Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Saw someone post a screen shot of their homescreen on XDA, and wow, this looks crazy.

brouwerchris

Stock S24 U , NO ROOT :
Reev Pro icons
One UI Home , with GoodLock ThemePark

Attachments

• 1000048326.jpg
    1000048326.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 98

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I

Actually I think that the third party apps on Android that imitate dynamic island are even better, customizable. Which shows that Dynamic Island is nothing but software feature (apart from the actual hole ofc). They could have pushed it in an update, but nah, gotta market the **** out of it Apple style.
I don’t see how Dynamic Island would have worked well on the notch phones. It would have been asymmetrical and animations would have been as smooth. there isn’t any space to extend horizontally as the notch takes up too much space.

The iPhone 13/14 notches could have made it work since they are smaller but the pill iPhones do have a display in between the FaceID and camera for the privacy dots which the notch phones don’t.

With that said it’s a smart tactic till they put the cameras underneath. It’s fun and I don’t even mind the silliness of it.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
****ing everything costs money in Apple ecosystem, while on Android there is always a way to get it for free without sacrificing on quality
Look the indie apps on the App
Store, there are countless indie apps that are free and good.

Decoupled is an indie music app that is really good. It’s a local music player that allows to play your music library and you have to deal with Apple Music/Spotify. You use use the files app to move songs or use FTP via web on your PC
5gb cloud by default pretty much makes you spend money on iCloud +if you want to use the phone to the fullest. Prices are insane compared to Google solution.
Agree. So dumb.
Browsing is full of ads, and if I want to browse ad free I immediately have to pay sub for blocker (free and working well on Android)
This is not true unless you mean default safari with no ad blockers. You can get free ad blockers.
Man the default camera app sucks compared to OneUI
say it so louder. 100% agree.

Reactions: JohnRckr

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
No option to have YouTube Revanced on iOS (I am exploring third party store option now) so I have to pay yet again for ad free and background play - free on Android.
Missed this one. I use Brave Browser on iPhone. You play YouTube offline and background play works seemlessly.

Brave is such a good browser IMO.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So today I briefly set up and logged into my 15PM just to see if I am missing something (it was lying in the drawer ready to be sold) and boy I am immediately pissed;

1. Browsing is full of ads, and if I want to browse ad free I immediately have to pay sub for blocker (free and working well on Android)
2. No option to have YouTube Revanced on iOS (I am exploring third party store option now) so I have to pay yet again for ad free and background play - free on Android.
3. AirPods Pro that I have used with Ultra can’t switch without resetting (amazing apple ecosystem)
4. Man the default camera app sucks compared to OneUI
5. ****ing everything costs money in Apple ecosystem, while on Android there is always a way to get it for free without sacrificing on quality
6. 5gb cloud by default pretty much makes you spend money on iCloud +if you want to use the phone to the fullest. Prices are insane compared to Google solution.
7. “Dynamic Island” is stupid and the hole in the middle is quite disruptive, but only Apple can take that and market it as an insane feature so that people can stand in queues.
8. Files app is a joke.

Will be going back to drawer.. Gotta give iPhone one thing though, the battery life compared to Ultra is superb. And I don’t even have many apps on my Ultra, but the phone does not last more than a day.

Just needed to vent these things that immediately pissed me off the second I set up the phone.
Is YouTube Revanced safe? Makes me nervous logging my account there.

Reactions: JohnRckr

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
So today I briefly set up and logged into my 15PM just to see if I am missing something (it was lying in the drawer ready to be sold) and boy I am immediately pissed;

1. Browsing is full of ads, and if I want to browse ad free I immediately have to pay sub for blocker (free and working well on Android)
2. No option to have YouTube Revanced on iOS (I am exploring third party store option now) so I have to pay yet again for ad free and background play - free on Android.
3. AirPods Pro that I have used with Ultra can’t switch without resetting (amazing apple ecosystem)
5. ****ing everything costs money in Apple ecosystem, while on Android there is always a way to get it for free without sacrificing on quality
6. 5gb cloud by default pretty much makes you spend money on iCloud +if you want to use the phone to the fullest. Prices are insane compared to Google solution.
7. “Dynamic Island” is stupid and the hole in the middle is quite disruptive, but only Apple can take that and market it as an insane feature so that people can stand in queues.
8. Files app is a joke.

Will be going back to drawer.. Gotta give iPhone one thing though, the battery life compared to Ultra is superb. And I don’t even have many apps on my Ultra, but the phone does not last more than a day.

Just needed to vent these things that immediately pissed me off the second I set up the phone.
I find the ultra battery far better than my iPhone 15PM. I don’t really rate the 15 PM battery life at all

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I agree. But he said the Dynamic Island was a stupid idea and I'm just saying we have to deal with it since there is no real solution for now. I mean, if big players like Samsung can't hide a single punch hole camera behind the screen, imagine doing the same with the camera AND the Face ID sensors. Anyway, this thread should be about the S24 series. Sorry for off topic.
I always thought the dynamic island was them trying to make the notch even more obnoxious, the notch from x to 12 was ok, the 13 pro's smaller but ate into more real estate (good job apple) and now it keeps it's transition to the middle of the screen seemingly... and When I briefly had the 15 pro non max, it made swiping down for notifications even harder with a massive screen deadspot.

hockeyfan81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
One thing I noticed about the S24 ultra is that you can see your fingers even when the screen is on.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I always thought the dynamic island was them trying to make the notch even more obnoxious, the notch from x to 12 was ok, the 13 pro's smaller but ate into more real estate (good job apple) and now it keeps it's transition to the middle of the screen seemingly... and When I briefly had the 15 pro non max, it made swiping down for notifications even harder with a massive screen deadspot.
Won’t buy an another iPhone till they move the camera and faceID underneath the display as I have the 15 now. It’s in their leaked roadmap but they are saving for the 20th anniversary probably.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

8. Files app is a joke.

For #1 Get this app ‘ Wipr ‘ ( paid, no subscription bs ) and works flawlessly on ever website, including MR ! No more pop ups or annoying ads.

