Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, I think it’s the best Android software for the Mac. Something I wish Samsung or Google would have developed, but Samsung has ties with Windows and Google uses Chromebooks.

I feel confident in stating majority folks that use Android, don’t use a Mac. So, I can understand why both are not interested in building a better bridge between the Mac and Android.
How can I import my curated iTunes playlists from Mac to Samsung galaxy phone?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Umm... tbh, I'm not quite sure. Because I don't use iTunes... my source of music comes Apple Music.

Do you download music and import it to iTunes, if so... you can transfer that music to the Samsung phone using MacDroid, OpenMTP, or maybe Samsung Switch (although, never used it for file transfers).

Reactions: Tulani

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
And sanity prevailed and I cancelled it. With the exynos and camera still being rubbish for dogs ill stick to my pixel 8 pro.
S23+ (SD) had Pixel 8 Pro beat in the 2+ weeks I ran them side by side. Camera was the only area where Pixel had an advantage. Things in that area have improved to some extent since then.

I imagine S24+ Exynos would run circles around P8P similarly. It would be worth a 15-day test to have a go with it to find out, in my opinion.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
iTunes playlists unfortunately is unique to its application (Apple Music - even iTunes).
You can export the playlist itself (not the music along with it) for some reason Samsung Music doesn't recognize the playlist unfortunately (even if the music has been copied to local storage).

Music : My resolution was to store a local copy of all my Apple Music (iTunes) to my SSD in Windows. Samsung & Microsoft have a tight partnership and via the Google PlayStore give you a basic M365 account with decent online storage for free.
^ caveat - once accepted you're unable to upgrade to a cost tier for more storage & rich MS Office app installation. IF you want to upgrade you'll need to 1st cancel the 1-yr free basic subscription.

Alternatively you can use online storage servers like Mega.nz and upload your music there. Then install the local app on your droid and sync to a local storage on device and voila you have your music - which incidentally can be used as ringtones (no paying Apple nor converting). Welcome to a world of possibilities you can actually use, not just promised & flaunted and never delivered / delivered at a device upgrade purchase ;)

FYI - Google has announced improvements in the transfer app, pending release so this may be resolved soon enough (and data already on the Android device is not overwritten.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
S23+ (SD) had Pixel 8 Pro beat in the 2+ weeks I ran them side by side. Camera was the only area where Pixel had an advantage. Things in that area have improved to some extent since then.

I imagine S24+ Exynos would run circles around P8P similarly. It would be worth a 15-day test to have a go with it to find out, in my opinion.
Hmm.

Did you not notice or use the Pro / ProRAW / ProRES apps within the native camera app by swiping all the way to the right and selecting 'more' ? ;)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is the main reason I prefer iPhone. Face id is so simple to use and for app authentication it's seemless, I absolutely hate in screen fingerprint scanners and for that reason my android phone is always a second phone to get my fix.

The Pixel 4 and and Huawei Mate 20 were on par to iphone for biometrics but for various reasons Google moved away from the 3d Face biometrics and Huawei, well everyone knows the score there.

yep. Before faceID I didnt even bother locking my iphone (shock) it was too inconvenient. FaceID is SO good that it gets out of my way and is so fast that I don't really notice it. By the time I've picked the phone up, it's unlocked.

the Pixel8Pro goes a long way towards it, certainly MUCH better than the S24u but still not quite there.

It may sound a bit OTT but it's a function I use multiple times a day and any niggles add up.

FaceID:
Gen 1 - MAN it was SUPER SLOW! I returned the full retail purchased iPhone X within 13 days and switched to the iPhone 8 back then.

Gen 2 - on the iPhone 12 mini and 13 mini - was faster but STILL the action to look at it (if you enabled retina detection for better security of using FaceID which MOST users SHOULD & DO enable) STILL look about .5/.7 seconds and THAT was JUST to UNLOCK the device.

You still needed to wait for the animation (which you cannot disable btw) before you could swipe to switch and app or begin typing. THAT in and of itself is a quick reminder just how Apple steers you to do things - action + slight pause for 'effects/pinache' then you can proceed to do an action.

I cannot even recall if iOS remembers your last place after auto lock?

Get ANY Android user that knows their phone well enough vs an iOS user of the same and watch JUST how much faster they are at getting the same action done:

Open an application,
Navigation to open a specific picture,
Jump from one application to Maps/GoogleMaps/etc and plot a destination with guidance ready to begin (manually entering the destination not copy/paste).

