Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Well, I'm one of those who won't go caseless. I've just dropped my phones too much to do that. I know it feels great without the case but it's just too risky, for me. Goodluck.
Whilst I don’t drop phones often, I’m quite uptight about marks on my devices so sadly it’s always a screen protector and case for myself.

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
Samsung's mobile phone is very good. However, it is absolutely not recommended to use it in mainland China. The experience is very bad.

• Wow
Reactions: hovscorpion12

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
So today I briefly set up and logged into my 15PM just to see if I am missing something (it was lying in the drawer ready to be sold) and boy I am immediately pissed;

1. Browsing is full of ads, and if I want to browse ad free I immediately have to pay sub for blocker (free and working well on Android)
2. No option to have YouTube Revanced on iOS (I am exploring third party store option now) so I have to pay yet again for ad free and background play - free on Android.
3. AirPods Pro that I have used with Ultra can’t switch without resetting (amazing apple ecosystem)
4. Man the default camera app sucks compared to OneUI
5. ****ing everything costs money in Apple ecosystem, while on Android there is always a way to get it for free without sacrificing on quality
6. 5gb cloud by default pretty much makes you spend money on iCloud +if you want to use the phone to the fullest. Prices are insane compared to Google solution.
7. “Dynamic Island” is stupid and the hole in the middle is quite disruptive, but only Apple can take that and market it as an insane feature so that people can stand in queues.
8. Files app is a joke.

Will be going back to drawer.. Gotta give iPhone one thing though, the battery life compared to Ultra is superb. And I don’t even have many apps on my Ultra, but the phone does not last more than a day.

Just needed to vent these things that immediately pissed me off the second I set up the phone.

Last edited:

Rockhouse

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
So today I briefly set up and logged into my 15PM just to see if I am missing something (it was lying in the drawer ready to be sold) and boy I am immediately pissed;

1. Browsing is full of ads, and if I want to browse ad free I immediately have to pay sub for blocker (free and working well on Android)
2. No option to have YouTube Revanced on iOS (I am exploring third party store option now) so I have to pay yet again for ad free and background play - free on Android.
3. AirPods Pro that I have used with Ultra can’t switch without resetting (amazing apple ecosystem)
5. ****ing everything costs money in Apple ecosystem, while on Android there is always a way to get it for free without sacrificing on quality
6. 5gb cloud by default pretty much makes you spend money on iCloud +if you want to use the phone to the fullest. Prices are insane compared to Google solution.
7. “Dynamic Island” is stupid and the hole in the middle is quite disruptive, but only Apple can take that and market it as an insane feature so that people can stand in queues.

Will be going back to drawer.. Gotta give iPhone one thing though, the battery life compared to Ultra is superb. And I don’t even have many apps on my Ultra, but the phone does not last more than a day.

Just needed to vent these things that immediately pissed me off the second I set up the phone.
I use Adguard which is free and I never see ads in Safari (YouTube included).

As an alternative to the YouTube app, I use Video Lite which is fantastic. Musi is another great app for more music-oriented people.

I don't like the Dynamic Island but I know why it's there. Please tell me what alternative you'd like to see instead with today's technology. A huge forehead or the notch?

I know this post will mean nothing to you, but hopefully it can help someone else.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

8. Files app is a joke.

Oh the stages of going back to iOS. You're on stage 1. Stage 2 will be "I tried the iPhone 15PM again and actually prefer a lot of the little things, but I'm going to tough it out with my Ultra".

You don't want to know what Stage 3 is. LOL

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I use Adguard which is free and I never see ads in Safari (YouTube included).

As an alternative to the YouTube app, I use Video Lite which is fantastic. Musi is another great app for more music-oriented people.

I don't like the Dynamic Island but I know why it's there. Please tell me what alternative you'd like to see instead with today's technology. A huge forehead or the notch?

I know this post will mean nothing to you, but hopefully it can help someone else.
I don't have to figure this out for Apple...I want THEM to figure this out and find a better solution that does not include a huge forehead as you indicated. I think we should expect more from technology companies. We don't have figure it out for them. that is their job to wow us with new and innovative products and technology.

Rockhouse

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
I don't have to figure this out for Apple...I want THEM to figure this out and find a better solution that does not include a huge forehead as you indicated. I think we should expect more from technology companies. We don't have figure it out for them. that is their job to wow us with new and innovative products and technology.
I agree. But he said the Dynamic Island was a stupid idea and I'm just saying we have to deal with it since there is no real solution for now. I mean, if big players like Samsung can't hide a single punch hole camera behind the screen, imagine doing the same with the camera AND the Face ID sensors. Anyway, this thread should be about the S24 series. Sorry for off topic.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
PS. Dynamic Island is one of my favorite features that a phone has ever had.

I found Dynamic Island confusing. You have this big oval thing at the top of the phone, and I guess it was good for music playing and media but that was about it. I was always confused if you had multiple live activities going, which one took precedence over the other. Also, the swiping added to my confusion. I think it was a decent idea that could have used some fine tuning and been made even better.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I found Dynamic Island confusing. You have this big oval thing at the top of the phone, and I guess it was good for music playing and media but that was about it. I was always confused if you had multiple live activities going, which one took precedence over the other. Also, the swiping added to my confusion. I think it was a decent idea that could have used some fine tuning and been made even better.
That is kinda my thoughts too. I mean I like how it works on some apps and not so much on others.....
Dynamic island seems like an after thought to make use of the space in the notch...

Reactions: Tig Bitties

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I
That is kinda my thoughts too. I mean I like how it works on some apps and not so much on others.....
Dynamic island seems like an after thought to make use of the space in the notch...
Actually I think that the third party apps on Android that imitate dynamic island are even better, customizable. Which shows that Dynamic Island is nothing but software feature (apart from the actual hole ofc). They could have pushed it in an update, but nah, gotta market the **** out of it Apple style.

Reactions: jamezr

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I

Actually I think that the third party apps on Android that imitate dynamic island are even better, customizable. Which shows that Dynamic Island is nothing but software feature (apart from the actual hole ofc). They could have pushed it in an update, but nah, gotta market the **** out of it Apple style.

I'm new to Android (More like relearning Android), so what do you mean by third party apps that imitate dynamic island?

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I'm new to Android (More like relearning Android), so what do you mean by third party apps that imitate dynamic island?
I mean apps that will imitate the pill shaped dynamic island on iphones and its functions... but better. DynamicSpot is by far the best one. You can customize the size of it, placement, what it does and so on.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA

I was going to ask about the battery life on the ultra. It seems like it's pretty poor compared to the other phones (Apple mostly) I've had. It lasts a while, but I expected more than a day. It seems like it drains pretty quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.