Reactions: drinkingtea

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I would like to switch from swipe gestures to 3 button navigation automatically when the S Pen is ejected. Perhaps it can be done with Tasker?

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
What makes it very bad to use in mainland China?
First of all, for political reasons, mainland China has blocked Google and turned to built-in Baidu search (Baidu search and its difficult to use) in mobile phones. Second, the mainland China version of Samsung mobile phone has built-in many mainland China's "rooligan apps", such as Baidu, Taobao, JD.com, Tencent, Security Guard 360, etc. Third, for political reasons and the so-called national security, the Chinese version of Samsung mobile phones has castrated some foreign versions of Samsung mobile phones with their default functions, such as: very easy-to-use Samsung Pass, and Samsung Pay lock zone (can only bind UnionPay banks issued by mainland Chinese banks) Card, unable to bind the bank card of other payment organizations)

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

8. Files app is a joke.

This is exactly why I sold my 15PM early into using the S24+. You need to just quit cold turkey, rip the band-aid off!

First of all, for political reasons, mainland China has blocked Google and turned to built-in Baidu search (Baidu search and its difficult to use) in mobile phones. Second, the mainland China version of Samsung mobile phone has built-in many mainland China's "rooligan apps", such as Baidu, Taobao, JD.com, Tencent, Security Guard 360, etc. Third, for political reasons and the so-called national security, the Chinese version of Samsung mobile phones has castrated some foreign versions of Samsung mobile phones with their default functions, such as: very easy-to-use Samsung Pass, and Samsung Pay lock zone (can only bind UnionPay banks issued by mainland Chinese banks) Card, unable to bind the bank card of other payment organizations)

I am visiting Hong Kong and mainland China next week for a couple of weeks. I have an unlocked US Galaxy S24+ with T-Mobile that has international data and calls. I'm also using Express VPN which works in China, supposedly. Already use WeChat and registered with AliPay. How does any of your above comment affect me? Genuinely curious.

• Love
Reactions: Technerd108

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
miss droid man...my iphone just bricked itself trying to update over itunes, I did research and I'm guessing the wifi was weaking and it messed up the update.

Imao but when does Itunes do full and over the air is for the phone only?

makes no sense here.

So it's bricked and I need to restore and update but itunes is taking hours, 3rd party software is pay.

Really miss my droid at times like these, I can erase and reset with the bootsystem.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I use Adguard which is free and I never see ads in Safari (YouTube included).

As an alternative to the YouTube app, I use Video Lite which is fantastic. Musi is another great app for more music-oriented people.

I don't like the Dynamic Island but I know why it's there. Please tell me what alternative you'd like to see instead with today's technology. A huge forehead or the notch?

I know this post will mean nothing to you, but hopefully it can help someone else.
1. you're not a scumbag enough to see the ads in safari with adguard enabled, if you were a true scumbag you'd see tons of ads.

never heard of video lite but most apple apps are $$$

Anyways my phone bricked and without itunes I'm gonna come out of pocket.

So yeah this sucks man

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
This is exactly why I sold my 15PM early into using the S24+. You need to just quit cold turkey, rip the band-aid off!

I am visiting Hong Kong and mainland China next week for a couple of weeks. I have an unlocked US Galaxy S24+ with T-Mobile that has international data and calls. I'm also using Express VPN which works in China, supposedly. Already use WeChat and registered with AliPay. How does any of your above comment affect me? Genuinely curious.
Foreign versions of Samsung mobile phones + foreign mobile phone numbers will not be affected in mainland China, but be careful about the information monitoring of the Chinese government. Because foreign mobile phone numbers need to be borrowed from China's telecommunications network base stations for communication when roaming in China. You know, communist countries have always been closely monitoring and monitoring all kinds of information in their own countries (including the mobile phones of foreigners who travel to China and do business) to prevent any possible information dissemination that subverts their regime.

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022

It's a pity that you signed up for WeChat and Alipay. WeChat, Weibo and other Chinese social software, whether in China or abroad, are closely monitored and monitored by the Communist Party of China. As a mainland Chinese, my suggestion is: I suggest that you bring your iPhone into mainland China to contact. Android phones (Android is an open source system after all) are easily implanted with Trojan viruses by the Communist Party of China. In addition, it is recommended that you do not talk about any sensitive information in WeChat, including: political, military and various sensitive information seen in China (including that you may see ordinary people protest against the local government, etc.). Of course, the best way is not to log in to your registered WeChat account and log out of it immediately.)

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
If I were to visit China, Russia, Iran, or the other usual suspects, I would buy a cheap, old iPhone model. I would sign into an alias iCloud account and leave my actual phone(s) at my domicile. I would then chuck the iPhone after I return. It's the safest way with these hostile nations.

(Also, make all of your social media private prior to leaving your country.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.