Apple even had to go back on their insult of Android some 7yrs ago regarding NFC contact sharing vai a Bump. And it was the SAME employee that made the insult and applauded (I laughed and agreed at the time) to do a reversal stating its 'great' and a whole SLOW UI to announce the contact sharing.

me too. I have some really great watches which I haven't been wearing since I've had an apple watch. tbh I'm not a mega fitness geek so I've gone to an Oura ring, mainly for sleep tracking, and am wearing my nice watches again now.

I'm more concerned about my insomnia and sleep tracking lately, yet I'm conflicted about the full fitness metrics I miss being tracked.

I'm waiting for the Samsung Ring to be launched and check out features and pricing. IF Samsung Ring can offer/do the SAME major tennants of fitness tracking as the Galaxy Watch S6 Classic can, then I'm in. I just hope it has a 6-axis gyroscope as this will be helpful for squats, range of motion exercises - including depth information for proper exercise form.

Barbell Wrist Curls - one particular exercise movement I doubt would be accurately measured on any fitness watch. Apple Watch S3-S9 doesn't know this exercise at all. I've not tested any other watch. Apps like Strong! will send hypothetical data based on 'time' and 'rest' periods nothing caloric nor O2 being used up unfortunately.

Barbell Pronated Curls - this while can be measured, I'd like to see the amount of O2 spent during the exercise or even blood pressure isolated in the hands and wrist and forearms if that could be done.

But sleep tracking and levels of sleep --- I DESPARATELY NEED this! I've been an Insomniac since I was 5yrs old - That's over 45yrs ago. I still have intense nightmares or difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep vs a few weeks every 6 months or so where I need micro naps throughout a few days. The source of the original nightmares that kicked in insomnia no longer affects me (but I still can distinctively pick out just the first 3 tones/notes of that movies theme song - so much that almost 30yrs later the prequel The Thing 2011 played randomly during its debut and I leaped over the kitchen island of my old condo, jumped over my son and the couche and expertly hit the power off button on the TV remote - ALL in less than 2 seconds flat while I was making pancakes!

The night terrors - just a few, and my son experienced 1 already a few years back: is something I wouldn't evne think of wishing upon anyone even my worst enemy (past/future) - its much worse than a nightmare with out of body exerience with some residual paralax in your vision.

So yeah fixing my sleep is CRUCIAL to my mental health and before long my sanity. I'll research up on the Oura, I just dislike having a subscription to get all the useful functions (its like being forced on medication - which I've had my fare share of in life due to insomnia).

Today I have installed a camera lens protector on my S24U (I am huge fan of those, had it on my 15PM too) and the phone looks sexier than ever!
View attachment 2369089
Definitely looks the kit mate!

I've been so tempted to pick up S24U last few days lol but I know one phone would have to go out ..
Bruv just do it. Get one. Do a full backup 1st of the current phone. Then migrate and power off for a full month and feel free to ask as many questions you need here and abroad (including Samsung Members/native app).

You'll be so glad you did!

PS: Apple's M4 launch in JUST the iPad Pro 2024 series seems like a BIG knee-jerk reaction to the upcoming product launches using Qualcomm's X Plus and X Elite ARM SoC's. Stating the iPad Pro could not be done without the M4 is such hot-stinking-garbage! A separate display-driver-chip could've handled the tandem OLED displays without much silicon space used on the board nor barely affecting power consumption.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
True, if Samsung made a deal with Google to combine both Samsung and Google accounts as well as MS accounts. Apple’s ecosystem would have less merit.

If we could easily talk with Windows, Google services on Galaxy devices that would be great.

That being said I am slowly started moving to Samsung. I got a Tab S9 last week and plan on getting a S25 (if money permits). The OneUI and its features have surpassed iOS and iPadOS.

Welcome friend!

Honestly I'm sort of against that proposal. There are certain software features and services of Google's I do NOT want any part of:

Google Assistant - I don't want it. I don't want ANYTHING I say are part of Google's lexicon collective. period. I've tried uninstalling it will NOT install. Google backed it fully into the entire OS where by tapping and holding text Google's Assistant UI pops-up. I'd rather just Bixby or Samsung's own - to get that I use Dictionary to define or translate - which I cannot tell if its Samsungs Translate App (I'm using their keyboard btw) or Google's?

