Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlinn75

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Greenwood, SC
For me, the primary reason I switched was because my Android Auto worked, but Car Play did not. Also, I was getting bored with Apple's IOS. I am still thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch.
Oh forgot to mention apple tv’s in all the rooms in my house.. with tv. So 3 rooms. I guess Im so deep in the ecosystem its hard to break out..

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Just a question I’m thinking about picking up the s24 ultra 256gb. I have an iPhone 15 Pro max, Apple Watch, Macbook, iPad mini 6, ipad 11“ pro 3rd gen. what do y’all use the android for that you dont want to use the iPhone or whatever device you have. Just a curious. I like the design and customization of android but I haven’t used an android since the s21 ultra which I ended up selling .. Thank you in advance for some intelligent banter.
Its what you cant do not what you do not want to do on a Iphone :)

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
For me, the primary reason I switched was because my Android Auto worked, but Car Play did not. Also, I was getting bored with Apple's IOS. I am still thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch.

If so, I recommend waiting for the Watch 7. It's expected in July. Samsung is bringing back the Pro model. It'll have a 600 mAh battery, which will be one of the biggest batteries on Wear OS.

Reactions: yui4 and jlinn75

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
If so, I recommend waiting for the Watch 7. It's expected in July. Samsung is bringing back the Pro model. It'll have a 600 mAh battery, which will be one of the biggest batteries on Wear OS.

The Watch 6 is discounted at Costco ($80) and it goes until Sunday. That's why I'm thinking about picking one up today.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
The Watch 6 is discounted at Costco ($80) and it goes until Sunday. That's why I'm thinking about picking one up today.

I still wouldn't jump on that. When samsung puts up their page for their upcoming unpacked event, sign up for it. They always email e-vouchers for around $50 - $100. I would easily take a $50 credit (could be $100 as well) on their new watch, over a $80 credit on the old one. Who knows what other promos they throw in.

Reactions: Technerd108

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I still wouldn't jump on that. When samsung puts up their page for their upcoming unpacked event, sign up for it. They always email e-vouchers for around $50 - $100. I would easily take a $50 credit (could be $100 as well) on their new watch, over a $80 credit on the old one. Who knows what other promos they throw in.

I decided to hold off getting the watch. I just sold the Apple Watch and maybe it might be good to stay away from smart watches for a while.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I decided to hold off getting the watch. I just sold the Apple Watch and maybe it might be good to stay away from smart watches for a while.

Good plan.

I never jumped on the smartwatch bandwagon. Mainly due to nearly 4 decades of enterprise IT work including 24x7 alert/response request inundation (in years past) has left me with no desire to be assaulted/distracted by a gadget on my wrist :)

A number of my friends started off with Apple or other ones and dumped them in favor of gigunta and expensive Garmin fenix gadgets. Never owned Garmin devices of any sort, either.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
It seems like MKBHD has been daily-ing the S24U for a while now. When was the last time he daily-ed an Android device over an iPhone?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It seems like MKBHD has been daily-ing the S24U for a while now. When was the last time he daily-ed an Android device over an iPhone?
As far as I recall, he's always gravitated towards Android... but it's never a case where he abandons the iPhone entirely (carries two phones).

Rotating between Android (Samsung or Google) but remains steadfast with an iPhone (due to the ecosystem). Unless he doesn't wear an Apple Watch Ultra anymore? That's a good way of discovering if someone is using an iPhone... I find it funny when I see videos detailing a full switch to Android while wearing an Apple Watch.

Reactions: yui4

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
As far as I recall, he's always gravitated towards Android... but it's never a case where he abandons the iPhone entirely (carries two phones).

Rotating between Android (Samsung or Google) but remains steadfast with an iPhone (due to the ecosystem). Unless he doesn't wear an Apple Watch Ultra anymore? That's a good way of discovering if someone is using an iPhone... I find it funny when I see videos detailing a full switch to Android while wearing an Apple Watch.
He's been leaning more towards the iPhone these last couple of years. I've just noticed that he's been using the S24U a lot--more than he has any other Android these last few years.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
He's been leaning more towards the iPhone these last couple of years. I've just noticed that he's been using the S24U a lot--more than he has any other Android these last few years.
Umm... but a recent vid from SuperSaf regarding what phone YouTubers use (something they do at the beginning of the year) .... it's a Pixel 8 Pro. That's why I mentioned MKBHD switch between Samsung and Google while keeping an iPhone in the other pocket.

You might come to the conclusion he leans more towards the iPhone since he consistently has one.... while alternating between Samsung and Google.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Umm... but a recent vid from SuperSaf regarding what phone YouTubers use (something they do at the beginning of the year) .... it's a Pixel 8 Pro. That's why I mentioned MKBHD switch between Samsung and Google while keeping an iPhone in the other pocket.

You might come to the conclusion he leans more towards the iPhone since he consistently has one.... while alternating between Samsung and Google.
I don’t think you understand what I am saying. I’m not saying MKBHD doesn’t use a P8P (he does), but in comparison to his past Android usage, the S24U is being used a lot more than other Androids, IMO.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I cannot overstate how impressed I have been with Samsung One UI 6.1 with Google's live chat translation and circle to search.

It is literally a game changer for my friend who builds custom houses in Thailand. He has over 20 chat groups in Line, one for each house under construction and extra ones for suppliers, who are all Thai. They send messages all day long. We had to rely on another staff member to liaise as often the questions require immediate response eg what colour tile grout or which way around is something etc etc. Now we can follow all conversations live and respond in their native tongue.

