Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Quick photo I snapped at the dog park last night. Why did that green dot appear on it?

I really do like this S24U, but there's no question, the Pixel 8 Pro just takes much better photos. Fact.

Attachments

• 20240415_184848.jpg
    20240415_184848.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: Carrotstick

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
The youtubers I saw mentioned are ones that I have seen, so that's good. I still haven't gotten used to the S-Pen yet on this phone and I'm not sure if I will or not. So much to learn with it.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Literally in my post: "Apple isn't perfect and iOS has inconsistencies as well"

Lol.
Yes but also in your post:

The one thing that really bothers me about Samsung is the company's lack of attention to detail in its software; this is the one thing that really sets Apple apart from every other phone manufacturer.

So it does not set them apart they are all equally guilty LOL

Why have you got a black band status bar that feeds your OCD ? :)

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Does anyone here watch any youtubers or listen to any podcasts when it comes to Samsung/Android? When I had the Iphone, I followed Zollotech every week. What is the Android equivalent?
Sam Beckman. More Android app related videos, but his content is pretty good, and he does do some hardware reviews. A fellow Aussie too, don’t see too many tech reviewers here.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I think your throwing stones in a glass house with this one LOL

I am not sure why you even have a black bar there :) my backgrounds go to the top

You only have to go to the settings page on say your IP15PM to see similar asymmetric padding under the pill on the word settings :rolleyes:. Let alone the apps library weird icon arrangements

I think your OCD has become selective :D
Same...

Background image goes to the top, and the bird's eye view glaring at me hides the selfie camera lens

a836cab355a1bbe750abc6dddfdfc455.jpg

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Quick photo I snapped at the dog park last night. Why did that green dot appear on it?

I really do like this S24U, but there's no question, the Pixel 8 Pro just takes much better photos. Fact.
Can the AI editor remove that lens flare? I’m about to jump off the fence and order an S24 Ultra, will be interesting to see what it can do.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Played around with the Ultra for a few hours. It's back in the box ready to return unfortunately. The experiment lasted way shorter than I anticipated. I'm glad I gave it a go.

Hardware is GREAT and I was surprised how much the S Pen was useful for some tasks like cropping and selecting text. The screen is amazing, I'm going to miss the anti glare stuff the most. I can't speak for long term durability but anyone saying Android phones can't match Apple's build quality haven't picked up an S24 Ultra. The only thing that was subpar was the fingerprint scanner, I had to add the same thumb three times to get a seamless experience.

I just can't get on with Android. Don't get me wrong I can see why people like it, I'm not a hater, there's so many adjustments and tweaks that are desperately missing from iOS. Being able to go back by swiping from the right side of the screen is really nice but the compromise is you can't swipe right to go forward in whatever app you're using (Chrome for example).

It's the overall polish and design language that's inconsistent for me vs. iOS. Font sizes are all over the place. In Twitter the font is massive, in Chrome the font is medium size, and in other apps the font is too small. I played around with the screen zoom and font size settings on the device but couldn't get everything to look consistent. I agree with MKBHD, even Google's own apps look better on iPhone. The system integration with my password manager didn't work so great either, I have to jump between the password manager app and the app I want to fill in with my credentials because not every app recognized the password manager for some reason. I didn't like the multitasking menu, it didn't feel smooth. Some of the animations felt very unnatural and disjointed. Overall so many apps felt like they were using totally different design and animation principles.

My conclusion is that Android has a lot of things I like but most of the prime advantages over iOS (specifically multi app split screen usage which is what I really had high hopes for) weren't enough to sway me. There was nothing on the S24 Ultra that could justify owning and using it over my iPhone. Now a folding phone where split screen apps make more sense might be a big enough feature boost over my iPhone...

You might think this is a sin but my takeaway is I want the S24 Ultra hardware with iOS as the software 🤷‍♂️

I might wait to see what the Pixel 9 Pro is like and try again with Google's stock Android. That or wait for the next generation of foldables. I really want a foldable iPhone but that's years away (or potentially never coming)
Not sure if anyone answered this already but you can go forward in Chrome. Not a swipe but top right there are 3 vertical dots, click that and top left is the forward arrow. Got to spend more than 3 hours with it.

For those mentioning it, what is Material You? Maybe I've seen it idk, don't know it by name.

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Not sure if anyone answered this already but you can go forward in Chrome. Not a swipe but top right there are 3 vertical dots, click that and top left is the forward arrow. Got to spend more than 3 hours with it.

For those mentioning it, what is Material You? Maybe I've seen it idk, don't know it by name.

Yeah I know about that but it’s not as quick as a gesture.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
One month with S24U..

I am starting to miss iPhone... I dont even know why, I just do...

What the ****
I’m the same every time I give android a go, I find myself wanting to move back, for no real reason. I usually last 5-6 months. There’s nothing I’ve disliked about the phones or software (well, back when I tried the S2, then S5, iOS was just better, now the OSs are pretty much on par). I rarely use my iPhone along with my MacBook Pro, so I’m not missing anything there, iMessage I’ll get by without, and I’ve only used FaceTime once, ever.
I think it’s more the fact I’m a sucker for the latest shiny bit of tech that I keep switching back, although I haven’t done it for every Galaxy phone. I had the S23U last year, but both cars ended up needing repairs after a storm, so I sold it as it was worth more than the iPhone I had at the time. I think if I kept it I may have been able to break the apple grip, and be using it today (or would have traded for the 24 already).