Google Drive - will NOT ever use it. I don't trust my data with Google for them to continually go through. Yeah I'm using an Android so I can freeze it but the app still shows up after a reboot. THAT is bloat to me not Samsungs apps.

There are other oddities but I feel Google needs to be called into court for BOTH being a key software, services supplier AND a competitor to all their customers - Nexus then Pixel products. This should NEVER happen as they already dictate what CAN/IS allowed and what isn't. This is forced onto the end user - a little less than Apple but still it should NOT.

I am excited for the Galaxy Z Fold 6 yet unsure I'll jump to it.

Reactions: Carrotstick

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Welcome friend!

Honestly I'm sort of against that proposal. There are certain software features and services of Google's I do NOT want any part of:

Google Assistant - I don't want it. I don't want ANYTHING I say are part of Google's lexicon collective. period. I've tried uninstalling it will NOT install. Google backed it fully into the entire OS where by tapping and holding text Google's Assistant UI pops-up. I'd rather just Bixby or Samsung's own - to get that I use Dictionary to define or translate - which I cannot tell if its Samsungs Translate App (I'm using their keyboard btw) or Google's?

Google Drive - will NOT ever use it. I don't trust my data with Google for them to continually go through. Yeah I'm using an Android so I can freeze it but the app still shows up after a reboot. THAT is bloat to me not Samsungs apps.

There are other oddities but I feel Google needs to be called into court for BOTH being a key software, services supplier AND a competitor to all their customers - Nexus then Pixel products. This should NEVER happen as they already dictate what CAN/IS allowed and what isn't. This is forced onto the end user - a little less than Apple but still it should NOT.

I am excited for the Galaxy Z Fold 6 yet unsure I'll jump to it.
Interesting take. That method I proposed will also create a monopoly.

I see users being upset with that.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014

I'm sure it's a better phone, but the camera is very important to me and I was thinking back to how poor my s23 plus was with pictures of my dog. And how poor the quality was compared to my pixel. I know raw is meant to be better, but 1, file size, and 2 I need a point and shoot straight away as dogs don't stay in funny poses for long.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
iTunes playlists unfortunately is unique to its application (Apple Music - even iTunes).
You can export the playlist itself (not the music along with it) for some reason Samsung Music doesn't recognize the playlist unfortunately (even if the music has been copied to local storage).

Music : My resolution was to store a local copy of all my Apple Music (iTunes) to my SSD in Windows. Samsung & Microsoft have a tight partnership and via the Google PlayStore give you a basic M365 account with decent online storage for free.
^ caveat - once accepted you're unable to upgrade to a cost tier for more storage & rich MS Office app installation. IF you want to upgrade you'll need to 1st cancel the 1-yr free basic subscription.

Alternatively you can use online storage servers like Mega.nz and upload your music there. Then install the local app on your droid and sync to a local storage on device and voila you have your music - which incidentally can be used as ringtones (no paying Apple nor converting). Welcome to a world of possibilities you can actually use, not just promised & flaunted and never delivered / delivered at a device upgrade purchase ;)

FYI - Google has announced improvements in the transfer app, pending release so this may be resolved soon enough (and data already on the Android device is not overwritten.

Thank you so much for helping me out with all these ideas

I have a lot of music that I collect over the years and carefully curated into playlists on my Mac

Now that I have almost ditched the iPhone for all various reason expressed even on this thread I have been looking at best ways to bring over my "local" music to my Samsung phone(s)

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I'm sure it's a better phone, but the camera is very important to me and I was thinking back to how poor my s23 plus was with pictures of my dog. And how poor the quality was compared to my pixel. I know raw is meant to be better, but 1, file size, and 2 I need a point and shoot straight away as dogs don't stay in funny poses for long.
Man I'm indecisive, I decided to pony up for the Ultra in Violet as they are reduced atm on samsungs site plus I get student discount, and £100 for a motorola that I brought second hand for £45 back in 2016 for a festival so £920 in all for 512gb model

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You don't need to use ProRAW you can just use the Pro features.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I honestly prefer OneUI on a huge screen.
How'd you get the clock to look like that... and we desperately need more widgets.
Screenshot_20240512_092825_One UI Home.png

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
No. Completely not. Had S10+ back in the days, it was unusable because of those rounded corners. It was a pleasure to upgrade to 11 Pro a year after.

