Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Always a case, every phone is just to damn slippery without case. But this is the first phone in like forever that I don't use a screen protector on, the non reflective screen is just too good.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Always a case, every phone is just too damn slippery without a case. But this is the first phone in like forever that I don't use a screen protector on, the non-reflective screen is just too good.

Each phone is different. My Pixel 8 Pro is slippery as wet soap with no case. That phone cannot be used at all without a case, it's just way too slick and will fall or slip off something.

The S24U actually has some stickiness to it, naked it feels great of course, but also has good grip ability.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I am currently on an iPhone 15 but will probably move to Galaxy S25U.

I am tired of Apples BS and honestly now with Samsung offering 7 years of updates and Qualcomm moving to their own CPU cores, I am 100% confident it will be beast of a phone.

The Ultras do not disappoint.
It's a great phone indeed, but the iOS habits die hard

Reactions: MisterMillz

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Received my S24 Ultra today, I love this new green colour :)

To take the best photos, should I keep intelligent optimisation tuned on? there are 3 options, maximum, medium and minimum. But then on maximum setting there is another option for scene optimiser.
Think it makes most sense for you for an android device

Hopefully works out for you this time

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Samsung sales are up in almost every region.

This is best line of phones since the S8, S10 in terms of sales and interest.

Also Samsung did the advertising of the screen:

I am glad Samsung is doing good this year so far. Yea the screen on S24U is superb compared to any other phone.
BTW it seems like another update is on its way to improve the camera, can't wait for that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carrotstick

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Lowkey missing the S24 Ultra lol, maybe I should have kept it a little longer before returning but I was worried about scratching it and not being able to return.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Comparison between the Xiaomi 14 Ultra & Samsung S24 Ultra. Overall they seem equal to me.

Equal in that the strengths of one make up for the strengths of the other. From what I've seen the 14 Ultra's cameras are spectacular for stills (and video to a degree) but the overall software polish and hardware feel of the S24 Ultra is better. One thing about the 14 Ultra is that its image processing is not going to be to everyone's taste because they don't do the oversharpening and HDR stuff that everyone else does; i.e the stuff that makes it look like a smartphone. Personally I like the more traditional look of the 14 Ultra.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Equal in that the strengths of one make up for the strengths of the other. From what I've seen the 14 Ultra's cameras are spectacular for stills (and video to a degree) but the overall software polish and hardware feel of the S24 Ultra is better. One thing about the 14 Ultra is that its image processing is not going to be to everyone's taste because they don't do the oversharpening and HDR stuff that everyone else does; i.e the stuff that makes it look like a smartphone. Personally I like the more traditional look of the 14 Ultra.

yeah agreed.

I've spent a fair amount of time working out what to turn off to make the s24u's images more natural. The updates seem to be pushing that way too which is good but I would still like a simple "natural look on" which would kill most/all of the fancy stuff. (there are ways around it like using expert raw etc)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Think it makes most sense for you for an android device

Hopefully works out for you this time
Yea I think it does, the S24 Ultra is my ultimate Android tinkering device as a second phone. I love the level of customisation, the SPen and the cameras, I'm taking some awesome pictures with both the S24 Ultra AND my iPhone 15 Pro Max. The Ultra is obviously being used for zoom shots, especially one's that go beyond the 5x zoom.

There are things that I prefer on the iPhone, I think that will always be the case. However there are things I also like on the S24 Ultra, the build quality is great, the battery life so far is on par if not better than on my 15 Pro Max.

I'm happy I once again have the S24 Ultra, especially now it's alongside my iPhone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yea I think it does, the S24 Ultra is my ultimate Android tinkering device as a second phone. I love the level of customisation, the SPen and the cameras, I'm taking some awesome pictures with both the S24 Ultra AND my iPhone 15 Pro Max. The Ultra is obviously being used for zoom shots, especially one's that go beyond the 5x zoom.

There are things that I prefer on the iPhone, I think that will always be the case. However there are things I also like on the S24 Ultra, the build quality is great, the battery life so far is on par if not better than on my 15 Pro Max.

I'm happy I once again have the S24 Ultra, especially now it's alongside my iPhone.
Yeah as an overall device it’s hard to argue against it being the best device out there

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Comparison between the Xiaomi 14 Ultra & Samsung S24 Ultra. Overall they seem equal to me.

For me...even if the 14 Ultra beats the S24U in camera...The S24U more than makes up for it in zoom and monthly security updates for 7 years and the upgrade to Android 15 is guaranteed.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Not clear skies... but some ok snaps :)
65650cfb3f2ffb5fa086f846a9034455.jpg
cd8cb70b6e8f543fb0015f46027d0182.jpg
ed190347b08b37e19b4100f8c62c8a84.jpg

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK

I was surprised how weak the 14 Ultra’s battery life compared to the S24 Ultra, got to wonder what’s going on there. Also for a phone that sells itself on its cameras the selfie camera is also more like a midrange phone on the 14 Ultra.

Reactions: zakarhino
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.