I’m thinking of having another go with the S24U, and I’ll be able to keep my 15PM this time, without needing to sell to fund the new purchase, so if I get that itch I’ll have an iPhone there, and won’t need to sell the Galaxy to go back.

One thing that’s got me hesitant at the moment (besides my wife thinking I’m an idiot 😂) is the AWU. 18 months with it, and it’s the best smartwatch I’ve ever owned. I’ve figured if I do buy an S24U, I can activate the esim in the AWU and still use it (I can’t have a phone on me at work, so won’t miss notifications, email, or messages), at least until the GW7 comes out. From what I’m reading the 6 is a bit hit and miss with performance, plus it’s not that far off the 7 releasing, which is said to be a decent improvement.

Reactions: JohnRckr

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I'm surprisingly using the Summarize AI quite often in Samsung Internet. It's pretty darn accurate. I like that there is a detailed summary as well.

Also, I can't live without Circle to Search. I use it a lot.
So tempted to check it out. My main hesitation is stepping too deep into the Samsung pool and missing that stuff if I choose another Android device platform on the next iteration :)

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
How do I delete icon pack that I installed? I can only change it but how do I revert back to the original ones that come in OneUI?

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
How do I delete icon pack that I installed? I can only change it but how do I revert back to the original ones that come in OneUI?
Long press on a blank space on the home screen. Select themes. Tap menu (bottom right), then 'My Stuff'.

Tap 'icons' and you should see the default option to select.

A bit long-winded, but that method works for me.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
So how many of you are already thinking about Pixel 9 or iphone 16 lineup? I bet most of us switch like 2-3 a year lol

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
So how many of you are already thinking about Pixel 9 or iphone 16 lineup? I bet most of us switch like 2-3 a year lol
I'll kick the tires on Pixel 9 Pro (if is the same size as 8 Pro).

I think it will take a few more Tensor (and upping hardware quality, in general) iterations. When TMC starts supplying processors, hoping that will go huge over current custom Exynos offerings.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Im skipping Pixel 9. I've done 7 and 8 and I usually don't get a new phone every year but my P7 had little issues with doing some things, like certain websites it would freeze, fingerprint sensor was abismal and my 8 don't....though the FP sensor is only a little better.
iPhone I haven't had one since 2011.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Im skipping Pixel 9. I've done 7 and 8 and I usually don't get a new phone every year but my P7 had little issues with doing some things, like certain websites it would freeze, fingerprint sensor was abismal and my 8 don't....though the FP sensor is only a little better.
iPhone I haven't had one since 2011.
I think this is the first year I may skip Pixel series after 2 years in a row but of course that may change.

I just don't see anything big happening with Tensor until at least next year. I doubt we will get gorilla Armor next year either so I may as well wait.

For now I am looking at the new iPhone SE if it ever comes out and s25 ultra. I will probably upgrade my s24 ultra and I doubt I am going to get anything else than a Samsung next year but this year I am very happy with the s24 Ultra. I am sure something will come out this year that will be better in some way but so far, Samsung has done a great job. As long as they focus on software quality as well as features as they have been doing then I doubt I will be going anywhere.

iPhone 16 might be interesting but I am pretty much out the Apple door and that is why I would really like to get a 2024/25 iPhone SE. It would last a long time and be a great back up phone and alternative to Android. But as my primary driver Samsung is it.

Now Pixel 10 with a possible TSMC or advanced 3nm Samsung node might just be enough to pull me back and gorilla armor. Everyone needs Gorilla armor!! It is a game changer in my opinion. Heck, I would even like to see an LCD panel with gorilla armor. Bet it would be impressive if it was a good lcd panel.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I think this is the first year I may skip Pixel series after 2 years in a row but of course that may change.

I just don't see anything big happening with Tensor until at least next year. I doubt we will get gorilla Armor next year either so I may as well wait.

For now I am looking at the new iPhone SE if it ever comes out and s25 ultra. I will probably upgrade my s24 ultra and I doubt I am going to get anything else than a Samsung next year but this year I am very happy with the s24 Ultra. I am sure something will come out this year that will be better in some way but so far, Samsung has done a great job. As long as they focus on software quality as well as features as they have been doing then I doubt I will be going anywhere.

iPhone 16 might be interesting but I am pretty much out the Apple door and that is why I would really like to get a 2024/25 iPhone SE. It would last a long time and be a great back up phone and alternative to Android. But as my primary driver Samsung is it.

Now Pixel 10 with a possible TSMC or advanced 3nm Samsung node might just be enough to pull me back and gorilla armor. Everyone needs Gorilla armor!! It is a game changer in my opinion. Heck, I would even like to see an LCD panel with gorilla armor. Bet it would be impressive if it was a good lcd panel.
It's easy for me a Fold 6 or a Fold 6 LOL

Undecided on my spare phone as I have a IP15PM and a Flip 5, but if the F6 does not have a big zoom lens this year I may get a S25 and trade in the IP or the Flip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.