One UI is good but the Android underneath isn’t. Google does not care about optimizing system services and generally Google Play store is a trashbin, there are no apps.

So if you need just a phone to make calls – even cheapest budget Samsung will do. But if you have some creative hobbies like photography, music, videos then it is definitely not for you. Although I haven’t said you cannot do that.

Also it feels like Samsung is not interested in competing with Apple. The processors they put inside are at least 3 generations behind what Apple has. And their solutions are not that power efficient for things like gaming. Btw Android game performance has always been a disaster. None of my iPhones heated like that during casual games

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oh forgot to mention apple tv’s in all the rooms in my house.. with tv. So 3 rooms. I guess Im so deep in the ecosystem its hard to break out..
Loose the AppleTVs.

Sell them. The aftermarket cost of 1 pays for 2 out if 3 Amazon FireStickTV's

Use less power,
Support a huge magnitude of apps including Apple TV + for streaming,
AND Samsung Dex works perfectly!

Ever try browsing, editing a resume, uploading to LinkediN or any other site and applying for jobs via AppleTV + ios?! Don't get me started with working remotely with Citrix - even without the latter you're dead in the water!

The simple fact that iPhone is STILL a phone in it's design a d mythos for existence by Apple forces you to collect a myriad of expensive products unnecessarily!

And costly. It's 2024 and computing shouldn't be like that. Took me 12-14yrs to see what I already long known and just fell into the trap of not wanting to troubleshoot after work. Was I soo wrong!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I love the S24U so much that I bought the Tab S9 Ultra, and I love it. I've been waiting for the new iPads to drop, but I think I am going to stick with the S9 Ultra. The DeX mode is a productivity game changer. I have it permanently in DeX mode. I can pretty much leave my MacBook Pro at home while I am at school/work without missing the desktop experience. I much prefer writing with the S-Pen as well; the softer tip makes it easier to write with.

Also, the tablet is crazy stupid fluid and the speakers are great.

I'm considering getting the 16GB/1TB version (I have the base version with 12GB/256GB). Samsung is killing it. Never thought I'd be a Samsung girl...

Right!!!?!
Dex is a real game changer for real, no cap!
Plus the IP68 raring for the Tab S9 series ads that much more confidence in the life span of the product and where you can use it - beach artists rejoice!

ive always invisioned the iPad as the pure comouter replacement when the first Pro series debuted. Even thinking a parkourist courier could jump in a car unleash the iPad place on the dash for navigation etc then pull it quick for the on foot or bike dash then home bam on the desk or wall for whatever. IPad lagged in development while the Tab relinquished that vision.

@drinktea ID wait before upgrading to see if the next generation includes the Qualcomm 8 Gen 4 - a very significant SoC change which is said to be close to M2 Pro performance that can actually be used on the platform.

Some people complain about the Samsung UI on the S24 Ultra, things buried under layers of menus, is it as bad as they say?

Oh no. Not like it was some 10yrs ago.
The settings menu is very simplified, and logical.

There are 2 things that come to mind where 1 may think of anything burried:
Setup of push sms codes to auto input into a text field prompt. ATM I cannot recall the 2 locations to get it right or close to iOS. Unfortunately not all webmasters setup sites or popups to read inbound push sms for this (not isolated to Android either I've seen this with 12 mini and 13 mini same sites).

Some listing's in Settings have a toggle switch yet by pressing and holding brings up more informative information or more options. After encountering 2, you end up pressing and holding for changes that you think more than 2 seconds for anyways. Samsung could do better at making these more visible but it's not that heavy or many like that at all. It surely beats tap tap tap too far in. Searchable items brings such listing's to light anyway.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Loose the AppleTVs.
I can never do that lol. The Apple TV and the Mac are the only Apple products I truly like. They last a forever I know some still use the Apple TVs from 2012.

Ever try browsing, editing a resume, uploading to LinkediN or any other site and applying for jobs via AppleTV + ios?! Don't get me started with working remotely with Citrix - even without the latter you're dead in the water!
No, because I would use my laptop/tablet for that. I never seen anybody use a streaming box like that before.
Dex is a real game changer for real, no cap!
Plus the IP68 raring for the Tab S9 series ads that much more confidence in the life span of the product and where you can use it - beach artists rejoice!
I got a tab s9 cause it was cheaper way to OLED and it’s much cheaper than an OLED iPad and I needed some niche Android apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.