Yesterday we used circle to search twice

One was for a quote where someone gave us an example house photo he would like to build and said it cost 9.5m Bht and could we build it here for a fixed price. We just did a circle and Google found not only the house but the original builder, specs and more plans, but more importantly the costs that started at 10.5m Bht , LOL

My split AC system with hidden ceiling air handling unit is 12 years old now and not working correctly. The compressor is one make, but we did not know the make of the ceiling unit and cannot see the product plate without complete removal. The remote for the AC has no makings, but a quick circle found the companies that use that remote and I easily found the archive product details

Hours of frustrating searching cut down to a few mins I could not believe how good it was matching, We thought we would just get back generic finds, not actual matches, YMMV :)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don’t think you understand what I am saying. I’m not saying MKBHD doesn’t use a P8P (he does), but in comparison to his past Android usage, the S24U is being used a lot more than other Androids, IMO.
I don't wish to keep going back and forth over this. But I do understand you.

I'm only going off your initial question which was regarding MKBHD usage between the iPhone vs Android... I only brought up P8P to iterate that he alternates between Samsung and Google, yet... he's always stayed more in the Android camp over iPhone.

I cannot overstate how impressed I have been with Samsung One UI 6.1 with Google's live chat translation and circle to search.
I'm excited try out those features myself... Fold 4 users are getting them this month.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm excited try out those features myself... Fold 4 users are getting them this month.
Yeah, my Fold 5 and my Flip 5 got them recently, great if the F4's are getting it too

I also have foreign sims and despite my settings are in English the carriers still send sms in local languages

I literally have over 12 years and 100's of sms's I never read :) obliviously 95% are junk promo's but now they are just auto translated and I can read the occasional important one warning me to recharge and top up my credit etc

Not really tried any of the photo editing ones yet and wish the translate extends in to emails

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
What does everyone use as their messages and weather apps? I've been using Google messages because that's the default, but I remember Samsung Messages was pretty good when I had the S21+. It's a shame Samsung seems to be shutting that one down.

As for the weather app, the default one is fine, but is there any one that was better, maybe something similar to the IOS app? I also don't like that character they have (Stick Figure) and wish there was a way to get rid of him. I just want the weather, not some guy with a backwards hat.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
What does everyone use as their messages and weather apps? I've been using Google messages because that's the default, but I remember Samsung Messages was pretty good when I had the S21+. It's a shame Samsung seems to be shutting that one down.

As for the weather app, the default one is fine, but is there any one that was better, maybe something similar to the IOS app? I also don't like that character they have (Stick Figure) and wish there was a way to get rid of him. I just want the weather, not some guy with a backwards hat.
WeatherBug is the one, for me. It's very accurate. Hourly and 10 day are good.

Reactions: PaddyFowler

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

If you are using Android at the moment Google messages is best. I am not sure but I don't think RCS is in Samsung Messages?? In any event, Google messages is not dependent on Samsung or any OEM and works on all Android devices and using the web works cross platform. So I would stick with Google messages if I were you.

Default weather is a decent app. I don't see any advantage to changing it?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm just wondering what the options are. I have used Weatherbug in the past.
After many years of using Android and changing default apps for 3rd party apps or even Google apps and over time I have realized the default apps or Google apps are best. If a default app doesn't work well I will see if Google has an alternative but not too many third party apps are much better to be honest an any of the good ones you have to pay or donate so why pay for something you already have and works?

However, since you may be new I understand the need to try things out. In terms of third party weather apps weatherbug is all I have tried. I have used weather channel and google weather mostly and Samsung weather.

Maybe someone else with more experience with these type of apps can answer better than I.

Goog luck and you can just search in the google store and try a few different weather apps and see if any are to your liking??

Reactions: SteveJUAE

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I love the S24U so much that I bought the Tab S9 Ultra, and I love it. I've been waiting for the new iPads to drop, but I think I am going to stick with the S9 Ultra. The DeX mode is a productivity game changer. I have it permanently in DeX mode. I can pretty much leave my MacBook Pro at home while I am at school/work without missing the desktop experience. I much prefer writing with the S-Pen as well; the softer tip makes it easier to write with.

Also, the tablet is crazy stupid fluid and the speakers are great.

I'm considering getting the 16GB/1TB version (I have the base version with 12GB/256GB). Samsung is killing it. Never thought I'd be a Samsung girl...

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I love the S24U so much that I bought the Tab S9 Ultra, and I love it. I've been waiting for the new iPads to drop, but I think I am going to stick with the S9 Ultra. The DeX mode is a productivity game changer. I have it permanently in DeX mode. I can pretty much leave my MacBook Pro at home while I am at school/work without missing the desktop experience. I much prefer writing with the S-Pen as well; the softer tip makes it easier to write with.

I'm considering getting the 16GB/1TB version (I have the base version with 12GB/256GB). Samsung is killing it. Never thought I'd be a Samsung girl...

Aren't they announcing new Ipads this week?

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010

What services do you use to keep things actively synced between iOS and Android? Considering this tablet as well depending on how Tuesday goes!

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Aren't they announcing new Ipads this week?
They are! On Tuesday. I've always wanted to try the Samsung Tab Ultra. I thought I would give it a try before the new iPads drop. So far, DeX mode has me keeping the S9 Ultra.

Also, the battery life on this thing is insane.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.