like when your in it's so hard to escape.
The big stickiness for most people in the ecosystem ain’t the iPhone it’s the Watch and the Mac. Both products underwent huge changes recently. The iPhone is where Apple always plays it safe and boring. I guess most like it boring.

The consensus here and on Twitter tech space is Apple needs to hit it off at WWDC or risk falling sales in territories other than the US.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
He's just found out the empowerment that comes with Android, its always been there in various forms over Iphones but its not until you need it do you realise.

Most simply think it cant be done, (on their Iphones) and give up. As he notes there is normally a solution to found on Android.

It's a shame Samsung or another 3rd party have not written the equivalent of link to windows/windows phone link for MacOS, then the only entrapment remaining would be AW for some.

Reactions: edubfromktown

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The big stickiness for most people in the ecosystem ain’t the iPhone it’s the Watch and the Mac. Both products underwent huge changes recently. The iPhone is where Apple always plays it safe and boring. I guess most like it boring.

The consensus here and on Twitter tech space is Apple needs to hit it off at WWDC or risk falling sales in territories other than the US.
This is true! The Apple Watch is the best smartwatch in my opinion. I think if Apple let people use their Apple Watch on Android, more people would move over. I also agree about the Mac, I personally feel it's a lot better than Windows.

The iPhone is boring and familiar, in one way it's good but in another it really isn't. I have a S24 Ultra on the way, I just can't resist the OneUi, IOS is just boring in comparison but that's not to say I don't like IOS. The phone get's the job done, but it's also stale and is in need of features that Android has (Circle to search, multitasking and lots more).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I love my AWU it is the best smartwatch on the market imho. Even as a standalone timepiece it is awesome.
But I think Mac notebooks are way behind other market leaders in hardware features. I mean c'mon Apple its time to put touchscreen on Macbooks! Then there are combo laptops that can fold and present better viewing angles.
I think Apple is too afraid to hurt iPad sales if they add touchscreen to Macbooks. But in the end they hurt themselves as other hardware makers are adding more features for less money.
My $700 HP touchscreen 2-in1 performs just as nice as my MBA 15 inch for a LOT less.

I totally agree with you that Apple needs to impress at WWDC this year or alienate more of its customer base.
But make no mistake here...I am not saying Apple is doomed! lol They have the funds and leadership to right the ship so to speak.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
This is true! The Apple Watch is the best smartwatch in my opinion. I think if Apple let people use their Apple Watch on Android, more people would move over. I also agree about the Mac, I personally feel it's a lot better than Windows.

The iPhone is boring and familiar, in one way it's good but in another it really isn't. I have a S24 Ultra on the way, I just can't resist the OneUi, IOS is just boring in comparison but that's not to say I don't like IOS. The phone get's the job done, but it's also stale and is in need of features that Android has (Circle to search, multitasking and lots more).
Let's not get into Windows or MacOS being better. We have enough to deal with on this thread with the S24/Ultra/plus. Lol

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024

I love my AWU it is the best smartwatch on the market imho. Even as a standalone timepiece it is awesome.
But I think Mac notebooks are way behind other market leaders in hardware features. I mean c'mon Apple its time to put touchscreen on Macbooks! Then there are combo laptops that can fold and present better viewing angles.
I think Apple is too afraid to hurt iPad sales if they add touchscreen to Macbooks. But in the end they hurt themselves as other hardware makers are adding more features for less money.
My $700 HP touchscreen 2-in1 performs just as nice as my MBA 15 inch for a LOT less.

I totally agree with you that Apple needs to impress at WWDC this year or alienate more of its customer base.
But make no mistake here...I am not saying Apple is doomed! lol They have the funds and leadership to right the ship so to speak.
The only major time Apple does something big for iPhone either software or hardware is when sales are falling or investor demand i.e AI is a big want from Apple investors now.

So Apple has to show and show it big. Samsung/Google got a headstart with the S24 lineup. When people think A.I. on phones they think GalaxyAI. See the number of ads that Samsung is outputting. So much so that S24 were selling insanely well in Korea after a lull.

This WWDC will impact Apples software for the next few years like iOS 7 did in 2013.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.